Smart Plug Conversion?

I had the opportunity to review my neighbors new Airstream recently. Of interest is the Smart Plug connection and cord. It appears the Smart Plug provides a improved secure connection. I found that conversion kits exist for purchase.

Has anyone completed the conversion to a Smart Plug? Advice? Post conversion regret?

2022 Oliver Legacy Elite II, Hull 1242, 9/26/22

Lithium Platinum Power/Solar Package

Tow with Supercrew Cab 2019 F-150 4 x4, 5.0L 4-Valve V8 with 3.73 axle ratio & 157" wheelbase.

F-150 GCWR of 16,900 lbs with maximum load trailer of 11,500 lbs.

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory
  • Moderator+

I assume you are speaking of this one...

https://www.amazon.com/Smart-Plug-B30ASSYPB-Non-Metallic-Connector/dp/B0194H9T92/ref=sr_1_3?hvadid=305027195902&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=1020828&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=935590151030099993&hvtargid=kwd-384981510441&hydadcr=10101_10948922&keywords=rv+smart+plug&qid=1690758187&sr=8-3&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.f5122f16-c3e8-4386-bf32-63e904010ad0

Amazon's Description:

• Eliminates Overheating - Increased pin and clip surface area greatly improves electrical conductivity during high amperage demand
  • Weather Resistant Seals - Multi-fin silicone gaskets installed in the inlet cover and the plug body eliminates moisture penetration
  • Quick and Easy Installation - Inlet mounting flange holes match twist-type holes for an installation that is typically finished in 30 minutes
  • The SmartPlug Combo Kit includes both a 30 Amp 125 Volt inlet connector and a retro-fit connector. The retro-fit connector is designed to be used with your existing cord. This package offers superior performance and ease of use. The inlets are available in stainless steel and three non-metallic colors, (White, Gray or Black), of high performance/flame resistant material. Increased pin and clip surface area greatly improves electrical conductivity during high amperage demand. No twist required, the unique plug body shape and push-in design mean it only goes in the right way every time - even in the dark! Side clips and inlet cover lock the plug body securely into the inlet which eliminates any stress on the electrical components by the movement of the power cord. Multi-fin silicone gaskets installed in the inlet cover and the plug body eliminates moisture penetration. Inlet mounting flange holes match twist-type holes for an installation that is typically finished in 30 minutes.

There may well be some advantages with the Smart Plug, but I'm not too sure that I can see $150 worth of difference in this and what comes installed on the Oliver.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

Hi 

if we buy an Oliver, the smart plug will be one of the first mods I do to the trailer. I have used the twist style plastic connection on previous trailers and the smart plug is superior. 

I have also asked our salesman Josh to have it installed from the factory and they would not entertain the idea. So far Oliver does not seem very responsive for a $100k trailer 

Eric 

• Like 1

• Moderator+
6 hours ago, Eric. said:

Hi

if we buy an Oliver, the smart plug will be one of the first mods I do to the trailer. I have used the twist style plastic connection on previous trailers and the smart plug is superior.

I have also asked our salesman Josh to have it installed from the factory and they would not entertain the idea. So far Oliver does not seem very responsive for a $100k trailer

Eric 

Oliver will not make any substitutions or modifications during the construction phase. They probably would be willing to make the swap in service before delivery. If you have the ability to do it yourself, you should.

• Like 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

Wondering how this is better than the standard twist-lock. Reviewers talk about standard cords with melted connectors or arc damage on standard cords. Melted connectors are usually caused by operating large draws like the A/C with low campground voltage (a problem addressed by the Progressive EMS), or by loose connections. The standard twist-lock should provide ample connection surfaces if it is used correctly (twisted to the locked position). As far as arc damage, that will happen to any connector that is disconnected under load. The pedestal breaker should be opened before disconnecting the cord. The same would be true with the Smart Plug.

With a special plug like this, you'd have trouble sourcing a quick replacement if something happened to it, while standard cords are available at every RV shop and replacement plugs/receptacles at any Home Depot. And what is "The retro-fit connector...designed to be used with your existing cord"? If it's an adapter that goes on the end of your regular cord, you still have a twist-lock in the system.

I'd need a lot more convincing before purchasing.

• Like 9

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

13 hours ago, ScubaRx said:

I assume you are speaking of this one...

<snip>

There may well be some advantages with the Smart Plug, but I'm not too sure that I can see $150 worth of difference in this and what comes installed on the Oliver.

I have never had an issue with the twist lock style plugs.   For me, it’s a solution in search of a problem.

• Like 7

Hull #364 - The Roadrunner 

2023 F350 CCLB SRW 6.7L

ALAKAZARCACOFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMSMO

Continuing with my product research; meanwhile thanks all for the thoughts and input. I do believe the product is superior to the twist lock type however Steph's comment on "quick replacement" is worth pondering.

A $150 investment on a high value trailer is not a concern if the product provides more protection for  the high value trailer.

Again, thanks all.

• Like 1

2022 Oliver Legacy Elite II, Hull 1242, 9/26/22

Lithium Platinum Power/Solar Package

Tow with Supercrew Cab 2019 F-150 4 x4, 5.0L 4-Valve V8 with 3.73 axle ratio & 157" wheelbase.

F-150 GCWR of 16,900 lbs with maximum load trailer of 11,500 lbs.

• Moderator+

The worst problems I’ve seen while assisting other owners with electrical problems has always been loose connections. The fact that this setup requires you to cut the molded female plug off your existing power cable and replace it with the smart plug indicates to me there will be some screws involved in the attachment of the new connector. To me, herein lies the potential for future issues. Every melted wire I’ve ever seen has been due to a loose or frayed screw connection. If the system included molded plugs on a 40 foot cord, I’d like it a lot better. Of course, then it would cost $300. 

• Like 4

• 4 months later...

Disadvantage are that it becomes a unique connection on my extension cord.  Or finding a replacement while on the road would be more difficult as well compared to our OEM.  So long as our OEM is working, I'll pocket the $140. 

GJ

image.png.0e5a7c903de780389b17aedbc2b34212.png

• Like 4

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

On 12/28/2023 at 12:51 PM, Geronimo John said:

Disadvantage are that it becomes a unique connection on my extension cord.  Or finding a replacement while on the road would be more difficult as well compared to our OEM.  So long as our OEM is working, I'll pocket the $140. 

GJ

image.png.0e5a7c903de780389b17aedbc2b34212.png

Same.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  All the twist locks I've used over the years work fine with the exception of that ridiculously flimsy, woefully and ineffectively threaded, plastic locking ring.

• Like 5

2014 Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel 4X4 Truck

2024 Oliver Legacy Elite II Hull 1460

ARILINIAKSKYLAMIMNMONMOHOKPASDTNTXVAmed.

• Moderators

Smart plug has been around a good while, but it's earliest iteration probably gave it the "smart" label. First gen had a bimetal thermostat that cut power at 200 degrees farenheight, but resumed sending power at 120. This is no longer part of the smart plug, as a) users got frustrated with random power outages, and bad mouthed the product, not understanding why they lost power (didn't read the manual)  b) (most importantly) ABYC (yacht equipment  rating/approval  system, like rvia, for rvs) didn't like the concept. Imagine if you will, ac goes out in the middle of the hot night, and owner digs in, removes covers, digs around,  gets a heck of a shock when cord resumes sending power, because the thermostat on the smart plug cooled to below 120. Lights, etc., on boat  are still working, because they're 12v , so they didn't check 120 input.   C) thermostat didn't always work as designed, and they still had some meltdowns. The integrated thermostat has been discontinued, years ago. 

I do like the no-fail, odd shaped connection design, and the latching mechanism of the Smart Plug, but not enough to consider changing the connections on our boat for the many $$$$$. I, too, can't figure out the 27x greater contact. I'd like to see an engineering report in that.

Most meltdowns are caused by overloading,  or corrosion,  or crappy connections, or all of the above. 

BTW, Marinco has a new EEL cord (easy engagement something)  connector with spring wings, a slight twist, positive locking mechanism, probably designed to combat Smart Plug, that works with the standard twist lock input. It's a whole bunch less than smart plug cords, and undoubtedly tested to Marinco safety standards. It even has a little led light in the plug, so you can (sort of) see what you're doing, if you're setting up in the dark without a headlanp.  I haven't seen an EEL yet, in person, but likely will at the winter boat shows. I like the videos, though.

Many boats use a strap for stress relief at connection point. Those 10/3 cords are really heavy . Another consideration. On the few occasions that we plug in, we at least drape the cord over the tire, to alleviate some stress (ollie), and use straps at dock and boat. 

Edit to add: EEL Marinco short video

• Like 4

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderator+

While it would work right out of the box with virtually any RV, the EEL (Easily Engaged Lock) is marketed toward the marine industry. In looking at the stats, it doesn’t seem to offer any earth shattering benefits over the twist lock cord that came with our Oliver’s. You still have to line up the terminals, twist it into place and release the locking ‘wings’. 

• Like 6

Wow Steve that's some great investigative work. 

22 hours ago, ScubaRx said:

I didn't find any evidence that this is a better product than the power receptacle that was supplied when the Oliver was delivered. If any of you want to change your plugs out, go ahead. Or, you could just make sure the screws are tight instead.

So much that as the Chairman of the Oliver Rabbit Hole Society, I hereby bequeath upon you a lifetime membership at the Professional Level.  At this level you have the rights to the title of "Chief Rabbit Hole Excavator". 

Congratulation!

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

• Moderators

I totally agree on the cost vs benefit ratio, for an rv, on the smart plug. The cords are ridiculously expensive, imo. In a marina, where many boats don't move for months, may be worth it, especially in areas with big tide changes, or busy spots where the boats get moved by wakes often. And, salt air/saltwater, especially. 

I haven't seen the EEL in person, so I'll reserve judgment on that one until I do. It, too, is geared to the marine market, imo. But, at least it's only a $40 increase in investment, on a 25' cord, and uses the common  connection. What I don't see is much extra benefit in water intrusion...

Of course, unplugging on a regular basis, and examining for loose connections and corrosion,  is free, but for a few minutes' time. Priceless, actually.

• Like 5

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

The Smart Plug looks to be perhaps a quicker connection? Water tight? What is the criteria? Is the OEM outlet/plug inferior? I like the screw ring on the OEM plug, it's in there, a SOLID connection. I'm with some others here, not my time and money. Sheesh, I've made a dozen upgrades in just 6 months, didn't think of this one. With solar we rarely connect, and the cord mostly sits in the Oliver trunk!

• Thanks 1
  • Like 5

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

• Moderators
15 hours ago, jd1923 said:

With solar we rarely connect, and the cord mostly sits in the Oliver trunk

That's true for many. Others plug in all the time. I'm not even considering this for the boat, as we haven't had to "plug in" the last six years, since we added solar.

Everyone's camping style is different.  But, I'm glad Oliver continues with a relatively affordable industry standard connection. The price of smart plug cords, for a rv,  is ridiculous,  imo. But, each to his own style. If someone else balances cost vs convenience, and convenience  wins, I'm no one to judge.

• Like 5

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderator+
15 hours ago, jd1923 said:

The Smart Plug looks to be perhaps a quicker connection?

Maybe by a few seconds.

Water tight?

Yes, as is the OEM.

What is the criteria? Is the OEM outlet/plug inferior?

The Smartplug is NOT Superior.

I like the screw ring on the OEM plug, it's in there, a SOLID connection.

Yep.

I'm with some others here, not my time and money. Sheesh, I've made a dozen upgrades in just 6 months, didn't think of this one. With solar we rarely connect, and the cord mostly sits in the Oliver trunk!

Same here. Our trailer has a 45' Cord attached to an electric reel mounted under the front dinette seat, so it's mostly stored away also. The only exceptions are when we are at home and at the annual Rally.

• Like 2

On 1/1/2024 at 1:11 PM, Geronimo John said:

Wow Steve that's some great investigative work. 

So much that as the Chairman of the Oliver Rabbit Hole Society, I hereby bequeath upon you a lifetime membership at the Professional Level.  At this level you have the rights to the title of "Chief Rabbit Hole Excavator". 

Congratulation!

Wait, how do I achieve this level of Rabbit Holiness?  This is literally my life dream.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

• Moderators
7 hours ago, Jason Foster said:

Wait, how do I achieve this level of Rabbit Holiness? 

If you have to ask then this exalted position is well above your station in this life - sorry.

• Haha 7

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

2 hours ago, topgun2 said:
10 hours ago, Jason Foster said:

Wait, how do I achieve this level of Rabbit Holiness? 

If you have to ask then this exalted position is well above your station in this life - sorry.

Well said.  However through exhaustive study and practice, I have learned that some are engineers who definitely were born with a warped sense of humor.  

• Haha 6

• Moderator+
10 hours ago, Jason Foster said:

Wait, how do I achieve this level of Rabbit Holiness?  This is literally my life dream.

Patience, young grasshopper, all will revealed to you when the time is right.

C.R.H.E.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Geronimo John said:

I have learned that some are engineers who definitely were born with a warped sense of humor. 

"some"  ??????????????????😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

14 hours ago, topgun2 said:

Sadly, though I indeed have the capacity to dive deep into the proverbial rabbit hole, I am entirely too lazy to dig to the depth of self harm.  😞

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I will keep continue to use the OEM plug and cord. So far it’s worked great. 👍🏻 

• Like 3

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor 

IMG_2879.jpeg