Suspension Rust on 2017 Oliver - a problem or not?

Cort

I'm looking at a 2017 Oliver to possibly buy. It's lived its life in the Pacific Northwest and in the last year and a half in a beach town - and it shows! I don't know how damaging it is - I've never been around rust before -  I don't know if its cosmetic or there's a real problem. (I assume the shocks need replacing). Lots of rust on the leaf springs, shocks, axle, inside the tire, and I guess the shackles.  

If I do get this trailer it will probably mostly live in the southwest. 

image2(1).thumb.jpeg.478ea46a4d4ec97c138a1f859916d45d.jpegimage3(1).thumb.jpeg.58e9f624862b39d59c9873a3d85134d7.jpeglive in the 

image0(1).thumb.jpeg.566a5d12f9972841f125b918efaf33c1.jpeg

• Wow 3

2023 Chevrolet Express 4x4 - 2019 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull 529 - Roaming the Western US with Skye (my dog) (and at times my Canadian partner). 

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Travel Trailers for Sale
New Travel Trailers for Sale
  • Moderators

Cort - Is that "scale" on the aluminum stringer too?  What does the aluminum frame look like?  It appears as if this Oliver has the EZ Flex suspension.  If that is correct, does it appear that the zerks have been used (i.e. did the owner ever lubricate this suspension?) ?

Actually, even though the shocks look bad, you really can't tell unless you test them.  The black rubber pieces at the top of the shock appear to be in good shape - particular for a 2017.  Any idea of how many miles the owner put on this Ollie?

Did you scrape any of that rust off?  If yes, how deep does it go?  For the most part it appears to be surface rust (i.e. no deep pitting).  Certainly it would be a fair amount of work (assuming that it is surface rust) but it is possible that it could be brought back assuming that you are a bit handy with taking things apart, really cleaning them, and repainting them.

Bill 

• Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Near Asheville, NC

10 minutes ago, topgun2 said:

Cort - Is that "scale" on the aluminum stringer too?  What does the aluminum frame look like?  It appears as if this Oliver has the EZ Flex suspension.  If that is correct, does it appear that the zerks have been used (i.e. did the owner ever lubricate this suspension?) ?

Actually, even though the shocks look bad, you really can't tell unless you test them.  The black rubber pieces at the top of the shock appear to be in good shape - particular for a 2017.  Any idea of how many miles the owner put on this Ollie?

Did you scrape any of that rust off?  If yes, how deep does it go?  For the most part it appears to be surface rust (i.e. no deep pitting).  Certainly it would be a fair amount of work (assuming that it is surface rust) but it is possible that it could be brought back assuming that you are a bit handy with taking things apart, really cleaning them, and repainting them.

Bill 

As I remember the aluminum frame looks fine.  It does have the EZ flex suspension. I will check on the zerk lubrication. The owner did have it to Oliver for maintenance a couple of times.  It's been a couple of years but she said no one said anything about the rust. Then again, it's been at the beach since then. I will try to find out if the zerks have been lubed and how often. I think they should be lubed fairly frequently. 

It has about 20K on it. 

Did not try to scrape the rust off - I guess that's next. Thanks!

• Like 2

2023 Chevrolet Express 4x4 - 2019 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull 529 - Roaming the Western US with Skye (my dog) (and at times my Canadian partner). 

I personally would steer VERY clear of any trailer that looks like that, there has to be all sorts of hidden corrosion that you don’t know about, until later. A lot of Pacific Coast beaches are very toxic for all vehicles due to sea fog, the wide flat sandy beaches dry out at low tide and the prevailing westerly winds blow it across everything in its path on the shore. I was at Tillium Beach OR, there were a couple of days like that, there were dried salt crystals on the truck and trailer, and the ebike rusted badly in a couple of areas.

There are plenty of other Ollies to choose from that won’t make you wince when you look underneath. Here is Hull 218, I just sold it a couple of months ago. 25,000 miles towing, stored indoors always. Look for one that hasn’t been towed in winter, the caustic mag chloride and brine  deicers are nasty indeed. Don’t worry about u bolt rust, they all do that within a month, they are raw steel. Just spray penetrating oil on the threads every other year.

IMG_4309.thumb.jpeg.700c3263938b2307bbf9bf80290b9bd9.jpeg

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 4

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: 

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

1 hour ago, John E Davies said:

I personally would steer VERY clear of any trailer that looks like that, there has to be all sorts of hidden corrosion that you don’t know about, until later. A lot of Pacific Coast beaches are very toxic for all vehicles due to sea fog, the wide flat sandy beaches dry out at low tide and the prevailing westerly winds blow it across everything in its path on the shore. I was at Tillium Beach OR, there were a couple of days like that, there were dried salt crystals on the truck and trailer, and the ebike rusted badly in a couple of areas.

There are plenty of other Ollies to choose from that won’t make you wince when you look underneath. Here is Hull 218, I just sold it a couple of months ago. 25,000 miles towing, stored indoors always. Look for one that hasn’t been towed in winter, the caustic mag chloride and brine  deicers are nasty indeed. Don’t worry about u bolt rust, they all do that within a month, they are raw steel. Just spray penetrating oil on the threads every other year.

IMG_4309.thumb.jpeg.700c3263938b2307bbf9bf80290b9bd9.jpeg

John Davies

Spokane WA

Thanks, John for your insights. Your old trailer looks a heck of a lot different.  Interesting you should mention the long beaches, the tides and the winds.  For the past year and a half or so the trailer has been stored outside about 1/2 mile from a very, very big beach in Washington. Maybe that's when the rust really got going. 

• Like 3

I would agree with JD, " caustic mag chloride & brine  deicers", add to that being close to the ocean for that "Salt" moisture drift.

Others that live close to costal salt water may want to chime in.

B~Out

Remember, "Rust Never Sleeps"
Neil Young w/Crazy Horse 1979

Edited by SNY SD UP
Rust Never Sleeps
  • Like 3

Maggie & Bryan | Arnegard, ND | 2020 LE II "Twins" Hull #665 | 2021 RAM 2500  6.4L HEMI Gasser  4dr  6.5' bed

ABBCMBNBNTNSONPEQCSKYTALARCTDEFLGAILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMONENHNJNYNCNDOHOKPARISCSDTNTXVTVAWVWIxlg.jpg.d41b39fcf844ad1935d35acdc8a6c203.jpg

• Moderators

I'd be replacing 2017 shocks, anyway. They're likely due.

Much of what I see in photos is relatively light "surface rust". That can be removed with heavy duty scotchbrites, and some likely very  uncomfortable time under the trailer. 

However, I see some pitting, possibly deep, that I'd want to explore, further. Blistered pock marks make me very nervous.

The heavy coatings of even surface rust make me wonder about even minimal care and maintenance, heretofore. 

Give some serious thought into how much time you want to devote to correcting  deferred care and maintenance. 

Interior systems may have been neglected, also.

Some folks can't/don't know how important it is to/ clean chemicals and salt off trailers/cars/ plants.

• Like 4

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

@Cort:  Definitely take heed to John's earlier comments...  "It's what you don't see that will bite you in the you-know-what."  If you decide to buy this trailer be certain to use the apparent lack of preventive maintenance in your negotiation strategy and learn to spell, "Elbow Grease."  Good luck!

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca"
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

ALAZARCOIDLAMSMTNMOKTNTXUTWYsm.jpg

17 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

I'd be replacing 2017 shocks, anyway. They're likely due.

Much of what I see in photos is relatively light "surface rust". That can be removed with heavy duty scotchbrites, and some likely very  uncomfortable time under the trailer. 

However, I see some pitting, possibly deep, that I'd want to explore, further. Blistered pock marks make me very nervous.

The heavy coatings of even surface rust make me wonder about even minimal care and maintenance, heretofore. 

Give some serious thought into how much time you want to devote to correcting  deferred care and maintenance. 

Interior systems may have been neglected, also.

Some folks can't/don't know how important it is to/ clean chemicals and salt off trailers/cars/ plants.

Thanks! I don't mind getting up close and personal with a trailer and scraping that rust off - but I think I would feel better with something else. I actually think she's done a good job with maintenance otherwise but probably just missed this. 

Thanks Max Burner - Not having any acquaintance with rust I think we're going to be conservative and look elsewhere. Too bad - very nice seller - would have loved to take it off her hands. 

• Moderators

Obviously, most purchase decisions come down to what does one get for the price being paid.  Given the amount of work it would take to get this Ollie back to where it should be I would expect a fair discount from what might be considered an "average" price for a similarly equipped 2017.  Of course this discount would also have to include a bit for those items that just might not be so apparent.  If the rust is deep then the discount should include the actual replacement of those parts.

Any way you slice it - there should be a heavy price paid for not keeping your equipment in reasonable condition.  Perhaps a contact with the guys in Oliver Service might help you to actually determine what they think the costs might be.

Good luck no matter which way you decide to go.

Bill

• Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Near Asheville, NC

@Cort

It’s without question the used Oliver in your OP has been really neglected. This is what you actually can see. The larger concern which should concern any buyer is what you don’t see? With the number of Olivers for sale lately surely the right one will come along.

I think you are very wise to move on regardless of how nice the seller is. 
All the best and happy hunting!

Patriot🇺🇸

• Like 2

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR”

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor 

North Carolina 🇺🇸

IMG_2879.jpeg

Thanks, Topgun and Patriot. 

I looked at my emails and saw that the owner asked Oliver about the rust in the hitch area in 2020 and was told it was not a problem.  Since she's kept with everything otherwise in excellent shape I think if she knew it might be a problem she would have addressed it. 

I actually never would have thought to look - although my partner reminded it had been stored at the beach - except I wanted, after reading about the suspension on the Forums, to look at it! I wonder how many people actually get under their trailers and look. 

Honestly, the rust I see in the photos doesn't look much different from the underside of almost every older car here in Connecticut. It's part and parcel of living in a coastal state that also uses brine to de-ice the roads every winter. Even those of us that frequently rinse the undercarriage still get rust if we drive in the winter. Maybe go easy on the current owner. She may have been taking reasonable care in an environment that simply rusts steel quickly. 

• Like 1

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

• Moderator+
On 9/3/2023 at 9:58 PM, Cort said:

…I wonder how many people actually get under their trailers and look. 

I do, all the time. In fact, I spent about an hour under there today inspecting my springs, hydraulic brake lines and all the other various connectors.

• Like 5

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Lucy, Maggie and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

On 9/2/2023 at 5:05 PM, John E Davies said:

Here is Hull 218, I just sold it a couple of months ago. 25,000 miles towing, stored indoors always.

The picture shows the zerks pointing inward. On my hull they point outward. Without removing tires, the 90 degree grease gun adapter is necessary. I wonder why this was changed?

2021 Elite II Twin #850 "Mojo", 2020 F250 Lariat 7.3L FX4 3.55

New units all now have zerks inward facing upon request.  They could have been swapped at a factory visit if requested...or by the owner to make it easier.

• Like 1

2019 Elite II (Hull 505 - Galway Girl - August 7, 2019 Delivery) 
Tow Vehicle: 2021 F350 King Ranch, FX4, MaxTow Package, 10 Speed, 3.55 Rear Axle
Batteries Upgrade: Dual 315GTX Lithionics Lithiums - 630AH Total
Inverter/Charger: Xantrex 2000Pro 

Travel BLOG:  https://4-ever-hitched.com

IMG_5421.jpeg.c1f697a00240a9bd6729b0930bd3a4aa.jpeg

I specifically requested that Hull 218 have them facing inward. This was in 2017….

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: 

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

21 hours ago, Steph and Dud B said:

Honestly, the rust I see in the photos doesn't look much different from the underside of almost every older car here in Connecticut. It's part and parcel of living in a coastal state that also uses brine to de-ice the roads every winter. Even those of us that frequently rinse the undercarriage still get rust if we drive in the winter. Maybe go easy on the current owner. She may have been taking reasonable care in an environment that simply rusts steel quickly. 

Thanks! That's good to hear as she has taken good care of it. We've found another trailer, though - it's newer and more expensive but is in superb shape. 🙂

• Like 3

• Moderator+
6 hours ago, Galway Girl said:

New units all now have zerks inward facing upon request.  They could have been swapped at a factory visit if requested...or by the owner to make it easier.

Yeah, that sounded like a good idea when I installed my EZ Flex system back in 2015 and I did it because all the YouTube videos suggested it. And it would have been a good idea if there was about 18 inches of clearance under the trailer. A year or so later, I swapped them to the outside and replaced all the bronze bushings, wet bolts with added 45 degree angle zerks. Now I can get to all the zerks from the outside without jacking up the trailer or removing any wheels. I can grease them all in about 5 minutes. Before it was a struggle to slither around under the trailer on my back and usually took an hour or so and a ruined T-shirt.

• Like 3

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Lucy, Maggie and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

Found our trailer outside of Seattle - a 2019 Elite II with the full bed option - which we wanted - in the classified section of the Forums.  More expensive but very clean - no rust - housed inside - the owner (a mechanic) seemed very methodical - thanks for everyone's help! 🙂

• Like 3
  • Love 1

14 hours ago, Cort said:

very clean - no rust - housed inside - the owner (a mechanic) seemed very methodical

Hey, congrats!  You'll be able to keep it that way and focus on more "fun stuff" to modify and clean-up!  HA!

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca"
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

ALAZARCOIDLAMSMTNMOKTNTXUTWYsm.jpg