Blowout...

johnwen

1 hour ago, jd1923 said:

Thank goodness your family and your Oliver is all OK!

Years ago, pulling an enclosed cargo tailer from TX to AZ, we had a trailer blowout. Honestly, it's amazing that your OTT and connection to the TV is so solid, that you did not know the blowout even occurred - OMG!

Ours was so drastic, that I immediately felt a tug on the truck steering wheel! The belts from the tire tore the fender off completely and it then damaged the siding of the trailer (cheap alum, not our OTT fiberglass). Got a new tire, miles down the desolate dry western highway. Of course, had to park the trailer and run an 85-mile roundtrip with the wheel. 

I'm going to purchase and install these from Dill. Our truck is 23 years old, so it did not come with TPMS. You can buy a set of 4, or 8 and monitor pressure via Bluetooth to your phone. I will purchase 8 and install inside of my OTT and TV wheels. Dill's new product will be available late October from Tire Rack (first reseller). For truck and trailer you would buy two sets (pat # 1604-V).

Dill TPMS.jpg

Dill New.png

A TPMS is crucial to have.  Check out TST and compare to the one you posted.  It comes with a monitor that you can see on your dash and gives you pressure and temperature readings.  We have that one and even though we haven't set up the booster, we have no problem getting the measurements from the Oliver LE 2.  I have four sensors for the tv and four for the trailer.  Tireminder is another brand.

John

• Like 1

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory
  • Moderators
7 hours ago, John Welte said:

A TPMS is crucial to have.  Check out TST and compare to the one you posted.  It comes with a monitor that you can see on your dash and gives you pressure and temperature readings.  We have that one and even though we haven't set up the booster, we have no problem getting the measurements from the Oliver LE 2.  I have four sensors for the tv and four for the trailer.

Same here.  We’ve used TST for 7 years, no booster.

• Like 2

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

2 hours ago, Mike and Carol said:

Same here.  We’ve used TST for 7 years, no booster.

How long do your sensor batteries last?  I bought a package of 12 CR2032 from Costco that were on sale for about $12.  I think that I put them on when I picked up our trailer in November last year.  Do you just put new batteries in every year or wait for a loss of signal message?  If you're not on the road is it still draining the battery?  My wife retires in 13 days, so we will be doing more traveling.  You two are out a lot.

John

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, John Welte said:

How long do your sensor batteries last?  I bought a package of 12 CR2032 from Costco that were on sale for about $12.  I think that I put them on when I picked up our trailer in November last year.  Do you just put new batteries in every year or wait for a loss of signal message?  If you're not on the road is it still draining the battery?  My wife retires in 13 days, so we will be doing more traveling.  You two are out a lot.

John

Our batteries last quite a while, much more than a year.  I have replaced each of them a couple of times over the years but not more than that.  It’s always been while camping!  I don’t think there’s any drain on them if we’re not moving or if the display is off.  We’ve been traveling around East Tennessee and Kentucky the last few weeks, beautiful time of the year here.  Hopefully when we get home to Texas the cooler October weather will be there.  Mike

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators

I use the EEZTIRE TPMS.  But most of these are very similar.

The "recommended interval" for changing the batteries is one year. 

But, I simply leave mine until I start to get a loss of signal notification.  Since I always carry spare batteries with me while on the road it is simple to change them.

Note that I also remove the wheel sensors and batteries when I am not planning on using my Ollie for a month or so.  Even though the sensors should not be transmitting a signal when there isn't movement in the wheel, I feel better knowing that the contacts are not being subjected to humidity, heat, cold, etc.

On another note - I have never needed a booster for the EEZTIRE transmitter.  However, these signals that are being sent from these small transmitters can experience some loss of signal during very wet weather, snow, and heavy traffic.  In addition, depending on the types of things that are being carried in both the tow vehicle an/or the Oliver, signals can be weakened.  

Bill

• Thanks 2
  • Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

12 hours ago, John Welte said:

A TPMS is crucial to have.  Check out TST and compare to the one you posted.  It comes with a monitor that you can see on your dash and gives you pressure and temperature readings.  We have that one and even though we haven't set up the booster, we have no problem getting the measurements from the Oliver LE 2.  I have four sensors for the tv and four for the trailer.  Tireminder is another brand. John

Thanks @John Welte, @Mike and Carol and @topgun2.

There are several reasons why I'm interested in the new Dill product, vs. TST and other like products. The Dill sensor is installed in the tire on an integrated valve stem vs. small plastic valve-stem-cap devices mounted outside in the elements. Dill sensors, like OEM automotive sensors, advertise a 5 to 7-year battery life. So, you replace the batteries when you replace tires every 5-7 years.

Another feature is not having to mount and wire a proprietary screen! Just read the tire data from your cell phone. Soon I will be mounting a small screen for gauges integrated to the truck computer (OBD II port), to read EGT on the diesel, trans temp, and much more! I have a good place to mount that, down behind the cup holder and really do not want anything on the dashboard. Full specs are not yet out on this new product, to be released by October end, but you must be setup a cell phone alert when tire pressure or temp is outside of control limits. Having the data view portable will also be handy when filling tires. I'm holding off on my new tire purchase until these are released, price and full specs advertised. 

• Like 3

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

2 hours ago, jd1923 said:

There are several reasons why I'm interested in the new Dill product, vs. TST and other like products. The Dill sensor is installed in the tire on an integrated valve stem vs. small plastic valve-stem-cap devices mounted outside in the elements. Dill sensors, like OEM automotive sensors, advertise a 5 to 7-year battery life. So, you replace the batteries when you replace tires every 5-7 years.

Another feature is not having to mount and wire a proprietary screen! Just read the tire data from your cell phone. Soon I will be mounting a small screen for gauges integrated to the truck computer (OBD II port), to read EGT on the diesel, trans temp, and much more! I have a good place to mount that, down behind the cup holder and really do not want anything on the dashboard. Full specs are not yet out on this new product, to be released by October end, but you must be setup a cell phone alert when tire pressure or temp is outside of control limits. Having the data view portable will also be handy when filling tires. I'm holding off on my new tire purchase until these are released, price and full specs advertised. 

Sounds interesting.  The main thing is to have a tpms with the trailer and you're doing that with this new product.  5-7 year battery life sounds great.

John

• Thanks 1

spacer.png

• Moderators
4 hours ago, jd1923 said:

As long as the Dill will alarm even if the app isn’t being displayed on your phone.  I have the separate TST monitor but don’t look at it much after we’re under way.  If something is wrong it will alarm, otherwise I pretty much ignore it.  The Dill sounds pretty nice, will be interested in how you like it. Mike

• Like 3

On 9/30/2023 at 1:40 PM, jd1923 said:

The Dill sensor is installed in the tire on an integrated valve stem vs. small plastic valve-stem-cap devices mounted outside in the elements.

You can also get TST sensors to be mounted INSIDE the wheel and, like @Mike and Carol mentioned, the separate display does not depend on your phone to be on and the app to be opened.

Safe travels!

BL

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

On 9/30/2023 at 4:45 PM, Mike and Carol said:

I have the separate TST monitor but don’t look at it much after we’re under way.  If something is wrong it will alarm, otherwise I pretty much ignore it.

Mike,

Just installed the TST system, except for the booster.  I noticed the monitor is always on, is that normal.  I figured the on/off switch would turn off the screen, but it doesn't when plugged in and charging.  All seems to be operating normally otherwise.  Hope this all works as advertised :)

TIA,

John

Oliver II #996 "Bessie", 2019 Silverado LTZ 5.3, Veterans

https://wenandjohnsadventure.com/

• Moderators

We have a much older (15 year) tst system.

It's on, as long as plugged in. It sends a beep when something isn't within parameters. Otherwise. The screen rotates through the tires with readings, silently.

What I love about tst is the still personal, human contact. I never sit on hold for hours for an answer. Same person usually first contact. 

In these days of lengthy phone trees, lengthy hold times, call back to save your place automated customer service, etc., I've found that human touch, and, their quick turnaround time on the few occasions we needed service, to be amazing. 

I hope it's still the same. I suspect so, though the system is so reliable,  it's been a few years. 

I really have appreciated their "antiquated", superlative  personal approach to customer service, where I'm treated like a friend. 

• Like 5

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

5 hours ago, johnwen said:

Mike,

Just installed the TST system, except for the booster.  I noticed the monitor is always on, is that normal.  I figured the on/off switch would turn off the screen, but it doesn't when plugged in and charging.  All seems to be operating normally otherwise.  Hope this all works as advertised 🙂

TIA,

John

John,

I will weigh in here -
Per the TST tech I spoke with you will require the booster for TST to honor your warranty and for the TPMS to operate at its maximum potential. It takes a few min to connect the repeater. The TST tech also told me that using the system without the repeater you could easily have RF interference and you can easily loose your signal. 
My TST monitor is always on while plugged in and charging. When I unplug it from charging,  it will shut off via the switch. I highly recommend you consider installing the booster/repeater for a proper install.  3 years in and my TST TPMS is working great. I do monitor my tires when traveling for heat and tire pressure. The monitor is so easy to read right there on my dash eye level. 

Cheers & Safe Travels from SW Colorado!

Patriot🇺🇸

• Like 3

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor 

IMG_2879.jpeg

3 hours ago, johnwen said:

Thanks so much!

Will put in the repeater tomorrow :)

John

Hope ya'll are doing well .....

Thanks! All is going great and we are reeeeally enjoying Colorado and all it has to offer. So much to see!

IMG_9821.thumb.jpeg.1fe89eb559a55bd93bc80aedf341c7f9.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Love 1

IMG_2879.jpeg

• Moderators
10 hours ago, johnwen said:

Mike,

Just installed the TST system, except for the booster.  I noticed the monitor is always on, is that normal.  I figured the on/off switch would turn off the screen, but it doesn't when plugged in and charging.  All seems to be operating normally otherwise.  Hope this all works as advertised 🙂

TIA,

John

John, as others have said, the monitor stays on when plugged in.  You can only turn it off when unplugged.  I’ve never used a booster, when I ordered mine 7 or 8 years ago a booster wasn’t even mentioned.  We’ve never had any connection or interference issues.  Mike

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Patriot said:

John,

I will weigh in here -
Per the TST tech I spoke with you will require the booster for TST to honor your warranty and for the TPMS to operate at its maximum potential. It takes a few min to connect the repeater. The TST tech also told me that using the system without the repeater you could easily have RF interference and you can easily loose your signal. 
My TST monitor is always on while plugged in and charging. When I unplug it from charging,  it will shut off via the switch. I highly recommend you consider installing the booster/repeater for a proper install.  3 years in and my TST TPMS is working great. I do monitor my tires when traveling for heat and tire pressure. The monitor is so easy to read right there on my dash eye level. 

Cheers & Safe Travels from SW Colorado!

Patriot🇺🇸

How is the booster installed?  I haven't installed it yet.  Any directions for doing that?  TST phone number?

John

spacer.png

Couple more thoughts on this discussion. Several years ago while traveling to a photo shoot in SW Montana I had a blow out on my right front tire but was able to pull over safely and change the tire on the spot. Upon arriving at the next town stopped off at the local tire store and as it turns out on the trip over I had taken on a sharp rock that created a slow leak in the tire which as you all might guess built up some serious heat enough to cause the blow out. I suspect this is what might have happened to the OP in this thread.

Fast forward to a couple of summers ago while camping up in the Seeley-Swan Lake area I noticed one morning what appeared to be a deflated right rear tire. Immediately went into Seeley Lake township for repairs at the local tire store. Turns out we were the third customer to come in with slow leaks that morning. Ours was the result of a nail but the mechanic had a jar full of culprits that had caused past customers the same issues. Looking at some of the culprits for flat tires  was educational for sure with many of them being quite large such as bolts some bent others straight, various hardware pieces and so forth and so on. Items one would not normally think to be able to puncture a tire but there they were.

Anyway glad the OP was able to correct this without undue harm to life and possessions. Blow outs can be scary stuff. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

Legacy Elite II #70

6 minutes ago, routlaw said:

Couple more thoughts on this discussion. Several years ago while traveling to a photo shoot in SW Montana I had a blow out on my right front tire but was able to pull over safely and change the tire on the spot. Upon arriving at the next town stopped off at the local tire store and as it turns out on the trip over I had taken on a sharp rock that created a slow leak in the tire which as you all might guess built up some serious heat enough to cause the blow out. I suspect this is what might have happened to the OP in this thread.

Fast forward to a couple of summers ago while camping up in the Seeley-Swan Lake area I noticed one morning what appeared to be a deflated right rear tire. Immediately went into Seeley Lake township for repairs at the local tire store. Turns out we were the third customer to come in with slow leaks that morning. Ours was the result of a nail but the mechanic had a jar full of culprits that had caused past customers the same issues. Looking at some of the culprits for flat tires  was educational for sure with many of them being quite large such as bolts some bent others straight, various hardware pieces and so forth and so on. Items one would not normally think to be able to puncture a tire but there they were.

Anyway glad the OP was able to correct this without undue harm to life and possessions. Blow outs can be scary stuff. 

Could very well have been as you described.  Now, with the TST, I'll be able to see low pressure as it happens and the increase in temp.

Thanks,

John

• Like 3

Oliver II #996 "Bessie", 2019 Silverado LTZ 5.3, Veterans

https://wenandjohnsadventure.com/

@johnwen Just purchased one of those myself earlier in the year. Thus far I have only four sensors and have been using those on my TV for now figuring it much better to monitor the tire pressure and temps with the tow vehicle. For this alone it has been quite the education looking at the results depending on driving conditions and ambient temperatures. 

• Like 2

Legacy Elite II #70

Tire pressure, tire temps and TPM systems, a few more observations. This might not be the right place to post this so moderators please feel free to move it to another spot if it is inconsistent with the OP's @johnwen post on blowouts. 

Just returned a couple of weeks ago from a trip to the southwest mostly around San Rafael Reef and Capitol Reef National Park. Weather was all over the place during the tip down, while there and then on the return and thus it became an excellent opportunity to explore the results via the monitor on my new TST TPMS device. As stated above I only have 4 sensors and used them for my TV rather than the Oliver. Earlier in the year I replaced tires on both the TV (F150 Super Crew Cab) as well as the Oliver using Vredestein Pinza AT LT's.

Honestly I have mixed emotions regarding putting them on my half ton truck, not because I don't like them but simply because once you start going down this path by default you are re-engineering the suspension system. As all of you know installing LT tires on a vehicle designed for PT tires, inflation rates can change dramatically. In this case tirepressure.com recommended going from the factory setting of 35 PSI all around to 50 PSI all around. Les Schwab stated emphatically to keep them at 35 PSI as the door jamb implies. While this conundrum has not been dealt with to my satisfaction, I decided to run 40 up front and 45 PSI in the rear for the recent trip. FWIW 50 PSI with 10 ply tires installed on a half ton truck with suspension set up for lighter weight 4 ply passenger tires is a brutal ride unless you are on the smoothest of roads.

So how did things go? 

At no time did my tires overheat and pressure only increased by 5-7 PSI depending on a number of factors such as shade, sun exposure, type of driving and so on. Consistently tires facing the sunny side ran warmer and with about 2+ PSI more inflation after warm up, highway speeds tended to level things out while stop and go traffic oddly enough ran tire temps higher. Typically tire temps tended to hover between 8-14 degrees above the ambient outside temperature. At one point driving through stalled SLC traffic tires facing the sun rose to 114 degrees but it was also around 100 degrees outside and no telling what the pavement temps were. So with 40/45 PSI set front and rear respectively at mild temps pressure increased to 45/52 front and rear traveling down the road normally at 65 MPH with a few descents hitting 70 mph. 

How does one interpret all of this? It tends to fly in the face that one needs to inflate LT tires considerably higher than PT tires for the same vehicle. Clearly the load capacity of each LT tire is not being encountered with my F150, same for the Oliver which incidentally were all inflated to 45 PSI and which were only lightly warm to the touch each time they were checked. There are those who firmly believe in the chalk tire test for proper inflation of LT tires and while I have experimented with this it is not exactly scientific to my way of thinking. 

Regardless hope this info will be of some help to new comers and veterans alike while out on the road and towing their Olivers. Happy Trails

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Legacy Elite II #70

On 10/3/2023 at 8:29 AM, John Welte said:

How is the booster installed?  I haven't installed it yet.  Any directions for doing that?  TST phone number?

John

As I recall, the instructions that came with my TST kit recommended installing the booster near the sensors and to connect directly to the battery.  We installed ours in the battery compartment.  It's about as close to the sensors as you can get, and there's no need to route the wires through the hull or under the frame.  It's not a switched connection, but if you're worried about draining the batteries you can just remove the 2 amp fuse for storage. 

Steve

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Steve H & Mary Allyn W

San Antonio, TX

2022 LE II Hull #969 "Un Œuf", 2021 MB Sprinter 3500 "Polly", 2016 GMC Canyon 2.8L diesel "Max"

1 hour ago, Steve and MA said:

As I recall, the instructions that came with my TST kit recommended installing the booster near the sensors and to connect directly to the battery.  We installed ours in the battery compartment.  It's about as close to the sensors as you can get, and there's no need to route the wires through the hull or under the frame.  It's not a switched connection, but if you're worried about draining the batteries you can just remove the 2 amp fuse for storage. 

Steve

Same here Steve especially after TST tech support also highly recommend installing the booster that comes with the  it. The Tech support guy was really cool and said you could have interference if the booster or repeater is not installed. One has to ask? What could go wrong?🙄 😄

IMG_2879.jpeg

• Moderators

@routlaw, the "the techs" are most tire places only look at placard, or max inflation on the new tires. And, they have to live by corporate rules.

We, as you, do our own research.  My truck is 18 years old. Tire technology has changed. 

I go by manufacturer scale. Incredibly bumpy ride home, at max psi, last tire change. Fixed it at home.

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

4 hours ago, Steve and MA said:

Steve

Steve,

Did you use alligator clips on the battery terminals?

John

spacer.png

• Moderator+
6 hours ago, Steve and MA said:

Steve

Before we got our newest truck with tire sensors supplied for the trailer, we use the TST system with great success. I did use the booster and I wired it to my camera switch. When the rear camera was on (always during travel) there was power going to the booster. I sold this entire system to a new owner several years ago. I believe it is one of the best aftermarket brands.

• Like 6

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg