Xantrex Freedom XC Pro 3000 Inverter/Charger- Not charging lithium batteries

dhaig

My wife and I returned yesterday evening from a 10 day trip, which involved stays at 3 campgrounds.  We were tired upon arrival home and I failed to connect shore power to our 2022 LEII with the Lithium Pro solar package.  This morning when I went out to unhitch, I found the 3 Lithionics lithium batteries (390 Amp hours total capacity) significantly depleted (12=13% SOC, voltage= 12.5 V).  During our 10 day trip the 3 lithium batteries had stayed near full charge, since we were staying at full hookup campsites.  On our return trip home, the Norcold refrigerator was running on DC for a total use of approximately 24 hours (10AM departure yesterday to10AM today discovery of low SOC level).  The refrigerator load apparently was the primary culprit for drawing down the SOC of the batteries.  The refrigerator is now OFF.

I connected a 50 foot extension cord, rated for 15 amps, to a 20 amp outlet and to the power port on our LEII.  When I checked the remote control display for the Xantrex inverter, I was surprised to see it reported being in "AC bypass mode", which was NOT charging the batteries.  This same extension cord and outlet circuit I have used many times when the trailer has been parked in our driveway.  I have previously observed the batteries being recharged very rapidly, e.g., from 50% SOC to 100% within 4-6 hours by the inverter.  At no time during our trip did I notice anything abnormal in the battery charging.

The Xantrex FXC Control app on my iPhone issues a notification "utility power not available or qualified due to poor ac power..." when shore power is first connected to the trailer.

The display located in the attic reports normal shore power conditions: 120 VAC, 60 Hz, 1 amp, No error messages (E0).

I have previously noticed on numerous occassions when the Xantrax inverter would come ON for short periods (2-3 minutes) while connected to shore power.  I have previously asked Oliver Service why the inverter would come on when connected to shore power, when the batteries are at or near full SOC.  The most recent answer received was a conjecture that our shore power was unstable.  This seems unlikely, since I have observed the short intervals of inverter operation when connected to shore power in many different campgrounds and at our home, where I know we have stable power.

I proceeded to read the Xantrex owner's manual to determine how to get the inverter out of AC bypass mode and charging the batteries.  I am unable to determine how get the inverter to recharge the lithium batteries.  The solar panels appear to be recharging the batteries slightly, due to having a largely cloudy day.

Tonight I checked the SOC of the lithium batteries and they have declined 1-2%.  I am going to turn the batteries OFF to prevent being fully discharged.

Has anyone encountered similar charging issues?

Regards, Don

spacer.pngNorth Texas | 2022 LEII, Hull #990, delivered 2/17/22 | 2014 BMW X5 35d

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory

I have never charged my batteries (lithium platinum package) with 15A shore power, but I believe when doing this you have to change setting #28 in the Xantrex app from 25 to 15. 
image.thumb.jpeg.1b6199d72ac108713764a50a4a4c3f77.jpeg

• Like 2

2023 Elite II, Hull# 1386, Lithium Platinum Package (640AH, 400W Solar, 3000W Xantrex Inverter)
Truma water heater & AC

TV: 2024 Silverado 2500HD 6.6L 10-Speed Allison

Do  you have a larger 50-foot extension cord, perhaps 12-gauge, which would be rated for 20A?  When I connect house power to our 2022 Elite II, I use a 10-gauge extension cord so there is no issue with delivery of at least the 20A provided to the receptacle by the 12-gauge wire on a 20A circuit in our house wiring.  If I didn't own at least a 12-gauge extension cord, yet needed to connect my Elite II to house power some times, I would invest in one, or maybe even a 10-gauge.

Also, be sure to submit a service ticket.  Oliver Service has surely encountered this issue before.

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

3 hours ago, rich.dev said:

I have never charged my batteries (lithium platinum package) with 15A shore power, but I believe when doing this you have to change setting #28 in the Xantrex app from 25 to 15. 
image.thumb.jpeg.1b6199d72ac108713764a50a4a4c3f77.jpeg

@rich.dev, thanks for the suggestion.  I was aware of the need to change parameter 28 to match the circuit capacity.  I have set it to 15 amps, after having used it successfully set to 20 amps, using the same extension cord and outlet.  The surge suppressor display in the attic reports 120V, ~1amp, 60 Hz.

spacer.pngNorth Texas | 2022 LEII, Hull #990, delivered 2/17/22 | 2014 BMW X5 35d

2 hours ago, Rivernerd said:

Do  you have a larger 50-foot extension cord, perhaps 12-gauge, which would be rated for 20A?  When I connect house power to our 2022 Elite II, I use a 10-gauge extension cord so there is no issue with delivery of at least the 20A provided to the receptacle by the 12-gauge wire on a 20A circuit in our house wiring.  If I didn't own at least a 12-gauge extension cord, yet needed to connect my Elite II to house power some times, I would invest in one, or maybe even a 10-gauge.

Also, be sure to submit a service ticket.  Oliver Service has surely encountered this issue before.

@Rivernerd, thanks for the suggestion.  I have previously used the 15 amp extension to provide shore power when at home, using the 20 amp circuit (many times), with no issues until now.  I logged a service required to Oliver Service early this AM.  

I have experienced some mixed results trying to charge my lithium batteries (same as your 390Ah) with a 15 amp circuit and with a shorter 16gauge extension cord.    I bumped up my 50' extension cord to 12 gauge... and now currently only use a 20 amp circuits...and now no problems.   I have been surprised at how much the lithium batteries pull...the Lithionics app says 45~50amps... when it's bulk charging.

Could it be that the mixed results reflect how much energy the battery is looking for?  If it's near the top of its charge it switches from a fast and hard 45~50 amps to a much lower 15~20 amp draw.  Again, this voltage is all from the Lithionics app.

Note: all of my settings are whatever Oliver originally set for me.

• Like 2

2022 Elite II, Hull #1097  Elli Rose 🌹 and she has the solar panels with the 390Ah lithium batteries.  Our tow vehicle is a 2019 Ford Lariat F-150 4wd, 3.5L Eco-boost, 3.55 rear end, with the Max tow package.  Elli Rose also has the street side awning and several walnut and cherry mods on the inside.

TravelMap.png.b89ef2d7bc27b1ea3b58f831ca5bd799.png

@Dave and Kimberly, it occurred to me that the current draw from significantly discharged batteries could be quite high, as you described.  I have never tried to re-charge from such a discharged state.  The most extreme case I recall was recharging from about 50% SOC after having the trailer in storage for a couple of months (placed into storage at ~50%, as recommended).  I have tried changing the parameter 28 setting to 15 amps using the Xantrex app, to no avail.

I hope to receive a call from Oliver Service tomorrow in response to the service ticket I logged.  Thanks for the reply.

Don

• Like 1

One other thing you might try is to charge the batteries slower. Setting 24 allows you to change the charger current. By default it is set to 150A. When I had poor 30A shore power at a campsite (low voltage), I changed this value to 25A, and it allowed the AC to operate for a while before the input voltage level fell to the point where the EMS rejected the input power source. Ultimately we wound up changing campsites.

The setting can be adjusted in 5A increments between 5A and 150A. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2021 Elite II Twin #850 "Mojo", 2020 F250 Lariat 7.3L FX4 3.55

I keep an external charger on hand for such situations and for winter storage. The one I use is a 20A charger that I purchased directly from Lithionics. It was $200 + shipping. There are less expensive ones out there as well. To purchase from them, it was necessary to contact them. There is a Product Inquiry link in the web page I provided here.

There are less expensive options out there as well.

2021 Elite II Twin #850 "Mojo", 2020 F250 Lariat 7.3L FX4 3.55

6 hours ago, MobileJoy said:

I keep an external charger on hand for such situations and for winter storage.

I concur.  Just be sure that any external charger you buy is designed for lithium batteries, or has a "lithium" setting.  Ordinary battery chargers work great for lead/acid batteries, but do not properly charge lithiums, which require higher charging voltage.

That said, you still need to get your Xantrex Freedom Pro inverter/charger addressed so it will charge your battery bank as designed.  Please post what you are advised to do by Oliver Service, in case others (like me) are faced with a similar problem in the future.

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

3 hours ago, MobileJoy said:

One other thing you might try is to charge the batteries slower. Setting 24 allows you to change the charger current. By default it is set to 150A. When I had poor 30A shore power at a campsite (low voltage), I changed this value to 25A, and it allowed the AC to operate for a while before the input voltage level fell to the point where the EMS rejected the input power source. Ultimately we wound up changing campsites.

@MobileJoy, I had overlooked setting 24, assuming that reducing the value for setting 28 (input breaker size) would result in lower charging current.  Now that you have pointed this out, I will reduce the charging current to 15 or 20 amps.  The symptoms I have observed lead me to suspect the inverter is trying to charge the depleted batteries at 150 amps, which is obviously not sustainable.  Thanks very much pointing this out.

Don

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Rivernerd said:

I concur.  Just be sure that any external charger you buy is designed for lithium batteries, or has a "lithium" setting.  Ordinary battery chargers work great for lead/acid batteries, but do not properly charge lithiums, which require higher charging voltage.

That said, you sill need to get your Xantrex Freedom Pro inverter/charger addressed so it will charge your battery bank as designed.  Please post what you are advised to do by Oliver Service, in case others (like me) are faced with a similar problem in the future.

@Rivernerd, thanks, I was aware I should not use a traditional charger designed for lead acid batteries to charge lithium batteries.

I will certainly post on the advice I receive from Oliver Service, and the results.

Don

• Like 1

I would suggest having a 30amp box installed on your garage or where you store your trailer. We had a 30p box installed next to the Fuse box in our garage and an on/off switch in the fuse box for the 30amp. I plug in the trailer and flip the switch just like the shore power post at a campground. Cost me $275+/-.  

John & Susan Dorrer, 2013 F250, 6.2 gasser, 4x4, 2022 Legacy Elite 2, twin beds, Hull #1045, Jolli Olli

-ALARCOIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMAMIMNMSMOMTNENHNY

On 11/12/2023 at 12:11 AM, dhaig said:

My wife and I returned yesterday evening from a 10 day trip, which involved stays at 3 campgrounds.  We were tired upon arrival home and I failed to connect shore power to our 2022 LEII with the Lithium Pro solar package.  This morning when I went out to unhitch, I found the 3 Lithionics lithium batteries (390 Amp hours total capacity) significantly depleted (12=13% SOC, voltage= 12.5 V).  During our 10 day trip the 3 lithium batteries had stayed near full charge, since we were staying at full hookup campsites.  On our return trip home, the Norcold refrigerator was running on DC for a total use of approximately 24 hours (10AM departure yesterday to10AM today discovery of low SOC level).  The refrigerator load apparently was the primary culprit for drawing down the SOC of the batteries.  The refrigerator is now OFF.

I connected a 50 foot extension cord, rated for 15 amps, to a 20 amp outlet and to the power port on our LEII.  When I checked the remote control display for the Xantrex inverter, I was surprised to see it reported being in "AC bypass mode", which was NOT charging the batteries.  This same extension cord and outlet circuit I have used many times when the trailer has been parked in our driveway.  I have previously observed the batteries being recharged very rapidly, e.g., from 50% SOC to 100% within 4-6 hours by the inverter.  At no time during our trip did I notice anything abnormal in the battery charging.

The Xantrex FXC Control app on my iPhone issues a notification "utility power not available or qualified due to poor ac power..." when shore power is first connected to the trailer.

The display located in the attic reports normal shore power conditions: 120 VAC, 60 Hz, 1 amp, No error messages (E0).

I have previously noticed on numerous occassions when the Xantrax inverter would come ON for short periods (2-3 minutes) while connected to shore power.  I have previously asked Oliver Service why the inverter would come on when connected to shore power, when the batteries are at or near full SOC.  The most recent answer received was a conjecture that our shore power was unstable.  This seems unlikely, since I have observed the short intervals of inverter operation when connected to shore power in many different campgrounds and at our home, where I know we have stable power.

I proceeded to read the Xantrex owner's manual to determine how to get the inverter out of AC bypass mode and charging the batteries.  I am unable to determine how get the inverter to recharge the lithium batteries.  The solar panels appear to be recharging the batteries slightly, due to having a largely cloudy day.

Tonight I checked the SOC of the lithium batteries and they have declined 1-2%.  I am going to turn the batteries OFF to prevent being fully discharged.

Has anyone encountered similar charging issues?

Regards, Don

The inverter coming on periodically isn't an issue. I wondered and Oliver shared why a couple years ago. I can't remember what they said other than it isn't an issue

John & Susan Dorrer, 2013 F250, 6.2 gasser, 4x4, 2022 Legacy Elite 2, twin beds, Hull #1045, Jolli Olli

There appears to be some confusion around setting number 28 which is a dedicated internal circuit breaker for the 3000 watt inverter.  The factory setting must stay at 25 amps because it requires at least 20 amps of 120 volt input current to charge the batteries at the factory default 150 amp charging rate.  Stated differently and ignoring losses, the inverter requires a minimum of 2,100 watts of 120 volt shore power to achieve the 150 amp charging rates (150 amps x 14 volts = 2,100 watts).  2,100 watts of 120 volt power results in a shore power draw of 17.5 amps (2100 watts / 120 volts = 17.5 amps).  If setting #28 is set to only 15 amps, I believe that it is guaranteed the inverter will shut down and not charge the batteries.  Once the battery charging stops, the inverter will after awhile reset, restore shore power and start charging the batteries again.  The inverter starts charging the batteries at a low rate initially and slowly ramps up the charging voltage until it reaches a steady state 150 amp charging rates.  If setting #28 remains at 15 amps, then it will never reach 150 amps charge rate because shore power will shut down again and the cycle will repeat itself over and over. OTT should verify the above, but I don't believe there is ever a reason to reduce the AC input limit in the inverter/charger to below 25 amps. 

Rivernerd's advice to use an extension cord with a higher amperage rating is excellent advice in all situations.  The reason is to reduce voltage drop.  The footnote to the table above that rich.dev posted states that the inverter will trip shore power and switch to battery power if the shore power voltage drops below 106 volts.  An undersized extension cord can cause significant voltage drop.  For example, assume the voltage into the house from the utility is 118 volts.  Further assume that there is an unusually long 75 foot run of 12 AWG romex from the breaker box in the house to the wall outlet feeding the extension cord to the trailer.  In this example, the voltage at the wall outlet has already dropped by 6 volts to only 111.96 volts, merely due to the 75 foot run from the breaker box to the wall outlet, assuming a 20 amp current draw at the outlet.

image.png.bfe938ece9fb89c3c27ec4e9ea09cca5.png

Now lets assume that you use a 12 AWG (20 amp) extension cord between the wall outlet and the Ollie.  Adding the additional 50 feet of 12 AWG extension cord will further reducevoltage at the Ollie by an additional 4 volts to only 108 volts.  Everything should still work fine.

image.png.13bde61dacf96baddb72c11746a7f3dc.png

However, if one were to use a 14 AWG extension cord instead of a 12 AWG extension cord, the voltage at the Ollie will drop to  only 105.8 volts and will cause the inverter to cut off shore power (and battery charging) because it is less than 106 volts.

While this situation is unusual and situation specific, everyone should probably own a "kill a watt" or similar meter to quickly eliminate voltage concerns.  This can be inserted between the extension cord and the Ollie plug to observe real time voltage and power consumption into the Ollie.  They are only $30 or less and have many beneficial uses around the house besides measuring voltage.   https://www.amazon.com/P3-P4400-Electricity-Usage-Monitor/dp/B00009MDBU?th=1

image.png

• Like 4

Steve and Lornie

LE II Standard  Hull #657  2004 4Runner 4.7 L V8

Oregon

COIDKSMOORTNUTWYmed.jpg

This is not expert advice so take it for what it's worth, (just what worked for me) I had to remove my GFCI receptacle on the exterior house outlet and replace it with a regular outlet. I used a single 20 amp outlet instead of the 15 amp GFCI duplex breaker. The inverter charger would not work with a GFCI connection. Yes, my breaker in the panel is 20 amp. I use a 25' extension cord, 15 amp rated,  dog boned to the 30 amp cord. I also had to change my Xantrex app "Breaker Rating" setting to 15 amps. I am careful to protect the cords and connections from the elements and when I move my E2 away for the traveling season I put the GFCI back in place for safety. Also noticed I can't use an external surge protector at the power pedestal with the integrated EMS that came with the Oliver. I plan to add a 120V, 30-amp outlet in the coming days to resolve my power issues.

• Like 2

Hull #1238 - Legacy Elite II, TB. TV 2017 Tundra TRD.

image.png.fd5454c21b295a590a02414d92eff4f0.png

9 hours ago, aaronorange said:

I plan to add a 120V, 30-amp outlet in the coming days to resolve my power issues.

Good plan! It didn’t take me long to do the same after realizing the need when bringing the OTT to the house from storage for travel prep or maintenance. Also installed a 50A outlet for my son to use with his motorhome when visiting. 2020 OLEll, 579

IMG_6413.jpeg

• Like 3

2020 OLEll, Twin, 579

2012 Silverado 1500 4x4

No installed solar, Renogy 40A DC-DC charger, 460Ah LFP battery bank/Victron SmartShunt

4 hours ago, Ronbrink said:

Good plan! It didn’t take me long to do the same after realizing the need when bringing the OTT to the house from storage for travel prep or maintenance.

Same here!  30A all WX outlet installed outside the Man Cave for travel prep, maintenance, and the occasional visitor (eh, @Geronimo John?)

Screenshot2023-11-14at09_25_17.thumb.png.2ba56ab474778c01c5f806e64d8e1f98.png

• Like 2

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo S GX, Other Victron Stuff: SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller,  DC-DC Charger, 12VDC Starlink kit, and Alcan 5-pack Leaf Springs
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

15 hours ago, aaronorange said:

The inverter charger would not work with a GFCI connection.

I would be concerned if the GFCI on a house outlet tripped when connecting the Ollie, period.  The inverter/charger by itself will not cause a GFCI outlet to trip at the house.  A properly functioning GFCI will only trip if it detects a current leakage to ground, a situation that is not wise to ignore.   Your problem may be with the GFCI receptacle you are otherwise using.  You mentioned that your GFCI is only rated to pass 15 amps of current.  Your GFCI is not rated to pass a 20 amp current to the Ollie.  I would suggest you install a 20 amp WR (outdoor rated) GFCI and see if that solves the problem.  It worked for me. 

This is the 20 amp WR GFCI that I installed to connect house power to my Ollie.  https://www.amazon.com/Leviton-GFWT2-W-SmartlockPro-Weather-Resistant-Tamper-Resistant/dp/B013OVCTBO/ref=sr_1_1?crid=21PT35NK7I73G&keywords=outdoor%2Brated%2B20%2Bamp%2Bgfci%2Boutlet&qid=1699985721&sprefix=outdoor%2Brated%2B20%2Bamp%2Bgfci%2Boutlet%2Caps%2C124&sr=8-1&th=1

• Like 3

Steve and Lornie

LE II Standard  Hull #657  2004 4Runner 4.7 L V8

Oregon

COIDKSMOORTNUTWYmed.jpg

On 11/13/2023 at 1:51 PM, Chukarhunter said:

There appears to be some confusion around setting number 28 which is a dedicated internal circuit breaker for the 3000 watt inverter.  The factory setting must stay at 25 amps because it requires at least 20 amps of 120 volt input current to charge the batteries at the factory default 150 amp charging rate. 

I don't think this is correct. Setting #28 limits the maximum draw of the converter section to X amps, with preference going to any internal 120v loads before the balance goes to the converter for battery charging. For instance, if it's set to 15A, and you have 5A of internal loads (TV, cell chargers, etc.), 10A will be used to charge the batteries. They'll still charge, but slower. I've done this many times when connected to a small generator or to a 15A circuit.

Look at it this way: your solar panels still charge the batteries and they don't come anywhere near 150A of charging current. Limiting setting #28 to 15A will slow charging but not stop it unless you have 15A of other draws running in the trailer.

• Like 4

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

21 hours ago, MAX Burner said:

Same here!  30A all WX outlet installed outside the Man Cave for travel prep, maintenance, and the occasional visitor (eh, @Geronimo John?)

Screenshot2023-11-14at09_25_17.thumb.png.2ba56ab474778c01c5f806e64d8e1f98.png

I see two OTTs, but only one dog, so ruling out double vision. Nice setup!

• Thanks 1

2020 OLEll, Twin, 579

2012 Silverado 1500 4x4

No installed solar, Renogy 40A DC-DC charger, 460Ah LFP battery bank/Victron SmartShunt

1 hour ago, Ronbrink said:

I see two OTTs, but only one dog, so ruling out double vision.

I  have been dying to ask:  "Why two Olivers?"

• Haha 1

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

On 11/13/2023 at 5:51 AM, MobileJoy said:

On 11/13/2023 at 9:52 AM, dhaig said:

@Rivernerd, thanks, I was aware I should not use a traditional charger designed for lead acid batteries to charge lithium batteries.

I will certainly post on the advice I receive from Oliver Service, and the results.

Don

On 11/13/2023 at 9:52 AM, dhaig said:

Don

@Rivernerd, @Chukarhunter, @Steph and Dud B, @MobileJoy, @aaronorange, @John Dorrer

My issue has been resolved.  The Xantrex Inverter/Charger is now charging my Lithionics batteries.  As promised, following are the details leading to resolution of the problem.

After logging a service ticket (including thorough details) with Oliver on Sunday, 11/12/23, I continued to read the Xantrex owner's manual and search the internet for clues to resolve the "AC bypass" preventing charging of the batteries.  This effort was largely unsuccessful.

On Monday morning, 11/13/23, I phoned Oracle Service to inquire if they could provide guidance to resolve the problem.  In short, they could not.  I was told since this was an AC problem, Oliver could not help resolve the problem.  They recommended taking the trailer to a service center.  In the course of the discussion, I was also provided erroneous information, such as the as the state of the ON/OFF switches on the Lithionic batteries.  I was told the batteries are fully charged if the switch button is lighted a steady blue color.  This is incorrect.  The owner's manual from Lithionics clearly states a steady blue light indicates only that the battery is ON.  I knew from using the Lithionics app on my phone exactly what the charge state was- between 10% and 12%.

Oliver Service did forward my service request to Xantrex and I received an email from Xantrex which included a case number in their service request tracking system.  In the automated email were instructions for submitting additional information.  Using the Xantrex FXC Control app on my phone I made three screenshots of the current settings on the Xantrex inverter/charger, plus serial number, purchase date, etc. Below is one of the screenshots.

IMG_2481.thumb.jpeg.4cdc776a3abe02e8dfaf5c9748d240c8.jpeg

Oliver Service also provided a phone number to Xantrex customer/technical support, ‭(800) 670-0707‬.  I placed a call to Xantrex, only to receive a recorded message stating they were closed for a Canadian holiday.  Today, I finally reached Shawn, a Xantrex tech support agent, after about a 25 minute wait in a phone queue.  I provided the case number and Shawn spotted the screenshots and quickly reviewed the settings.  Shawn told me he was almost certain my issue was caused by the setting of Charger Ignition Control being Auto-ON.

While still on the phone with Shawn, I went to the trailer, opened the Xantrex FXC Control app and changed the setting of Charger Ignition Control to OFF.  The Xantrex Inverter/Charger immediately came on and began to charge the batteries.  Neither Shawn nor I can explain how this setting got changed from the default Oliver setting of OFF.  In the two hours since changing this setting the batteries SOC has increased from about 10% to >40%, while connected to a 20 amp circuit.  In another hour, the batteries are all near 80% SOC.

Lessons learned- I had not checked all of the inverter/charger settings using the Xantrex FXC Control app against the Oliver default settings listed at https://support.olivertraveltrailers.com/portal/en/kb/articles/xantrex-inverter-settings.  Had I done this, I may have resolved the problem sooner.  In my opinion, Oliver Service should have recommended verifying the current settings against the Oliver default setting for the Xantrex Inverter/Charger and our model year trailer.

I had ordered #10 AWG wire and components to add a 30 amp RV outlet to a utility building near our driveway.  I am now reconsidering spending about $200 and several hours of labor to do so.  The 20 amp circuit already in place seems adequate for our needs when we have the trailer in the driveway.  This incident confirmed my prior observation- the lithium batteries can be recharged from a very low SOC to full charge in approximately 4-5 hours using a 20 amp circuit.  I have also used this same circuit to run the Dometic air conditioner in the trailer for as long as needed.

While I had Shawn on the phone, I asked him why the Xantrex Inverter/Charger would occasionally come ON for brief periods (2-3 minutes)  while attached to shore power. I have noticed this occurring at night, such as when the furnace cycled on.  Shawn said this was not unusual, if a large DC load is activated, such as a bilge pump, or a furnace blower.

I hope this information is useful to other Oliver owners whose trailers are equipped with Xantrex Inverter/Chargers.  My thanks to all who offered suggestions to resolve the problem.

Regards, Don

• Thanks 1
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, dhaig said:

@Rivernerd, @Chukarhunter, @Steph and Dud B, @MobileJoy, @aaronorange, @John Dorrer

My issue has been resolved.  The Xantrex Inverter/Charger is now charging my Lithionics batteries.  As promised, following are the details leading to resolution of the problem.

After logging a service ticket (including thorough details) with Oliver on Sunday, 11/12/23, I continued to read the Xantrex owner's manual and search the internet for clues to resolve the "AC bypass" preventing charging of the batteries.  This effort was largely unsuccessful.

On Monday morning, 11/13/23, I phoned Oracle Service to inquire if they could provide guidance to resolve the problem.  In short, they could not.  I was told since this was an AC problem, Oliver could not help resolve the problem.  They recommended taking the trailer to a service center.  In the course of the discussion, I was also provided erroneous information, such as the as the state of the ON/OFF switches on the Lithionic batteries.  I was told the batteries are fully charged if the switch button is lighted a steady blue color.  This is incorrect.  The owner's manual from Lithionics clearly states a steady blue light indicates only that the battery is ON.  I knew from using the Lithionics app on my phone exactly what the charge state was- between 10% and 12%.

Oliver Service did forward my service request to Xantrex and I received an email from Xantrex which included a case number in their service request tracking system.  In the automated email were instructions for submitting additional information.  Using the Xantrex FXC Control app on my phone I made three screenshots of the current settings on the Xantrex inverter/charger, plus serial number, purchase date, etc. Below is one of the screenshots.

IMG_2481.thumb.jpeg.4cdc776a3abe02e8dfaf5c9748d240c8.jpeg

Oliver Service also provided a phone number to Xantrex customer/technical support, ‭(800) 670-0707‬.  I placed a call to Xantrex, only to receive a recorded message stating they were closed for a Canadian holiday.  Today, I finally reached Shawn, a Xantrex tech support agent, after about a 25 minute wait in a phone queue.  I provided the case number and Shawn spotted the screenshots and quickly reviewed the settings.  Shawn told me he was almost certain my issue was caused by the setting of Charger Ignition Control being Auto-ON.

While still on the phone with Shawn, I went to the trailer, opened the Xantrex FXC Control app and changed the setting of Charger Ignition Control to OFF.  The Xantrex Inverter/Charger immediately came on and began to charge the batteries.  Neither Shawn nor I can explain how this setting got changed from the default Oliver setting of OFF.  In the two hours since changing this setting the batteries SOC has increased from about 10% to >40%, while connected to a 20 amp circuit.  In another hour, the batteries are all near 80% SOC.

Lessons learned- I had not checked all of the inverter/charger settings using the Xantrex FXC Control app against the Oliver default settings listed at https://support.olivertraveltrailers.com/portal/en/kb/articles/xantrex-inverter-settings.  Had I done this, I may have resolved the problem sooner.  In my opinion, Oliver Service should have recommended verifying the current settings against the Oliver default setting for the Xantrex Inverter/Charger and our model year trailer.

I had ordered #10 AWG wire and components to add a 30 amp RV outlet to a utility building near our driveway.  I am now reconsidering spending about $200 and several hours of labor to do so.  The 20 amp circuit already in place seems adequate for our needs when we have the trailer in the driveway.  This incident confirmed my prior observation- the lithium batteries can be recharged from a very low SOC to full charge in approximately 4-5 hours using a 20 amp circuit.  I have also used this same circuit to run the Dometic air conditioner in the trailer for as long as needed.

While I had Shawn on the phone, I asked him why the Xantrex Inverter/Charger would occasionally come ON for brief periods (2-3 minutes)  while attached to shore power. I have noticed this occurring at night, such as when the furnace cycled on.  Shawn said this was not unusual, if a large DC load is activated, such as a bilge pump, or a furnace blower.

I hope this information is useful to other Oliver owners whose trailers are equipped with Xantrex Inverter/Chargers.  My thanks to all who offered suggestions to resolve the problem.

Regards, Don

Thanks for the follow-up. This will help others down the road👍

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

On 11/15/2023 at 5:21 PM, dhaig said:

When the Xantrex comes ON for brief periods, as you observed, is the ‘charger’ feature being activated?

2020 OLEll, Twin, 579

2012 Silverado 1500 4x4