Tesla Cybertruck

Mike and Carol

• Moderators

We have a Cybertruck in our neighborhood, drove by it this morning.  It is larger in person than I thought it was.  LOLOHO just did a 20 minute video on it, Sean is on the wait list and wants to try it towing his 25’ Airstream.  It’s a good video if you’re interested in the Tesla truck.  I’m not there yet, too much camping in the west where even gas stations can be hard to find!  Mike

• Like 5

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory
  • Moderators
  • What? Where?  Was it parked in a driveway (If so, on what street, (so I can conduct a drive-by) Or was it possibly just passing through our neighborhood

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

• Moderators
13 hours ago, bugeyedriver said:
  • What? Where?  Was it parked in a driveway (If so, on what street, (so I can conduct a drive-by) Or was it possibly just passing through our neighborhood

Pete, it is just two doors down from us, on the corner of Keeneland and Delta Dawn.  It drove by yesterday and then we saw it on our walk parked in the driveway later in the day.  Mike

• Like 1

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

20 hours ago, Mike and Carol said:

too much camping in the west where even gas stations can be hard to find!

Like that stretch on the 378 from Pahrump, NV southwest through Shoshone to Baker, CA...  Don't think you'll be seeing too many cyber vehicles in those parts...

• Like 3

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo S GX, Other Victron Stuff: SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller,  DC-DC Charger, 12VDC Starlink kit, and Alcan 5-pack Leaf Springs
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

• Moderators

There's presently a couple of YouTube videos available over on the YouTube channel that cover the delivery of the Cyber Truck in Austin.  

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

EVs are for commuters, grocery-getters and soccer-Moms living in cities and suburbs, where every 24 hours you know exactly where you are going to plug-in (at home)! And it is in the cities where lower emissions are needed.

No interest at all over here. Used my diesel truck recently to drive to Las Vegas for work. There and back, went 580 miles, on one tank of fuel. Try that with a gasser or worse yet an EV. Figure we will get a good 480 miles a tank towing, though so far we have only taken local camping trips. Camping with an EV TV? Which one are you going to plug in? 🤣

Tesla cars look odd enough to my old eyes. This truck looks worse. Couldn't they spend a little more fab time and round out those wheel wells? Really bad lines! Yuch 

• Like 4

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, jd1923 said:

Tesla cars look odd enough to my old eyes. This truck looks worse. Couldn't they spend a little more fab time and round out those wheel wells? Really bad lines! Yuch 

Agree that for RV towing these trucks are a definite no-go.  The reason it is so angular is because the stainless steel panels are not bendable, but they are bullet proof!

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, jd1923 said:

Used my diesel truck recently to drive to Las Vegas for work. There and back, went 580 miles, on one tank of fuel. Try that with a gasser or worse yet an EV.

OK, you tossed down the gauntlet!

Our F-150 3.5 EB shows range of 720 miles upon fill-up.  Actually only get just under 700 miles though if I drive nicely.

Regardless, I totally agree with your point that cross country travels are for sure out of the question for EV's.  At least for some time from now.  And maybe never for pulling an Ollie out west (especially).

🙂

GJ

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

44 minutes ago, Geronimo John said:

OK, you tossed down the gauntlet!

Our F-150 3.5 EB shows range of 720 miles upon fill-up.  Actually, only get just under 700 miles though if I drive nicely. 🙂 GJ

Yeah GJ, you got me! I'm used to old trucks and having owned 5 gas engine trucks through the 80s and 90s, not a one of them got more than 12 MPG, city or highway.

I'm behind on auto technology, and some of these high torque v6 engines are getting impressive. I guess I never cared much since I bought my first diesel Ram exactly 20 years ago (New Years Eve 2023).

What range or MPG does your F-150 3.5 EB get pulling an EII, driving out west?

I will tell you that on that same trip, the stock 2001 2nd Gen Ram Cummins got 19 MPG (some I-40 Interstate, but more mountain county roads and city). Our beautiful '08 Lexus GX470, with the Toyota 4.7L engine got only 13.8 MPG on the same trips.

Under the Christmas tree is an Edge Juice w/ Attitude for my Cummins. The Level I setting should get better fuel mileage for around town. Level II is supposed to increase torque for towing. Levels 3-5 are for the crazies that like to burn rubber, run tractor pulls and blow diesel smoke! I'll enter a post on this later.

4 hours ago, Mike and Carol said:

bullet proof

figuratively speaking...

• Like 1

spacer.png

• 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo S GX, Other Victron Stuff: SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller,  DC-DC Charger, 12VDC Starlink kit, and Alcan 5-pack Leaf Springs

• Moderators

Here’s the LOLOHO video…. It includes the Tesla footage, at about 3.5 minutes in a guy is shooting at the side and that’s followed by Joe Rogan trying to pierce the side with an arrow.

• Like 1

OMG, this truck is so, so ugly IMHO, and btw I love Elon Musk! Love him for his independent thought and relenting consciousness, his SpaceX and Tesla products, and buying Twitter upon disaster from his own personal funds, to stand up for OUR right to free speech!
He is certainly one of the great thinkers and leaders of our time!!! 😂

Sorry but stainless steel can be stamped, fabricated and formed like any other metal (see the DeLorean pic). Give me a sheet of SS metal in my garage and I can bend it, hammer it and shape it, though it is more difficult to work with than basic steel. However, if your requirements require bullet-proof panels, then this is another discussion.

This guy should cancel his "Cyber-Truck" purchase. Why are we talking about this here? If OTT was thinking this direction, we would just have an ordinary Airstream! But their metal is not bullet-proof and looks like cr@p after a few years. 🤣 

Delorean_DMC-12_side.jpg

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
10 hours ago, jd1923 said:

Why are we talking about this here? If OTT was thinking this direction, we would just have an ordinary Airstream! But their metal is not bullet-proof and looks like cr@p after a few years. 🤣 

The reason I posted this is because a lot of us like to discuss new technology.  There’s no suggestion that this would apply to the construction of an Oliver, it’s about a potential tow vehicle.  I have no personal experience in working with steel or stainless steel as you do, I’m just going by the Tesla information that their truck panels are a special alloy that can’t be handled like normal SS.  Mike

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Mike and Carol said:

It includes the Tesla footage, at about 3.5 minutes in a guy is shooting at the side and that’s followed by Joe Rogan trying to pierce the side with an arrow.

Should have watched the video first.  I stand corrected.  

It appears to be bullet proof against pistol cartridges (.45ACP fired from a Colt 1921A1) - but I suspect a modern battle rifle cartridge (i.e., 5.56mm NATO) would sail right through it!  Splitting hairs?

• Like 1

spacer.png

2 minutes ago, Mike and Carol said:

We can all agree it’s pretty tough stuff!

Agree 100%, very tough stuff!  With the $16k "range extender" best case scenario towing range of 230 miles - not bad if there's chargers available.  But out west...?  The question is can it charge while towing with RV solar packages...?

• Like 1

spacer.png