Jump to content

topgun2

Moderators
  • Posts

    7,791
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    467

Everything posted by topgun2

  1. Roundabout - 1. I don't think that there would be a problem with what you are proposing. However, since I have the twin bed model, hopefully those that actually have the king bed setup will come forward to answer this question. 2. With the Elite II your hitch weight will normally be between 500 and 600 pounds. Most (if not all) vehicles other than heavy duty trucks require a weight distribution hitch if that weight is at or over 500 pounds. Therefore, it is my guess that, yes, you will need one. However, you should look at specifically what is required for your vehicle. 3. There have been a number of discussions on this Forum about gutter guards. This is what is most commonly used: https://www.amazon.com/Essential-Products-OW01044-White-Gutter/dp/B01GWF8BYS/ref=sr_1_9? crid=2C93VH46P2K4X&keywords=rv+gutter+guards&qid=1552229679&s=gateway&sprefix=rv+gutter+guards%2Caps%2C202&sr=8-9 However, take a close look at the picture of the Elite II that is shown here on the Forum just as you log in. It shows an awning over the dinette window that was adapted by Little House Customs from a design that is used on the Casita. 4. I suggest that you just read through the Forum to get some idea of what owners have to say about problems they have had with their Olivers. I think that you will find that most problems are associated with products that are not specifically made by Oliver (i.e. fridges, heaters, etc.). In any case, all new Olivers come with a five year warranty on the frame, lifetime on the shells, and, bumper to bumper for one year on the whole thing. Of course this is in addition to any warranty that a component manufacturer has on their product. Plus, just this past week you probably saw this Forum post: http://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/oliver-service-department/ Bill
  2. Perhaps this could be a bit like herding cats, but it is certainly worth a try. I would think that the process would be fairly simple - post the time and places along your route to the Rally that would be convenient for people to meet up. Then wait to see if anyone actually shows up. Obviously, overnight stops would be good for this purpose. Good luck! Bill
  3. Landrover - While there is nothing official (as of yet), I do know that the folks at Oliver have been working on a plan that should provide much the same type of thing as you experienced with Airstream for overnight stays. Sure will be nice when (and if) they actually get it done. Bill
  4. Jim & Mary - No its not on the Forum but Mr. Wamsley does a great job with it each month and it is easy to have it delivered to your email inbox by just sending your email address as per my original post. Bill
  5. John - I'm not a lawyer nor am I an insurance expert. However, I have been down this road before regarding liability issues (not directly with my Oliver though). While I'd be interested in hearing what someone with "expert" knowledge has to say on the subject, it would seem to me that in today's world it is prudent to have personal general liability insurance in addition to the normal home owner's and vehicle insurance that I assume virtually all Oliver owners carry. I doubt very seriously that Oliver Travel Trailers would be in a position to "cover" the insurance or costs for any of us that chose to show our campers to anyone - to include prospective buyers and/or referred contacts. Of course, if someone was injured while touring my camper I would assume that they would sue me and anyone else connected with the "showing" and this would include the entity with the deepest pockets - Oliver. I would also assume that a court would take into account both intent and possible negligence in any decision that they would render. Given some of the "crazy" decisions that we all have read about - who knows. But, within the bounds of my financial resources, I try to cover my liabilities as best I can while at the same time living my life in a sane and prudent manner and do not expect Oliver to cover insurance costs for things that they can not directly control. Bill
  6. For anyone that doesn't presently receive the subject newsletter, you can subscribe by calling: 1-888-526-3978 or emailing at: info@olivertraveltrailers.com telling them that you want to receive the monthly newsletter. This month's Newsletter starts off with a nice video featuring our very own "Bugeyedriver" - Pete and Bosker or click on this link Bill
  7. Nah - just stuff as many pipe cleaners as you can into that larger hole. Given that he bought out the entire North Carolina stock, he should have plenty. Bill
  8. One sure could buy a bunch of pipe cleaners for that $50!
  9. Yesterday, there was a rumor over on the Fiberglass RV Forum that Lil Snoozy had gone out of business. Unfortunately, this morning it appears that the rumor has been confirmed. See: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f51/lil-snoozy-has-closed-shop-88375.html for details. Bill
  10. Yep - I agree with Sherry (unfortunately). Either the gutters (they actually do help but are not bullet proof) or awnings (better but wind can be a problem) can reduce this issue a bunch. Overland - During my "heavy" motorcycle days (inside of face shields on full face helmets) and triathlon days (inside of swim googles) I tried just about any "anti-fog" on the market. None really worked very well. However, I never tried the $50 and oz stuff! Bill
  11. KWR - I've not been called (yet), but while there are always camping spots that some appreciate more than others, there really isn't a "bad" spot at the Rally. This really is a very nice place with excellent facilities. Bill p.s. If you have a bike - throw it in. It can be a fair walk from the camping area to the vendor area and where breakfast is held each day. Of course you can always drive if that is your preference.
  12. RB - Sorry it has taken soooo long, but I finally found a photo of that Buffalo Bill statue outside of Oakley, KS that I mentioned above. Note the crop dusting plane in the left of the background. Bill
  13. 808, Let me add my Welcome to the others. All good suggestions above - particularly the one about contacting the Sales Office at Oliver - see the "888" phone number at the top of this page. There have been "on and off" discussions at the Oliver Company about rentals for situations exactly such as yours. Perhaps, if you ask, you just might be the lucky people to get this program started! Good Luck. Bill p.s. I spent 25 years living and working in St. Louis - hot in the summer and cold in the winter. But, still, a great family town.
  14. Oh boy - here we go (again). As I have stated on the Forum previously, I do not believe that there is a "bad" late model 1/2 ton truck on the market today. Drive them all and pick the one that best suits your individual needs and pocketbook. I happen to own the Ford F-150 that you are going to test drive (2017 Lariat model with tow package). This is my second 3.5 ecoboost with no problems on either one. However, if you plan on keeping this truck for more than 100,000 miles I'd do some further research regarding any known maintenance problems after that level of mileage. In any vehicle of this type that you purchase, I'd make certain that you get the large gas tank (particularly if you are planning on towing virtually anywhere out West) and integrated brake controller. Bill
  15. Glad you like it. Be sure to go over to the bay side either late in the day or (preferable) fairly early in the morning to see the spoonbills. Also, if you take a walk or bike ride on what is called the "straight road" or "carriage road" (this is the original road to the castle from highway 17) be sure to look on both edges for gators. Bill
  16. Rumline - The good, the bad, and the ugly of Yellowstone can be had at many of the "first come, first served" camping areas. In my own experience I've had the times when I just showed up and got a spot - arrived after 11am. However, this was back in my tent and pop-up camper days when I could fit into just about any space. More recently I arrived just after five am and was third in line! And, yes, I then had to wait for the camper that was occupying that spot to leave. This was no big deal in that I simply took a nice nap inside the Ollie. Then, during the two weeks I spent in that campground there never was a day when the campground didn't become full by 10am. Of course there are a couple of campgrounds inside the Park where it wouldn't take you two hours to exit the Park. But, if all or virtually all the sites are taken inside the Park then you can rest assured that many of the closer in sites will also be reasonably crowded. I understand that "Fishing Bridge" campground inside the Park will be closed for a good deal of the summer this year. If that is the case, sites anywhere in the area are going to be a bit more crowded. Bill
  17. Welcome Granitestaters! And now that dreaded long wait really begins. But, you will have your Oliver for the full summer season and be old pros with it in no time at all. I just received an email from a friend of mine in upstart New York who told me that he is looking forward to minus 11 degrees tonight after receiving 7 inches of snow last night. Hopefully it is not that bad where you guys are located. In any case, it is time to start that process of gathering the things you want to make that Oliver all your own. Bill
  18. Here are links to Mike's stuff mentioned above. https://www.amazon.com/Goof-Off-FG653-Professional-Strength/dp/B002MPPYYS/ref=sr_1_3?crid=MR0VA9XT6HW5&keywords=goof+off+pro+strength+remover&qid=1551198148&s=gateway&sprefix=goof+%2Caps%2C176&sr=8-3 and https://www.amazon.com/Ehdis-Visibility-Plastic-Scraping-Windshields/dp/B01HLWB0BM/ref=sr_1_17?crid=MR0VA9XT6HW5&keywords=goof+off+pro+strength+remover&qid=1551198317&s=gateway&sprefix=goof+%2Caps%2C176&sr=8-17 Bill
  19. Have you checked for debris at the end of the inlet manifold (i.e. just past where the propane mixes with air but short of the combustion chamber)? Paint, rust, dirt, dust, etc. can all accumulate here and a sensor that is in that area will not left propane to continue flowing. Using "canned air" or an air compressor you can - gently - blow into this area. Make sure that you DO NOT blow back into the orifice from which the propane comes out (you do not want to plug this or get anything into this very tiny opening). Bill
  20. Hobo - You're looking at a fairly large "can of worms" with this question. See as many discussions here on the Forum regarding the use of the jacks/levelers as you can find and that should give you an idea of the various opinions on the subject of "lifting" the Oliver's frame. Other than simply leaving the Oliver on its wheels for long term storage, another method would be to use "tire supports" such as the Andersen levelers. Since these are curved they would not "flat spot" the tires as much as they would otherwise be if left on a plain flat floor. Bill
  21. RB - I did the same as you - really easy and quick. However, make sure that you warn people to NOT use the screen door handle for support when getting in or out of the camper. I'm certain that both the handle and the door could not stand too much pressure - that is what the inside and outside handles that were already on the Oliver are to be used for. Bill
  22. RB - I feel your pain! Been there, done that and its not just Yosemite. Florida State Parks, South Carolina State Parks, Wyoming, Colorado, etc. have all brought me to my knees in trying to make reservations. Yes, its extremely hard to believe that there are so many people out there with fingers poised on the button trying to get the exact same site. What are the odds? Bill
  23. Ken_Judy - The pressure regulators being discussed are all external in that there is no internal adjustment on the (or in the) Olivers. The main reason for these regulators is that some sources of "city water" have very high water pressure levels such that if the Oliver's (or any other camper for that matter) plumbing were exposed to that high pressure, pipes and/or fittings could be damaged. Bill
  24. cmdmon286- The Oliver camper family is so proud of you! You asked questions, you listened, you practiced, apparently you are learning and you are gaining confidence. It appears to me that you are a virtual guidebook as to how to attack so many "issues" concerning RV's. Thanks for being here> Bill p.s. Keep your guard up - it is when we get rushed and/or complacent that bad things happen.
  25. Phil - Just exactly how "fast" of a "tour" did you give these officers? Got donuts?
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information