F-150 EB 3.5 versus Ram 1500 or 2500

GraniteStaters

PS to Geronimo John's Engineering Perspective:

Sorry, I failed to mention some other key perspectives:

The longer the wheel base of your tow vehicle, the better it will handle your towed load.  However, of course this "PRO", has some "CONS" as well.  Really long TV's are a PITA to park and maneuver.  The compromise for some owners  with a need to favor people loads is to go with something like the F-150 Super Crew, 145" wheel base, with the 5 1/2' bed, or Super Cab with a longer bed if their needs favor cargo.

In my original post, I (and several others) mentioned the importance of knowing your payload, and the specific ability of your truck to haul that payload.  Along those lines is another required decision to ponder.  That is how many people do you need to accommodate and/or how much weight you need to have inside the truck when towing.

These considerations, along with those I (and many others) have posted previously are significant components of "Doing your homework" for the truck that will fit your needs best.  As stated by others, cutting yourself short on TV capacity (Payload, Axles, Bed Space, Butt Count, Leg Room, FUEL CAPACITY, etc.) likely will  result in a TV selection that will not serve you well for the duration.  The important issue is that only you know what will work for YOU.  So like Smokey the Bear ("Only you can prevent forest fires"), only you can determine your TV specifications.  And knowing the basics before even looking at trucks is what "Doing your homework" entails.

Again, good luck.

• Thanks 1

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

• Moderators

So, are you actually suggesting that "I" should do my own homework before buying a truck?  It really is so much easier to simply ask others and then blame them when I get a vehicle that doesn't do what I want it to.

Bill

• Thanks 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

I thought the object was to get recommendations from as many people as possible just to make sure that you get something completely different from everyone else.  Then spend the next few years trying to get someone else to buy the same thing in order to justify your purchase.

• Thanks 1

When I purchase a new vehicle I pretty much have in mind what I'm going to buy before I buy it.  Having looked and read about everything out there and how great each is it pretty much comes down to looking at the pros and the cons and when it comes to a new pickup truck it's getting pretty much down to color choice. One thing I don't do is set around the campfire and get into a discussion why one is better then the other, I like to listen and just hear how bias some can be over there truck and how inferior yours is, they may not say it in so may words, but it's implied. Talking about the Oliver trailer is much more enjoyable and why we made such a good choice.

trainman

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

Current groupthink culture demands that you ask people you've never met for their preferences on what you should purchase. Take plenty of pictures, mostly selfies, post them in as many places as possible, and tweet a few hundred times on how smart you were for taking everyone's advice. In no case think for yourself, do any investigation, or give any indication that your a discerning shopper.  Wait - wait - you didn't get any "likes" awww, bless your little heart.

However, in most cases, when asked, I try to share my experiences, and not make a judgement on which "brand" is better. I have no vested interest or ego to stroke, and truly wish the best for all. But I reserve the right to silently say to myself - well, never mind...

The best TV is... the one you are happy with.

RB

• Thanks 2

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

I have a Ram 3500 Diesel that is an amazing towing beast.  I already had it when we got the Oliver. But it really is more than needed and the ride is very stiff on all but smooth highways.  The power is amazing and I routinely pass effortlessly on grades. The engine brake is another extremely nice feature.  This significantly reduces brake use and there is never a time we don't have enough brakes.  On long downgrades I never touch the brakes.  This truck also gets better mileage than the Hemi.

But having said all that, I'm considering a new truck, partly because mine is a standard cab and partly because we go off road a lot.  For me, the new Ram Rebel is a wonderful choice.  The 5.7 Hemi is a very well proven engine and it has an 8 speed auto.  More and more transmission speeds, at some point, becomes a mere sales tool and has no meaning.  Most modern engines are tuned with variable valve timing that widens out their power band and increases mileage.  More gears doesn't mean better mileage.  The new 2019 and 2020 Rams have and will have an amazing interior.  I always seem to have a cab high shell on my trucks, which means I can't get the Rambox option.  The air suspension seems like the perfect solution for towing, as it will self adjust to re-level the truck when hooked up, but they are having some reliability issues, especially in cold weather, so I've decided to not get that either.  Simple airbags that fit inside the coil springs work well too.  E-torque is another option that is expensive and is mainly useful for city, stop and go traffic. It's being hyped as more than that, and it has other small benefits, but I won't order it.  We don't commute in traffic where it can help the most and all other benefits are too small to be worth the price for me.

Finally, so many have said the Anderson hitch is "necessary", especially with a 1500 or smaller truck.  I would like to see any actual test results or talk to someone who has had a problem while not using one.  I have one and have never installed it.  The Oliver is rock solid all the time.  Remember, the Anderson is a weight distributing hitch that also has sway control.  It is sold by Oliver and works well with the Oliver tongue design.  It can help with tongue weight if needed, but I question if it's needed for sway.  If not, and not needed for weight distributing either, I would definitely not buy it.  And I certainly would not buy it out of fear that the trailer was unstable.  It seems to be an expensive insurance plan purchased out of fear, rather than proven need, in many cases.  If I get a new 1500, I will continue to not use it unless I begin to have a problem that I doubt will ever happen.  And remember, I have one sitting in the garage waiting to go.

It sounds like the F-150 Ecoboost trucks are very nice too.  But there still seems to be some wariness with a small aluminum turbocharged engine pulling so hard all the time.  Can't say that is a problem as long as everything is just right.   The advertised mileage does not hold up when towing and seems to be closer to other trucks in that situation.  I'm also not sure about the aluminum bodies.  They are lighter, but much more expensive to fix.

100,000 miles comes up pretty fast when traveling a lot.  I always like to think I can keep a good truck way beyond that.  The last Cummins I had, I kept for nearly 300,000 miles and it still ran perfectly and used no oil.  The transmission and other things were becoming annoying at that stage and so I sold it.  All of those issues have been addressed in the new trucks, but even the Cummins is becoming harder to service.   The new diesel emissions systems are over the top complicated on any of the new trucks and the diesel option is expensive.  The price of diesel is also a bit higher than regular grade gas to, but close to mid grade that will probably be used in gas engines while towing.  Gas engine emission systems have been pretty much perfected and simplified.   My next truck will have a gas engine, even though I really like diesels and have had a number of them.  As far as I'm concerned, their cost, maintenance hassle and potential for emission system failures has pushed them out of the "practical" range.

My option list for a new Ram is sitting here and being refined almost daily.  The deal I've already been offered is dealer cost minus the holdback, plus a couple of minor charges.   Which translates to dealer invoice minus about $2,400, or about $6-7,000. off  window sticker.  There are some rebates that come and go too.

When buying, NEVER just walk in and start talking to a salesman!  That means you start at the highest price and work slowly down, and it means they get a commission.  Eliminate all of that hassle up front.  Big mistake.  Go directly to the Fleet Manager or the owner FIRST.  Ask them what the current pricing is on (the brand you want). Not the specific vehicle price of one in the showroom, the pricing strategy, such as dealer invoice minus X, for instance.  Then start dealing with them if you wish.

John

"I only exaggerate enough to compensate for being taken with a grain of salt."

LE2 #92 (sold),   Black Series HQ19   

This is very timely.  We found a used 2016 Ram 2500 Mega with a 5.7L engine with the 6 speed transmission and 3.92 differential.  We are also looking a new too.  The truck has the 160 inch wheelbase.  We did see the Rebel in the showroom, but my wife and I didn't really embrace the color scheme.  We both like the Ram trucks.

David Caswell and Paula Saltmarsh

Hull 509 "The Swallow"

• Moderators

Raspy -

The simple bottom line regarding why a weight distribution hitch is "necessary" for the F-150 is not fear or sway or opinion.  It is because Ford says that it is required if the hitch ball weight is over 500 pounds.  Yes, one could chose to ignore Ford on this matter but then they would be risking their warranty and would risk possible liability issues in the event of an accident.  In addition to these "benefits" I have noticed reduced porpoising when hitting bridge expansion joints and the like.  I really do not find the Andersen to be a very big problem.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Raspy, have you considered a Power Wagon? It will do everything you want offroad, and more, it comes with the 6.4 Hemi, 33s,  skid plates, lockers, axle disconnect, solid front axle, and a winch, so you don’t have to worry about losing payload if you make some mods - the are already calculated into the load. It has a light payload for a 2500 since it has that long travel suspension. You would NOT need an Andersen for sure, but you might need airbags for levelling, depending on your load.

If I did not have such a love affair going on with my Land Cruiser, I would be looking at a leftover 2018, they are heavily discounted by some dealers like the one in west Boise ID..... they have THREE beautiful limited edition Mojave Sand PWs for at least $11,500 off. I love that color, it’s perfect for an offroader.

B6194154-293D-43C3-9375-7AA27CD98B14.thumb.jpeg.a5fb90800454f2c82e425bd6f9f256ff.jpeg

11326E15-EE54-41B7-A6A2-C6C9912946A6.jpeg.287b291782522af09859aeae77e06713.jpeg

https://www.dennisdillonchryslerjeepdodge.com/used-vehicles/#action=im_ajax_call&perform=get_results&page=1&type%5B%5D=New&type%5B%5D=Used&type%5B%5D=Certified+Used&year%5B%5D=2018&make%5B%5D=Ram&model%5B%5D=2500&trim%5B%5D=Power+Wagon

If you haven’t looked at one, at least sit inside one and take it around the block. They ride very softly compared to the standard 2500 and especially to any diesel. Dennis Dillon does tons of Internet sales and will pick you up at the airport, their prices are the lowest I have seen anywhere.

https://www.allpar.com/trucks/ram/power-wagon/index.html

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Raspy –

The simple bottom line regarding why a weight distribution hitch is “necessary” for the F-150 is not fear or sway or opinion. It is because Ford says that it is required if the hitch ball weight is over 500 pounds. Yes, one could chose to ignore Ford on this matter but then they would be risking their warranty and would risk possible liability issues in the event of an accident. In addition to these “benefits” I have noticed reduced porpoising when hitting bridge expansion joints and the like. I really do not find the Andersen to be a very big problem.

Bill

Yeah, I get that.  What I mean specifically is the "sway" control.  Not the "weight distributing hitch".  If Ford says they require a WDH, I'm assuming that is what they mean and I would not advise otherwise.   If they said they require a sway control, I would assume that was what they meant.  Those two functions may come together, in varying degrees, with different hitches, but they are not the same thing.  I was referring to sway control when I said it was being purchased out of fear, and not from actual experience.  When Oliver offers, at an additional cost, a sway control device to someone who has no towing experience, and that part is implied to, or said to compensate for a known problem, or to be for safety, or to compensate for something else being wrong, the purchaser is put in an interesting position.  Buy the extra part to compensate for an unknown problem, or take a chance.  How often is Oliver asked what the problem really is?  Do they know of stability problems they are not telling us about?

I think Oliver is just selling a WDH hitch, for tow vehicles that need one, that works well with the Oliver tongue and front shroud design.  And since it also offers some sway control, fine.  But that doesn't mean everyone needs sway control.  Eventually,  so many people have WDHs that the conversation devolves into, "you need sway control!" and people start  feeling they are unsafe without it, or that sway control is the same thing as weight distribution.  It's simpler to buy it, than test to see if you need it.   If everybody has it, it must be necessary, or so the logic goes.  I can say with certainty it is not necessary in every case, and that it can interfere with the factory stability system, but I cannot say it's not ever needed, nor would I try to.

On this forum, there has been talk about the Ford stability control system and how the sway control in the Anderson Hitch interferes with it.  The question was asked what to do, how to deal with that, and Anderson's reply was: "shut off" the Ford Stability Control system!  That is where I went off and scolded them for telling people to shut off a factory included safety system.

If  you want to talk about liability problems and potential personal injuries, that might be a good place to start.  Just don't confuse sway control with weight distribution, or tell people they need to buy an Anderson Hitch just to get sway control.

John

• Moderators

I’ve been looking at the 1500 Rebel and 2500 Power Wagon and am leaning to the 2500 6.4 with the adjustable air suspension.  The new model does ride nice and has a nice interior.  The graphics on the bed would have to come off.  Mike

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Raspy, have you considered a Power Wagon? It will do everything you want offroad, and more, it comes with the 6.4 Hemi, 33s, skid plates, lockers, axle disconnect, solid front axle, and a winch, so you don’t have to worry about losing payload if you make some mods – the are already calculated into the load. It has a light payload for a 2500 since it has that long travel suspension. You would NOT need an Andersen for sure, but you might need airbags for levelling, depending on your load.

If I did not have such a love affair going on with my Land Cruiser, I would be looking at a leftover 2018, they are heavily discounted by some dealers like the one in west Boise ID….. they have THREE beautiful limited edition Mojave Sand PWs for at least $11,500 off. I love that color, it’s perfect for an offroader.

B6194154-293D-43C3-9375-7AA27CD98B14

11326E15-EE54-41B7-A6A2-C6C9912946A6

https://www.dennisdillonchryslerjeepdodge.com/used-vehicles/#action=im_ajax_call&perform=get_results&page=1&type%5B%5D=New&type%5B%5D=Used&type%5B%5D=Certified+Used&year%5B%5D=2018&make%5B%5D=Ram&model%5B%5D=2500&trim%5B%5D=Power+Wagon

If you haven’t looked at one, at least sit inside one and take it around the block. They ride very softly compared to the standard 2500 and especially to any diesel. Dennis Dillon does tons of Internet sales and will pick you up at the airport, their prices are the lowest I have seen anywhere.

https://www.allpar.com/trucks/ram/power-wagon/index.html

John Davies

Spokane WA

John,

Yes, that Power Wagon is an awesome truck.

The main reason I don't want one is the 6.4 heavy duty gas engine.  It's an extreme gas hog in my estimation and I think it would be hard to live with.  The Rebel is bad enough in that regard.

But the Power wagon is cool.  I've been a fan of all of them since I was a kid and have had two of earlier generations.   The new ones are great, except for the mileage.

Do you have any experience with them that would give a real world sense of the gas mileage?  I'd be expecting maybe 8 towing Ollie, maybe worse.

John

Do you have any experience with them that would give a real world sense of the gas mileage? I’d be expecting maybe 8 towing Ollie, maybe worse.

Nope, I have never owned one. You need to check in to a PW forum, I am sure there are threads about it. I do seem to recall that the general consensus about fuel economy is “suck it up, it’s a big heavy lifted truck.”

I have owned a Gen 3 (2006 3500) Cummins 5.9 and I loved the torque, the 14 to 16 mpgs I got towing, and 20-22 empty at 60 mph. Loved the loooong range. Hated every other thing about that truck! If you keep a diesel out of warranty it can kill you financially.

My truck ate ball joints - they were too small for that 1200 pound boat anchor riding on top. The front suspension up travel was maybe three inches before it hit the bump stop. The power steering pump failed at 85,000 miles during our Ollie maiden voyage in TN. That was a $3600 out of pocket cost and a three day delay, since it sent steel particles into the brake booster, steering rack and all the lines. The entire system had to be replaced. A pump failure on a gas truck would have cost about a third of that.

I put a set of $1400 Corbeau suspension racing seats in it in an attempt to reduce the jarring ride on forest roads. They were a great improvement but my dogs and wife hated the motion.

My truck was the last year for the 5.9 so no emissions. I won’t own a later year diesel simply because of the emissions, since I can’t afford a new one and I would keep it long past any warranty expired.

We traded it in on our 90,000 mile Land Cruiser (got $24k for the Ram which startled me) and never looked back. I won’t ever own another diesel. The cost benefit ratio is all wrong for me. I would rather drive a bulletproof gas engine, have great off pavement handling, and put lots of fuel in it. That’s why I like the Power Wagon, it is simple and cheap to maintain and it doesn’t have an extra 600 pounds riding on the front ball joints.... Too bad it never got that cool Cummins V8 5.0. It would fit neatly in there with plenty of room for the winch..... but it would still be too darned heavy for decent offroad handling.

BTW my 200 on Plus 2 33” LT Ridge Grapplers gets 15 to 17 on back highways, empty, and 10 to 12 towing at 60 mph. Tow at 70 and it gets into single digits. I imagine the Power Wagon would have similar numbers. But probably better empty mpgs since it has cylinder deactivation.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

If this interest anyone our new 2019 Ram 1500, 4X4, Crew Cab got 14.1 MPG pulling our 2018 Casita this week. We only went around 350 miles to Tyler State Park from Ft. Worth, Texas, pretty flat driving and not too many hills along the way. No 18-wheeler's, or cross-winds gave any problems for the truck or trailer, in fact I never felt a push from the wind on the trailer in any direction, I do not use a sway-bar, or equalizer hitch. I do not plan to use a sway-bar, or equalizer hitch when pulling our new Elite II, or at least I will try it first and see how it handles. The Casita with tongue weight of 430 lbs. is reasonable to the Elite II with is around 460 lbs. dry weight. I've done a weight test on the Ram's hitch and the truck will only set down 1 1/2" with that amount of weight hitched. The Ram still sets correctly and the front end never felt light and was always under control at highway speeds, remember I will be looking for any problems that may occur when testing without the sway-bar and equalizer hitch. Remember the new Ram has upped there GVWR and it's well within its max limits, so I do feel that I will be operating within a safe margin to experiment with this test setup. We do travel light when we camp, so our Ram will have very little weight in it except for our weigh we will probably be caring around 200/250 lbs. max and that will be in the cab of the vehicle. Remember it will be a test to see if we need an Anderson setup or not.

trainman

• Thanks 1

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

• Moderators

Trainman -

I'd check both your owner's manual and look for any stickers on or under your hitch on that Ram.  For most (if not all) 1/2 ton trucks it is a manufacturers' requirement that a weight distribution hitch be used if the hitch ball weight is 500 pounds or over.

In the discussion above a point is made concerning of the differences between weight distribution and sway control.  Shortly after bringing my Elite II home I went out without my Andersen WDH just to see what the trailer would do.  I turned off my Ford anti-sway control too.  Up to speeds of 65 mph I simply could not get the Oliver to sway.  Mind you I didn't go crazy given that I was not on the road alone, but, I did really try to get it to sway.  There was not one hint of sway.  However, like it or not, the Andersen WDH is the only one that will easily work with the Oliver.  And, it does not come without the built in anti-sway portion.  Therefore, I really do not think that Oliver is trying to hide anything regarding the stability of the Oliver Travel Trailer - I believe it is simple - the Andersen is the only WDH that easily works with the Oliver Travel Trailer and since WDH are required for many vehicles it is the one they sell.

Bill

• Thanks 2

Trainman –

I’d check both your owner’s manual and look for any stickers on or under your hitch on that Ram. For most (if not all) 1/2 ton trucks it is a manufacturers’ requirement that a weight distribution hitch be used if the hitch ball weight is 500 pounds or over.

In the discussion above a point is made concerning of the differences between weight distribution and sway control. Shortly after bringing my Elite II home I went out without my Andersen WDH just to see what the trailer would do. I turned off my Ford anti-sway control too. Up to speeds of 65 mph I simply could not get the Oliver to sway. Mind you I didn’t go crazy given that I was not on the road alone, but, I did really try to get it to sway. There was not one hint of sway. However, like it or not, the Andersen WDH is the only one that will easily work with the Oliver. And, it does not come without the built in anti-sway portion. Therefore, I really do not think that Oliver is trying to hide anything regarding the stability of the Oliver Travel Trailer – I believe it is simple – the Andersen is the only WDH that easily works with the Oliver Travel Trailer and since WDH are required for many vehicles it is the one they sell.

Bill

Bill,

Good post and good testing.  I agree.

If a WDH is required by the manufacturer, or just to reduce sag, use one.  And since the Anderson works well with the Oliver, that is the right one to use.

I don't have a Ram 1500 (yet), so I can't check the manual, but I wonder if Ram requires one as Ford does with the F150?

Trainman,

Does your manual say anything about a WDH?  And thanks for your report too!  It makes me more confident about going from a 3500 to a 1500.  Also, I don't remember if we discussed this, but Air-Ride makes some nice bags that go inside the rear coils. They come in two strengths.

John

For most (if not all) 1/2 ton trucks it is a manufacturers’ requirement that a weight distribution hitch be used if the hitch ball weight is 500 pounds or over.

True.  Interestingly though, while all the manufacturers seem to add this blanket requirement, I haven't been able to find what exactly defines a WD hitch; i.e., how much weight must it transfer, what testing/certification is involved, etc.

• Moderators

A quick look resulted in one source saying that for a RAM 1500 a WDH was required while another source said that a WDH was recommended for trailer weights over 5,000 pounds.

Bill

They make some interesting comments about the changes in the new 2019 Rebel model. They got about 18 mpg cruising at 70 to 80 mph. Not as good as I would have expected but they did a lot of climbing. I really like the new Rebel, but if I had to choose, for the same price I would get the PW since in the end it is a heavy duty truck with better articulating offroad  suspension, better angles, front locker, solid front axle, axle disconnect and a winch (the only factory winch offered in any current vehicle), and I would worry a lot less about driving it in nasty conditions. Plus I could use a simple dead weight or offroad hitch for the Ollie.

If I got a Rebel I would order the big tank, low gears and the dealer installed 2” taller steel spring lift kit, and consider installing 35s if I felt the need to more clearance. If they offered the hybrid version with the 5.7 Rebel, I think I would probably choose it over the PW. It might be worth waiting a year to see if this becomes an option.... for towing and offroad it would be stellar.

E1EA398A-EC73-4A6A-8FCF-F0FB20D003EA.jpeg.bba4a90e3275bbadd917262beb6f395d.jpeg

https://www.allpar.com/trucks/ram/2018-1500.html

Keep in mind that a tonneau or cab height canopy will improve highway mileage measurably on any pickup.

I think the bottom line is whether you want all the latest tech and a more carlike experience, or simpler systems and a truckier vehicle. I know which vehicle a forest ranger or border patrol guy would drive, and it ain’t a Rebel.

7D9248F7-563E-424C-BF96-8C4362AFF89C.thumb.jpeg.d7957b60d5bb8f1532f43d39367f461c.jpeg

John Davies

Spokane WA

John,

I do like the PW.  And I'm uneasy about giving up the abilities of my 3500 as far as towing and cargo capacity are concerned.   I also have a Rubicon for serious off road work and I'm planning on lots of trips towing Ollie, so mileage is important.  If I'm understanding it right, the PW is only available in the crew cab and I want the quad.  Not a huge difference, but they just get longer and longer, to the point of being useless in parking lots and off road.  I've always been a standard cab guy, but now it's getting a bit crowded in there with all the stuff and the dog.  I'm not as hard core as I once was either and having a nice truck to travel in seems appealing.

It's also a stretch to give up on Cummins, but the complexity of the new ones is not for me.  I had a water pump bearing go out on a trip last year and it threw off the belt too.  I could not fix it because of the extremely crowded area in front of the engine.  Normally a one hour job took a shop three days.  And the belt has over 20 different routings with different options.  It took a study on-line to figure it out.  My '04 was simple.  A belt and a 1/2" drive was all that was needed.  And it could be reached easily.  I consider the water pump and the belt to be routine maintenance and I might have to change a belt out in the desert somewhere.  Not with this truck!  One of the first things I did while looking at new trucks, was water pump access.  The Hemi looks easy.

The Ecodiesel is not for me either.  I do not like overhead cam V6 engines and the complicated emissions stuff is out of the question.  Too bad Ram missed out on the 5.0 Cummins Diesel, but that is water under the bridge.

Decisions, decisions.

John

PS, it might be good to wait since the 2020 Power Wagon has some changes coming, a new interior, maybe even an 8 speed. Plus room for even huger tires.... LOL

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a25384478/ram-power-wagon-2020-pickup-spy-shots/

Aaaaaand Ford’s new 7.3 liter gas V8 is tuned for fuel economy and will have beaucoup torque. And the water pump is right on top of the timing case. It appears to be a very simple engine to maintain. It will only be offered in the Super Dutys.

0EA48154-6875-4CEA-A63C-991B94422288.thumb.jpeg.3d4b00f7ca09ad22c78b202aa9527885.jpeg

Talk about choices.....

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

For J.D.

<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/x6eagyZegcg?feature=oembed" name="fitvid0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Thanks! I have not seen that vehicle, it is pretty amazing. I think it would tow an ollie....

0625F2AB-2210-4145-8374-F68BC626F0CE.thumb.png.d27ec8a793b2ab76f028087056ec5b4b.png

That is a 13k winch below the TWO spare tires and the massive slide out drawer.... to match the winch up front.

The build level and design of the overland equipment is jaw dropping. However, it isn't a Land Cruiser killer because the Cruiser will take you out to the end of the world, and beyond, and back again. The Ram will take you out at least part way and maybe not back at all. The Toyota reliability is stellar. I just wish we could get some of the lower level models with twin turbo diesel that are available down under.... I don’t like diesels but that one would work for me.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• 1 month later...

I am looking at a couple of towing vehicles and would like a question answered please. 2016 GMC Sierra 1500  Towing Capacity (Max) there are two numbers 2000/10,800 lbs. What does the first number mean? The saleslady did not know.  Payload is 1770 lbs. This one has 420 horsepower @5600rps with 305 torque & 3900 rpm. This truck has 39,000 miles on it.

Next would be a 2016 Ford F150 XLT and the towing capacity (Max) us 1500/11,600 lbs . Pay load for truck is 2100 lbs. 385 horsepower @5750 rpms and 387 torque at @3850 rpms. This truck has 42,000 miles on it.

If anyone met me at the Rally you know I am clueless about this towing stuff.

Thank you for any information.    Nan Wallace