Bike rack weight limits

On 9/3/2022 at 11:15 AM, Carl Hansen said:

I too had a machine shop remove the insert for our two inch bike rack. It has been rock solid. 

804B4B95-4208-4DEF-A33C-D4A62247D470.jpeg

My wife and I have been looking for a solution to our bike problem, and this picture looks like it could be the answer for us.   I hope you don't mind a few questions.   Did you have the receiver sleeve custom made, or did you buy it off the shelf?   How much weight do you put on the bumper between the rack and your bikes?  And, have you had a positive experience so far with this setup?    We're planning a trip of about 4 months to Alaska this summer and need to find a way to use the Oliver to carry our e-bikes.    TIA for any help!

Scott & Andrea Saunders and our poodle pups Sunny and Stormy 

2022 Legacy Elite II - Hull # 1139  |  2023 Ford F-250 Tremor SRW Diesel 4x4 

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory

We purchased the receiver option from Oliver. The receiver from Oliver is a 2 inch receiver with an insert to make it 1 1/2”. When I got back to Oregon, I went to a local machine shop and had them remove the insert. Now our 2 inch bike rack fits perfectly. 

Between the rack and both bikes, we are still under the 150 lb limit. 

We have towed almost 7 K mile with this configuration and we have had no problems. 

Good luck with your outfit. 

Carl

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3
  • Wow 2

2021 Legacy Elite I | "Lil' Tow" | Hull #924

Tow Vehicle: 2020 Jeep Gladiator

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

I have respect for the elegant and creative solutions on these mods. I have given my voice on prior mods to the trailer bumper rack system. I spent 20 years as an executive and partner at Yakima Racks and can speak from experience.  There is a good reason for the factory set weight limit. The length of the back half of the fulcrum (trailer axles to the trailer bumper) is many times greater than from the axles of any TV to its bumper. Not to mention the forward distance from trailer axles to the bulldog hitch. Consider these distances and the vertical distance the bulldog hitch instantly travels up and down when your rig encounters dips, rises, steep driveways and potholes. The results of these encounters are nothing less than absolute violence at the trailer bumper. The forces applied at the trailer bumper are magnitudes greater than almost all receiver hitch systems are designed to withstand. Of the many receiver hitch mounted bike systems Yakima produces, only one is approved to withstand the extreme forces of being mounted to an RV bumper. I cannot judge your mods and if they will withstand the test of time. The test of time being constant vibration, sudden jolts, and that once in the life compression or frost heave that rocks your rig like never before.

The scope of actual experience of trailer bumper systems within Oliver users is very small as there are 1,200 +/- trailers on the road compared to the well more than a million Yakima systems on the road.

I can only advise to operate with an abundance of caution when modifying your bumper system and or exceeding the factory load limit.

Edited by taylor.coyote
spelling
  • Thanks 4
  • Like 8
  • Love 1

2016 Legacy Elite II, Twin Beds, Hull #124

Tow Vehicle: 2019 Ford F250 4x4  / Short Bed / Crew Cab / 6.7 Diesel

Fieldbrook, Ca

10 hours ago, Carl Hansen said:

We purchased the receiver option from Oliver. The receiver from Oliver is a 2 inch receiver with an insert to make it 1 1/2”. When I got back to Oregon, I went to a local machine shop and had them remove the insert. Now our 2 inch bike rack fits perfectly. 

Between the rack and both bikes, we are still under the 150 lb limit. 

We have towed almost 7 K mile with this configuration and we have had no problems. 

Good luck with your outfit. 

Carl

Carl,

A great report and thank you for posting up your use and mileage stats.
Hopefully this puts any concerns about removing the 1.25 core and using the Oliver aluminum 2” sleeve finally to rest. Simply staying under the weight limit is key.
We really like our 1Up double bike rack.

Patriot🇺🇸

• Like 2

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor 

IMG_2879.jpeg

• 3 months later...
  • Moderators

@Patriot

I am researching the OTT bike carrier / 1UP SD, double tray combination.  There has been a lot of discussion concerning the weight limit of the OTT option and you provided a picture of your rack / receiver weight limit sticker which states that the limit is 150 lbs.  But I haven’t read anything about the other limiting factor on that sticker concerning the length of accessories attached to the receiver which is 24” in length.  Would you provide a front to back measurement of your 1UP rack mounted in position to carry 2 bikes, verifying it also meets the 24" limitation?

Thanks in advance,

Mossey

IMG_1133.jpeg.4159cf0d75e424c3dc643e31b1ab23b6.jpeg

• Like 1

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

18 hours ago, mossemi said:

@Patriot

I am researching the OTT bike carrier / 1UP SD, double tray combination.  There has been a lot of discussion concerning the weight limit of the OTT option and you provided a picture of your rack / receiver weight limit sticker which states that the limit is 150 lbs.  But I haven’t read anything about the other limiting factor on that sticker concerning the length of accessories attached to the receiver which is 24” in length.  Would you provide a front to back measurement of your 1UP rack mounted in position to carry 2 bikes, verifying it also meets the 24" limitation?

Thanks in advance,

Mossey

IMG_1133.jpeg.4159cf0d75e424c3dc643e31b1ab23b6.jpeg

Front to back is 26.5” - so I am 2.5” over. That said to date we have 8000 miles on the 1 Up and zero issues with how it is mounted on our Oliver.
A brief discussion with Oliver Service prior to ordering the 1Up Super Duty rack we learned there have been no reported or known issues with this present configuration. 
You are welcome! Pedal On! 🚴

Patriot🇺🇸

• Like 4

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor 

IMG_2879.jpeg

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/25/2021 at 8:24 AM, GAP said:

The problem is that all bike racks (I've found) that are "RV approved" require a 2" receiver.  If you use an adapter for a 1.25" receiver, it voids the RV delineation.  I was told by service at Oliver that the chocking down of their receiver was a result of some dummy using the older 2" receiver to tow a car behind the trailer.  I understand their concern but the stickers they currently attach to the receiver area clearly states the weight and usage limitations.  By supplying a 1.25" receiver, Oliver is charging $800 for a unit that should not be used for what it is intended to do.  Safe or not, they are minimizing their liability by maximizing ours

I bought the OTT bike hitch for our #1290, but am having a problem finding a rack for your reasons too.  It seems that all RV rated bike racks for trailers require a 2 inch receiver.  I have a Thule rack bought a few years ago, but it's not RV rated.  

John

• Like 1

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

6 minutes ago, John Welte said:

I bought the OTT bike hitch for our #1290, but am having a problem finding a rack for your reasons too.  It seems that all RV rated bike racks for trailers require a 2 inch receiver.  I have a Thule rack bought a few years ago, but it's not RV rated.  

John

This is the rack I have and it works well for my needs.  When researching for a rack, the Let's go aero was the only rack I could find which has 1 1/4" AND was rated for use on the back of. travel trailer (not just the back of a RV, which is a different rating).  You will notice that the Lets go Aero rack is also the rack used in Oliver literature when shown hauling bikes.  Good luckj with whatever you decide

https://www.amazon.com/Lets-Go-Aero-BikeWing-2-V-Rack/dp/B09JGTYKDG/ref=sr_1_8?crid=1W9247BM44XEC&keywords=lets+go+aero+bike+rack&qid=1689030499&sprefix=lets+go+aero+bike+rack%2Caps%2C372&sr=8-8&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.f5122f16-c3e8-4386-bf32-63e904010ad0

• Thanks 3

2021 Elite II, Hull# 898

2018 Toyota Tundra, 2003 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9l SRW

On 10/29/2021 at 9:01 AM, ScottRicki said:

Thought I would share my solution to the bike rack receiver saga. We use the 1-Up for two bikes. I used a Curt bumper receiver with a sheet of rubber to isolate the iron from aluminum, with neoprene washers under stainless nuts on bottom. The hole patterns seemed far enough away from Oliver holes to not weaken the beam too much. I considered adding a 13 inch long  aluminum plate on bottom as a giant strengthening washer but decided that might be over engineering (as I have accused  of by my wife frequently). The wide receiver plate also adds strengthening across the Oliver holes. Initially I was going to cut off the upright tabs but the paint job on the receiver is too good to destroy.  

IMG_0529smlr.jpg

IMG_0531smlr.jpg

IMG_0533smlr.jpg

This seems like a good solution.  How is it working for you?

John

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

3 minutes ago, Mountainman198 said:

This is the rack I have and it works well for my needs.  When researching for a rack, the Let's go aero was the only rack I could find which has 1 1/4" AND was rated for use on the back of. travel trailer (not just the back of a RV, which is a different rating).  You will notice that the Lets go Aero rack is also the rack used in Oliver literature when shown hauling bikes.  Good luckj with whatever you decide

https://www.amazon.com/Lets-Go-Aero-BikeWing-2-V-Rack/dp/B09JGTYKDG/ref=sr_1_8?crid=1W9247BM44XEC&keywords=lets+go+aero+bike+rack&qid=1689030499&sprefix=lets+go+aero+bike+rack%2Caps%2C372&sr=8-8&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.f5122f16-c3e8-4386-bf32-63e904010ad0

I have fenders and racks so it looks like that rack won't work.  We live in Oregon.  Fenders are necessary here.  That was the name of the rack that OTT recommended.  I think replacing the 1.25" receiver with a 2" may be my only option.

John 

• Like 1

spacer.png

13 hours ago, John Welte said:

I have fenders and racks so it looks like that rack won't work.  We live in Oregon.  Fenders are necessary here.  That was the name of the rack that OTT recommended.  I think replacing the 1.25" receiver with a 2" may be my only option.

John 

John, I sent you a PM with the solution that the previous owner devised for our Oliver.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Hull #364 - The Roadrunner 

2023 F350 CCLB SRW 6.7L

ALAKAZARCACOFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMSMO

13 hours ago, John Welte said:

John 

My bike has fenders and a rear rack with collapsable side basket. The rack works. Let us know which route you go and how it works for you  

E0D3BDFC-4CA4-48A4-BFFD-A240CDC81C52.png

2021 Elite II, Hull# 898

2018 Toyota Tundra, 2003 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9l SRW

15 minutes ago, Wandering Sagebrush said:

IMG_3677.thumb.jpeg.1e3f82c607c0a980d337a1ee33c6d889.jpeg

Here’s the back of our Ollie.

Very nice! I just purchased this set for ours to be installed with the same concept. I was looking for maximum versatility and light weight. The combination empty on the frame extensions will add about 70# to the back of the camper. The empty tool box weighs about 45# and lifts out easily if we want to just carry something in the tray.

image.png.026b221d750b117dfd95bee7151fca3c.png

• Like 3

What's today?............. the most frequently asked question as a retiree 🙄

Chris and Stacie Neuhaus Greenfield, Indiana

2021 Ford F350 7.3L Tremor (Redzilla)

LE2 #1373 - Ordered 10/21/22 - Delivered 05/10/23

States Visited Map

I installed a Reese Towpower 81378 bumper hitch yesterday. It isn't the prettiest thing. But many reviews of this style receiver had reports of bad welds, with a couple of instances of complete failures while on the road. (Nothing left of a bike rack with bikes except the bolted down plate.)

I chose this one because I don't trust welds on cheaply made products, and it was the only one that I could find that had the base plate wrap up around the receiver. So if the weld fails, there's still a ring of the bolted plate hanging on. Attached with 1/2" stainless fasteners designed for high pressure applications.

*If* the local bike shop gets their act together and has our new e-bikes ready before Sunday, we will be testing this setup soon.

IMG_9429.thumb.jpeg.b04aa7e6170dbabd08a67dddda83e512.jpeg

IMG_9430.thumb.jpeg.fd4cc4675d1590cf3f8b60a4fd610428.jpeg

• Like 2

-----
Steve - Northern Ohio, USA
Wandering around on occasion, always lost.
2021 Toyota Land Cruiser - 2023 Oliver Elite II Twin Hull #1360 “Curiosity”
Facebook - Instagram

Camped in Curiosity = Green —— Visited with Curiosity = Gray

map.jpg

17 minutes ago, Steve Morris said:

I installed a Reese Towpower 81378 bumper hitch yesterday. It isn't the prettiest thing. But many reviews of this style receiver had reports of bad welds, with a couple of instances of complete failures while on the road. (Nothing left of a bike rack with bikes except the bolted down plate.)

I chose this one because I don't trust welds on cheaply made products, and it was the only one that I could find that had the base plate wrap up around the receiver. So if the weld fails, there's still a ring of the bolted plate hanging on. Attached with 1/2" stainless fasteners designed for high pressure applications.

*If* the local bike shop gets their act together and has our new e-bikes ready before Sunday, we will be testing this setup soon.

IMG_9429.thumb.jpeg.b04aa7e6170dbabd08a67dddda83e512.jpeg

IMG_9430.thumb.jpeg.fd4cc4675d1590cf3f8b60a4fd610428.jpeg

It looks like you didn't get the OTT bike rack option.  It looks like a secure installation to me.  How do you plan to address the galvanic corrosion because of the two different metals.  I wonder if the painted hitch might be enough.

John

spacer.png

4 minutes ago, John Welte said:

It looks like you didn't get the OTT bike rack option.

That is on the OTT bike rack. I removed the aluminum 1-1/4" receiver, and drilled new holes for this one. I have the 1UP Super Duty Double rack, which requires 2".

I inserted a thin tough plastic pad between the hitch and the crossbar.

• Like 3

-----
Facebook - Instagram

map.jpg

On 2/20/2023 at 9:57 PM, taylor.coyote said:

I have respect for the elegant and creative solutions on these mods. I have given my voice on prior mods to the trailer bumper rack system. I spent 20 years as an executive and partner at Yakima Racks and can speak from experience.  There is a good reason for the factory set weight limit. The length of the back half of the fulcrum (trailer axles to the trailer bumper) is many times greater than from the axles of any TV to its bumper. Not to mention the forward distance from trailer axles to the bulldog hitch. Consider these distances and the vertical distance the bulldog hitch instantly travels up and down when your rig encounters dips, rises, steep driveways and potholes. The results of these encounters are nothing less than absolute violence at the trailer bumper. The forces applied at the trailer bumper are magnitudes greater than almost all receiver hitch systems are designed to withstand. Of the many receiver hitch mounted bike systems Yakima produces, only one is approved to withstand the extreme forces of being mounted to an RV bumper. I cannot judge your mods and if they will withstand the test of time. The test of time being constant vibration, sudden jolts, and that once in the life compression or frost heave that rocks your rig like never before.

The scope of actual experience of trailer bumper systems within Oliver users is very small as there are 1,200 +/- trailers on the road compared to the well more than a million Yakima systems on the road.

I can only advise to operate with an abundance of caution when modifying your bumper system and or exceeding the factory load limit.

Thanks for your post.  I thought the same thing about the forces.  Abundance of caution seems like very good advice.  I was thinking that the main force would come from behind the rear axle, but you also mentioned the movement at the tv hitch in the front of the trailer.  I would think that those of us that use the Anderson hitch have some more moderation of movement than without the Anderson.

John

• Thanks 2

spacer.png

11 hours ago, John Welte said:

Of the many receiver hitch mounted bike systems Yakima produces, only one is approved to withstand the extreme forces of being mounted to an RV bumper

Is that the LongHaul bike rack? 
image.thumb.jpeg.6e4725e73eb57262eff92cd72c090c61.jpeg

2023 Elite II, Hull# 1386, Lithium Platinum Package (640AH, 400W Solar, 3000W Xantrex Inverter)
Truma water heater & AC

TV: 2024 Silverado 2500HD 6.6L 10-Speed Allison

2 hours ago, rich.dev said:

Is that the LongHaul bike rack? 
image.thumb.jpeg.6e4725e73eb57262eff92cd72c090c61.jpeg

I checked and that rack is approved for the back of a travel trailer.  Thule also makes one that's approved.  The Thule looks more substantial in my opinion.

John

• Like 1

spacer.png

On 7/12/2023 at 11:57 AM, Steve Morris said:

Slightly off topic, but we picked them up yesterday. They work great on the 1UP rack, but I didn't account for the rear fender stay width on the dark blue one. So I had to remove the stays and zip tie them to get it home. I'll Mickey Mouse something together for the weekend, and meanwhile, there are a set of fat tire adaptors on the way from 1UP. The bikes didn't move over railroad tracks or bad Ohio roads on the 18 mile trip home.

Today I'll move the rack to the Oliver and try out my Reese bumper hitch for the first time. I sure hope things work as expected!!

IMG_9450.thumb.jpeg.cf631696777681a628265b1f0505610c.jpeg

IMG_9458.thumb.jpeg.a3fc92ab7e1397a2621190f146f6ccc0.jpeg

IMG_9463.thumb.jpeg.70a9f2258837cb28fdf816e21bfb7746.jpeg

• Like 2

-----
Facebook - Instagram

map.jpg

Congrats!  Nice looking bikes!  How do you like your 1Up?

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo S GX, Other Victron Stuff: SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller,  DC-DC Charger, 12VDC Starlink kit, and Alcan 5-pack Leaf Springs
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

28 minutes ago, MAX Burner said:

How do you like your 1Up?

So far it's great! Others on here have used them for thousands of miles. I have the Super Duty model, and I added the foam fender cushion, EZ Pull, and long ramp options.

After we get back from this short outing, I'm going to order a couple of sets of folding or quick-disconnect pedals for additional clearance. 

• Like 3

-----
Facebook - Instagram

map.jpg

19 minutes ago, Steve Morris said:

I'm going to order a couple of sets of folding or quick-disconnect pedals for additional clearance. 

Great idea - I'll look into QD pedals as well...  Thanks!

• Like 1

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo S GX, Other Victron Stuff: SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller,  DC-DC Charger, 12VDC Starlink kit, and Alcan 5-pack Leaf Springs
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX