Counter/tabletop Options

MarylandDave

Am I the only one who finds it surprising that there isn’t a black fiberganite choice? We would probably just go with the regular decor choice with the black table but the white counters make the amount of white a little overwhelming. Thoughts? Or is that the point - to induce buyers to spend the extra $1800?

Secondly, has anyone ever retrofit with wood counters? I love the sleek and modern interior of the Ollie but it strikes me that some wood counters would add accent and warmth. 

Does Oliver not offer the Dakota Black counters any more?  That would be strange, since it seems like one of the most popular colors.  They just sent me a bath vanity top in that color.

Oliver used to do wood for the microwave door if you had that option, and wood for the small countertops at the fridge and panty used to be an option.  I've also seen photos of one Ollie with a wooden dinette table.  I've never seen one with the kitchen countertop in wood, but there may be one out there - certainly it's possible.  At least one of the earliest Ollies had wooden doors on the cabinets and even the bath and closet!

1527323225_ScreenShot2016-12-19at2_59_55PM.png.bd34c3ffca117ee5fa67d0907141b69f.png2069240638_ScreenShot2016-12-19at2_58_34PM.thumb.png.df3e93deedc069688c751d5f58146559.png10073783446_bbd44dc923_o.thumb.jpg.4733b0010da928d0b34a264806015b63.jpg

Edited by Overland
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Overland said:

Does Oliver not offer the Dakota Black counters any more?  That would be strange, since it seems like one of the most popular colors.  They just sent me a bath vanity top in that color.

"Oliver's m.o. for the past two or three years has been to carefully study what owners want, have researched, implemented, are satisfied with, etc., and then do something different."

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, MarylandDave said:

Am I the only one who finds it surprising that there isn’t a black fiberganite choice? We would probably just go with the regular decor choice with the black table but the white counters make the amount of white a little overwhelming. Thoughts? Or is that the point - to induce buyers to spend the extra $1800?

Secondly, has anyone ever retrofit with wood counters? I love the sleek and modern interior of the Ollie but it strikes me that some wood counters would add accent and warmth. 

Oliver used to offer a wood accent upgrade but they must have run into a supplier issue. I ordered this option on my 2018  but the trailer was delivered with an obvious finish flaw on one of the panels. After a couple of attempts by Oliver to rectify, I ended up having to refinish them myself. In spite of this, I still like them and wish they could have resolved their issue.

I really like the look of wood for the dinette table, under the microwave, under the pantry, and on the nightstand (twin).  It gives an organic feeling of a home.  Not sure I would want to replace the fibergranite at the sink/stove and bath areas with wood because of heat and moisture.  Would also love to see a pretty navy or royal blue in the ultrafabric.  And an induction stove option instead of propane.  Solar all electric!!  JMHO.

I'm pretty sure that Oliver was using a local carpenter for their wood accents.  Personally, I prefer the wood, finish, etc. of what Foy does to what Oliver used to offer.  That, or something like the teak Lagun table upgrades out there.

Maybe some sweet talk would get Foy to make a full upgrade package in Mahogany or Teak.  

Edited by Overland
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Overland said:

I'm pretty sure that Oliver was using a local carpenter for their wood accents.  Personally, I think the wood, finish, etc. looked a bit handyman quality.

Maybe some sweet talk would get Foy to make a full upgrade package in Mahogany or Teak.  

Agree with the handyman quality somewhat. I'd be first in line for some Stickley quality pieces if they became available.

• Like 1

@Overland, that wood accent below the pantry is exactly what I envisioned. Looks beautiful. We did a black walnut counter in our house and it just gets prettier over time, without any watermarks or dings that don’t add to the appeal. (Drop a pan? Looks even better!) I might just get the free top option and find someone to make me pieces for the pantry, under micro, dinette, and nightstand. Agree with @HMD1056 about the kitchen and bath counter.

Of course I need to actually send Phil my check first. My wife wants to see a Casita to make sure the Oliver size/quality/appeal differential warrants the extra (double) cost. 

• Moderators
26 minutes ago, Overland said:

I'm pretty sure that Oliver was using a local carpenter for their wood accents.  Personally, I prefer the wood, finish, etc. of what Foy does to what Oliver used to offer.  That, or something like the teak Lagun table upgrades out there.

Funny you should mention Foy's woodworking.  He showed off his wooden night stand, pantry, microwave and dinette tops at the non rally last week.  So I think the patterns are already created and he would probably put that together as a package.  He follows the Oliver Facebook page more than the forum, so reach out to him there and ask if would make a custom order for you.

Mossey

• Like 1

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

3 hours ago, Overland said:

Dakota Black was dropped when they switched to decor packages.  Personally, I'm glad they kept Mont Blanc over the Dakota fiber granite because that was my choice when decor picks were ala carte.  I can understand them needing to keep a brown option, although I don't care for the Alpine.  Had they not offered the Midnight Decor (Flannel or Grey Jay upholstery and Mont Blanc counters) I would have chosen the Storm Decor with Wild West Ultra Fabric and Quarry fiber granite.  With our chosen black overhead cabinet doors, the Dakota would be too much black.

2 hours ago, HMD1056 said:

Would also love to see a pretty navy or royal blue in the ultrafabric.  

I agree there needs to be one non-black/grey/brown/tan upholstery choice.  Navy would be a nice addition, but I think red ultra fabric would be awesome!  Of course, it is easy to have the cushions reupholstered.  

Airstream used to have a red ultraleather option - more of a paprika/chili pepper color.  I don't see it offered now.

Airstream red.jpg

• Like 1

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

• Moderators
37 minutes ago, Susan Huff said:

agree there needs to be one non-black/grey/brown/tan upholstery choice.  Navy would be a nice addition, but I think red ultra fabric would be awesome!  Of course, it is easy to have the cushions reupholstered.  

It's easy, but not inexpensive. Unless you can do it yourself.  Even then, zippers and fabric are not very inexpensive.  

I'm redoing my patio furniture this winter. At a bargain closeout site, my fabric was close to $200, ykk zippers more $, and good thread, more $. My labor, of course, is "free." Small 3 seater sofa, 2 seater love seat, 2 chairs. 14 cushions.

That's just sunbrella type, not brand fabric. Ultra would be double, at least, on even my favorite closeout sites.

I  personally think a blue and/or green fabric in the mix would be a nice change.

Edited by SeaDawg
  • Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

19 minutes ago, SeaDawg said:

It's easy, but not inexpensive. Unless you can do it yourself.  Even then, zippers and fabric are not very inexpensive.  

I'm redoing my patio furniture this winter. At a bargain closeout site, my fabric was close to $200, ykk zippers more $, and good thread, more $. My labor, of course, is "free." Small 3 seater sofa, 2 seater love seat, 2 chairs. 14 cushions.

That's just sunbrella type, not brand fabric. Ultra would be double, at least, on even my favorite closeout sites.

I  personally think a blue and/or green fabric in the mix would be a nice change.

When I checked, Ultra Leather was about $75 a yard.  I haven't estimated the yardage for the 4 dinette cushions, but at least 3 yards.  Not sure if that would be enough for piping the seams.  When I asked Oliver, they quoted me $500 for a custom order of dinette cushions in fabric.  Some of the cost is for the foam, which also is expensive.  The upgrade to Ultra Leather is $299, which seems like a fair price since $300 dollars would buy 4 yards of ultra fabric (at retail price). 

If you purchased the ultra leather and paid someone to do the work, I expect it would cost close to $500 to reupholster a set of Oliver dinette cushions.

I still would love to have red!

Ray and Susan Huff

2 hours ago, Susan Huff said:

Dakota Black was dropped when they switched to decor packages.  Personally, I'm glad they kept Mont Blanc over the Dakota fiber granite because that was my choice when decor picks were ala carte.  I can understand them needing to keep a brown option, although I don't care for the Alpine.  Had they not offered the Midnight Decor (Flannel or Grey Jay upholstery and Mont Blanc counters) I would have chosen the Storm Decor with Wild West Ultra Fabric and Quarry fiber granite.  With our chosen black overhead cabinet doors, the Dakota would be too much black.

I agree there needs to be one non-black/grey/brown/tan upholstery choice.  Navy would be a nice addition, but I think red ultra fabric would be awesome!  Of course, it is easy to have the cushions reupholstered.  

Airstream used to have a red ultraleather option - more of a paprika/chili pepper color.  I don't see it offered now.

Airstream red.jpg

That interior is called salsa that is an option on the airstream  Serenity 

• Like 1

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

Thanks for the kind words regarding my craft.  I consider an Oliver the best blank canvas to create a personal space of your dreams  I make countertop upgrades for the Oliver along with other organization options.  My countertops are relief cut so they sit down on the cabinet not on top of it, this is a classic look of fine cabinets.  I offer Mahogany, Mahogany & Maple Strips, Poplar stained grey or dark brown to match the Oliver flooring option and Walnut with or without live edge.  Below is a link to my PDF catalog and some sample pictures of my craft.  It I can craft something for you please reachout to me.  48ocean@gmail.com or call my cell 516-635-5656.

Foybles PDF Catalog 

Onward,

Foy Sperring

Hull # 227

Counter tops.jpg

Dinette & Pantry.jpg

Walnut Dinette.jpg

Walnut Dinette 2.jpg

Cutting Board.JPG

IMG_7365.JPG

Kitchen drawerj.jpg

IMG_2102.JPG

IMG_2842 2.JPG

Drawer Organizer Diaj.jpg

NS angle.jpg

Nightstand top & Organizer.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 6

Onward,
Foy and Mirna 

Roamy Mc Roadhouse
2017 Legacy Elite II, Twin Bed
Hull #227
2021 RAM 1500 Limited

• Moderators

Foy, your work is that of a true craftsman.

I love seeing your photos!

Sherry

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

4 hours ago, MarylandDave said:

@Overland, that wood accent below the pantry is exactly what I envisioned. Looks beautiful. We did a black walnut counter in our house and it just gets prettier over time, without any watermarks or dings that don’t add to the appeal. (Drop a pan? Looks even better!) I might just get the free top option and find someone to make me pieces for the pantry, under micro, dinette, and nightstand. Agree with @HMD1056 about the kitchen and bath counter.

Of course I need to actually send Phil my check first. My wife wants to see a Casita to make sure the Oliver size/quality/appeal differential warrants the extra (double) cost. 

So I went to the Casita factory recently.  A couple things I noticed.    The carpeted walls and ceiling was a deal breaker for me.   Once I saw in in person I knew I couldn’t get past it.   The cabinet doors were pressed wood and just had a cheap feel.  If you are handy can probably replace those easily.   I liked the exterior and the options of multiple floor plans.  They are lighter since a single hull.  The plumbing underneath is exposed.  

Good luck!

2021 Legacy Elite II Hull #807 - 2021 F150 w/ 3.5L EB and max tow package 

1 hour ago, Landrover said:

That interior is called salsa that is an option on the airstream  Serenity 

Salsa, yeah, that's it.  Love it, but not enough to make me buy an Airstream!

While researching, I noticed photos of used Airstreams where the ultra-leather seems to have stretched and has wrinkles.  We had our Leisure Travel Van four years and the upholstery didn't do that.  Perhaps it's because the cushions in the Airstream are much larger than our van, or the Oliver.

Not that it matters - we're getting an Oliver - but has anyone with the ultra fabric upgrade on the larger cushions on the rear benches noticed any wrinkling?

Ray and Susan Huff

• Moderators

I’m a long time woodworker.  What I’ve seen from Foy is top notch craftsmanship.  If I was ordering a new trailer and wanted wood accents I would not get any fiber granite option and have Foy craft a custom interior for me.  Mike

• Like 2

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS