12V DC plugs - what do you use them for?

What are some of uses that you have found for the 12V plugs? 

I have used it for charging AA and AAA batteries with a plug in charger and for a smaller computer (12v to 19V adaptor). 

I also have a 12V 130 WH battery pack that I can charge using 12V.

I tried a 12V electric blanket but it was underwhelming. 

Mike

• Moderators

small air compressor

Even though I had one installed near the 110 volt outlet on the exterior during my build, I could have used the ones on the interior and simply passed the cord to the exterior.  It makes for adjusting the tires on the Ollie much easier.

Bill

• Thanks 1

2017 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

We use the one on the outside, far more than the two on the inside. 

We used to use one on the inside for a small (700 watt?) Inverter for a laptop. We really only use it for usb converters now.

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

• Moderators

Imo, they're all weak on 12v. Better to get a good lithium battery vacuum,  like a Dyson, and charge when you have 110.

I have a 12vhair dryer. And a 12v blender. Neither really strong on 12v

Edited by SeaDawg
Add info
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

• Moderators
2 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

Imo, they're all weak on 12v. Better to get a good lithium battery vacuum,  like a Dyson, and charge when you have 110.

We’ve got the Dyson, works well and holds a charge.  Our appliances are 110 but when we’re without shore power we live a more simple life, using the inverter occasionally when we need power.  I use the 12V plug for the little air compressor and to charge my TPMS monitor when the battery is low and we’re not driving.  Mike

• Thanks 1

Mike and Carol | Fair Oaks Ranch, TX | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpg

31 minutes ago, Jairon said:

We're planning to use these: https://www.amazon.com/Caframo-Ultimate-Cabin-Small-Black/dp/B001449QRY/?th=1

We purchased the separate clamp to use over the suction cup.

Jairon,

We ordered two and found them to be too large and too noisy.

Andrew

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Andrew, Carianne and Buffy | San Diego, CA

2019 Legacy Elite II Hull #468 "California Burrito" | 2018 BMW x5 35d 

• Moderators

The early Olivers had them I think in the top lip of the lower fridge vent, facing down. Oliver stopped putting them in for some reason after their production break. They put 2 on mine because I asked, back when they’d do things like that.  We get a good amount of use out of them - mostly for lights and charging phones.  I bought a Green Mountain grill this summer which runs in 12v, so I could use the outlets for that if I take it on a trip.

I think it would be a very easy thing to add if you’re handy and not shy of drilling a hole or two in your trailer. Mine are located next to the outside 120v outlet, or right near the water pump on the inside, and are easily accessed.  But I think I like the old location better.

Edited by Overland

Snowball • 256 • 2018 Ford Raptor

• Moderators

The little white box located under the 110 volt outlet is where I had mine placed.  As Overland says - this was back when Oliver would do special requests while in production.  And, again as Overland says - this mod would not be very difficult to do yourself.

Bill

p.s.  sorry - not the best picture but look closely just in front of the water heater.

20171018_141808.jpg

Edited by topgun2

2017 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"