Changing a flat tire

John Welte

34 minutes ago, John Welte said:

What are you bringing in the chock department?

The chocks that come with my Rophor Camper Levelers.

https://www.amazon.com/Rophor-Leveler-Version-Leveling-Non-Slip/dp/B09NJSXRRB/ref=asc_df_B09NJSXRRB/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=563823049430&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=7131554787834866815&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9029558&hvtargid=pla-1637492471943&psc=1

I figure they can do double duty:  (1) part of the trailer leveling system when camped and (2)  chocking the wheels on the side opposite from a flat when changing a tire.

I also plan to follow wise counsel received on this Forum and leave the trailer hitched to the tow vehicle, set in Park with parking brake engaged, for added stability.

• Like 2

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

• Moderators
10 hours ago, Rivernerd said:

What are you bringing in the chock department?

I always have 4 chocks with me.  

While I use the Andersen leveling system if I need to level from side to side, I still have the extra set of chocks.  This is in case I'm on what appears to be "level" ground or if I need to unhitch and leave the Ollie somewhere without regards to using it for sleeping.  I feel a bit "safer" if all four wheels are chocked in some manner at all times while not hitched.  I even get nervous when dropping off my Ollie at the Oliver Service Department - it is on a concrete drive and very level and none of the Olivers there are chocked.  But, habit is a hard thing to deal with particularly when it comes to my baby.

While on the road I take two of the heavy rubber chocks (like THESE), my Andersens (like THESE), and a set of plastic chocks (like THESE).  I virtually always use the rubber chocks but due to how heavy they are and the lack of use on the plastic ones I don't feel the need to always carry another set of the rubber ones.  However, the rubber chocks will last much longer than the plastic ones.

Bill

p.s.  in a pinch - don't forget about what resources that might be found around you - scrap pieces of wood, rocks, etc. can all be used as chocks

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

16 minutes ago, topgun2 said:

I always have 4 chocks with me.  

While I use the Andersen leveling system if I need to level from side to side, I still have the extra set of chocks.  This is in case I'm on what appears to be "level" ground or if I need to unhitch and leave the Ollie somewhere without regards to using it for sleeping.  I feel a bit "safer" if all four wheels are chocked in some manner at all times while not hitched.  I even get nervous when dropping off my Ollie at the Oliver Service Department - it is on a concrete drive and very level and none of the Olivers there are chocked.  But, habit is a hard thing to deal with particularly when it comes to my baby.

While on the road I take two of the heavy rubber chocks (like THESE), my Andersens (like THESE), and a set of plastic chocks (like THESE).  I virtually always use the rubber chocks but due to how heavy they are and the lack of use on the plastic ones I don't feel the need to always carry another set of the rubber ones.  However, the rubber chocks will last much longer than the plastic ones.

Bill

p.s.  in a pinch - don't forget about what resources that might be found around you - scrap pieces of wood, rocks, etc. can all be used as chocks

"I always have 4 chocks with me."

Good morning Bill, thanks for the message.  I do have the two heavy rubber ones, but may pick up two more from Harbor Freight, as they're only $8 each.  I have the Camco levelers which have a plastic chock for each leveler, but I like the rubber ones for peace of mind.  I used four pieces of split logs for 20 years with my tent trailer!  

I am nearing the end of buying the must haves which is good because we're 27 days from pick up.  TPMS was the first purchase.  What do you use at the power pole?  I know the trailer has a surge protector, but some people use a meter to check the outlet while others use a surge protector at the pole that also checks for proper wiring and current.  TIA.

John

• Like 1

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

25 minutes ago, John Welte said:

I know the trailer has a surge protector, but some people use a meter to check the outlet while others use a surge protector at the pole that also checks for proper wiring and current.  TIA.

For what it's worth, I plan to take an electrical multitester with which to check power at the pole, and have purchased an external surge protector that detects miswiring, low voltage, etc. 

There are differing views among Oliver owners regarding external surge protectors.  See, for example, this thread:

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

• Moderators

Certainly noting wrong with those split logs and the rubber chocks at HF do go on sale several times a year for under $6.00.

A number of owners claim to always check the power pedestal prior to plugging in anything with at least one of THESE outlet testers or a multi-meter.  But, I must confess, I do not.  Perhaps this is being lazy but I believe that the Oliver surge/circuit protector will take care of me and the electronics in the Oliver.   Also it is because I rarely am at a place where there are pedestals - I boondock most of the time.

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

I carry two hydraulic jack stands with me. 

They serve two purposes; 1) to jack the trailer for wheel service and 2) to place under the front corners of my trailer when camping to eliminate wobble or rocking when walking inside the trailer.

Have found them to be extremely useful. Wouldn't leave home without them.

Here's a link: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pwb-620471?seid=srese1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIitDm9vrh-gIVwuDICh0wdAmXEAQYAiABEgI0F_D_BwE 

• Like 4

2018 Elite II, Hull #414 (the very last 2018 produced).  Trailer name "2 HOBOS" .   2018 F250 4X4 Crew Cab, 6.7L diesel

• Moderators
On 10/11/2022 at 10:24 AM, topgun2 said:

Certainly noting wrong with those split logs and the rubber chocks at HF do go on sale several times a year for under $6.00.

A number of owners claim to always check the power pedestal prior to plugging in anything with at least one of THESE outlet testers or a multi-meter.  But, I must confess, I do not.  Perhaps this is being lazy but I believe that the Oliver surge/circuit protector will take care of me and the electronics in the Oliver.   Also it is because I rarely am at a place where there are pedestals - I boondock most of the time.

Bill

In older trailers,  we don't have that facility.  Great that the newer trailers do. I'm happy for you. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators
11 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

In older trailers,  we don't have that facility.

You could always get Paul to install one for you. 😁

I like spending your money.

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Second time TPMS warned us of an impending flat.

Glad we had two axles allowing us to limp off interstate. 

It was 100° in the shade. 

Good reason right there to get port side awning.

Used stablizer to lift Ollie then added scissor jack.

Good Samaritan taught us trick to get [dang heavy] tire back on. (Sit on ground, cradle tire between thighs & lift. Hahaha- I'm envisioning myself splayed out on egg frying hot asphalt, trapped underneath tire.)

Chris

20220729_114218.thumb.jpg.bc695f4ff9f02e19f4094ea20c843a52.jpg

• Like 4
Chris & Duke Chadwell
🐾Maddie & Baxter🐾
Elite II Hull 292
2022 F-250 Lariat 7.3 Godzilla 4x4 Lakeland,FL

2 hours ago, ShallowGal said:

Second time TPMS warned us of an impending flat.

Glad we had two axles allowing us to limp off interstate. 

It was 100° in the shade. 

Good reason right there to get port side awning.

Used stablizer to lift Ollie then added scissor jack.

Good Samaritan taught us trick to get [dang heavy] tire back on. (Sit on ground, cradle tire between thighs & lift. Hahaha- I'm envisioning myself splayed out on egg frying hot asphalt, trapped underneath tire.)

Chris

20220729_114218.thumb.jpg.bc695f4ff9f02e19f4094ea20c843a52.jpg

"Good reason right there to get port side awning."

We did order the street side awning for a variety of reasons.  Picking up in three weeks.  Hull number 1290 we're told.

John

• Like 4

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

On 10/18/2022 at 5:52 AM, topgun2 said:

Did you pick up a nail in it?

Bad valve stem. We had all valve stems replaced soon after, to be safe. (40k miles on tires. Not complaining one bit.)

• Like 1
Chris & Duke Chadwell
🐾Maddie & Baxter🐾
Elite II Hull 292
2022 F-250 Lariat 7.3 Godzilla 4x4 Lakeland,FL

• Moderators
7 hours ago, ShallowGal said:

Bad valve stem.

Bummer!

I've never had a valve stem problem on any RV or vehicle I've owner.  Glad you replaced them all - it could have been a bad batch.

Bill

2 hours ago, bhncb said:

Seems like the emergency valve version of these would have been ideal in this situation. I haven't tried them but carrying a couple might be good insurance.

Thanks for posting. Those would be great for a trailer or ATV with regular stems, but most late model vehicles have TPMS so they are not an option. If the price was significantly lower I would buy some, but in all my years I have never experienced a stem failure on any vehicle. If I bought them for”Mouse”, for sure I would bust one on the next trip. I don’t plan to push my luck. 😬

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

We just came home from a trip.   And we had a flat tire.   It was in one of those remote places where you really don't want to have problems.    I had just stopped at a service station and adjusted the PSI in the tires the day before and had a scare when one of the tires wouldn't stop letting air escape.  Ultimately I was able to get all four tires properly inflated and we went on our way... thinking all was well.  One of the four then went flat over night.   I believe the cause was the "balance beads" used by Lionshead (a supplier to Oliver).

I had the Andersen "rapid jack" which is just an oversized version of the camper leveler ramps...and with just a little assist from the Ollie's stabilizers, I was easily able to jack it up high enough to put on the spare and get into a town where the original tire was repaired... with a new valve stem.   

Since that time, I came home to discover that we (those effected by the balance beads) had received replacement valve stems that are resistant to interference from the balance  beads... from Oliver.  (Thank you Oliver!)

I was on some very soft ground and with the Andersen rapid jack... I wasn't able to get the tire quite high enough for it to turn freely... but just a little assist from the Ollies stabilizer and she was clear.  This also made it very convenient to tighten and torque the lug nuts... before putting it all down on the ground again.

unnamed-1.jpg

unnamed-2.jpg

• Thanks 2
  • Like 4

2022 Elite II, Hull #1097  Elli Rose 🌹 and she has the solar panels with the 390Ah lithium batteries.  Our tow vehicle is a 2019 Ford Lariat F-150 4wd, 3.5L Eco-boost, 3.55 rear end, with the Max tow package.  Elli Rose also has the street side awning and several walnut and cherry mods on the inside.

TravelMap.png.b89ef2d7bc27b1ea3b58f831ca5bd799.png

image.png.cb9a8098514ec803c03d554e444c2fae.pngAre you hubs ventilated?  I've not seen this type before.  Thanks, GJ

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

• Moderators

I don't believe that those hubs are actually "ventilated".  Its just the normal ridges around the outside that make it appear so in this picture.

Bill

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, topgun2 said:

I don't believe that those hubs are actually "ventilated".  Its just the normal ridges around the outside that make it appear so in this picture.

Bill

That's my guess too.

• Like 1

spacer.png

1 hour ago, topgun2 said:

Bill

I thought GJ was referring to those pockets between the studs. Those look to provide some release or isolation for the nevrlube hub.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bhncb said:

thought GJ was referring to those pockets between the studs.

You are correct.  That was what I was trying to ask.

• Thanks 1

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

Actually I have no idea.   I didn’t notice those either until I posted the pictures.   At the time… I was just thrilled to get my old tire off and the spare on… because this is where we were in Nova Scotia  when it went flat.  And it was cold and raining!

616A1244-BAAD-4F2E-9156-ED02A0CB316D.jpeg

• Like 2

2022 Elite II, Hull #1097  Elli Rose 🌹 and she has the solar panels with the 390Ah lithium batteries.  Our tow vehicle is a 2019 Ford Lariat F-150 4wd, 3.5L Eco-boost, 3.55 rear end, with the Max tow package.  Elli Rose also has the street side awning and several walnut and cherry mods on the inside.

TravelMap.png.b89ef2d7bc27b1ea3b58f831ca5bd799.png

• Moderator+
8 hours ago, Dave and Kimberly said:

…because this is where we were in Nova Scotia  when it went flat.  And it was cold and raining!

Well, any other place and conditions would not have made for as interesting a story and memory for you guys. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg