Just how Weather-proof is an Oly? Anyone else stuck in the major west coast storm?

taylor.coyote

can't get home due to flooding, land sides and downed trees. Camping in Pacifica, Ca and catching the brunt of the storm off the ocean..  Winds 20, gusting to 35 mph and raining big time.. trailer doing some rock and rolling,  high and dry so far but they say the worst is yet to come.  Could be here a few days before we can navigate home on highway 101 to Arcata, Ca.    

• Wow 6

2016 Legacy Elite II, Twin Beds, Hull #124

Tow Vehicle: 2019 Ford F250 4x4  / Short Bed / Crew Cab / 6.7 Diesel

Fieldbrook, Ca

• Moderators

You should be okay.  We just endured a night of wind gusts at 50 mph with rain and sleet a few days ago in New Mexico.  The trailer was rocking but we were warm and cozy.  No leaks.  Covered in snow in the morning and still no leaks as it melted.  Mike

• Thanks 2
  • Like 5

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators
30 minutes ago, Mike and Carol said:

You should be okay.  We just endured a night of wind gusts at 50 mph with rain and sleet a few days ago in New Mexico.  The trailer was rocking but we were warm and cozy.  No leaks.  Covered in snow in the morning and still no leaks as it melted.  Mike

Were you attached to the trailer, or no?

A big tv, attached, especially to windward,  can make a difference. 

• Thanks 2
  • Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

not attached, can not get level when attached.   riding the storm fine so far..  if it gets crazy, i'll consider your advice to hooking up..

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Fieldbrook, Ca

Do you have shore power? That would be good, because intense wind blasts can screw up propane appliances. 

I used to rush outside with my sister to sit in the car to listen to a big storm passing over. Of course I was six and she was nine..,.,.

Stay safe.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 2
  • Like 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

yes, we have shore power..  i still have the propane open so we can cook and so on.  are you recommending to turn off the propane value during the storm?  Yea, I like a good storm as well. Going to have cabin fever by the time this one passes. It's forecast to be a major event until tomorrow afternoon.  then we will see how long before they can clear 101 for travel..  hope to get lucky, we have been on the road for 7 weeks and would like to get home.

• Like 3

Fieldbrook, Ca

You don't need to shut off the main valves unless you expect to be blown into the surf. Just don't use the fridge, WH or furnace on gas, unless you have to, because the flame could blow out and/ or the draft could go in the wrong direction. All the appliances rely on natural convection (chimney effect) for their proper operation.In other words, normal winds.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 2
  • Like 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

thank you for the advice. I have the hot water on gas.. too stormy to go outside and flip the switch to electric . will shut off till morning. everything else is running on shore power...  wind is increasing. rock and roll here

• Like 2

Fieldbrook, Ca

2 hours ago, taylor.coyote said:

not attached, can not get level when attached. 

Recommend you attach your Ollie's safety cables to your tow vehicle.  Nothing like having a 6,000 pound anchor.

But not at the risk of life.

GJ

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

We endured 35-45 mph winds with a lot of hard rain and wind gusts in our Ollie camping up in Floyd County in SW Virginia a few years ago. It was a real doozy of a storm that lasted well into the next day at noon. Other than a little periodic rocking from high wind gusts our Ollie handled the conditions well and we had no issues with water intrusion.
Our Ollie was not coupled to our TV at the time of this storm. It truly was the closest thing to being in an automatic brushless car wash we had ever experienced.

We hope all goes well and you stay safe!

-Patriot 🇺🇸

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3
  • Wow 1

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

Good luck, and God bless you and family.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

In emergency situtations, having options and being ready for them is always a good thing.  If your 2019 F-250 is 4WD, it could be a huge asset should you HAVE to move.  Should the winds and flying debris allow you to safety get hitched up, I recommend you do so.  You may be a bit nose high for the night, but if you have to bug out, you could do so quicky.  Again, only if the storm calms and you could do so.  Only you can make that call.  Risk/Reward.

God bless you and family.

GJ

PS:  I've been in our OE2 in 50+winds.  Best to be facing them head on IMHO.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

• Moderator+

We were once stuck in Winslow, AZ with a major sand storm headed directly for us with predicted wind speeds around 40-50mph. A seasoned truck driver walked over to where we were parked and advised us to put the truck/trailer combo pointed into the wind with which ever end that was least important facing the oncoming wind. He claimed he'd seen the sand storms take all the paint off vehicles that were not oriented correctly into the wind. We took his advice and did not suffer any damage.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 5

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• Moderators
11 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

Were you attached to the trailer, or no?

A big tv, attached, especially to windward,  can make a difference. 

Yes, we were attached!  Wind was hitting us broadside on the street side.  We endured higher winds (60/70mph gusts) a few years ago while not attached, camping in southern Arizona.  In that case the wind was in the same direction that the trailer was pointed hitting us in the back.  We didn’t get much sleep that night.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

All really good advice, especially Patriot funny comment of being in a brushless carwash.  Got through the night with all ok.  Mike and Carol's event with 60/70 mph gusts must have been a wild ride.  I was reading flat sided trailers can be blown over with 55mph wind and more aerodynamic trailers have been know to blow over with 70mph winds broadside. Winds have yet to get too crazy but I'm liking nose to the wind hooked up for the rest of this storm.  

• Like 7

Fieldbrook, Ca

12 minutes ago, taylor.coyote said:

All really good advice, especially Patriot funny comment of being in a brushless carwash.  Got through the night with all ok.  Mike and Carol's event with 60/70 mph gusts must have been a wild ride.  I was reading flat sided trailers can be blown over with 55mph wind and more aerodynamic trailers have been know to blow over with 70mph winds broadside. Winds have yet to get too crazy but I'm liking nose to the wind hooked up for the rest of this storm.  

Glad to hear all is going well so far. And nice TV by the way! 👍🏻

Patriot 🇺🇸

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

can anyone share experiences driving in windy conditions. How much wind makes it unsafe to tow? I'm towing with an f250 that should help bad conditions. Please share your thoughts

Fieldbrook, Ca

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, taylor.coyote said:

can anyone share experiences driving in windy conditions. How much wind makes it unsafe to tow? I'm towing with an f250 that should help bad conditions. Please share your thoughts

We routinely tow in windy weather across west Texas on I-10.  I slow down and pay attention!  We’ve never had to pull over, but I would if I felt things were unstable.  I think it’s the unexpected gusts that get big rigs on their sides.

• Like 3

As to water penetration, we have recently weathered some heavy rain in the Carolinas with surprisingly (to me) good results. There is a lot of condensation in the trailer, but I am finding that is more due to temperature differentials and humidity than water penetration, and we have so far managed to deal with it by airing out the trailer when weather permits.

One other thought (gleaned from running cattle in the Sierra Nevada): stay away from the tall Valley Oaks if you can. They shed a lot of wood, more than other oaks, with heavy wind and rain, and their branches can be quite large and heavy.

There is some good advice in this thread about dealing with high winds. Thanks, all.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 6

TV:  2008 F-350 Crew Cab, 6.4L diesel, 4WD, custom flatbed with storage boxes, Line-X underbody coating      OLLIE:  2022 OE1 Hull 885, Lithium batteries (260AH), 230W solar panels, 2000W Pro inverter, Dometic AC w/Easy Start, Truma Tankless Comfort water heater

ALAZARCACOGAILKSKYMONVNMNCOKSCTNTXUTsm.j

As Mike stated "slow down and pay attention!" for sure. 

When I-70 towing across Wyoming in the summer, we just about always encounter thunder boomers.  When I see the first one, I turn on my rear view camera to be better aware of any approaching high speed idiots coming up from behind. 

The thunder boomers there tend to set up on alternating sides of the interstate about every ten miles.  When their broadside gust fronts hit us, I have found it much less of a "white knuckle" event by also "going slower, paying attention, and practicing active driving.

image.png.e261b3bf3e2546c44ed12a0ba921b346.png

Broadside, those gust fronts can easily move our loaded F-150 and Ollie sideways a few feet or more.  In traffic you have no choice but to fight it and to stay in your lane.   This is when having a TV rated for 1/3 more than being towed, a properly loaded Oliver Trailer, and our Anderson combine to provide peace of mind.  

That said, when the road is disserted and if you are anticipating the arrival of the next cumulonimbus gust front based upon which side of the road it is on.  Once I clear an encounter, I will move into the lane towards where I can see the next thunderboomer developing.  When you have a 95% probability of being able to anticipate a gust front's direction, you can relax just a bit.  When it hits, I know the traffic situation around us, and if clear, I can safely act to somewhat depower the gust front by drifting with it into the vacant down wind adjacent lane.  This is what I meant by active driving when it is safe to do so. 

GJ

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, Geronimo John said:

That said, when the road is disserted and if you are anticipating the arrival of the next cumulonimbus gust front based upon which side of the road it is on.  Once I clear an encounter, I will move into the lane towards where I can see the next thunderboomer developing.  When you have a 95% probability of being able to anticipate a gust front's direction, you can relax just a bit.  When it hits, I know the traffic situation around us, and if clear, I can safely act to somewhat depower the gust front by drifting with it into the vacant down wind adjacent lane.  This is what I meant by active driving when it is safe to do so. 

Sounds like advice from and old motorcycle rider to me!

And in the right circumstance this advice certainly applies here.

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

all really great stuff.  thanks to everyone. we got a break in the weather mid-morning and decided to pack up and head for home. the wind was our biggest concern. Crossing the Golden Gate Bridge was reasonable.  This made us feel a lot better about our decision to travel.  Lots of small slides, standing water and raging rivers but we have just arrived at home.... and lots of down trees and the power is out here. One more night in the trailer will more comfortable than our home...  glad to be home after 7 weeks.  thanks all 

• Like 7
  • Care 2

Fieldbrook, Ca

• Moderator+
2 minutes ago, taylor.coyote said:

all really great stuff.  thanks to everyone. we got a break in the weather mid-morning and decided to pack up and head for home. the wind was our biggest concern. Crossing the Golden Gate Bridge was reasonable.  This made us feel a lot better about our decision to travel.  Lots of small slides, standing water and raging rivers but we have just arrived at home.... and lots of down trees and the power is out here. One more night in the trailer will more comfortable than our home...  glad to be home after 7 weeks.  thanks all 

Glad to hear you're home in one piece. Hopefully the power will be restored soon, but you still have a nice trailer to hole up inside of.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg