Opening Up Storage Space Under Bath Sink...

MAX Burner

@Geronimo John previously requested in one of our recent thread on "Relocating Bath Water Pump Switch and LED", for us to post a new thread discussing options for opening up storage under the bath/shower (HEAD) sink.  In that earlier thread, G-John referred to an insulation modification engineered by @John E Davies which is actually an element of this suggested mod as well.  D and I wish to thank both G-John and JD for their combined encouragement for this and other OTT modifications we've logged to date.

FULL DISCLOSURE: We haven't completed the mod, but members should get a good idea of the direction its going - and we will continue to update progress.

1. Background:  We mentioned in the WP Switch/LED thread, the PO installed a marine-grade deck hatch on the front side of the sink cabinet after removing the "cubby shelf" which housed the PW Switch/LED package. The deck hatch is available on Amazon:

872922719_Screenshot2023-06-05at17_30_07.thumb.png.0232049b65a8d9ff7c7a90b976d45485.png

As shown above, the hatch is configured with 2 "dogs" that adequately seal the compartment within as we have yet to discover water intrusion after showering - believe me, we've checked!  Higher quality deck hatches are available at a higher price point than this one, for sure.  On the plus side, the rubber seal used in our hatch cover is totally replaceable.  In fact, some are available that more closely match the latch hardware OTT uses for the upper storage cabinets in the main area.  Here's how ours is configured:

IMG_7447.thumb.jpeg.53a114ed7b4c166d9658b2f9b716b264.jpeg

2. New storage area:  When relocating the WP Switch, we cleaned up the wire bundles and PEX lines in the void below the sink.  JD noted in his "How To" thread about how to better insulate this void - especially since PEX lines are located there.  We will do the same insulation upgrade in Phase-2 later this summer.  D is calling this a "game-changer" for her because it opened up the space below the forward dinette seat for other items - now that the void serves as storage for dry paper goods previously under the seat, as shown below:

IMG_7445.thumb.jpeg.9ed9ab872824e36adbd340f1792a894c.jpegIMG_7446.thumb.jpeg.dc2cb0a5e063c20c1bc660b30d9b4721.jpeg

3. Path forward:  We're planning to add shelving in this compartment for better organization after the insulation upgrade.  I'm actually hearing rumblings from D of converting the forward seat storage area into a mini wine cellar - more on that in another update...

So as @Patriot might say, "Mod on..."

Cheers!  

• Thanks 1
  • Like 10
  • Love 1
  • Wow 2

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Oscar & Magnus (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit/2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 12VDC Starlink kit, 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo GX, SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller, & DC-DC Charger; HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

2 minutes ago, MAX Burner said:

@Geronimo John previously requested in one of our recent thread on "Relocating Bath Water Pump Switch and LED", for us to post a new thread discussing options for opening up storage under the bath/shower (HEAD) sink.  In that earlier thread, G-John referred to an insulation modification engineered by @John E Davies which is actually an element of this suggested mod as well.  D and I wish to thank both G-John and JD for their combined encouragement for this and other OTT modifications we've logged to date.

FULL DISCLOSURE: We haven't completed the mod, but members should get a good idea of the direction its going - and we will continue to update progress.

1. Background:  We mentioned in the WP Switch/LED thread, the PO installed a marine-grade deck hatch on the front side of the sink cabinet after removing the "cubby shelf" which housed the PW Switch/LED package. The deck hatch is available on Amazon:

872922719_Screenshot2023-06-05at17_30_07.thumb.png.0232049b65a8d9ff7c7a90b976d45485.png

As shown above, the hatch is configured with 2 "dogs" that adequately seal the compartment within as we have yet to discover water intrusion after showering - believe me, we've checked!  Higher quality deck hatches are available at a higher price point than this one, for sure.  On the plus side, the rubber seal used in our hatch cover is totally replaceable.  In fact, some are available that more closely match the latch hardware OTT uses for the upper storage cabinets in the main area.  Here's how ours is configured:

IMG_7447.thumb.jpeg.53a114ed7b4c166d9658b2f9b716b264.jpeg

2. New storage area:  When relocating the WP Switch, we cleaned up the wire bundles and PEX lines in the void below the sink.  JD noted in his "How To" thread about how to better insulate this void - especially since PEX lines are located there.  We will do the same insulation upgrade in Phase-2 later this summer.  D is calling this a "game-changer" for her because it opened up the space below the forward dinette seat for other items now that the void serves as storage for dry paper goods previously under the seat, as shown below:

IMG_7445.thumb.jpeg.9ed9ab872824e36adbd340f1792a894c.jpegIMG_7446.thumb.jpeg.dc2cb0a5e063c20c1bc660b30d9b4721.jpeg

3. Path forward:  We're planning to add shelving in this compartment for better organization after the insulation upgrade.  I'm actually hearing rumblings from D of converting the forward seat storage area into a mini wine cellar - more on that in another update...

So as @Patriot might say, "Mod on..."

Cheers!  

Full on prepper mode taking it to another level Max I like it!!
A great use of space. Please keep us posted on the wine cellar! 

Mod On Brother!! 

Patriot🇺🇸

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor 

IMG_2879.jpeg

That looks great! Nice job, I would like to get that done also! 
Kirk

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Kirk and Carrie Peterson

Twin Falls, Idaho

2018 Ram 3500, with overland conversion: Rooftop tent, water, stove, Battle Born batteries, lockers, onboard air, raised air intake, Warn winch. 

2023 Elite 2, twin beds, delivered December 5, 2022 Truma package, lithium platinum package.
Hull #1305

• Moderators

For eight years now I've been waiting for something to go wrong in that vanity area so that I'd have an excuse to go in there.  

I'll keep waiting - for now.  But, more insulation and more storage and a different shower setup are very enticing.

Certainly a nice way to make lemonade out of lemons!

Bill  

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

On 6/5/2023 at 5:21 PM, MAX Burner said:

Here's how ours is configured:

kind of off topic:  in the picture of how yours looks, I see a basket on the wall.  I bought those baskets and they would.  not.  stick.  no matter what I did.  Did you do anything different from what was supplied by the vendor?

2018 LE2 #333  "the Otter"

2015 Silverado 2500HD

3 hours ago, Liana said:

kind of off topic:  in the picture of how yours looks, I see a basket on the wall.  I bought those baskets and they would.  not.  stick.  no matter what I did.  Did you do anything different from what was supplied by the vendor?

The ones we bought had a protective coating that had to be removed before mounting on the wall.  Hope this helps...   😎

• Like 1

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Oscar & Magnus (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit/2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 12VDC Starlink kit, 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo GX, SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller, & DC-DC Charger; HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

• Moderators

I have several suction cup baskets on our bath wall that are 15 years old. How are yours mounted?

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

30 minutes ago, MAX Burner said:

Hope this helps...

Honestly, I am pretty sure I threw out the suction cups and the baskets are now just sitting on the floor.  Less than ideal, but maybe better than them falling off the wall spewing their contents everywhere.  I do think I took the film off the suckers...

• Like 3

2018 LE2 #333  "the Otter"

2015 Silverado 2500HD

• Moderators

Suction cups change capacity at altitude, and high temps, in our experience

No problem 0 to 3500 elevation.

We have a number of fixtures with the "red ring. " works well .

You can always try command strips.

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.