Using an Audi Q7 as tow vehicle - report

Sully

We picked up our Elite II 2 1/2 weeks ago and have about 2500 miles towing it so far with our Q7.  We have air shocks so we aren’t using any load levelers (which Audi says not to use).  I’m very pleased with towing our Oliver behind the Q7.  We have averaged 14 miles per gallon and it has completely adequate power and braking capabilities.  We have been on a wide variety of roads from TN to Newfoundland with some gusty wind conditions.  I have never felt like I needed more car at anytime.  I do plan on getting some mud flaps for the rear wheels on the Q7, hopefully that will keep the trailer a little cleaner.  Hopefully this will help a little if considering using a Q7 to pull your trailer.

• Like 6

David & Kris, Audi Q7 - Elite II, Hull # 1391

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new Oliver!  Post up photos of your rig when you have a moment. There was a former Oliver owner who also towed with an Audi. He seemed happy with it.

Patriot🇺🇸

• Like 1

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor 

IMG_2879.jpeg

• Moderators

Welcome to the forum!  Glad to hear your Q7 is doing the job.  We’ve owned a bunch of Audi’s since our first new one in 1976!  Keep us updated on your travels.  Mike

• Like 2

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators

Sully - 

Congrats on becoming a full fledged member of the Oliver Family.

As you now know - one of the "problems" with actually owning an Oliver Travel Trailer is that when you tell people about its handling characteristics they simply think that just because you own one, you believe that it is the best thing out there.    Let me know if you find a way to convince non-owners!

Please be safe out there and enjoy the heck out of your new baby.

Bill

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Welcome to the Forums and to the OTT Family!  You'll not be surprised how much support you'll receive when searching for answers to questions you'll have with your new OTT on this platform - not to mention from OTT Service Team in TN.  Our good friends towed a 23-foot Airstream Flying Cloud for a couple years with their new A-Q7 V6 3.0L; their only comment (that I can remember, that is) was that they had to keep a "weather-eye" out on the rear tires.  Under the load from the hitch weight, the suspension seemed to add excessive camber to the rears and wore out the inside tread faster than expected.  Enjoy your adventure to the NE and Nova Scotia!!!  Keep us tuned-in to your Oliver experience...

Cheers!

• Like 1

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo S GX, Other Victron Stuff: SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller,  DC-DC Charger, 12VDC Starlink kit, and Alcan 5-pack Leaf Springs
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

Sully, what is the tongue weight of your trailer, loaded for towing? Do you travel with full water tank?

Is your Audi a diesel? What year?  What is the non-towing mpgs?

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a22498617/2017-audi-q7-long-term-road-test-wrap-up-review/

Please add trailer and vehicle info to your signature. Thanks.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

I have not calculated the actual tongue weight but estimate it between 600 - 700.  We sometimes travel with the fresh water tank full depending on the circumstances.  We have a 2019 Q7 with the large gas engine which gets around 26 mpg.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

David & Kris, Audi Q7 - Elite II, Hull # 1391

1 hour ago, Sully said:

I have not calculated the actual tongue weight but estimate it between 600 - 700.  

I'd be surprised if it was that high. Ours runs around 500-550, fully loaded with water. Maybe if you had wet cell or AGM batteries?

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

• Moderator+

I'm curious about your cargo carrying capacity. Your 2019 Q7 has a maximum cargo carrying capacity of 1367 pounds. Out of that must come the weight of everything that was not installed at the factory.

Tongue Weight 600-700 pounds and I wouldn't be surprised at that weight.

Two averaged size adults (statistically) 340 pounds.

That only leaves you around 350 pounds for all your other stuff. Pets, camping gear, chairs, tables, chocks, blocks, tools, outside grill, clam, ground rug, box of tissues, phone chargers and on and on... My toolbox alone would eat almost all that weight.

Were it me, I'd get a more capable tow vehicle. The towing capacity is about the least useful statistic you can know about your vehicle. You are living on the edge.

• Like 4

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• Moderators

@DavidS towed his 2016 with a 2017 q7 for a number of years.

He's sold his trailer, but checks in occasionally. He was from somewhere out west...Utah, I think.  You could try pm'ing him.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.