Spare tire size 215 70 16 vs trailer tire size 225 75 16 / will a full size tire fit in fiberglass cover?

I have hull number 124 produced in 2016. The spare tire size is 215 70 16. Apparently this tire size only comes as a 4 ply with a max weight limit of 750 lbs. This tire is pretty much is maxed out with a loaded LE II.  The question: Will a full sized 225 75 16 trailer tire fit inside the fiberglass spare tire cover?

2016 Legacy Elite II, Twin Beds, Hull #124

Tow Vehicle: 2019 Ford F250 4x4  / Short Bed / Crew Cab / 6.7 Diesel

Fieldbrook, Ca

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Travel Trailers for Sale
View Inventory
6 minutes ago, taylor.coyote said:

I have hull number 124 produced in 2016. The spare tire size is 215 70 16. Apparently this tire size only comes as a 4 ply with a max weight limit of 750 lbs. This tire is pretty much is maxed out with a loaded LE II.  The question: Will a full sized 225 75 16 trailer tire fit inside the fiberglass spare tire cover?

I have a 2020 LE2 and my spare is a 225 75 R16. It is the same tire as my other four.

• Thanks 1

image.jpeg.09f40a09983d95bd862eb789e3430148.jpeg

2019 Ram 1500 5.7L V8, 3.92 axle ratio - 2020 LEll - Hull676

• Moderators

Perhaps @ScubaRx will chime in. He knows the early elite 2's better than most. 

Or, send Oliver service a message. 

Til then, a larger tire may fit, if you have the original smaller spare tire cover, partially deflated, but, who wants to travel with a deflated spare? 

A smaller tire will, at least, get you to a repair facility. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

I have the smaller spare too and my understanding is that a regular size spare will not fit.  I don’t know when they started making the fiberglass cover big enough for the regular size spare.  Some have removed the cover to fit a matching spare (John Davies did and has a thread on what he did).  Mike

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Mike and Carol said:

I have the smaller spare too and my understanding is that a regular size spare will not fit.

Originally, the LEII's came with all 5 wheels and tires in the 15 inch size.  But when 15 inch tires started becoming a bit hard to come by, Oliver decided to start putting 4 16 inch tires on but continued having the 15 inch size as a spare due to the costs involved with changing the molds so as to accommodate the larger 16 inch tire size.  There is nothing "wrong" with the 15 inch spare in that it is really a "spare" tire and the Ollie may be run with this spare in use until either a new 16 inch is obtained or the original 16 inch tire is repaired.

Like Mike, I do not remember when the molds were changed to the 16 inch size (2018 ?), but, for those trailers that have the 15 inch spare it is certain that a 16 inch tire will not fit - heck, the 15 inch barely fits. Since I still have my original spare tire, I've not researched what is available.  However, it would seem that now with 16 inch tires becoming less popular the tire manufacturers would produce a suitable tire in the 15 inch size.

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Like 5

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Near Asheville, NC

Thanks for sharing what you know on this subject. In my case, my spare that came from the factory is a 16" tire but  more narrow and slightly lower profile ratio. As I stated before, my tire guy say the 215 70 16 size tire is not really running On an LEII.  A few companies make a C rated tire (max load rating of 1,875 LBS). 

I will follow up on your recommendation regarding  John Davies mounting a full size tire without the tire cover. This will require a way to mouth the license plate and the plate light. 

• Like 3

Fieldbrook, Ca

• Moderator+

I was asked about this issue and gave this answer.

Unfortunately, a full size tire will NOT fit under the older tire covers. The recess in the back that receives the tire has been redone to be larger in the newer trailers. The tire cover has also been reworked to fit around a standard size tire. Both of these modifications required a major re-working of the plugs and molds.

John Davies was not satisfied carrying a small tire as a spare and simply removed the tire cover and replaced the tire with a standard size leaving it uncovered. Not the most pleasing esthetic, but probably the simplest solution for an owner.

Now, if you don't mind doing some reasonably extensive fiberglass work......

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

Thanks for the help.  Ollie got new boots. Put on new Cooper HT3's and still have a substandard spare.  Don't want to mount License plate and plate light on the back of the trailer to mount an uncovered full size tire.  

• Like 4

Fieldbrook, Ca

16 hours ago, ScubaRx said:

John Davies was not satisfied carrying a small tire as a spare and simply removed the tire cover and replaced the tire with a standard size leaving it uncovered.

I'm thinking that @John E Davies actually upgraded all of his tires to a larger/taller size and wanted the same size for his spare.  The size of that tire couldn't fit inside the tire cover - so he wrapped up the tire cover and stored it in his shop, but I could be mistaken - I've slept since I read that thread.  HA!

Edited by MAX Burner
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca"
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

ALAZARCOIDLAMSMTNMOKTNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Our 2015 LE2 # 75 original spare tire is a 215/60R/16. It has a maximum weight capacity of 1521 pounds.

After purchasing Ollie used in 2016, removed the spare tire cover finding the smaller tire size. Started asking about it and learned what Steve mentioned earlier in this thread.

We keep Ollie’s ready to camp weight slightly lower than 5000 pounds making a 1521 pound load capacity tire OK for emergency use. Out of curiosity will research to see if this tire size comes in a higher  capacity.

Edit:

Found one BF Goodrich All Terrain 215/70R/16 with a 100 load index and C1 load range at Discount Tire. 100 load index is 1764 pounds and C1 load range is 6 ply rating. Several 215/70R/16 tires have a 100 load index of 1764 pounds. I would still look closely at the specs to see be sure a new tire is not larger than the existing tire to be sure it fits in the spare tire storage housing.

https://www.discounttire.com/learn/load-range-load-index

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Bill & Debbie / 2015 LE2 #75 / 2024 F-150 5.0L / North Carolina

• Moderators

A,spare, for me, trailer or truck, is a "get me home," or get me to the nearest repair facility. 

We also carry a tire repair kit/plug kit (and a tire pump) . We don't carry a bunch of spare parts, but that's important. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

10 hours ago, rideandfly said:

Mushroom style tire plugs

These work great!  Used them on our dual-sport motorcycle when even a "pinch flat" could be repaired well enough to get back to civilization!  Highly recommend having this small/tidy as part of a standard load-out kit for anyone traveling on inflatable running gear, IMO.

• Thanks 1

• 2022 TUNDRA

On 8/4/2023 at 6:08 PM, rideandfly said:

Out of curiosity will research to see if this tire size comes in a higher capacity.

The OEM tire spec already has greater weight load capacity than the dual 3500 LB Dexter axles. This is why we fill EII tires at 55 PSI (or lower). 7000 LB gross trailer weight is maximum for the suspension (axles and leaf springs). You can upgrade to 5200 LB axles, but why do you need more than 7K LB? We weighed ours coming back from a camping trip at 6K LB. Another 1000 LB is a lot of stuff. However, those of you who travel months vs. days can need. The place for this extra weight is in your tow vehicle, which is why a 3/4-ton truck makes good sense as you need and collect more stuff!

EDIT: I'm sorry rideandfly, I misinterpreted your statement and took it out of context. See my post below. 

• Like 2

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

• Moderator+
1 hour ago, jd1923 said:

The OEM tire spec already has greater weight load capacity than the dual 3500 LB Dexter axles. This is why we fill EII tires at 55 PSI (or lower). 7000 LB gross trailer weight is maximum for the suspension (axles and leaf springs). You can upgrade to 5200 LB axles, but why do you need more than 7K LB? We weighed ours coming back from a camping trip at 6K LB. Another 1000 LB is a lot of stuff. However, those of you who travel months vs. days can need. The place for this extra weight is in your tow vehicle, which is why a 3/4-ton truck makes good sense as you need and collect more stuff!

The LEII's that are currently being built come with the 5200 pound axles. However, they have the four leaf 3500 pound spring packs rather than the 5 leaf spring packs that normally are supplied with the larger axles. Therefore the GVWR of the trailer remains at 7000 pounds rather than 10,400 pounds that the 5200 pound axles would usually provide.

When we had Hull #050 built in 2013-14, I specified the 5200 pound axles. This does provide for a larger GVWR but it also adds more weight. With other modifications we had done (raised bed platforms, heavier tires), every time I've weighed it, with a full tank of water, full 30 pound propane tanks, 3000 watt generator sitting in the tongue basket, configured ready to camp with food and clothing it will come in at around 7200 pounds. Although at least one owner claims his camping weight to be below 5000 pounds, I would consider that our trailer and his trailer are definitely outliers. Most all the LEII's will weight 6000 pounds or better.

• Like 5

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

17 minutes ago, ScubaRx said:

The LEII's that are currently being built come with the 5200 pound axles. 

That is great news, it makes it possible to install a plug and play disk brake set, instead of having to also swap out the axles! 

I wish Oliver did this many years ago….

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: 

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

In reference to the edit mentioned in my post above...

I just check my spare, it is a BFGoodrich P215/70R16 99T. The stated load rating at 44 psi is 1705 lbs. 1704 x 4=6820 so this spare is a bit short of 7000 lbs. 

The BFGoodrich tire your found is not only a 100T rate, but it's an LT (light truck) tire vs. P (passenger tire rate). It has additional plys (belts) being an LT and with max 50 PSI rated will carry more weight. Good find! Of the 81 tires this size, shown in a Discount Tire web search, it is the only LT rated tire. When Mine needs replacing, this would be a good choice. 
215/70R16 Tires | Discount Tire

BTW, when I've had trailer flats before, my first choice is to remove the rim, detach the TV and drive the rim to the tire shop. I use the spare as a last resort, and mine usually collect dust, so i worry less if they are older. I've had several car-hauler and cargo trailers, carrying no spare. I'd rather drive for service without the trailer, drop the spare, go eat lunch, and not change the tire twice!

• Like 1

We're used to rotating our spare into the running gear sneakers with our old "ASs", thinking that it would make the 5-tire set last up to 20% longer.  Obviously, on replacement you're paying for a 5-tire set instead of only 4.  Where we live in the Great Southwest, the heat still degrades the spare even though it's covered from harmful UV under the spare cover - so refreshing the spare at "new tire time" makes sense to us.  Counting on having a 5+ year old dusty spare perform safely when we need it most might be sketchy, IMO.  We have a fresh set Cooper Discoverer HT3's on our 16" wheels and will continue to rotate the 5th tire into the mix - a little bit of a PIMA, but worth the peace of mind.  We're happy that Hull 226's spare cover fits over our size sneakers!  

Not good to be chintzy with running gear...

Cheers!

• Like 1

• 2022 TUNDRA

7 hours ago, jd1923 said:

EDIT: I'm sorry rideandfly, I misinterpreted your statement and took it out of context. See my post below. 

Understand, No problem! 🙂

Bill & Debbie / 2015 LE2 #75 / 2024 F-150 5.0L / North Carolina

Well, y'all got me thinking of being ready to change a tire on the road - TY. I had the Oliver hooked up this weekend to do a few things, like measuring rear ride height before and after coupling, and while I was at it, I tested my EZ Jack to know whether it works on the Oliver. 

The one I bought 30 years ago is the same brand as this one: Blaylock EZ Jack and Wheel Chock for Tandem-Axle Trailers - Aluminum - 20,000 lbs Blaylock Industries Wheel Chocks EZ-JACK

It does work on the E2, lifting the other wheel barely off the ground. Then I used the rear leveling jack to bring it up another inch and it was very solid for changing a flat tire (chock the other side if you are going to decouple the TV). 

All was good, then as I pulled into a gas station, up the driveway on an angle, I heard a loud BANG, and quickly checked my right-side mirror to see if I had hit the curb but was 2-3 feet away. I'm thinking a shackle got turned upside down when I drove up the jack, lifting one wheel allowing the other to drop. Now it's reset, all by itself!

EZ Jack.jpg

• Like 3

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, jd1923 said:

Now it's reset, all by itself!

Your assumption is very likely correct.  And, that bang is a bit startling even when you are expecting it.

If this happens to you again and you notice that the shackle has flipped then all you have to do is slowly drive (on the side that is flipped) over a curb or a 4x4 (this is what they do in the Oliver Service Dept).

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Near Asheville, NC

2 hours ago, topgun2 said:

If this happens to you again and you notice that the shackle has flipped, then all you have to do is slowly drive (on the side that is flipped) over a curb or a 4x4 (this is what they do in the Oliver Service Dept). Bill

Thanks Bill, the driveway entrance had a 2" bump, and I was taking a left turn (had jacked up the left side) at a good 10 MPH! Just another way to do it. Lol 😀

• Love 1

• Moderator+
4 hours ago, jd1923 said:

Blaylock EZ Jack and Wheel Chock for Tandem-Axle Trailers - Aluminum - 20,000 lbs Blaylock Industries Wheel Chocks EZ-JACK

It does work on the E2, lifting the other wheel barely off the ground. Then I used the rear leveling jack to bring it up another inch and it was very solid for changing a flat tire (chock the other side if you are going to decouple the TV). 

All was good, then as I pulled into a gas station, up the driveway on an angle, I heard a loud BANG, and quickly checked my right-side mirror to see if I had hit the curb but was 2-3 feet away. I'm thinking a shackle got turned upside down when I drove up the jack, lifting one wheel allowing the other to drop. Now it's reset, all by itself!

I'll bet you're are spot on about the noise coming from a reversed shackle.

While working on the running gear of the trailer, while I would advise you to chock the opposite side, I would also recommend that you to never unhook the tow vehicle. It is your greatest safety net. With the trailer still attached to the truck, there is virtually no way it could move forward or backward.

• Like 2

I don't bother with a chock when coupled. The truck parking brake is quite enough, as it ain't going nowhere! I will chock to decouple a trailer for tire repair, since I prefer to drive the wheel in for repair, not the whole rig, unless we're many, many miles to a tire store and then the spare makes sense to me.

I see so many vehicles stopped, just one foot from the white line on a major highway and I'm thinking why, in the world, did they stop there? Why not coast a little down the road to a safe place. This is first and foremost. Your tire likely needs replacing anyway, you can't hurt it any further, maybe scrape the rim little which is less important than your safety! Just keep rolling, don't hit the brakes, flashers on, and coast slowly to a safe place, while looking ahead to eyeball the best safe level spot available!

And Steve is absolutely correct, if you are going to mount the spare, drive truck & trailer in for repair, there is no reason to decouple. 

Edited by jd1923
REmoved story
  • Like 2