Newbies taking the plunge - Are we missing anything

Just now, MobileJoy said:

Here's a clip from the 2020 Ford RV And Trailer Towing Guide regarding F-150

Note the 5000 lbs weight limit before requiring a WDH. Also, I believe the 500 lbs tongue weight maximum is on a label attached to the hitch. So both apply.

• Like 2

2021 Elite II Twin #850 "Mojo", 2020 F250 Lariat 7.3L FX4 3.55

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory
21 hours ago, ScubaRx said:
On 10/31/2023 at 3:33 PM, Rivernerd said:

1/2 ton truck owners manuals do not address tongue weight, but trailer weight.    My Tundra owners manual requires a weight distribution hitch if towing over 5000 lbs., period, regardless of how much of that is tongue weight. 

Pay attention here, light duty truck owners. This is absolutely true.

You both are correct.  My statement was not a typo, it was a brain fart.  Post has been updated above.

GJ

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have an opinion or advice on using the floor space between the beds in an Ollie 2 for "luggage"?

We are considering buying a couple of bins for longer trips.  For things that might typically go in the pantry or a closet (canned goods, water, boots).  Just trying to minimize what goes in the bed of the truck while maximizing the comforts we can bring.

Our biggest concern would be how to ensure it doesn't slosh around during travel.

2024 OLEII - Hull MDIV, born 3/13/24

Ram 1500  5.7L 8 cyl hemi, 4wd, max tow, air shocks, 6’4” box, crew cab

visited-united-states-map.png

• Moderators

Even though for most of my trips I travel alone, I still do not use the space between the bed to store anything meaningful.  I have placed a "rack" for my shoes on the short wall below the streetside bed and when I'm towing the things that sit on top of the nightstand are placed on the floor at the foot of the nightstand.

I assume that you have utilized the space below the front dinette seat and the space below the streetside bed?  Once I found the perfect sized plastic container for under the front dinette seat it has been the depository for my coffee maker and things that will not fit in the pantry.  Extra charcoal, my shower tent, safety cones and a few other things go below the streetside bunk.

Happy Thanksgiving and good luck on finding the storage solution(s) that work for you.

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

2 hours ago, Dennis and Melissa said:

Does anyone have an opinion or advice on using the floor space between the beds in an Ollie 2 for "luggage"?

If you do use the space between the beds for storage, keep it on the street side half.  Be sure  to allow at least 12" of free air space in front of the furnace return air vent on the curb side.

The Truma Varioheat furnace installed in all 2023-24 Elite II units will register error messages when the air return is blocked, such as by a storage tub.  This is because the furnace air opening is right behind the bulkhead under the bed on the curb side, and it has air flow sensors that should not be blocked.  We have even gotten those error messages from the Truma Varioheat in our standard floor plan model when a pair of shoes shifted during travel and ended up in front of the return air vent!

We feel your pain.  We, too, have searched for storage locations in our Elite II.  We have learned the "hard way" that using too much of the tempting space between the beds (or under the bed in our standard floor model) will prevent furnace performance.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

On 11/23/2023 at 6:00 AM, topgun2 said:

found the perfect sized plastic container for under the front dinette seat it has been the depository for my coffee maker and things that will not fit in the pantry.

Bill:

Would you please share the info for your container?  Maybe a pic of it in place too!

thanks

JPR

• Like 1

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

• Moderators
12 hours ago, Geronimo John said:

Would you please share the info for your container?  Maybe a pic of it in place too!

OK - 

but it will have to wait until the next time I'm out at the storage yard - should be within the next two weeks.

Bill

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators
On 11/23/2023 at 10:11 AM, Dennis and Melissa said:

You might find some storage ideas in this post.

Mossey

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators
On 11/25/2023 at 8:48 AM, topgun2 said:
On 11/24/2023 at 8:24 PM, Geronimo John said:

OK - 

but it will have to wait until the next time I'm out at the storage yard - should be within the next two weeks.

Bill

I finally got out there this morning!

Not exactly what you were asking for but I hope that the pics and measurements do you some good.  This plastic bin fills the space below the forward dinette seat about as much as possible while still allowing relatively easy removal.  With the bin in place I still have room for light things such as a bag or rags and a bag of individually wrapped plastic eating utensils. 

The top/lid snaps onto the "handles".  To access the contents, I simply un-snap each side and rotate the lid 90 degrees.

If I want to fully remove the lid for some reason, I un-snap the lid, rotate 90 degrees and then lift the lid out of the compartment.

The measurements of the plastic bin at its largest points are:  15 3/4 inches wide - 21 inches long - 11 1/4 inches high/tall

Bill

P1030317.JPG

P1030318.JPG

P1030321.JPG

P1030320.JPG

P1030319.JPG

• Like 3

On 11/1/2023 at 3:47 AM, Rivernerd said:

Finally, having now adjusted to the quirks of using the Andersen hitch after 1 year of ownership, I prefer the way our rig handles with it attached.  So, I don't mind the minimal extra time and effort required to hook and unhook it.  We "don't leave home without it."

Ralph:

I agree with your sage advice: "don't leave home without it".  Not for sway control.... Ollie has near zero.  But for porposing and general handling.

Your quirks comment got me a LOL.  For sure for sure.  To a new Anderson user, my Anderson Golden Rules are:

• Keep the Andersrson pin, pin hole, plate and shaft clean and lubricated.
  • When disconnecting, loosen the big nuts all the way until the square shaft threads ends are well inside the nuts. 
  • Raising the connected Ollie/TV up with your front jack will greatly improve your effort to connect the Anderson plate.
  • Make sure to disconnect your Anderson only with the TV and Ollie in line.. ie not at an angle with each other.  Failure will result in bad words when you try to reconnect later.....

GJ

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

Not trying to hijack the thread, but it is for sure related to the above.

Three enhancements that I found to be VERY beneficial for our TV (F-150 crew cab short box FX4) are:

• Bilstein 5100 rear shocks
  • E-Rated AT tires
  • Rear air bags

Despite spending the last five summers out west in the mountains, I did not really  understand this until we did our 45 day Alaska trip.  

GJ

• Like 2

We are pregnant! Due date 3/13. It's a boy.  We haven't named him yet. 😉 

I'm watching all the parenting videos now.

1) I was surprised to learn the stabilizing jacks aren't recommended for changing a flat, yet no jack is provided.  Anyone have jack advice?

2) We went with the composting pooper but no shower curtain.  I was surprised to see Oliver recommends covering it with a trash bag while showering to keep it dry.  I would think closing the lid would suffice???

3) We live in FL.  Anyone care to share their experience titling their baby in the Sunshine State?  (We may try to do it while on the road.)

4) My wife wants to attend the next rally.  But we can't commit yet.  Too many unknowns....  Is it possible to attend "at the last minute"?

• Like 3

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Dennis and Melissa said:

We are pregnant! Due date 3/13. It's a boy.  We haven't named him yet.

Congrats!  Heck of a way to get the new year rolling.

1) I was surprised to learn the stabilizing jacks aren't recommended for changing a flat, yet no jack is provided.  Anyone have jack advice?

I either use the on board jacks in emergency situations and/or the jack that came with my truck.  As with any jacking situation, much depends on the location, the surface that the jack will sit on, the weather, the time of day, how far you will need to jack the trailer up, etc..  There are also jacking aids made for tandem axles trailers like THESE and, of course, you can always use combinations of other things you might have on hand anyway like 2x6's or "lego" leveling blocks, Andersen like leveling ramps, etc..  In all cases, the usual safety precautions prevail!

2) We went with the composting pooper but no shower curtain.  I was surprised to see Oliver recommends covering it with a trash bag while showering to keep it dry.  I would think closing the lid would suffice???

I don't have one of those "fancy" things.  However, I believe that this topic has been discussed previously here on the Forum - you might try the Search function.

3) We live in FL.  Anyone care to share their experience titling their baby in the Sunshine State?  (We may try to do it while on the road.)

I assume that you are talking about your new Ollie 😄.  Hopefully one of our Florida members will chime in here and give your the scoop.  Past that I think a review of your State's regulations online will get you the answer you desire.

4) My wife wants to attend the next rally.  But we can't commit yet.  Too many unknowns....  Is it possible to attend "at the last minute"?

I'd go ahead and make your reservations for a camping spot now.  I don't remember exactly what the Lake Guntersville State Park's policy on cancellations is but I do know that it is very reasonable which should allow you plenty of time to cancel if you need to.  Once the registration process for the Rally itself is announced (HERE on the Forum) you can register and, once again, cancel if you need to.  There are places fairly near the State Park (and even within the State Park) where you could camp at the last minute (Mostly boondocking as far as I know).  But, that could be a bit more risk than you might want to take given the new member of the family being along.

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Dennis and Melissa said:

<snip>

<snip>

First, congrats on the new to arrive family member.

For a trailer jack, I recommend something like a Safe Jack in a size and with adapters that best fit your needs.  I also always have a piece of plywood that can be used as a stable base for the bottle jack if you’re in gravel or loose dirt.

Edit:  there is a thread that shows shower curtain mods that I believe are better than the OTT design.  I like the mods that use boat rail tubing and fittings.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

Hull #364 - The Roadrunner 

2023 F350 CCLB SRW 6.7L

ALAKAZARCACOFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMSMO

• Moderators

Congrats on the upcoming birth!

I agree with Bill’s comments.

- I’ve used the onboard jacks numerous times to get the tires off the ground for various reasons.

- We have the regular toilet (NH not available in 2015), but I think you want to keep your composter as dry as possible.

- We titled our babies in the states they were born in, one in Georgia and one in Hawaii.  Our trailer is titled in Texas.🤪

- Call Lake Guntersville State Park and make a reservation, the park will be full for the rally.  You can cancel or offer you space to late comers if you decide not to attend.  Registration with Oliver is separate, they haven’t opened it up yet.

Have fun learning about babies and Olivers!  Mike

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

2 hours ago, Wandering Sagebrush said:

For a trailer jack, I recommend something like a Safe Jack in a size and with adapters that best fit your needs.  I also always have a piece of plywood that can be used as a stable base for the bottle jack if you’re in gravel or loose dirt.

I concur.  I always carry a Safe Jack 6-ton RV Jack Kit when trailering.  See the thread linked below, with one caveat:  I have found that the 2x6 piece into which I drilled a hole to hold the jack post broke after  couple of uses.  So, I adopted the suggestion of another forum member and cut most of one side off of the u-shaped attachment, so it does not impinge on the wiring just inside of the frame at the jacking point.  I now use the modified u-shaped attachment, for a secure grip on the frame when using the Safe Jack.

I also lower all three "stabilizer" jacks to supplement the support provided by the Safe Jack if I am ever putting any part of my body under the trailer.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

• Moderator+
On 11/23/2023 at 9:11 AM, Dennis and Melissa said:

Because we have the raised bed option in our Hull #050 and thus have an additional 28 cubic feet of storage space, we have never utilized the aisle for storage. 

That being said, I don’t see a thing wrong with using that space for storage while traveling. When I was in high school, I packed trucks that came to purchase items from one of the businesses that my parents owned. I got really good at it because they would continue to buy stuff until their vehicle was completely full. 

One thing to remember while moving down the road is that things that can move will do so 99% of the time from the rear toward the front. Pack your totes as far forward as possible. Right up against the bathroom wall is best. Keep all totes on the floor rather stacked on top of each other so they won’t turn over. Also, when packing the inside of the trailer, know that the stability of the trailer is dependent on the location of the load. Sixty per cent (or more) of the load weight should be placed in front of the axles. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

2 hours ago, Rivernerd said:

I concur.  I always carry a Safe Jack 6-ton RV Jack Kit when trailering.  See the thread linked below, with one caveat:  I have found that the 2x6 piece into which I drilled a hole to hold the jack post broke after  couple of uses.  So, I adopted the suggestion of another forum member and cut most of one side off of the u-shaped attachment, so it does not impinge on the wiring just inside of the frame at the jacking point.  I now use the modified u-shaped attachment, for a secure grip on the frame when using the Safe Jack.

I also lower all three "stabilizer" jacks to supplement the support provided by the Safe Jack if I am ever putting any part of my body under the trailer.

Kirk, we use the flat pad accessory.IMG_1078.thumb.jpeg.3b379ec15c6c52c538895ab05927ca20.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Hull #364 - The Roadrunner 

2023 F350 CCLB SRW 6.7L

ALAKAZARCACOFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMSMO

7 hours ago, Dennis and Melissa said:

I personally use the following safety procedures when ever I am jacking up Ollie for service of any nature:

• Keep Ollie fully connected to your tow vehicle.  Nothing like having a 6,000 pound anchor attached.
  • Flag the steering wheel as a reminder that you are connected and the TV can not be moved.  Pocket any spare keys that your partner may have as further precaution.
  • Use all three jacks to elevate the trailer only as high as necessary.  Be aware of the geometry aspect of doing so, especially on the front jack.
  • Use safety blocking at both sides of the trailer if your body is going to be under the trailer, especially if you have any tires removed.

GJ:

PS:  No comment on using your jacks for service purposes.....  This topic has been beaten to death several times already.  If new, look it up.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

23 hours ago, Dennis and Melissa said:

I carry a light weight 1.5T aluminum floor jack for use with both my TV and OTT; trim design, and easily stowed under the rear seat with other tools, spare parts and supplies. When lifting the Oliver at the designated jack points, this low profile floor jack is placed on top of an Anderson Rapid Jack to enable adequate reach; however not necessary for axle lifts. These style jacks have a long reaching, two-piece handle; useful for positioning, as well as leveraging. Although a Harbor Freight brand, it has served me well on many occasions; goes on sale often. 

IMG_6485.thumb.jpeg.b1ab2d2da78e27b38b775efad3f4c54a.jpeg

IMG_4977.thumb.png.299de61f595143e0e02f425ee00effcd.png

2020 OLEll, Twin, 579

2012 Silverado 1500 4x4

No installed solar, Renogy 40A DC-DC charger, 460Ah LFP battery bank/Victron SmartShunt

• Moderators
22 hours ago, topgun2 said:
23 hours ago, Dennis and Melissa said:

I'd go ahead and make your reservations for a camping spot now.  I don't remember exactly what the Lake Guntersville State Park's policy on cancellations is but I do know that it is very reasonable which should allow you plenty of time to cancel if you need to.  Once the registration process for the Rally itself is announced (HERE on the Forum) you can register and, once again, cancel if you need to.  There are places fairly near the State Park (and even within the State Park) where you could camp at the last minute (Mostly boondocking as far as I know).  But, that could be a bit more risk than you might want to take given the new member of the family being along.

If/when you call Guntersville State Park - be sure to mention that you are with the Oliver Owners Rally.  The Park has set aside sites just for us at a reduced price.

Bill

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators
1 minute ago, Dennis and Melissa said:

How much of a practical issue is this?

As with most things - It Depends!

If you want to store that cast iron dutch oven along with that cast iron frying pan along with that cast iron .... then you might experience an unwanted mess on the floor after a day of travel.

But, if you are a light weight to normal packer then you shouldn't have any problem.

If you are still "worried" then there are several solutions for securing the drawers in threads here on the Forum - anything from rods to bungies to child safety cables/locks are all mentioned.

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

• Moderators

Cast iron goes in our truck bed when we travel.

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• 5 weeks later...