Jump to content

Leaderboard

Popular Content

Showing content with the highest reputation on 02/05/2017 in all areas

  1. http://olivertraveltrailers.com/freezeproof-larry-mountainborn-harmon/
    2 points
  2. You know, it is very interesting to see that you do extensive mining and have sophisticated tools that the average trailer owner could not even imagine in his dreams, or perhaps afford, but the info is neither constructive nor applicable to the thread in any way that I can see.... what exactly was your point? I suggest that an owner buy a small military style canvas tool bag .... https://www.amazon.com/Northstar-Mil-Spec-Mechanics-Tool/dp/B00GGHOQP6 ... and a set of 4 pouches .... https://www.amazon.com/Klein-Tools-5140-Canvas-Zipper/dp/B000MKDUKU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1486310682&sr=8-1&keywords=klein+tools+canvas+tool+bag ... and then start filling it up with as wide an assortment of basic SAE and metric hand tools as you can. The pouches neatly fit in the bag (vertically, zipper up), do not tear like freezer bags, and allow you to carry all the small stuff like sockets without having them all fall to the bottom. You can lable the bags SAE, Metric, Pliers, etc for easy identification. Big stuff like a crescent wrench, short handled 4 lb sledge hammer, punches and big screwdrivers all ride on the bottom. A small stack of rags on top completes the setup. That will give you an easily carried and useful kit that will help with most routine and emergency work on both trailer and TV. The soft bag means it can't slide and bang around and it is super easy to move between vehicles. In a storage compartment of your Ollie, or in the TV if you have space, add a 1/2 drive impact socket set and some big wrenches, and an electric impact gun ... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BWFIKJA/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=77ELCXYF0Y8I&coliid=I1SI14Q3H1M8YZ ... and you should be OK. This assumes that you have the ability and basic skill needed to use them. Of course you need a lube and spares kit too. Fuses, Wheel bearing grease and a bearing kit for one hub, nylon ties small and large, and some pipe fittings and hose clamps are essential. Everything else is whatever floats your boat. ;) The further you venture away from help, the more stuff you need to add to your tool set. John Davies Spokane WA
    2 points
  3. Donbob3 The product that I use to remove stains is 303 UV Protectant. I use it to wax our Oliver before we leave for a long trip and then while traveling I just use 303 on the front of the trailer after I wash it. It works great for me especially protecting from love bugs, road tar, etc. A lot of sailboat owners use it for to protect their boats. It can be purchased at Westmarien stores, Camping World Stores. I purchase it on Amazon by the gallon which will last me for several years. I've used it on boats, a motorhome, and two travel trailers and love the stuff. You can get a lot more information on Amazon and by reading their reviews. Once again I just wanted to let you know what works for me. Hope it helps Hap Short for Happy as in happy to own an Oliver Travel Trailer especially after seeing some of the other RV's out there.
    2 points
  4. We're in the central Virginia area and placed the order for our Elite II in November of '16. Our start date was January 9. Looking forward to meeting others at the Hiawassee, GA get together in May. Thank you Oliver staff for a great experience!
    1 point
  5. 1 point
  6. I'm curious what the angle grinder is for. I've never had a breakdown on the road and thought, if only...
    1 point
  7. Canoe12, So far, only needed standard wrenches for work on the Ollie.
    1 point
  8. Basically #1 is always an Angle Grinder - https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DWE402-2-Inch-11-Amp-Grinder/dp/B00RVZ7DNO/ref=sr_1_3?s=power-hand-tools&ie=UTF8&qid=1486267373&sr=1-3&keywords=Angle+Grinder And the list grows from there... ½" drill & bits, ½" Impact Wrench & 2 full sets of Sockets, 24"pipe wrench, 2 - 8", 12", 16", & 1 - 24" Crescent Wrench... 2' Bubble Level, Grease Gun, Sierra Blaster, Gold Cube Trommel, Metal Detectors, Gold pans, & tons more... But I will be making videos of everything soon enough once I get my basement or tool crib in order. I love being able to build things or do projects or just go gold panning when camping and I have a ton of friends scattered all over that do the same :) Sierra Blaster
    1 point
  9. It seems that every time I give my Ollie a wash, I get water in the interior. Since I'm not inside to see at the time, it's hard to tell where it's coming in. All vents and windows are closed! So, are there certain areas I should be careful around? Like the A/C, or Refr. vents, or....? Maybe the BT/GT vent on top, or even the fan(s)? In the past, I have had water come through the LED lights in the bathroom, and around the speaker over the dinette just next to the bathroom wall. Today, after a mid winter wash, I had a puddle on the floor under the main table (trailer was pitched front up slightly) and water was dripping out of the rear passenger side seep under the trailer. There were no signs of any drips from above.... This only happens when I wash. It has never leaked in all the heavy rains we have had here. Kind of a mystery to me. I would appreciate any tips or advice. Here in the Northwest, if I don't wash fairly regularly, my trailer will turn green! Someday, I'll have covered storage, but for now it sits outside. Next time, I'll have my wife sit in there when I wash and maybe she'll see something. Dave
    1 point
  10. Any and Every thing that I think that myself or someone else might possibly need. I do, however, generally leave the welder at home. If I can't fix it on the road, we probably should head home. Realistically, should take what you would normally use at home. You don't want to have to pay someone to fix something simply for lack of the correct tool.
    1 point
  11. Hi Hap :) Yes, we love that area as well and are planning to go back. Also, if you need work done on your trailer, Little House Customs on Arizona is about 45 minutes away from Sedona also. Konrad worked on our trailer while we were there and he installed one of his custom shelves in our Casita. He may have the awnings and who knows what, you need to call at least a month ahead. We're heading to LHC in Texas on the way home for awnings and some other misc mods for our new Olli. Larry's going to take measurements and check out the Oliver and then see what other mods he can come up with for everyone. Here's what we're picking up or having done - awnings, fridge hinge and button cover, screen door bar, another surge protector, 4 or 5 overhead cabinet shelves, and some vertical shelves, spice racks, etc on that stuff for Karen. Then maybe if it works - the fold down counter, blue step covers, maybe a hepvo under the sink, maybe a battery cut off if it will work on our 4 battery system, 12vdc digital voltmeter, connector storage bracket, maybe the breakaway tether... basically whatever they have time for and for him to see it and get set up for doing Ollie Mods as well is one of our main reasons for going. Larry is booked out 3 months in advance but we got lucky and filled in a cancelation spot. Konrad is booked out also but worth a call. He can pack bearings and everything also :) Reed https://littlehousecustoms.com/ http://www.littlehousecustomsarizona.com/contact-us.html
    1 point
  12. I honestly don't see the need only because I don't stay hooked up to city water when it's way below freezing. I've used heat tape, lived in Alaska for a few years, and still just don't have the need to stayed hooked up to anyone elses plumbing when it's that cold. I'll pull my hose out around 2pm, fill the tank, drain everything else if needed, then put them away for a few days.
    1 point
  13. I agree with all of the above. I keep it at or below 65 on the interstate. Usually slower on 2 lane roads. I'm not in a big rush, my gas mileage is decent and I feel there is more of a margin of safety. Even in west Texas where the speed limit is 80, 65 feels right. Mike
    1 point
  14. I agree with John. The Oliver Elite II tows and tracks so well that it can give you a false sense of confidence. I have no doubt that you could tow your Oliver safely at 75 mph if you were the only vehicle on the road, there was no wildlife around, and the road was wide and flat. The problems you may encounter in the real world are other drivers doing the unexpected, a curve that tightens more than you anticipated, a deer running in front of you, etc. Emergency braking, steering to avoid an obstacle on the road, etc. are much different when you are towing. On interstate highways, I typically tow at 65 mph maximum. On two-lane highways, I tow between 55 mph and 60 mph, depending on the speed limit and conditions. Recently, I drove the final 60 miles or so to the Chisos Basin Campground at 45 mph because of very high winds. I could have driven 55 mph, but I was much more comfortable at a lower speed. John mentions gas mileage. I see a significant difference in gas mileage when I tow at 55 rather than 65. Another factor is a feeling of relaxation. I hope you are on the road with your Oliver to relax and get away. Traveling at a leisurely rate will help you relax. I towed my Ollie around 8,000 miles last year and by mid-February, I will have towed over 2,000 already this year. I plan my travels so I travel a maximum of 350 miles per day and often, once I'm in an area I plan to enjoy, I may not travel more than 100 miles from place to place. Don
    1 point
  15. Whatever the posted maximum trailer towing speed. The tires are good for any legal and sane speeds. I personally would keep it at 65, but that is for fuel consumption more than safety. I certainly would never exceed 70. I cringe when I see big diesel pickups flying down the freeway at 80+ mph with a trailer in tow. It is very risky. John Davies Spokane WA
    1 point
  16. I now use EcoSave exclusively. The small bottle of scented usually last me all season. I put about a capful of it, long with about a cupful or so of water at the start of a trip. It "splash blends" as we go down the road. Kind of lubes the bottom of the tank and wakes up the microbes. No formaldehyde, and would never put bleach in...I do carry a bottle of the dry, just in case I run out of the other. But I am lazy, and just splash the 'about right' amount in when needed.
    1 point
  • Recent Achievements

    • carpenter went up a rank
      Apprentice
    • Powderkeg11 earned a badge
      One Year In
    • annasteve earned a badge
      First Post
    • CB1735 earned a badge
      One Month Later
    • Kindiogami earned a badge
      Week One Done
    • Kindiogami earned a badge
      One Month Later
    • Kindiogami earned a badge
      One Year In
    • annasteve earned a badge
      Reacting Well
    • Gene G. earned a badge
      One Year In
    • CB1735 earned a badge
      Collaborator
    • annasteve earned a badge
      Conversation Starter
    • GregCA earned a badge
      Collaborator
    • FirstApex earned a badge
      Dedicated
    • Aaron Wolters earned a badge
      Week One Done
    • DBL-R went up a rank
      Explorer
    • DBL-R earned a badge
      Dedicated
    • GregCA went up a rank
      Rookie
    • Jcraig earned a badge
      One Month Later
    • GregCA earned a badge
      Reacting Well
    • OliverTheCountry earned a badge
      Week One Done
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information