LE1 Generator Selection

Blain

Hello.  My wife Karen and I are purchasing the 2025 Oliver Legacy Elite1.

What generator is being used by other LE1 owners, to run the Truma Aventa Eco air conditioner?

I have determine the Predator 3500 will not fit the storage basket on the tongue.  So I’m open to suggestions.

We drive a GMC Canyon with v6 engine.

Thank you so much.

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Travel Trailers for Sale
New Travel Trailers for Sale

Honda 2000 EI or 2200 EI is used by many OTT owners.  

• Like 1

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

@Blain, I purchased a Champion 2500 Watt Dual Fuel Generator in late 2021, prior to our delivery of our LEII, Hull 990 in February, 2022.  See: https://www.amazon.com/Champion-Power-Equipment-2500-Watt-Technology/dp/B0CRLWJSSX/ref=dp_fod_sccl_1/134-9963084-0325038?pd_rd_w=Z6nsM&content-id=amzn1.sym.783fbbc9-65f4-4105-bb20-37dc32815d16&pf_rd_p=783fbbc9-65f4-4105-bb20-37dc32815d16&pf_rd_r=C3KWVM2SBJ484K0Q57BW&pd_rd_wg=GJSmQ&pd_rd_r=3b8f7d10-4b53-41bc-b17e-e7792cfe7baa&pd_rd_i=B0CRLWJSSX&th=1

I have been very pleased with the operation of this generator, which I have operated only on propane.  We carry it in a rear mounted cargo carrier on the LEII.  I have actually used the generator more often at our residence in Dallas, TX when we have experienced extended power outages.  It easily powers a large chest freezer and a 20+ cubic foot refrigerator/freezer.  This generator will run 12-14 hours on one 20 pound tank of propane when supporting these appliances.  On gasoline, this generator will operate for about 6 hours, depending upon load.  This generator can also be paired with another similar Champion generator OR a larger model for additional capacity.  I have no found the need purchase a second generator.

Not having to haul gasoline onboard is a major advantage.  I adapted the fuel hose on the Champion generator to connect to the low pressure connections on our LEII.

The Champion 2500 Watt Dual Fuel Generator powers our Dometic Penguin air conditioner on the LEII.  We purchased a Micro-Air EasyStart for the A/C unit as an option on our LEII.  The generator will NOT power the Dometic Penguin A/C unit without the Micro-Air EasyStart.

I did quite a bit of research prior to purchasing this generator.  It costs approximately that of a gas only Honda generator and has produces about the same level of noise as the Honda.  I also looked at propane conversions kits for the Honda generators and found these were an additional $250 to $300, AND installing them voided the Honda warranty.  I would not hesitate to make the same purchase again, if needed.  I see no downside to purchasing from Champion.

Regards, Don

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

spacer.pngNorth Texas | 2022 LEII, Hull #990, delivered 2/17/22 | 2014 BMW X5 35d

@Blain

Welcome to the Forum and welcome to being a Oliver owner.

Since both of the responses above do not have the Truma AC unit, I would suggest you call the Oliver company, identify what hull number you have and what do they recommend for a generator size. 

The minimium size of generator will depend on if you have the  Micro-Air EasyStart option connected to your A/C unit. This EasyStart allows a smaller generator to start the AC compressor, since it will allow less amperage to start the generator compressor.

• Like 2

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine 

Thank you both.  I’m hoping to find a generator that will fit the front storage box and will generate 30 amps.  We intend to travel mostly, boondocking along the way.  The LE1 air conditioner will require either shore power or a generator during the summer months.  The battery bank is not sufficient.

Again thank you for responding.

Hello @dewdev.  When we put down our deposit, Josh White suggested the Predator 3500 generator from Harbor Freight.  It has what I’m looking for, the 30 amp output and reasonable hours on a tank of gas.  The issue is the size.  It will fit in the front storage basket on a LE2 but not the storage basket on the LE1.  
I’m not sure when the Hull number is assigned but probably after the 15% down.  We are waiting until April 2025 on delivery due to taxes.  So I picked tax day April 15.

Thank you so much for your response.  Karen and I are looking forward to owning an Oliver.  As is our pup Martha.

@Blain, Champion Power Equipment offer a number of dual fuel models, including a 3400 watt model, which can produce a maximum of 25.5 starting amps and 23.3 running amps when running on propane.  The downside of this larger capacity generator is a weight slightly over 95 pounds.  In contract my 2500 watt generator (Model 200961) approximately 40 pounds.  Check the specs of these generators to ensure they will fit into the front storage box.  You should also check the allowable tongue weight of your tow vehicle to ensure a heavy generator does present too much weight.

How did you determine you need a generator capable of producing 30amps?  I suggest this is overkill for an LEI.  Do you really want to carry gasoline in your tow vehicle?

As @dewdev pointed out, our LEII does not have the Truma AC unit.  From what I have read on the OTT forum, I expect Oliver will confirm the Truma AC unit has lower power requirements than the Dometic Penguin.

I suggest you add details of your tow vehicle and LEl below your signature, which will help other owners to make appropriate recommendations.  

Don

spacer.pngNorth Texas | 2022 LEII, Hull #990, delivered 2/17/22 | 2014 BMW X5 35d

1 hour ago, Blain said:

I’m hoping to find a generator that will fit the front storage box and will generate 30 amps.

Overkill and as stated already, would be too many LBS for LE1 (or LE2).The 20A+ models mentioned are enough and I would only carry gasoline from the station to home for yard tools. Get the 30  gallon LP tank upgrade and mod a connection LP line.

Our old Dometic Penguin II runs on 15A. The new Atmos A/C runs on 10. If Truma requires more than 15, I would look at other choices. Get SoftStart on your A/C regardless of model choice as start-up amps can kick over 30.

• Like 4

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

Hi dhaig, the 2018 GMC Canyon 4x4 3.6L will tow up to 7000LB with a tongue weight between 10% - 15% of the total trailer weight. (500 - 750 LBS for the LE1) I won’t know idea tongue weight until it’s loaded.  I assume total weight will be less than 5000LB.

I’ll check with Oliver about the SoftStart.  That will help me make a better decision.

Thanks for your recommendation.

• Moderators

You really need to know the actual tongue weight allowance.  Most of us with elites don't have tongue baskets. A friend who does just carries chocks and a bit of firewood up there.

And, pay attention to your cargo capacity. With a small truck, yo mat be pushing the limits, already.

We carry a Honda 1000 just to recharge batteries. We have a 2500 Westinghouse that probably doesn't weigh much more, that will run our 9500 houghton, but we've never carried it. Anything we carry like that is in the truck bed, not the tongue. We don't look to create problems,  and, we chase the cooler weather.

Make sure you have rhe soft start. I "think" truma made that standard this July, but it can be retrofitted. You definitely do not need 30 amps. You need 15, and an inverter generator with sufficient surge to handle startup of your account. Check with Oliver as to your specific unit 

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

We asked Oliver service about the Aventa Eco + Soft Start when Truma started advertising it a few months ago.  It wasn't available through Oliver then, but maybe so in the future.  The standard Aventa Eco requires a 3kw or greater generator, or an external soft start.   The specs on the units equipped with a soft start are the same as without, except for the startup current of 30 amps vs 59 amps.  The Truma retrofitting services web page has a link to SoftStartRV for an approved external soft start.  You could probably use that with a 2.2kw generator to run your AC. 

We've had experience running our old Dometic Penguin equipped with soft start using an even older Honda EU2000i.  The normally quiet Honda made annoying noise as it revved up every time the AC compressor kicked in. It worked as long as we had no other significant loads.  We couldn't use the microwave or other appliances when running the AC (which can also be a problem when on shore power) and we dialed back the Xantrex battery recharge rate to 5 amps/hr.  We now have a non-soft start Truma and an EU3200i generator.  Both the AC and generator are much quieter both inside and outside the trailer than the Dometic + 2kw generator were.  

Though we won't need it since we'll have shore power, we'll bring the new generator to the Inks Lake Rally next week for anyone who's interested in evaluating its noise level while running the AC.

Steve

Edited by Steve and MA
  • Thanks 1

Steve & Mary Allyn

San Antonio, TX

2022 LE II Hull #969 "Un Œuf", 2021 MB Sprinter 3500 "Polly"

On 10/14/2024 at 10:55 PM, Blain said:

Hello.  My wife Karen and I are purchasing the 2025 Oliver Legacy Elite1.

What generator is being used by other LE1 owners, to run the Truma Aventa Eco air conditioner?

I have determine the Predator 3500 will not fit the storage basket on the tongue.  So I’m open to suggestions.

We drive a GMC Canyon with v6 engine.

Thank you so much.

We have the Truma 13.5 BTU Aventa AC and we do not have the Truma soft start. We use a Honda 3200i to run our AC and it’s a quiet and a very reliable genset.  
As posted above a Honda 2000 or 2200 will not run your 13.5 Truma Aventa unless you have the Truma soft start installed. 

Edited by Patriot
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2

ALAZARCOCTDEGAIDILIAKSKYMEMDMAMOMTNENHNM

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR”

TV 2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor 

Retro upgrades - Truma Aventa 13.5 AC, Alcan 5 leaf pack, Alcan HD shackles & HD wet bolts, 5200lb axles.

XPEL 10 mil PPF front both front corners, 30 lb LP tanks, Sea Biscuit Front Cargo Storage box.

North Carolina 🇺🇸

13 hours ago, jd1923 said:

Get the 30  gallon LP tank upgrade and mod a connection LP line.

First off... Welcome to the family.  And, welcome to the life of choices!   So damn many choices!    

I would not get the 30 gallon tank upgrade.  We did in 2016 and have now switched out for 20 pounders.   I find the using the 20 lbs size makes things simple on the road.  Stop at HD or Lowes or where ever you can switch out a tank and off you go.   You can run one empty or near empty... switch to the other and then swap out when convenient.  Lifting those 30 pounders gets old fast.   Sorry JD.   Also the 30 pounders add more WEIGHT.

And speaking of weight as mentioned before.   Tongue weight and payload weight in general will be something that occupies your mind.  Start by checking the inside driver side door for your trucks payload number.  Don't forget to subtract any additions you might have added to the truck like a cap, or slide, or fancy winch bumper.  Then subtract the weight tongue weight of the LE1.  (About 10% of total trailer weight so maybe about 500 lbs. guesstimate)  THEN subtract weight of occupants and gear. (I put wife, me and dog together so no one gets singled out.... don't ask how big the dog is)  Do you still have a positive number?  If so, I guess it's ok to add the tongue basket and generator.  But remember you won't really know how the numbers add up until you get it all together and run it over the scales. 

Like I said... choices.    But you already made the best choice with the Oliver.  Not only for a great camper but a great community to help you fret over all those damn choices.  

Good Luck and Happy Camping, 

Scotty

Edited by ScottyGS
  • Thanks 1

Gregg & Donna Scott and Missy the Westie  -    The Flying Sea Turtle - Hull # 145     Western NC

CTDEGAMDMANHNJNYNCPASCTNVAxlg.jpg

13 hours ago, jd1923 said:

Get the 30  gallon LP tank upgrade and mod a connection LP line.

We have dual 30# LP tanks and I agree it was a worth the upgrade at least for us and to swap out to 30# tanks after our first year based on our camping needs. In our recent 7400 mile 48 day trip we were really glad to have the larger tanks. We only had to top off one of our 30# tanks 3 times during this entire trip. 

Many CGs out west if not all, have LP available or will tell you where you can easily purchase it. Everyone needs it at some point. 

If you don’t have adequate pay load capacity with your TV, or are concerned about tongue weight, or physically cannot lift a full 30# LP tank then keeping the 20# tanks is probably the right thing to do.  Honestly I am not even sure an E1 will accommodate 30# tanks. 

Edited by Patriot
  • Like 2

ALAZARCOCTDEGAIDILIAKSKYMEMDMAMOMTNENHNM

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR”

TV 2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor 

Retro upgrades - Truma Aventa 13.5 AC, Alcan 5 leaf pack, Alcan HD shackles & HD wet bolts, 5200lb axles.

XPEL 10 mil PPF front both front corners, 30 lb LP tanks, Sea Biscuit Front Cargo Storage box.

North Carolina 🇺🇸

We have a 2023 Elite (the 'baby' Oliver) and we sometimes carry a generator depending on where we will be staying. 

We use a Firman 3242 dual fuel invertor generator that we bought at Costco about a year before we bought our Oliver. It has supplied the power necessary  to run the entire trailer with no issues at all. It is a bit heavy though & runs a bit loud for my tastes but so far, we haven't had to use it too often.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

• Moderators
5 hours ago, ScottyGS said:

I would not get the 30 gallon tank upgrade.  We did in 2016 and have now switched out for 20 pounders.

Tank size needs to be a decision based on how you camp and your physical capabilities.  We have the 30lb tanks.  20lb tanks are easier to handle but we enjoy the extra capacity.  I can still lift the larger tanks so we’ll stay with them until I can’t.  We’ve never had an issue with running out of propane while on the road.  I usually carry a 20lb tank for our fire pit.  Between campgrounds with propane, Tractor Supply’s and other locations refilling hasn’t been an issue.  Mike

• Like 3

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

9 hours ago, ScottyGS said:

I find the using the 20 lbs size makes things simple on the road.  Stop at HD or Lowes or where ever you can switch out a tank and off you go.

Not good advice, especially for a new Oliver. You will be supplied with brand new tanks with warranty, date coded for 10 years of use. The swap tanks are often abused/damaged. I got one once where the O-ring was missing and the LP would leak.

Also, it’s expensive. I just got one 30# and one 20# we use at home filled from empty for $29.80 which is the price of a swap tank at our local big box stores! Our local Ford dealer charges $2.50 per gallon Keep your original tanks for cost savings and your safety.

We’re on a 3 1/2 week trip and will likely only use one 30# for furnace, cooking and we love our LP fire ring. Years ago we ran out on a trip in a Class-C and best price nearby in the Phoenix valley was $5/gal.

We have enough batteries/inverter/solar to keep us fine and can run A/C for 3-4 hours when needed. If I was going to run a generator for A/C, I’d have more than enough LP, would look to fill one 30 when starting the second. If the E1 can only hold 20s, I’d buy a 3rd tank at a local HW store and have it filled up ready in the truck bed.

• Like 3

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

• Moderators

30 pound tanks are great , if you can lift them. We run with 20s. That's enough pain, and enough weight. They last a long time. That's a personal decision. But, if you can, try lifting a full one up and over the lip of the propane storage area, and see what you think. Some places will fill tanks in place. Others won't. 

We don't swap tanks at rhino or others, until tanks go out of date, or, we are desperate.  Swap tank site  is a good place to get rid of out of date tanks. Then, we pick and choose for a good date on replacement.  (True for trailer, BBQ, boat, etc)

Twenty is plenty, for us, and, we normally boondock. Cold weather enthusiasts will probably want 30 pounders. 

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Wow!  So many great suggestions.  I had heard the forum is the place to get great information but I have to say.  I’m blown away.  Thank all of you for taking the time to give this newbie so much.

Oliver did respond to my request for more information.  Currently both LE1 and LE2 have the same Truma Aventa A/C unit and operate on 15 amps.

Again thank you so much.

• Like 4

Wow!  20 vs. 30 lbs propane.  Didn't realize I was lighting the fuse on that one.  I still have my 30 lbs tanks and would use them if we were going on a longer trip and boondocking a lot.  But for shorter trips the small tanks make a lot more sense to me.  

The main reason I suggested the smaller tanks was OP has a GMC Canyon, a mid-size truck.  Don't know year, don't know what accessories have been added.   Don't know how much "gear" they will take.  Don't know the payload.....   But weight could be an issue. 

I guess you could order the 30 lbs tanks and then get 20 lbs tanks to use for shorter trips like we do.  

But in the end.....   It's another choice to be made.  Nice to have them... sometimes. 

Scotty

Edited by ScottyGS
  • Like 1

Gregg & Donna Scott and Missy the Westie  -    The Flying Sea Turtle - Hull # 145     Western NC

CTDEGAMDMANHNJNYNCPASCTNVAxlg.jpg

2018 GMC Canyon with 4WD 3.6L gas crew cab carrying 2 adults and a 60 LB dog.  The Canyon has a 6000 LB GCVW rating and will tow 7000 LBS.  It can haul a payload around 1500 LBS.

Currently I am looking at the Champion 2500 watt dual fuel generator and staying with the 20 LB propane tanks.  If weight allows I can always carry an extra propane tank in the TV.