Sign in to follow this  
John E Davies

Talk to me about the extendable tongue.

Can anyone elaborate on the extendable tongue feature of the Elite II? Is that still standard and how much adjustment can it give me?

I don't yet have one of these, but I am considering whether or not it would be practical to tow an Ollie with a "regular width" (50 inches) Polaris RzR in the back of my Ram 3500 short bed. I would like to be able to park the trailer and go exploring in the mountains with my wife and two dogs, so a pair of small motorcycles (my preference) or e-bikes are out. The dogs would ride in a cage type carrier mounted behind the passenger seats. I would probably back it in to get more of the weight toward the front of the bed.

Found on the Internet:

RzR-in-short-bed-pickup-001.thumb.jpg.85b4cfd0f3c11f91bc5c2bc92bbcb5e6.jpg

The truck has a massive payload so I am unconcerned about the weight, but the lowered tailgate will be a serious issue in terms of towing clearance (especially when backing). Though I could remove it if necessary. I would rather keep it in place.

I do not want to use a hitch extension at the receiver, for many reasons. Who is using the extended tongue on their Oliver, and can you please educate me about it? I have one on my little utility trailer and I think it is cool as heck.

Thanks.

John Davies

Spokane WA

"Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II NARV (Not An RV) Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 33" LT tires, airbags.

John,

I believe all current trailers coming off the line are being created with a tongue that is not adjustable.  Folks were simply not in the habit of changing their tongue length, for the most part, and the new units' tongue is now a massive hunk of extruded aluminum to provide incresed structural strength.  (They are always tweaking the design for improvements). The length of new tongues is set at about the middle extension of the older, adjustable ones.  This will allow folks who desire an accessory basket on the front to have one.

Perhaps a new Elite II owner could measure the distance from the center of where the Bulldog hitch would sit on the ball to the electric jack, which would be the first obstacle.  Then you could compare it the the measurement from your hitch ball to the end of the down tailgate.

Shoutout to any of you "big guys".  How 'bout a little help!

Pete

• Thanks 1

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

We are out camping so I just grabbed my tape measure and took a couple of pics.  It is not adjustable.  Looks likes about 38" from the center of the hitch to the jack.

image-10.thumb.jpeg.9ac068fa9ef6a8f7f47fe5f40b37977f.jpeg

image-14.thumb.jpeg.efa2e02471c6d07a3abf2b1ee158a108.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Mike and Carol | Fair Oaks Ranch, TX | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram Rebel 4X4 5.7L Hemi

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpg

I have a 2014 model Elite II and it measures 30 inches from jack to ball.

Stan

Stan and Carol

Blacksburg, VA

2014 Dodge Durango 5.7 Hemi

2014 Legacy Elite II Standard  Hull 63

Since the alimunim frame is made at the Oliver factory, perhaps they would be amenable to making its length to your specifications.  Won't hurt to ask.  They might just say "Yes, how long do you need it to be?"

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

Both our Oliver's had the receiver for the extendable tongue lengthened by 24 inches at our request so it's not out of the question.

Steve, Tali and the dogs: Reacher, Lucy and Rocky plus our beloved Storm and Maggie (both waiting at the Rainbow Bridge) 2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, HULL NUMBER: 0026 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, HULL NUMBER: 0050 2017 Silverado High Country 2500HD Diesel 4x4 

ALAKAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMA       ABBCMBNSYTsm.jpg