Dexter Easy Flex Suspension

dewdev

When I purchased my used Oliver a few weeks ago, the previous owner mentioned during his new Oliver orientation they had stated that 8 grease zirks (on each side of the trailer) on the  Easy Flex system needed to be greased every 3000 miles (or every 3 months) and my Oliver Easy Flex system was now due to be greased.

The trailer is now in storage outside for the winter with a foot of snow around it so I have been researching where these 8 grease zirks are located in and planning to grease them in the spring. Looking at Dexter and you-tube videos, I can only find 7 locations to grease as follows - 2 on each side of the Easy Flex where it connects to the springs, 1 at the top of the Easy Flex where it connects to the frame plate and 1 at the other end of each spring. That totals 7 grease zerks.

Can anyone tell me where the 8th grease zerk is located?

Has everyone found it necessary to grease these zerks every 3,000 miles or every 3 months, which ever happens first? ie. does the zerks stake the grease at those intervals?

Thanks

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine 

Grease “as needed”, use your judgement. Keep in mind that the typical travel trailer may never go over a few hundred miles each year. Annual service would be prudent, base the interval on miles driven (keep a travel log) and most importantly, the weather conditions. If you tow in heavy rain or on soaked highways, or on wet forest roads, the water blast will literally wash the grease away. I grease in the late fall, or “about” every 6000 miles. I would push it to 10,000 on a long trip. I never (intentionally) tow in the rain.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

I understand that the EZ Flex Dexter suspension is an updated suspension and appears to be a nice addition!

I am looking at a 2016 Elite 2. Does anyone know when Oliver started using the EZ Flex suspension. It is not a Deal-Breaker because it can be retrofitted to a non EZ Flex axle reasonably.

• Moderators

Pat - 

I don't know the exact date answer to your question but mine is a 2016 and Oliver started installing them as standard sometime in 2017 (as I remember).

Bill

p.s.  a fair number of owners have converted to the EZ Flex to include me.  The older axle assembly had plastic bushings that would need major help of some sort by between 10,000 and 15,000 miles.

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Installed our EZ Flex system either 2016 or 2017 on our 2015 Ollie. Not a difficult installation, but have to admit I damaged at least one of the bronze bushings during installation 😬.    Grease every 6000 miles, and keep Ollie mostly on paved highways. Greased EZ flex system while camping on long trips, too.

LE2

Hi Guys, I have what I hope is a simple question to answer. Last March I serviced the wheel bearings (cleaned, re-packed, new seals) on our 2017 Oliver Elite ll.  Due to Covid restrictions we only used the trailer for one short (200 miles on dry pavement) camping trip. Should I service the wheel bearings again this year or assume they will be fine for another 5,000 miles or so?  Thanks for the help.

• Moderators

MandD - 

See John Davies post (5 posts above yours).

As with so many things the real answer to your question is - it depends.  Where and how was your Oliver stored, where and how was that 200 miles put on it - at the beach, in a dirty place, during a very hot or cold period, at high speed for the 200 miles or just poking along, what's your risk tolerance, quality of grease used, etc.. 

If it were me and basically the answers to the previous questions were not "bad" then I'd at least take a look by popping off the bearing grease caps to observe the condition of the grease.  If it appears to be separating then I'd change it.  If I was planning that 5,000 miles you talk about to be mainly interstate driving, I'd strongly consider at least replacing the major part of the grease.  Of course I'd also check the bearing "play" by giving the wheels the old "shake" test and "spin" test. 

To be on the very safe and anal side - redo the job completely.

Good luck.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

MandD, I would not worry a second about the wheel bearing grease, just take care of it next Fall. Even when grease separates (the oil seeps out of the wax-like carrier) it does not simply vanish, it pools at the low spots and will get mixed up again as the wheel rotates and the bearings warm up. No big deal. If it actually leaks out past a bad seal, contaminating your brakes, that becomes a very big deal.

I do strongly suggest that you use a premium synthetic grease that hardly separates, like Redline CV2 Grease. The cost differential is minimal and it really is a much better product. Use it in the suspension too, it doesn’t make such a visual oily mess there.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Me - what would I do in that situation -200 dry miles - Maybe take a look - probably not - . I have found the Oliver community to be very proactive on the maintenance front. A good thing - anal - perhaps. Per Dexter:

light-duty-maintenance-schedulee47a839d2ba463c18d7aff64007a4014.pdf (dexteraxle.com)

medium-duty-oil-specification-and-bearing-adjustment.pdf (dexteraxle.com)

600-8K Complete Service Manual.pdf (dexterpartsonline.com)

Everything one needs - adjust accordingly - 

RB

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

• 2 years later...
On 2/11/2021 at 1:36 PM, rideandfly said:

Installed our EZ Flex system either 2016 or 2017 on our 2015 Ollie. Not a difficult installation, but have to admit I damaged at least one of the bronze bushings during installation 😬.    Grease every 6000 miles, and keep Ollie mostly on paved highways. Greased EZ flex system while camping on long trips, too.

@rideandfly @Mike and Carol I'm trying to find in these forums which size EZ Flex system goes on the Elite II.  Looks like there's a 33" and a 35".  When I measure from the center of my hubs, both sides, one side I get approx 33.5" and on the other size I get 34", probably another issue there, but that's later.  I'm not certain which size I need.  I'm right in the middle.

Any ideas or a better thread than this one?  I'm still searching.  Thanks.

Chris
2016 Legacy Elite II  o--o  Hull #110 o--o  Wayfinder  o--o  Twin Bed  o--o  2020 RAM 1500 Limited 5.7L 
Augusta, Georgia

1 hour ago, Wayfinder said:

@rideandfly @Mike and Carol I'm trying to find in these forums which size EZ Flex system goes on the Elite II.  Looks like there's a 33" and a 35".  When I measure from the center of my hubs, both sides, one side I get approx 33.5" and on the other size I get 34", probably another issue there, but that's later.  I'm not certain which size I need.  I'm right in the middle.

Any ideas or a better thread than this one?  I'm still searching.  Thanks.

Installed Dexter EZ Flex K71-653-00 on our LE2 several years ago. When I installed the EZ Flex another forum member had already installed this kit on his LE2. I have 5200lb axles, but don’t think that matters.

Installed a set of wet pins, bronze bushing, and shackles on another forum member’s LE1 several years ago, same ones used on the LE2, if I remember correctly. 

LE2

Thanks @rideandfly  I had finally JUST discovered this page too explaining how to measure the current equalizers, which I have not done yet as it's dark out.  LOL

I just needed some reassurance on size.  I'm looking at your suggestion on Amazon now.

Chris
2016 Legacy Elite II  o--o  Hull #110 o--o  Wayfinder  o--o  Twin Bed  o--o  2020 RAM 1500 Limited 5.7L 
Augusta, Georgia

19 minutes ago, Wayfinder said:

Thanks @rideandfly  I had finally JUST discovered this page too explaining how to measure the current equalizers, which I have not done yet as it's dark out.  LOL

I just needed some reassurance on size.  I'm looking at your suggestion on Amazon now.

It was several years since I installed this system. Easy to install, believe I bought the kit from Nick’s Truck Supply. Don’ know if they are still in business, but they had the best price at the time.

• Like 3

LE2

On 4/25/2023 at 4:16 PM, Wayfinder said:

I'm trying to find in these forums which size EZ Flex system goes on the Elite II.  Looks like there's a 33" and a 35".  When I measure from the center of my hubs, both sides, one side I get approx 33.5" and on the other size I get 34", probably another issue there, but that's later.  I'm not certain which size I need.  I'm right in the middle.

Likely you have already seen this video.  Of interest is that at 14:31, it shows the owner using never seize on the center bolt shank.  This was a change that was adopted a few years ago and is not shown in older DYI sources or O&M's.

One of the "Good/Bad" elements of the OTT OE2 Dexter Axle setups is the length of our springs.  They are not standard for the 3500 pound axles.  Here is what mine appear to be:

image.png.e4039fec7c74c2ee95899c262285b3dd.png

The good is that the tires are closer together and it causes less wear on the tires and makes turnng tight easier.  The bad is that the springs are not "common".   Here is what my EZ flex Info:

EZ-Flex Kit:                  Oliver uses the K71-653-00 Dexter EZ Flex kit.   (8,500 Capacity Version installed)

EXTREMELY IMPORTANT TO CHECK:  If OTT was  not using EZ flex devices on the vintage of your trailer, there is a possibility that your "Center Bolt" does not have splines on the nut end.  Another possible is that if it did have splines, that they were damaged by tightening the bolt/nut from the bolt side.  This will spin out those splines.  The splines are absolutely essential for "Fixing" (As in prevention of rotation) of the bolt head.  IF this is the case, it is essential that you "FIX" your bolt head.  This is a life safety issue that has scared the XXX out of myself twice and two other owners that have been documented.  There are a few ways to fix the bolt.  Using one of these is one of those solutions.  Search the forum for other solutions if you like.  I did for the better part of three years, and did not find any alternatives that met my safety and effectiveness concerns.   PM  if ???.

GJ                                      

Center Bolt Capture Washer Source:  Barnes 4WD  (828) 551-7616

image.png.d7f87de62e36abe617299ad666f34030.png

image.png.d7bb22a65dd0438b14dce9b02c66b914.png

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

On 4/26/2023 at 4:25 PM, Geronimo John said:

Likely you have already seen this video.  Of interest is that at 14:31, it shows the owner using never seize on the center bolt shank.  This was a change that was adopted a few years ago and is not shown in older DYI sources or O&M's.

Sorry @Geronimo John, which video are you referring to?  Maybe I'm blind and I don't see the link. 

thanks

Chris

Chris
Augusta, Georgia

20 hours ago, Wayfinder said:

Sorry @Geronimo John, which video are you referring to?  Maybe I'm blind and I don't see the link. 

Sorry about that.  The link got lost in my edit of the washer picture.  I have re-inserted it in my post above.  Thanks for the catch!

GJ

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

16 hours ago, Geronimo John said:

Sorry about that.  The link got lost in my edit of the washer picture.  I have re-inserted it in my post above.  Thanks for the catch!

GJ

Thanks @Geronimo John.  That's funny that you linked THAT video.  I watched that one just the other day.  eTrailer does a pretty good job with the vids.  

I'm wondering how many curse words that job will entail.  LOL

Take care!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Chris
Augusta, Georgia

Actually the process of installing an Ez-Flex is straight forward IF your splines are intact.  If the splines are not intact, or if your trailer does not have them.... then you MUST either:

1. Repair the splined flange hole by drilling out and heating to cherry.  Then using a special metal cutting punch an hydraulically forcing the punch into the flange to create matching splines.  A major PITA.
  2. Replace the tang and have a machine shop press in the splines.  Easier than Option 1.  But cost of welding and shop work is a consideration.  
  3. Do a home remedy using a polimer machinable repair compound such as made by Metalink.  Or use a ballpeen hammer to try to "tighten up" the flange.
  4. Spend three years like I did trying to figure out a better way to fix them.  In which case you'll using all the bad words you know AND creating some more.

The above options all have risks , costs, and time considerations.   OR  you could spend under $5 for two Hex Nut Capture Washers and have them welded in place.  See BackofBeyond post and GJ responses over time if you want the details.  

image.png.42207de16e08085b95cdacf0f75d9f4b.png

This past summer, Our Houston to Alaska and back trip logged over 12,000 miles and the Hex Head Capture Washer fix worked worry free.   

Full disclosures:  Every spring my bearing service now includes cleaning and recoating the two welds with sacrificial zinc spray paint.  So Option 5 is not totally maintenance free.  But I think I can handle it.  

GJ

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Geronimo John said:

So Option 5 is not totally maintenance free.  But I think I can handle it.  

Brilliant, brother!

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Oscar & Magnus (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit/2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 12VDC Starlink kit, 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo GX, SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller, & DC-DC Charger; HAM call-sign:  W0ABX