Tires?

routlaw

Do you folks increase the tire pressure at least in the rear while towing and if so by how much? I have always done this albeit not scientifically and there seems to be no end to the amount of conflicting information about this on the internet. Some people swear the front tires need to be increased also, but this makes no logical sense to me. Thus far I have increased my rears from the recommended 35 psi to 40-45 psi but leave the fronts at their normal rating. 

Finally my current set of tires have been on my F150 for 9 years now and still not worn out and visually look fine, with probably another 10-15,000 miles left on them. I figure I should replace now before camping and touring season starts up. I currently have the Michelin LTX M/S on, but considering the Cooper Discover AT3 AS4's. Anyone have experience with either or have another suggestion.

Thanks a bunch.

Legacy Elite II #70

Not necessaryily an answer to your tire pressure question, but my RAM truck tire pressure name plate indicates front: 55 psi and rear 45 psi.

I assume you have checked your name plate. Does your owner's manual say anything about tire pressure towing a trailer? Check with the Ford dealer on your first question.

When I buy new tires, I have always bought the Michelin tires. I like their ride and mileage life. Have never used the Cooper tires.

• Like 1

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2018 RAM 1500 Rebel 4 x 4, 5.7 Hemi, 3.92 gear ratio

Maine

The cold tire pressure listed on your door sticker should be calibrated to your GVW and rated axle weights, so there's no need to go over that unless your manual says otherwise. On my dually, I actually lower my rear tires slightly below the sticker pressure in the off-season - when I'm not towing or carrying cargo. I put them back up to the sticker pressure in the spring. If I don't do that they wear in the center of the tread from overinflation over the winter.

• Like 1

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.e6391b9064a3f8f0951751f985664135.jpg

• Moderators

I used to raise the pressure in the rear tires, but don’t anymore.  I’ve never raised the pressure in the tires on my current truck.  I’ve got about 15K miles towing so far and have noticed no unusual pressure changes while driving and towing.

I also had the Michelin LTX tires on a previous truck and liked them a lot.  I’m getting ready to change out the tires on my 2500 and am sure I will go with the Cooper AT3 XLT.  I put them on my trailer last January and I like them.  Why not have the truck and trailer match? 🤪. Mike

• Like 2

Texas Hill Country | Elite II #135 | Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

My door sticker for tire inflation states 35 psi front and back for normal use, but there is a nebulous area in the manual hinting at raising tire pressure when towing but doesn't state anything specific in terms of PSI. Like others comments here I have mostly bought Michelins too and the ones I currently have are really nice and quiet and smooth riding, however probably not the best for running around in the backroads of Utah and other areas of the SW where we like to travel to as often as possible thus the interest in the highly rated Cooper AT3's. FWIW I have used Coopers on other vehicles with excellent results but not the AT3's.

Thanks for the feedback.

Legacy Elite II #70

• Moderators

If the pressure in your tires raises much more than 10 degrees above ambient air temperature it is time to consider adding air.  However, you must take into consideration things like road surface (black asphalt is hotter than white concrete on a summer day), and, is the tire in direct sunlight.  Remember, for most general highway driving it is the heat in a tire that causes most damage to the internal structure of the tire.

Bill

• Like 3

2017 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"