Is my asking price for "Mouse" too high?

I need a reality price check, I have had four responses to my RV Trader and Craigslist ads, but none at all here, just best wishes, so thank you from my heart for those....,. In spite of posting "SERIOUS ENQUIRIES ONLY", all the responses were basically tire kickers. One guy was local and came by promptly and I spent 90 minutes showing it, he loved the frame, loved the NH toilet, loved the interior, loved everything about it, then he ghosted me. One guy connected just to tell me that the price was "full tilt".

I just now dropped the price by 5% to $$71,250 and now offer free delivery within 300 miles. I thought $75K was good, was I wrong? Please comment. This is a more than little frustrating. I wish the Ollie For Sale ads here showed the actual FINAL sale price, that would be EXTREMELY helpful! Are sellers actually getting what they originally ask?

Thank you,

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: 

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Travel Trailers for Sale
New Travel Trailers for Sale

Unfortunately, I think you're selling in a soft market. The COVID campers have had their fill, dealer lots are piling up, and prices for used RVs are dropping across the board. Of course, Ollies are something of a special case, being in a fairly exclusive niche. I wonder if it's your price, or just a dearth of prospective buyers right now. Hope you get the answers, or buyer, you're looking for, John. Personally, I'd love to have Mouse since I know it's been so meticulously cared for. Good luck.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 7

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

John, your price is right. I believe it's people who are not really familiar with Oliver and do not grasp/understand the value of all your mods!

• Thanks 1
  • Like 5

2023 Elite II, Hull# 1386, Lithium Platinum Package (640AH, 400W Solar, 3000W Xantrex Inverter)
Truma water heater & AC

TV: 2024 Silverado 2500HD 6.6L 10-Speed Allison

John, I know that you are not a Facebook fan, but there is a group specifically for Oliver Trailers for sale. I was on there last summer before we ordered our trailer, and there was a lot of activity from buyers and sellers. I don't know if that's still the case.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/OliverforSale

• Like 2

-----
Steve - Northern Ohio, USA
Wandering around on occasion, always lost.
2021 Toyota Land Cruiser - 2023 Oliver Elite II Twin Hull #1360 “Curiosity”
Facebook - Instagram

Camped in Curiosity = Green —— Visited with Curiosity = Gray

map.jpg.d9d6547ab1cd0cc5803e63d1a54214de.jpg

13 minutes ago, Steve Morris said:

John, I know that you are not a Facebook fan, but there is a group specifically for Oliver Trailers for sale. I was on there last summer before we ordered our trailer, and there was a lot of activity from buyers and sellers. I don't know if that's still the case.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/OliverforSale

Thanks. My wife has already posted an ad there for me, it has not received a lot of attention except for a couple of idiotic snide comments about the inward facing zerk fittings.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 3

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: 

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

John, I am truly sorry the health conditions are forcing the sell of Mouse.  You have been a great source of information on this forum. You have imparted and great deal of wisdom and innovations to the Oliver world.  To whoever get Mouse, they will get the best maintain Oliver on the market, with a lot of great innovations.  I hope you will still stay active on the forums.  I think your asking price, is right on.  The market is very soft right now with the being flood of stick built trailers,  the inflation, and unsure economy, I think people are a little gun shy.

You and your wife will be in my prayers.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4
  • Care 1

Early 1999 Ford F250 SD 7.3L Diesel 

2020 Elite II Twin -  Hull # 648

8 hours ago, John E Davies said:

I need a reality price check, I have had four responses to my RV Trader and Craigslist ads, but none at all here, just best wishes, so thank you from my heart for those....,. In spite of posting "SERIOUS ENQUIRIES ONLY", all the responses were basically tire kickers. One guy was local and came by promptly and I spent 90 minutes showing it, he loved the frame, loved the NH toilet, loved the interior, loved everything about it, then he ghosted me. One guy connected just to tell me that the price was "full tilt".

I just now dropped the price by 5% to $$71,250 and now offer free delivery within 300 miles. I thought $75K was good, was I wrong? Please comment. This is a more than little frustrating. I wish the Ollie For Sale ads here showed the actual FINAL sale price, that would be EXTREMELY helpful! Are sellers actually getting what they originally ask?

Thank you,

John Davies

Spokane WA

Hey John, I think the used RV market is getting flooded based on comments I'm seeing in various places on line. I think a good percentage of people entering the market for used right now are hoping for a bargain. That combined with a general lack of knowledge of the real value of an Oliver may leave a lot of otherwise interested folks scrolling past your adds. 

As we all know, the typical Oliver buyer is well researched, has a particular attraction to quality and is generally sold before they even see one. With the general slow down in RV sales I'm guessing the serious Oliver type buyer is a smaller percentage at the moment. On the other hand anyone that has their heart set on an Oliver and knows the price of the new ones should be particularly interested in yours. It may just be a waiting game for a longer period than one would have experienced a year ago. Knowing what I do about your camper, I think your price is quite reasonable. But the typical person entering the market at this time may not have that appreciation. 

If you can, I would recommend getting out and camping in it with a for sale sign on it. There's always a lot of curious folks at camp grounds that may step forward to learn more, and maybe be more than just curious. Just my thoughts. 

• Like 7

What's today?............. the most frequently asked question as a retiree 🙄

Chris and Stacie Neuhaus Greenfield, Indiana

2021 Ford F350 7.3L Tremor (Redzilla)

LE2 #1373 - Ordered 10/21/22 - Delivered 05/10/23

States Visited Map

• Moderators

Truth is, many people join the forum to see classified,  when they want to buy, and don't know the impeccable history of "mouse."  , because they haven't been long term members. An amazing Ollie.

They may buy one of the cheaper, unknown trailers, sans all the great upgrades, not as well maintained,  and wonder, gosh, I bought an Ollie, and.... (it leaks, windows are fogged, jacks don't all work, batteries need replaced, etc.) And, or, no solar, no lithium, etc etc.

I personally wouldn't hesitate buy yours, and travel cross country for it. And after purchase, tow it anywhere in North America. 

Well documented. Supetlativly maintained. 

Go anywhere,  and no worries. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 10

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Actual age, with our ollies, is pretty much meaningless, if properly maintained. 

Mine is 16 seasons young, and no one believes it's true age. 

It's all about the owners devotion to care. Yours is quantified, and verifiable. 

• Like 5
  • Wow 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

We bought our Olliver just 5 weeks ago. We went to see it solely because it is so unique, and after selling our Bigfoot Class-C I thought we should instead buy a lite TT for the seasonal camping we do. Ours was priced quite a bit less than your asking price, and even so, I thought, "no way we're buying this, spending over $50K on any TT! We always joked about the $100K AS TTs we would see at campsites. Thought, why do people like these and spend so much money?

Then ours was for-sale locally. We liked the owner who is respected in the community, it appeared well maintained and had the features we required (solar, inverter, mega Ah battery bank, Sat dish, etc.). With a little research, it appeared if we passed on this, we would have to research online and long-distance and likely not do any better. The prior owner even dropped off our Oliver, parked it in our RV space and connected the shore power! LOL

I rarely buy new, when good used is available. Like I've bought over 50 used cars or trucks in my life, and I can only remember buying 4 new cars. Would not have a custom home built, though prefer to find the perfect old house on a beautiful property, even if it will require 100s of hours of my own effort.  I would prefer to spend less used and provide the M&R work myself. But that's me, as I have the tools and skillsets. However, I'm an odd-ball and I realize 90% of people buy new, especially at this price point, and "call the guy" when service is required.

One suggestion is to simplify your ad. Write up only the big options and improvements and less of the little ones (e.g. the Zerks). I write like you do, but I see the guys who sell vehicles in 1-2 days, writing little to nothing in their ads. I had a party overlook my Bigfoot, because as he said, "We're looking for something more original" (the guy had no understanding of RVs.) While I had completely rebuilt the Ford suspension, did all maintenance replacing all fluids, belts, hoses etc. on an 18-year-old rig.  Designed, sourced and installed a solar-inverter-battery system from scratch, new large-screen A/V system, new AC, 2 new fantastic fans where they had vents and no power, and the list went on-and-on! I had volumes of posts on their BOCI Forum, 8 pages alone on my solar upgrade project. Yep, over-modified for some. The man who bought our unit low-balled me and he was not at all interested in upgrades I had made. I did OK, but lost some money since he did not see value in the upgrades. I thought, how long to our next offer. I got him up $1500 and we ended up $4500 under my asking price.

In seeing your ad, understanding the perfection of your unit, I thought this... It must be worth it (as others here have confirmed). Given prospective buyers with available cash for such a considerable purchase, would these buyers prefer to spend $75K for an extremely well-maintained unit, or go directly to OTT and buy a new one for $100K, while enjoying the new-buyer experience, having the warranty and manufacturer support? Buy new? Or save a lot buying one that will likely need work. Your Ollie sits in the middle. And this creates a very small market niche for your unit, and it will take time. My Bigfoot was on the market 5 months and the dollar loss upon offer seemed better than waiting another month or more. Best wishes and GLWTS!

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

I'm not sure about the right price: it's what a buyer is willing to pay and a seller is willing to accept.  However, I do have a comment about used trailers.

Yes, a new-trailer warranty is nice and reassuring.  And there is no doubt that Oliver has a solid parts and service team which, in my experience, is very willing to help. 

However, there is also something to be said for a pre-owned trailer from an owner that has truly used the trailer, conscientiously fixed what needs fixing, improved what needs improving.  

We bought ours new, but spent more time than I expected troubleshooting and fixing things in the first year.  We replaced interior lights (Oliver provided new ones), the inverter (after Xantrex gave up trying to guide me in repairing it), the radio (which Oliver graciously replaced), the table (which cracked apart where mounted in brackets to the wall), and updated battery firmware.  We had Oliver repair a few minor fiberglass blemishes and straighten out the rubber strips between body and frame after a year of ownership.  In addition, we installed a see-through door window, made and installed mudflats, installed rain gutters over the windows, etc.  

John has done much, much more to his trailer, and by all reports, has done (and documented) it very, very well.  This, in my mind, creates value.

My point is this: a new trailer with full warranty is good, but there's also substantial value in a trailer that has been fully road-tested, fixed, upgraded, and is really, truly, "ready-to-use."  

Fritz

• Thanks 3
  • Like 6

2021 Oliver LE2
Ram 2500 diesel

• Moderators
40 minutes ago, Fritz said:

My point is this: a new trailer with full warranty is good, but there's also substantial value in a trailer that has been fully road-tested, fixed, upgraded, and is really, truly, "ready-to-use."  

I agree 100%.  We had some issues our first couple of years.  Once we got those corrected it’s been smooth sailing since.  Things still need to be tightened, lubed, adjusted or replaced but that’s to be expected because we tow and camp all around the country.  Mike

• Like 4

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

9 minutes ago, Mike and Carol said:

Things still need to be tightened, lubed, adjusted or replaced but that’s to be expected because we tow and camp all around the country.

Having owned sailboats, motorboats, airplanes, and now TT's - we've learned that maintenance schedules should be developed, maintained, and executed.  Otherwise, having such toys becomes the proverbial "hole in the water, air, or ground" that you're just throwing money into without benefit.

Cheers to the Ollie Family!

• Like 5

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca"
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

ALAZARCOIDLAMSMTNMOKTNTXUTWYsm.jpg

On 7/13/2023 at 6:06 PM, jd1923 said:

One suggestion is to simplify your ad. Write up only the big options and improvements and less of the little ones (e.g. the Zerks).

John,

I think this may be a good point — your best buyer will know what they’re doing, but new owners may not. 

I believe you can reorganize your ad to make it clear that your Oliver has been meticulously cared for, and upgraded — and perhaps mention up front about the “many extras and fully documented…”  and put all the details at the bottom, or offer on request. 

I am a geek when it comes to keeping documentation of work and service done. To sell my 16 year old Volvo with over 200,000 miles on it, I advertised  “meticulously maintained, ALL Service Records available, original clutch” and it sold in less than a week — to THAT guy who was also a geek for maintenance and knew it would last another 100,000 plus miles. 

Hey — Did it sell?! 
Congratulations if so. 

• Like 1

Oliver Elite II Twin (delivered 3/28/2022)   Tow Vehicle: Chevy Silverado 2500HD diesel "Estrella"

2024.04.29 - ALAZARCOFLGAIAKSKYLAMONENMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYBBBBBBsm.jpg