Newbies taking the plunge - Are we missing anything

I think we have good news.
Having poured some scented grey tank cleaner in, 24 hours later we have a mild laundry-soap-scented odor in the same place.
So, one way or the other, I'm pretty convinced we are getting a whiff of our grey tank.
Thanks for everyone's attention and hand holding.  Much appreciated. 😀

• Like 4

2024 OLEII - Hull MDIV, born 3/13/24

Ram 1500  5.7L 8 cyl hemi, 4wd, max tow, air shocks, 6’4” box, crew cab

visited-united-states-map.png

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Travel Trailers for Sale
View Inventory

I recommend you check your vent stack in the closet and below the decks.  You should not be selling smelling anything.  

GJ

Edited by Geronimo John
Serious typo! LOL. GJ
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

• Moderators
15 hours ago, Dennis and Melissa said:

Having poured some scented grey tank cleaner in, 24 hours later we have a mild laundry-soap-scented odor in the same place.

11 hours ago, Geronimo John said:

You should not be selling anything.  

AS GJ says above - you should not be smelling anything.

Read the directions on the grey tank cleaner that you bought and be thinking along the lines of really cleaning that tank.  Also, when you have a few minutes to get under the galley sink, re-read my first post in this thread since it appears highly likely that you have this problem.  Note that this is probably not an ongoing problem.  I've only had to "un-stick" that valve once in going on nine years of Ollie travel.

Bill

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Near Asheville, NC

• Moderators

Take a look at the last pic in THIS post.  

It shows the vent stack and the top of the valve I mentioned in my first post in this thread.

Remember - light taps with a hammer is all that should be needed to re-seat that valve.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Near Asheville, NC

On 3/26/2024 at 8:15 AM, topgun2 said:

If you need it - see Mike's post above this one - then watch several of the YouTube video's out there referencing the Andersen.  Also, know that it does get MUCH easier the more you work with it and understand what you should do in the varying situations.  There are also a bunch of posts here on the Forum about working with the Andersen.

Even though our Ollies do not sway and even if you don't think that you need the Andersen, please be aware that if you are towing with a 1/2 ton (or similar) vehicle the manufacturers of those vehicles call for a weight distribution hitch.  Given that, if you decide to not use this Andersen then you will subject yourself to liability in the event of an accident where you are not using it.

Once you know how to use the Andersen, it really isn't a big deal to hookup and detach (99% of the time).  Invariably, that 1% happens when you are in a rush, its raining, its cold, you're not happy (for various reasons) and/or you are (or have to) hookup at an angle much different from the angle at which you unhooked.

Take your time - it will get better.

Bill

p.s.  put the info below as your signature and you will not have to do it again.  Also, it will tend to get you better and quicker info if you need help in the future.

As usual...very good advice.  It does get easier the more you use it.  We usually remove the Andersen chains (and whale tail) and stow in the truck any time we stop for 2 nights or more, so we get plenty of practice connecting and disconnecting :)  

John

• Like 1

Oliver II #996 "Bessie", 2019 Silverado LTZ 5.3, Veterans

https://wenandjohnsadventure.com/

Another good Andersen day.  Took two tries.  I'm calling that a win.

In other news:

1) After yesterday's spectacular hike on the cliff trail, I drove 10 miles through Del Water Gap with my tailgate down.  :classic_sad: But NOTHING fell out.  This is the first plus from our dramatic overpacking.  Things are so crammed in there I don't even need the tailgate! 😏

2) We got a drawer stuck.  I was able to slide a ladle in, push down on the offending dish, and get it to open.  But this is the second time I wish I knew how to remove the drawers.  Now that we have wifi, I'll go take a peek in Oliver U.

3) 4 days in Worthington State Park with no hookups, we used half our fresh water, half our grey tank (of course), maybe 1/3 a tank of propane, and left with 50% charge in our batteries (it was cloudy almost the whole time).  That confirms my suspicion that fresh water is what will limit anything we do that approaches boondocking.  (And I was using the campground shower.  DW, refused cuz it was stinky.)  And I now know that our major electric draws (beside the AC) are: jacks, microwave, hair drier, water pump.  TV, radio, fridge and lights are almost nothing by comparison.

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, Dennis and Melissa said:

Another good Andersen day.  Took two tries.  I'm calling that a win.

In other news:

1) After yesterday's spectacular hike on the cliff trail, I drove 10 miles through Del Water Gap with my tailgate down.  :classic_sad: But NOTHING fell out.  This is the first plus from our dramatic overpacking.  Things are so crammed in there I don't even need the tailgate! 😏

2) We got a drawer stuck.  I was able to slide a ladle in, push down on the offending dish, and get it to open.  But this is the second time I wish I knew how to remove the drawers.  Now that we have wifi, I'll go take a peek in Oliver U.

3) 4 days in Worthington State Park with no hookups, we used half our fresh water, half our grey tank (of course), maybe 1/3 a tank of propane, and left with 50% charge in our batteries (it was cloudy almost the whole time).  That confirms my suspicion that fresh water is what will limit anything we do that approaches boondocking.  (And I was using the campground shower.  DW, refused cuz it was stinky.)  And I now know that our major electric draws (beside the AC) are: jacks, microwave, hair drier, water pump.  TV, radio, fridge and lights are almost nothing by comparison.

Excellent situation report - thanks for sharing!

• Thanks 1

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca"
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

ALAZARCOIDLAMSMTNMOKTNTXUTWYsm.jpg

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Dennis and Melissa said:

2) We got a drawer stuck.  I was able to slide a ladle in, push down on the offending dish, and get it to open.  But this is the second time I wish I knew how to remove the drawers.

If your drawers now open without trouble, it’s a good time to practice taking them out. Before you begin, a word of caution is needed!  The edges of the metal portion of the drawer slides are very sharp, so be careful.  Also take the time and unload the drawer you want to remove, it will make everything that follows easier to complete.    
Only 5 of our drawers come out, the exception being the one under the sink.  So pick any of the other drawers and slide it all the out until it stops.  Now put your thumbs inside the drawer on each side close to the front of the drawer and your fingers outside with the tips of your fingers under the bottom of the drawer.  Now you should be able to feel the release for the drawer slide and squeeze the tips of your fingers to the outside of the drawer on both sides and slide the drawer out of the drawer slides.  Dang if that paragraph doesn't have a lot of drawers in it!

Or just get on the floor and slide a drawer out and you will see the orange handles that you will squeeze to remove the drawer.

Good luck,

Mossey

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

5 minutes ago, mossemi said:

If your drawers now open without trouble, it’s a good time to practice taking them out. Before you begin, a word of caution is needed!  The edges of the metal portion of the drawer slides are very sharp, so be careful.  Also take the time and unload the drawer you want to remove, it will make everything that follows easier to complete.    
Only 5 of our drawers come out, the exception being the one under the sink.  So pick any of the other drawers and slide it all the out until it stops.  Now put your thumbs inside the drawer on each side close to the front of the drawer and your fingers outside with the tips of your fingers under the bottom of the drawer.  Now you should be able to feel the release for the drawer slide and squeeze the tips of your fingers to the outside of the drawer on both sides and slide the drawer out of the drawer slides.  Dang if that paragraph doesn't have a lot of drawers in it!

Or just get on the floor and slide a drawer out and you will see the orange handles that you will squeeze to remove the drawer.

Good luck,

Mossey

Best instructions yet Mike. 👍🏻

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR”

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor 

North Carolina 🇺🇸

IMG_2879.jpeg

15 hours ago, mossemi said:

Good luck,

Mossey

Found the orange handles AND decoded the dance steps 🤣
TYVM.  Works perfectly.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

We are on full hookups for a couple of days.
Is there a way to keep the grey tank drain open without leaving the garage door open?

5 minutes ago, Dennis and Melissa said:

Is there a way to keep the grey tank drain open without leaving the garage door open?

We found that you can crack it partially open until it just taps the inside of the basement door. This seems to keep up with accumulation. I know that some owners have opened a hole in the door to allow full opening of the handle.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

-----
Steve - Northern Ohio, USA
Wandering around on occasion, always lost.
2021 Toyota Land Cruiser - 2023 Oliver Elite II Twin Hull #1360 “Curiosity”
Facebook - Instagram

Camped in Curiosity = Green —— Visited with Curiosity = Gray

map.jpg

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, Dennis and Melissa said:

I like to keep the grey tank closed so when I am ready to dump the black tank, I can use the grey water to flush the hose.  I like to have about 75% grey when I dump black.  If you have a composting toilet, this method does not apply.

Mossey

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, mossemi said:

I like to keep the grey tank closed so when I am ready to dump the black tank, I can use the grey water to flush the hose.  I like to have about 75% grey when I dump black.

Same here.  We keep it closed until dump time.  Mike

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

49 minutes ago, mossemi said:

I like to keep the grey tank closed so when I am ready to dump the black tank, I can use the grey water to flush the hose.  

Same for us.  We have found we do not need to dump the gray tank more often than every 2 days or so, even with showers, so it takes little time away from our camping adventures.  We usually dump the black tank first regardless of its level, then flush with the gray tank contents.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 5

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

1 hour ago, Mike and Carol said:

Same here.  We keep it closed until dump time.  Mike

X2 a best practice!
That gray tank provides a nice soapy rinse.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 5

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR”

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor 

North Carolina 🇺🇸

IMG_2879.jpeg

• Moderator+
2 hours ago, Dennis and Melissa said:

My door will close with either valve open.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

On 4/15/2024 at 9:08 AM, Steve Morris said:

We found that you can crack it partially open until it just taps the inside of the basement door. This seems to keep up with accumulation. I know that some owners have opened a hole in the door to allow full opening of the handle.

Since we are a NH team, we tried this.  And it seemed to work.
Our next stop is 10 days on full hookups, during which I'll also try closing the drain for most of the day.
We'll see which is better for us.
Thanks, all.

P.S. Another Andersen success today.  That's three in a row.  So, I'm gonna stop mentioning it unless I fail again.  And that's a very welcome silence y'all will be hearing. 😀

• Like 2

• Moderators
38 minutes ago, Dennis and Melissa said:

Another Andersen success today.  That's three in a row.

Congrats!

I seem to recall at least a couple of Forum members advising you to stick with the process and things would get better.  It looks like you are over the big hurdle.  However, be warned, don't let the success go to your head.  These things seem to be able to pick a great spot to act up.😇

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Near Asheville, NC

13 hours ago, topgun2 said:

Congrats!

I seem to recall at least a couple of Forum members advising you to stick with the process and things would get better.  It looks like you are over the big hurdle.  However, be warned, don't let the success go to your head.  These things seem to be able to pick a great spot to act up.😇

LOL.  For sure.

The handholding was very much appreciated.  We are still very seriously considering changing our truck.  (Either airbag suspension or Andersen.  Not both.) But that won't be until at least next year.

Now I'm off to wander around my next National Park: Shenandoah for 10 days.  And that's the whole reason I bought this thing.  So the plan is working!

• Like 4

On 4/15/2024 at 6:02 AM, Dennis and Melissa said:

We are with the folks that recommended not doing this, in particular if you don’t have a composting toilet.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

Hull #364 - The Roadrunner 

2023 F350 CCLB SRW 6.7L

ALAKAZARCACOFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMSMO

2 hours ago, Wandering Sagebrush said:

We are with the folks that recommended not doing this, in particular if you don’t have a composting toilet.

I second that recommendation.  Wait until it's maybe 75% full.

John

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

We just watched your video during lunch. You can see how happy you are with the new trailer. I wish I could get Deb to commit to 100 nights a year! We were just 44 last year, and looking at 45-60 this year as of now. She's an avid gardener, and the best travel time is also her favorite time of the year in the yard.

It looks like you're headed to the rally, so we hope to meet you there. We're on E-23. If you'd like, add yourselves to the list I'm collecting of attendees at:

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

-----
Steve - Northern Ohio, USA
Wandering around on occasion, always lost.
2021 Toyota Land Cruiser - 2023 Oliver Elite II Twin Hull #1360 “Curiosity”
Facebook - Instagram

Camped in Curiosity = Green —— Visited with Curiosity = Gray

map.jpg