Atwood CO detector alarmed

Patriot

During our present trip touring the (4) gorgeous Colorado NP’s and a few Service Parks our Atwood CO/LP detector started alarming and would not reset.
Of course it alarmed in the middle of the night. 😄 I removed the detector and saw that it had a manufacture date of 2018. We took delivery of our new OLE2 in June of 2020. So our Atwood detector was actually 5 years old. I called Oliver and asked about purchasing/shipping me a replacement. Mike Sharpe said they are no longer installing the Atwood’s and Oliver is now installing RV Safe model #RVCOLP-2W CO/LP detectors. 

So not wanting to go a day longer without a detector I opted to just buy local and made a call to a local RV dealer in Montrose CO. They said they had plenty on hand. I swapped out the old Atwood and installed the RV Safe and we are back in business with no alarms. The new RV Safe detector comes with a choice of  (2) backing plates. So Pro tip- If you have to replace the old Atwood use the larger backer plate that comes with the RV Safe detector as it will take cover the hole in the hull wall under the dinette that the Atwood required. It’s a pretty straight forward clean install. 
Onward!! 
Patriot🇺🇸

IMG_9945.thumb.jpeg.2ae438ec06ae074a6dd734cf2ae6fe11.jpegIMG_9944.thumb.jpeg.a5af691cb0c73e081a2e1459dbeba2cb.jpeg

• Thanks 3
  • Like 6

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor 

IMG_2879.jpeg

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory

@Patriot:  Sano install, brother!  Enjoy your time in the Rockies - beautiful time of the year to explore them.  Stay safe and press on, regardless!

• Thanks 1

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo S GX, Other Victron Stuff: SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller,  DC-DC Charger, 12VDC Starlink kit, and Alcan 5-pack Leaf Springs
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

39 minutes ago, MAX Burner said:

@Patriot:  Sano install, brother!  Enjoy your time in the Rockies - beautiful time of the year to explore them.  Stay safe and press on, regardless!

Thanks Max! This has been an incredible trip. Wolf Creek Pass yesterday was just beautiful! 🇺🇸🇺🇸

• Like 2

IMG_2879.jpeg

23 hours ago, Patriot said:

I removed the detector and saw that it had a manufacture date of 2018. We took delivery of our new OLE2 in June of 2020.

Thanks for he heads up, need to check the date on our 2020 OLEll, 579!

• Like 1

2020 OLEll, Twin, 579

2012 Silverado 1500 4x4

No installed solar, Renogy 40A DC-DC charger, 460Ah LFP battery bank/Victron SmartShunt

We had a brief false alarm while in Fruita, CO last week.also in the middle of the night. We have the RV Safe model and the fault cleared quickly. Maybe the air there is different! lol

• Haha 2

Robert and Cheryl, Louisville, KY, Legacy Elite II Hull #1390 Oliphino, TV F250 Tremor

• Moderators
On 10/10/2023 at 10:48 AM, Patriot said:

RV Safe model #RVCOLP-2W CO/LP detectors

Thanks Patriot!

Straight to Amazon, then to basket and soon to my door.

Bill

• Like 3

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

That is a great detector. I am sorry to see that exploded Northern Light, I like those campers, but not the stick interior so much.

IMG_4750.thumb.webp.e70cd135abb35b4291a876724dfac28d.webp

https://olivertraveltrailers.com/forums/topic/6780-how-to-replace-the-propane-co-detector-with-a-gas-only-one-and-a-digital-co-detector/

But the LED is uber bright and needs to be dimmed if you don’t want the underside of your table lit up….

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

This might be a good place to bring back an older thread concerning the installation of a mod for the purpose of TEMPORILY stopping that noise in the middle of the night from these "false" alarms.

At about the same time John Davies and I installed a switch on the back side of the propane/co alarm.  This simple on/off switch can be used to turn this alarm off in the middle of the night without having to search for the fuse and can be used while the Ollie is in storage to remove one more parasitic drain off the batteries.  John came up with the idea of being sure to place a ribbon (or something) in a very visible spot to remind you that you have turned this detector off - a good idea.  Anyway - here is mine and JD's looks very similar.  The power wire to the propane detector is cut and placed on a switch that is mounted in the hole in the bracket.  I used epoxy to attach the bracket to the interior of the wall below the aft dinette seat - where the detector is already located.

Bill

2 inch square bracket for propane switch.jfif

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

3 hours ago, topgun2 said:

This might be a good place to bring back an older thread concerning the installation of a mod for the purpose of TEMPORILY stopping that noise in the middle of the night from these "false" alarms.

At about the same time John Davies and I installed a switch on the back side of the propane/co alarm.  This simple on/off switch can be used to turn this alarm off in the middle of the night without having to search for the fuse and can be used while the Ollie is in storage to remove one more parasitic drain off the batteries.  John came up with the idea of being sure to place a ribbon (or something) in a very visible spot to remind you that you have turned this detector off - a good idea.  Anyway - here is mine and JD's looks very similar.  The power wire to the propane detector is cut and placed on a switch that is mounted in the hole in the bracket.  I used epoxy to attach the bracket to the interior of the wall below the aft dinette seat - where the detector is already located.

Bill

2 inch square bracket for propane switch.jfif 246.65 kB · 0 downloads

Bill:

This sound like a good idea, but I am not sure if I follow your explaination of where/how the switch is located other than you siad it was next to the detector. Mine detector is 5 years old so I am not sure how much longer the detector will work without premature alarms. 

Do you have a picture of the detector/switch seen from under the dinette that  you could post?

Thanks

• Like 1

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine 

• Moderators
41 minutes ago, dewdev said:

Do you have a picture of the detector/switch seen from under the dinette that  you could post?

The picture I posted is from under the aft dinette seat between the hulls - there is nothing at all to see from the seating area under the dinette.

In the picture I posted - the "white" area that is behind the aluminum switch holder is actually looking through the hole of the propane/co alarm from the inside to the outside area under the dinette.

Sorry but I don't have any other pics of the "full" installation which would show the actual switch.  However, the switch is simply mounted in that hole you can see in the aluminum mount.

Hope this helps.

Bill

p.s.  here is a better pic taken from JD's post on the subject:

IMG_3747.JPG.f0a9073843090b16e65a3eb78b958c92.JPG

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

"This simple on/off switch can be used to turn this alarm off in the middle of the night without having to search for the fuse "

Is there a fuse to shut off when having false alarms. Our sensor is "good" until 2027 but we way too often get false alarms.

2022 Oliver Legacy Elite II, Hull 1242, 9/26/22

Lithium Platinum Power/Solar Package

Tow with Supercrew Cab 2019 F-150 4 x4, 5.0L 4-Valve V8 with 3.73 axle ratio & 157" wheelbase.

F-150 GCWR of 16,900 lbs with maximum load trailer of 11,500 lbs.

11 hours ago, Ronbrink said:

Thanks for he heads up, need to check the date on our 2020 OLEll, 579!

Ron,

Please post up when you find out the date on your alarm. 
Thanks!

IMG_2879.jpeg

• Moderators
11 hours ago, Gliddenwoods said:

Is there a fuse to shut off when having false alarms. Our sensor is "good" until 2027 but we way too often get false alarms.

Yes, there is a fuse on the wire(s) leading away from where the wires come out of the back of the propane detector.

The purpose of the switch is that it is a bunch easier to find this switch at "zero dark thirty" than it is to find that fuse and dismantle it when you are still half asleep, the alarm is going off and your significant other is yelling.

Bill

p.s. It should go without saying that in the event anyone decides to deactivate this alarm via either a switch or via the removal of the fuse, they should first determine that there is no actual leak.  And, either the fuse should be replaced in its original position and/or the switch turned back to the "on" position as soon as possible.  Failure to do this could be extremely detrimental to your health.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, topgun2 said:

the alarm is going off and your significant other is yelling.

I get it, happens often in the house when the smoke detector batteries are low. I always know when I’m in trouble when called out by my birth name, followed by “you can’t hear that?”. Okay, it’s just a high pitched chirp, but the hearing ain’t what it used to be! 

36 minutes ago, topgun2 said:

they should first determine that there is no actual leak.

Thanks for the p.s.; regardless of how annoying the situation, the threat assessment is paramount to one’s safety and well-being.

• Like 2

2020 OLEll, Twin, 579

2012 Silverado 1500 4x4

No installed solar, Renogy 40A DC-DC charger, 460Ah LFP battery bank/Victron SmartShunt

17 hours ago, topgun2 said:

The picture I posted is from under the aft dinette seat between the hulls

Things must have moved in recent years. In our 2023 EII, the detector is attached to the aft face of the forward dinette seat. And the fuse is under the street side bed, tucked way up front toward the aisle, almost under the pantry. It was 3AM for us the first night we owned the trailer when that obnoxious wail occured. OTT replaced it the next morning just in case it was a bad unit.

• Wow 2

-----
Steve - Northern Ohio, USA
Wandering around on occasion, always lost.
2021 Toyota Land Cruiser - 2023 Oliver Elite II Twin Hull #1360 “Curiosity”
Facebook - Instagram

Camped in Curiosity = Green —— Visited with Curiosity = Gray

map.jpg

• Moderators
36 minutes ago, Steve Morris said:

Things must have moved in recent years. In our 2023 EII, the detector is attached to the aft face of the forward dinette seat.

No problem - your location makes the situation even more interesting at 3am!😁 

But, the switch mod is basically the same.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, topgun2 said:

The picture I posted is from under the aft dinette seat between the hulls - there is nothing at all to see from the seating area under the dinette.

In the picture I posted - the "white" area that is behind the aluminum switch holder is actually looking through the hole of the propane/co alarm from the inside to the outside area under the dinette.

Sorry but I don't have any other pics of the "full" installation which would show the actual switch.  However, the switch is simply mounted in that hole you can see in the aluminum mount.

Hope this helps.

Bill

p.s.  here is a better pic taken from JD's post on the subject:

IMG_3747.JPG.f0a9073843090b16e65a3eb78b958c92.JPG

Thanks Bill.

The switch looks like a simple toggle type of switch. What type of switch is that and where can it be bought? 

Maine 

• Moderators

You can get the type that JD used HERE.  But any single pole 12 volt switch will do - I used one like THIS that I bought at WalMart.

Bill

Edited by topgun2
spelling
  • Like 2

On 10/11/2023 at 9:02 PM, topgun2 said:

Straight to Amazon, then to basket and soon to my door.

Same here!  Maybe need to add an LED "diffuser tab" as JD mentions...

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo S GX, Other Victron Stuff: SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller,  DC-DC Charger, 12VDC Starlink kit, and Alcan 5-pack Leaf Springs
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

On 10/12/2023 at 11:40 AM, Steve Morris said:

In our 2023 EII, the detector is attached to the aft face of the forward dinette seat. And the fuse is under the street side bed, tucked way up front toward the aisle, almost under the pantry

Mine (2022 E2) is the same layout as yours. I have not switched off the fuse. 

Oliver Elite II Twin (delivered 3/28/2022)   Tow Vehicle: Chevy Silverado 2500HD diesel "Estrella"

ALARCOFLGAIAKSKYLAMONENDOKSDTNTXWYCCCCCC

My 2018 Elite II has a Atwood CO/Propane detector that has a 2016 date printed on it. Although the Atwood has not been alarming, I am going to replace it any way before that happens and have ordered the new RV Safe detector from Amazon.

Hopefully Amazon does not have old detectors in their stock. I will be checking its date when it arrives next week.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Maine 

• Moderators
48 minutes ago, dewdev said:

Hopefully Amazon does not have old detectors in their stock. I will be checking its date when it arrives next week.

The propane/CO detector I received earlier this week from Amazon had a MFG date of May, 2023.

Bill

• Like 2