Oliver batteries not charging with generator

It does sound like the generator cannot supply enough power to satisfy the amount of current needed to charge the batteries.  The breaker setting is a good place to start as mentioned above.  There is also another setting, #24 (charger current)  that allows you to adjust the amount of current allowed to charge your batteries.  For lithium batteries I believe the setting is 150 amps.  You can try changing that value to something lower ( as a test ) to see if that helps, you can try something really low like 10 amps as a test.

• Like 2

Tom & Doreen • 2023 Elite ll • Hull #1321 • 2023 Tundra Platinum Crew Max • Cheshire CT 

States1.jpg

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory

Okay we turned off the EMS and it is charging with the generator. Okay so what does that mean? How do I fix this for the future. I trust the generator is okay. Is there a reset for the surge protector?

Explore, Dream, Discover

Christi, Matt & Lucy

2022 Legacy Elite II, TB

Hull # 1261

2019 F150 Limited

I don't even have an app for the inverter. Is this something I  need to get?

Explore, Dream, Discover

Christi, Matt & Lucy

2022 Legacy Elite II, TB

Hull # 1261

2019 F150 Limited

30 minutes ago, chiwald said:

I don't even have an app for the inverter. Is this something I  need to get?

I have an Iphone but it should be the same for an Android. Search "FXC Control" in apple store or google play,

ANDROID USERS

APPLE USERS
Download the Xantrex FXC App at: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/fxc-control/id1484424847

download the app then follow this video to connect it to your Xantrex remote display.

Edited by rich.dev
added links to download FXC App

2023 Elite II, Hull# 1386, Lithium Platinum Package (640AH, 400W Solar, 3000W Xantrex Inverter)
Truma water heater & AC

TV: 2024 Silverado 2500HD 6.6L 10-Speed Allison

Will this app correct my issue and allow me to turn the EMS back on?

Explore, Dream, Discover

Christi, Matt & Lucy

2022 Legacy Elite II, TB

Hull # 1261

2019 F150 Limited

I do not have the type of Xantrex inverter/charger you have so I am not an expert.

But what I have read on this Forum for quite awhile now is that it looks to me like you need to change the charger current setting.  Tom and Doreen and rich.dev in the posts above explains what setting to change.

if you have cell phone service where you are, I would download the app now and try changing the charger current setting as they suggest. Then try the generator again with the EMS turned on. Hopefully that will work. Do NOT forget to put the setting back to here it was when you are hooked up to shore power. Write down the existing setting before changing it so you do not forget the initial setting.

If all else false, contat Xantrex (or Oliver) on Monday. 

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

• Like 2

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine 

If you turned the EMS off and you're now charging correctly you may want to investigate why your EMS is preventing your generator from supplying power.  Possibly a problem with the EMS itself or there could be truly something wrong with your generator output.  By turning your EMS off you will no longer be protected from AC line problems.  Is it possible that you could borrow a external power watchdog to test the output of your generator? powerwatchdog.jpg.00897a005d91a6dfa6380f97767ad99e.jpg

• Thanks 1

Tom & Doreen • 2023 Elite ll • Hull #1321 • 2023 Tundra Platinum Crew Max • Cheshire CT 

States1.jpg

1 hour ago, Tom and Doreen said:

It does sound like the generator cannot supply enough power to satisfy the amount of current needed to charge the batteries. 

Good reading info!   One item to make sure is that all other loads, such as water heater, A/C, microwave are OFF.  This will allow you to adjust the charge setting to a level consistent with a max RUNNING (Not surge) amps of your generator.

18 minutes ago, Tom and Doreen said:

If you turned the EMS off and you're now charging correctly you may want to investigate why your EMS is preventing your generator from supplying power

It would do that if your grounding plug (Technically a grounded neutral plug) is defective.  If there are other RV's in the area, ask to momently borrow their Grounded neutral plug for a quick test.

Geronimo John

PS:  The fancy one displayed above is nothing but a regular 120V plug with a jumper wire inside it from the ground wire terminal to the neutral terminal.  Most of us buy a $5 plug and make our own.  

Edited by Geronimo John
Added PS
  • Like 3

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

If you hear clicking like the batteries are trying to charge and then it shuts off and resets everything, then you will have two issues.  One is grounding.  Looks like someone already mentioned the required grounding plug.  The other is the charge controller is pulling too much power.  It has to be reset.

• Like 3

2014 Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel 4X4 Truck

2024 Oliver Legacy Elite II Hull 1460

ARILINIAKSKYLAMIMNMONMOHOKPASDTNTXVAmed.

3 hours ago, chiwald said:

I don't think that's it because our inverter works and the breaker was not tripped. I think it has something to do with the transfer relay. When the generator is plugged in the The transfer relay keeps trying to switch back and forth and no charging is happening

You definitely want to submit a service ticket to Oliver, and provide everything you have shared.

support@olivertraveltrailers.com

You will get an immediate response back with a ticket. Oliver will follow up pretty quickly on Monday.

• Like 3

John & Susan Dorrer, 2013 F250, 6.2 gasser, 4x4, 2022 Legacy Elite 2, twin beds, Hull #1045, Jolli Olli

-ALARCOIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMAMIMNMSMOMTNENHNY

• Moderators

Glad you got it working and a big THANKS to all that got on board trying to help a fellow owner - that is what "family" is all about.

Again, sorry I had to run earlier but you were in good hands with all that came to your aid.

Bill

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Yes, this is a GREAT BIG WONDERFUL FAMILY!!  Thank you everyone for all of your input and advice. And for responding so quickly. Our batteries are at 80% and will be fine until we get home tomorrow. I will contact Oliver on Tuesday.

• Like 1

Explore, Dream, Discover

Christi, Matt & Lucy

2022 Legacy Elite II, TB

Hull # 1261

2019 F150 Limited

2 minutes ago, chiwald said:

Yes, this is a GREAT BIG WONDERFUL FAMILY!!  Thank you everyone for all of your input and advice. And for responding so quickly. Our batteries are at 80% and will be fine until we get home tomorrow. I will contact Oliver on Tuesday.

Excellent! Glad you are able to finish your trip. My gut feeling is you have a bad EMS unit. OTT should get you straightened out. 

• Like 1

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

47 minutes ago, Steph and Dud B said:

Excellent! Glad you are able to finish your trip. My gut feeling is you have a bad EMS unit. OTT should get you straightened out. 

Yup or a bad bonding plug, cheap fix!😊

2023 Elite II, Hull# 1386, Lithium Platinum Package (640AH, 400W Solar, 3000W Xantrex Inverter)
Truma water heater & AC

TV: 2024 Silverado 2500HD 6.6L 10-Speed Allison

IMG_5762.jpeg.8a4203e8b5f4e6d7cf9eeca46c1a77e6.jpegAs a safety check as you contact Oliver.

There have been a few of those under the dinette  transfer switches that failed due to loose wiring connections inside and had thus melted internal wiring.  

Transfer relay wires can wiggle loose and cause the switch  to toggle back and forth when power is applied.

To check,  you would need to disconnect from shore power and generator, then open the transfer switch box to check if its connections are tight and no smoked wiring. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

2019 Elite II (Hull 505 - Galway Girl - August 7, 2019 Delivery) 
Tow Vehicle: 2021 F350 King Ranch, FX4, MaxTow Package, 10 Speed, 3.55 Rear Axle
Batteries Upgrade: Dual 315GTX Lithionics Lithiums - 630AH Total
Inverter/Charger: Xantrex 2000Pro 

Travel BLOG:  https://4-ever-hitched.com

IMG_5421.jpeg.c1f697a00240a9bd6729b0930bd3a4aa.jpeg

I picked up one of these relatively inexpensive generator test kits a while back.  It lets you verify both generator voltage and also how many watts and amps the generator is actually generating at site conditions (altitude and temperature) with the clamp meter.  This can help you rule out generator issues.  It comes with a test pigtail to make measurement easy. (see pictures below).  You can find it at Microair .net

image.thumb.png.9f3084e8169cec4d22a05541b5207318.pngimage.png.0e52f9f81b5cc21ad59bb78907f69c70.png

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Steve and Lornie

LE II Standard  Hull #657  2004 4Runner 4.7 L V8

Oregon

COIDKSMOORTNUTWYmed.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: I was indeed the grounding plug! Got a new one and it charges like a champ now!! So glad it was a simple fix!! Thank ya'll again for all your help!

• Thanks 1
  • Like 5
  • Love 1

Explore, Dream, Discover

Christi, Matt & Lucy

2022 Legacy Elite II, TB

Hull # 1261

2019 F150 Limited

• Moderators

We carry cheap lightes from harbor freight,  for the tiny duty group 27 batteries, which wr jave

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.