Made in USA leaf springs

On 7/27/2024 at 7:06 PM, SNY SD UP said:

While waiting for the 2nd replacement leaf spring, we found that all four shocks were blown, (this may have been before the trip), we just did not check them before we left for the trip and that probably contributed to LS failure.

I suspect that the lighter rated springs oscillate at a higher frequency and travel more than they would with stiffer leaf springs causing the OEM shocks to wear out sooner than expected.  Our new Monroe's lasted less than a year before replacing them when we upgraded to the D52s.

Edited by MAX Burner
added clarification
  • Like 3

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca"
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

ALAZARCOIDLAMSMTNMOKTNTXUTWYsm.jpg

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Travel Trailers for Sale
New Travel Trailers for Sale
On 3/30/2024 at 10:55 AM, MAX Burner said:

Remove wheels;

I have read much of this thread.  Super helpful to all - and have captured the general steps for the springs installation, with correction of placement of wet bolts to be at 3/9 O'clock.

Now I'm getting upset because I thought I'd have upgraded to 5200 lbs axles, springs, brakes, etc, but since Oliver cannot upgrade my #110, I still have a ton of work to do on it.  My back hurts just thinking about it.  LOL

My under carriage to-do list still (oy):

• New springs (Alcan)
  • U-bolts, nuts, plate (Alcan)
  • New shocks (??)
  • Brake assemblies (auto or manual adjust - decisions, decisions)
  • Rotors
  • Bearings, and races if not installed in rotors
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Chris
2016 Legacy Elite II  o--o  Hull #110 o--o  Wayfinder  o--o  Twin Bed  o--o  2020 RAM 1500 Limited 5.7L 
Augusta, Georgia

23 minutes ago, Wayfinder said:

I have read much of this thread.  Super helpful to all - and have captured the general steps for the springs installation, with correction of placement of wet bolts to be at 3/9 O'clock.

Now I'm getting upset because I thought I'd have upgraded to 5200 lbs axles, springs, brakes, etc, but since Oliver cannot upgrade my #110, I still have a ton of work to do on it.  My back hurts just thinking about it.  LOL

My under carriage to-do list still (oy):

• New springs (Alcan)
  • New shocks (??)
  • Rotors

Chris,

Oliver could still upgrade your Ollie if they ordered axles according to your specific serial numbered axles, probably SC 50" (axle spring center), Dexter's axle lead time of 3 to 3 1/2 weeks for special orders, if Oliver would agree to this.

Hope you don't mind me thinking out loud, 🙂

Edited by rideandfly
  • Like 4

Bill & Debbie / 2015 LE2 #75 / 2024 F-150/5.0L / North Carolina

On 7/27/2024 at 4:21 AM, Jack Coddington said:

You can take their 5 leaf 2750 lb. spring and remove the small bottom leaf and end up with a 4 leaf spring rated around 2050 lb.

I would still prefer the 2400 rated dexter four leaf if it has more steel.  One would need to compare the weights though.

GJ

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

1 hour ago, rideandfly said:

Chris,

Oliver could still upgrade your Ollie if they ordered axles according to your specific serial numbered axles, probably SC 50" (axle spring center), Dexter's axle lead time of 3 to 3 1/2 weeks for special orders, if Oliver would agree to this.

Hope you don't mind me thinking out loud, 🙂

All good thoughts.  It would be best, for my own experience, if I were to do all the work myself.  Erggg.  But the body is feeling its age.  LOL

I could also find a good shop near me to do the heavy lifting and me get the parts.

• Like 2

Chris
2016 Legacy Elite II  o--o  Hull #110 o--o  Wayfinder  o--o  Twin Bed  o--o  2020 RAM 1500 Limited 5.7L 
Augusta, Georgia

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Wayfinder said:

Now I'm getting upset because I thought I'd have upgraded to 5200 lbs axles, springs, brakes, etc,

After you get your axle as built sheet, go to Dexter's website and find the equipment you want or go to a local distributor and let them know what you want to do.  FleetPride in Augusta is a Dexter distributor.

Mossey

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

2 hours ago, Wayfinder said:

All good thoughts.  It would be best, for my own experience, if I were to do all the work myself.  Erggg.  But the body is feeling its age.  LOL

I could also find a good shop near me to do the heavy lifting and me get the parts.

When I do these jobs, I do all I can, prep everything, get to the point where I can grab my son, and he helps with the heavy lifting! This is at times a two-person job. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

• Moderators
1 hour ago, jd1923 said:

This is at times a two-person job.

My older brother often said "that many hands, make light work".

Mossey

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

21 hours ago, rideandfly said:

Dexter's axle lead time of 3 to 3 1/2 weeks for special orders, if Oliver would agree to this.

This is exactly what I learned when coordinating with Jason for our axle upgrade, fortunately for us, Jason had D52s in stock so we didn't have to wait for a Dexter special order lead time and were able to buy them direct from OTT.  But if you could get your "as built" sheet from Dexter it would certainly be worth the wait for D52s with your 50.0" SC. IMO.

• Like 4

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca"
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

ALAZARCOIDLAMSMTNMOKTNTXUTWYsm.jpg

ScubaRX,

I was surprised to see that you have several Oliver owners visiting you for your assistance in replacing their springs.  Now that you have announced this and considering my order from Alcan will be here on Friday, I may inquire about whether you are “scheduling” and whether you are an HH stop too.   

GraniteStaters aka David Caswell

Edited by GraniteStaters
  • Haha 3

David Caswell and Paula Saltmarsh

Hull 509 "The Swallow"

spacer.png

On 7/27/2024 at 4:21 AM, Jack Coddington said:

Here is something interesting I found from Lew. You can their 5 leaf 2750 lb. spring and remove the small bottom leaf and end up with a 4 leaf spring rated around 2050 lb. But, he also said he knows of no one who has done this yet. 

Why pay for a 5 leaf that then gets turned into a four leaf?  Save the bucks and buy a four leaf that is rated more appropriately.

• Sad 1

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

On 7/29/2024 at 4:45 AM, Wayfinder said:
  • New springs (Alcan)
  • New shocks (??)
  • Rotors

New Ez-Flex too?

GJ

1 hour ago, Geronimo John said:

New Ez-Flex too?

GJ

I did that already.  OTT installed my EZ-Flex parts at the factory, after they realized they could not install the new axles for me.  😞 

I had the parts still in the box, so that was a great help. 

• Like 1

Chris
Augusta, Georgia

Update to shackle issue installing ALCAN leaf springs. 

Received the 2 1/4 in long shackles and installed today. Installation went straight forward but when I was greasing the assembly I noticed that when fully articulated the 4th leaf was still hitting the arm of the EZ-flex. So I called Lew and after some discussion he recommended to just keep an eye on it and that he didn't think it would cause any issues since so many other people had many miles on theirs with no reported issue. Also, offered the option using a cut-off tool to take a 1/2 in or so off the length of the leaf. Didn't go that route. Yet!

I am interested in what others may notice upon maintenance if theirs hit when fully articulated. @Mountainman198 @MAX Burner and many others. My axles are 3500 lb  3 in diameter axles so may not be the same for everyone. 

My trailer is back together with new tires, shocks, and springs. Finally. 

IMG_9861.thumb.jpeg.6e6749b8c7bb93d10051ed29bda6811e.jpegIMG_9851.thumb.jpeg.dcc1a3a35e39bd836f824e95a90906d1.jpeg

Edited by rideadeuce
  • Thanks 5

- Mike

Brentwood, TN

2018 Elite II - Spirit of Adventure Hull #308  - 2016 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L  Class IV hitch with 12k lb coupler

Starlink, Cradlepoint cellular modem, Victron Multiplus II 12V 3000W, Ekrano display, Orion XS 50amp, Atmos 4.4 15k AC/12K Heat pump,

Nova Kool 5180 fridge, Epoch 460aH x2, 520 watts solar, Custom rear bicycle rack, Alcan Springs, Bulldog shocks, Falken H/T02 tires

IMG_4281.jpeg

Height measurements before and after ALCAN springs install. About 1/2 - 3/4 in height gain. This is with 2 1/4 in length shackles. 

Before

IMG_0125.jpeg.b634cd7fcf37b17ab90996e824652c6a.jpeg

After

IMG_0124.jpeg.26fe5a71dbcad2cb0300a00ab6552882.jpeg

Edited by rideadeuce
  • Thanks 2
  • Like 5

- Mike

Brentwood, TN

2018 Elite II - Spirit of Adventure Hull #308  - 2016 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L  Class IV hitch with 12k lb coupler

Starlink, Cradlepoint cellular modem, Victron Multiplus II 12V 3000W, Ekrano display, Orion XS 50amp, Atmos 4.4 15k AC/12K Heat pump,

Nova Kool 5180 fridge, Epoch 460aH x2, 520 watts solar, Custom rear bicycle rack, Alcan Springs, Bulldog shocks, Falken H/T02 tires

IMG_4281.jpeg

BTW, extra ride height is a good thing! Right? This is why many will lift their trucks.

Last thing anybody wants is to spend big $$$ for lesser springs. We have shown in detail the Alcan product is superior to OEM. That was the reason @Mountainman198 brought this to our attention months and 19 pages ago…

On about page 14, I wrote something about this topic being cooked, well done! Maybe it should be closed (Mods)? Questions answered are being asked again… Yes, it’s a long read, but all here in vast detail.

Pretty soon this thread will be longer than “Where’s Ollie?!” I’m going to read some old pages there. 🤣

Edited by jd1923
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

• Moderator+
On 7/30/2024 at 11:53 AM, GraniteStaters said:

ScubaRX,

I was surprised to see that you have several Oliver owners visiting you for your assistance in replacing their springs.  Now that you have announced this and considering my order from Alcan will be here on Friday, I may inquire about whether you are “scheduling” and whether you are an HH stop too.   

GraniteStaters aka David Caswell

Grab your springs, order some new shocks, put some ice on the lobsters, throw it all in the truck and head south. We'll get them on. We don't "suggest" you to buy anything like the HH folks do. I might as well make a cardboard sign that says "Will work for food!"

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 7

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Lucy, Maggie and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

7 hours ago, jd1923 said:

Maybe it should be closed (Mods)?

My only reason for adding to the lengthy post is at least in my situation the ALCAN springs are too robustly built. 4th leaf length needs to be cut back some during build or longer shackles are needed to be installed to get full articulation without hitting the EZ-flex arm. Lew actually put hands on his first Oliver this week and said he has another one coming in soon. So he will be looking at this issue more closely and making necessary changes if needed. 

Hope this helps someone keep their TT off jack stands for 2 weeks during install. 

Best,

Mike

• Thanks 2
  • Like 2
  • Wow 2

- Mike

Brentwood, TN

IMG_4281.jpeg

7 hours ago, jd1923 said:

BTW, extra ride height is a good thing! Right?

For me, it is! Keeps me from scraping the back end coming up my driveway. 

• Like 5

- Mike

Brentwood, TN

IMG_4281.jpeg

13 hours ago, rideadeuce said:

Update to shackle issue installing ALCAN leaf springs. 

Received the 2 1/4 in long shackles and installed today. Installation went straight forward but when I was greasing the assembly I noticed that when fully articulated the 4th leaf was still hitting the arm of the EZ-flex. So I called Lew and after some discussion he recommended to just keep an eye on it and that he didn't think it would cause any issues since so many other people had many miles on theirs with no reported issue. Also, offered the option using a cut-off tool to take a 1/2 in or so off the length of the leaf. Didn't go that route. 

I am interested in what others may notice upon maintenance if theirs hit when fully articulated. @Mountainman198 @MAX Burner and many others. My axles are 3500 lb  3 in diameter axles so may not be the same for everyone. 

My trailer is back together with new tires, shocks, and springs. Finally. 

IMG_9861.thumb.jpeg.6e6749b8c7bb93d10051ed29bda6811e.jpegIMG_9851.thumb.jpeg.dcc1a3a35e39bd836f824e95a90906d1.jpeg

My Alcans do not hit like yours show, however if they did I think I would taper the square end of the second leaf with a grinder so it would clear. 

Let us know how you decide to proceed 

• Like 3

2021 Elite II, Hull# 898

2018 Toyota Tundra, 2003 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9l SRW

4 minutes ago, Mountainman198 said:

My Alcans do not hit like yours show, however if they did I think I would taper the square end of the second leaf with a grinder so it would clear. 

My question is why doesn’t yours hit. Do you have the same EZ-flex and 2 in or 2 1/4 in shackles. Does your 2nd leaf extend to the eyelet like mine?

- Mike

Brentwood, TN

IMG_4281.jpeg

5 minutes ago, rideadeuce said:

My question is why doesn’t yours hit. Do you have the same EZ-flex and 2 in or 2 1/4 in shackles. Does your 2nd leaf extend to the eyelet like mine?

I re-used the stock shackles. Did you do the same or are your shackles “other”?

• Like 1

2021 Elite II, Hull# 898

2018 Toyota Tundra, 2003 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9l SRW

The original Dexter HD 2 in shackles first. Leaf hit the arm, unable to install. 
Lew sent out 2 1/4 in shackles, able to install but still barely hit. 
Going to use it and watch for issues. May end up cutting 2nd leaf. 
Next time you do maintenance check your full articulated clearance. It is not obvious in the neutral position. 

• Like 3

- Mike

Brentwood, TN

IMG_4281.jpeg

1 hour ago, Mountainman198 said:

Let us know how you decide to proceed

What @rideadeuce added is new content. Was the springs Mike received, or is hull #308 different from 6 others here that have thousands of road- tested miles? I too would like to know that answer!

What I was referring to was some against the product, for weight capacity, ride height or cost, writing such complaints more than once and several others asking what had had been answered in so many previous pages of this post.

• Like 1