Leaderboard
Popular Content
Showing content with the highest reputation on 05/01/2017 in all areas
-
Lately, we've used a different product to sanitize the tanks, and water in the boat and the trailer. A friend told us about purogene, a non bleach, no flavor change product. No chlorine smell or taste. We've used purogene, and a similar product activated with citric acid (lemon juice), and quite happy with it in both the trailer and boat. My sister and I are both sensitive to bleach. (Headaches, breathing). Im glad to find an alternative. Sherry6 points
-
Our home is in a suburban area of Florida with almost zero tick risk. But, our dogs travel north with us. I change their flea meds to a flea and tick med during camping season to help prevent Lyme disease. They're susceptible, too. Just a thought, for those of us travelling into tick country. Sherry3 points
-
Dave, When I saw your post yesterday I was in a bit of a rush basically doing the same thing you mention and thought that by now you would have had a bunch of replies. Short answer - yes, I "do" the heater. Even though I leave the heater dry over the winter I think that it is just too easy to lump it in with the rest of the fresh water system when I sanitize. Therefore, in goes the bleach, let it sit overnight and today I'll flush the whole thing. Sometimes I wonder exactly why I do this in that I never actually drink the water either from the tanks or from "city" supplied water while on the road or camped - I bring along "bottled" water. I do this because of sensitivity to changes in the water's mineral content versus being all that worried about bacteria. I any case, I know that ALL is as clean as I can make it. Bill3 points
-
Hi All, I am the Kentucky Correspondent for a podcast, RV Family Travel Atlas' Campground of the Week. This is the 2nd time I have been interviewed. This time I reviewed the Corps of Engineers Gunter Hill Campground just outside of Montgomery, AL. Laura and I were there for the fantastic Green Eggs and Ham VII Rally. I thought you might enjoy listening to the podcast. It is episode #76. http://campgroundoftheweek.com/campground-review-76-gunter-hill-campground-outside-montgomery-alabama/ Take care, Dean3 points
-
I camped as a kid, with my parents, in a tent and then a tent trailer. Later I just took my pickup or Blazer and went to the desert. I finally figured out that sleeping on the ground, in 20 degree weather, wasn't very much fun. One night, near Death Valley, my daughter and I arrived during a cold relentless wind. Snow on the ground had come down days before and never melted. It blew like dust as we drove. It became clear that this was going to be an interesting night. And we were only at two axles. But a friend at the campsite asked us if we'd like to spend the night in a his friends trailer to get out of the wind. Yes! He let us in. It was just a little 50's or 60's sticky about 15 feet long. Perfect. As the wind whistled and the trailer gently rocked, I decided that this was the thing to have. So, three axles was on the horizon for me. But I still didn't want to tow. I tried the camper shell and the pop-up route for a while. Stuck at two axles for the ability to get farther back in. I've always liked the way tandem axles pull. Stable and less likely to drag their frames on rough roads. Plus they are prepared to carry more weight, if needed, like lots of firewood, a dirt bike, gas cans, water. All the extra things that make a casual trip fun. I'm not a back packer and I don't try to travel as light as possible. And I like the remote desert environment where it takes hours on dirt roads to get there. Spend a week and enjoy the ambiance. Bring some fun things along. Find comical comfort in a harsh environment. Now, I've settled on an Elite ll as the best compromise for my wife and I. The quad can go in the pickup, if I decide to bring it at all. The Ollie has excellent towing manners. Reasonably back road capable. Extremely convenient in so many ways. Comfortable without being big. We can leave it behind and explore in the truck. I think I've reached my axle limit. Four. Three would do it, but all the things that come with four are worth it to me. The fun we have over the years with our camping hobby, the interaction with family, new sights and experiences, matures or changes with time. I've had lots of fun with minimal gear in the past, as a kid, or on spur of the moment trips. The change in equipment to a more luxurious and convenient arrangement over the years doesn't make the trips more fun than they used to be long ago, but it makes them more suit what I want now. For instance, I've always been amazed at the desert views and mysteries. The extreme difference in how time works there, the solitude, the timeless and unchanging nature of the place. Even though it is all formed by violent storms, earthquakes, volcanos and plate tectonics. I've marveled at it on hikes and while blasting along at speed on dirt bikes. Power sliding around a big sweeper, on the pipe, steering with the throttle, there is still time to notice the terrain, the vegetation and the vastness of it all. Now, as that era fades into the past, I'm thrilled to have more conveniences as I explore it in a quieter way and ponder it's magnitude. Yep. Four axles will be fine thank you. That is, unless you count the quad's two axles riding in the back of the truck!3 points
-
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2017/05/which-premium-truck-performs-best-as-a-daily-driver.html Don't let mpgs rule your search. The best unladen fuel economy of the group came from the Titan XD but it really struggled pulling a trailer near its max load. Its always best to err on the side of "too much truck" than the other way around, which happens all too often. John Davies Sokane WA2 points
-
Not withstanding the above, a seldom mentioned argument FOR a tandem axle trailer is the additional safety it provides. In the event of a problem with one axle there is always the other axle there to serve as support. Yes, I know, there is also twice the chance of something going wrong. But, if one is mindful of maintenance issues I think that this is greatly reduced to the point of only exposing ones-self to unusual or chance occurrences. Perhaps it is still the "old" Boy scout in me that wants to "Be Prepared". Bill2 points
-
http://olivertraveltrailers.com/axle-count-larry-mountainborn-harmon/1 point
-
Just getting caught up from a brief trip to Bermuda. Nice island, but no Ollies! Sad! My son-in-law helped me write the water sanitizing procedure. He functions as the water quality guy for islands in and around the Caribbean. Since he and my daughter plan to use Ollie from-time-to-from, I mentioned that it would be in his best interest to help craft the procedure. ???? Yes, including the hot water tank is wise. I do like Sherry’s alternative for those with a sensitivity to bleach. Wise choice! Like Bill, I tend to drink bottled water and maybe a beer or two. ???? I like to think a sanitized water system could help me if I happen to get a little water in my eyes or nose during the shower. ???? Buzzy1 point
-
Thanks for the info on the Seresto. I'll have to remember that if we get another pup. I was never comfortable with frontline - maybe it was irrational, but I always figured that I wouldn't want to put it on me, so why am I O.K. with it on my dog? We were fortunate though to never have a flea or tick problem in our yard. It was only when we went out to the forest that he'd pick up his little companions. For the most part, I could brush them out before putting him back in the car but at least three or four times a year I'd miss a few. Fortunately we don't have lyme or spotted fever here so there isn't a huge danger. That's changing quickly though - a neighbor of ours came down with spotted fever last year from a tick that he picked up in east TN. Buzzy, that's a cute pup!1 point
-
The last two years I have had fantastic success, no ticks or fleas seen on my GSDs, with the Seresto collars. I change them, as recommended every 8 months, and I find that applying a fresh one in March or April and leaving it on until November/December works very well indeed.1 point
-
Sherry, A good flea and tick med for your dogs is great advice. In my section of New England, we have a lot of white tailed deer. The ticks associated with the deer are infected with Lyme disease. We need to take two precautions based on our geographical region. Most of the dog owners I know, treat their dogs with Frontline Plus monthly flea and tick medicine. We apply it for 10 of the twelve months, we exclude January and February. In addition, the dogs get an annual Lyme disease vaccination which involves two shots spaced three weeks apart. In addition, we have a habit of carefully checking our dogs for ticks after each walk. Sometimes the ticks are loose in the hair and could enter your trailer and bite you. Not a good thing! Sometimes it is wise to mention your travel plans with your veterinarian to determine if any additional vaccinations are recommended. Think of it as travel protection for your canine buddies! Buzzy PS - Pic of my little tick magnet, Buddy, in Kindergarten. At 20 pounds and growing on his way to 30+. He got his Frontline Plus treatment this morning!1 point
-
Here's the Tekonsha Prodgey P3 Brake Controller link at E-Trailer. We have a Toyota factory controller in our 2016 Tundra, many people like the P3 controller. This link should have the plug and play cable included, too. The folks at E-Trailer are very helpful when you have questions about installing the brake controller. https://www.etrailer.com/multi-product.aspx?pc1=90195&pc2=3017-P&hhmake=Toyota&hhmodel=Tundra&hhyear=2015&vehicleid=201528688&hunter=bc Hope this helps!1 point
-
It should be dead simple, plug and play, if you buy the Tekonsha Toyota adapter harness. Definitely pick a spot away from your knees. In the event of a collision it will rip open your leg otherwise. The P3 needs to be aligned parallel to the centerline of the truck, but it does NOT need to be horizontal, like the older units. It is a great controller for the price, and thus very popular. Shop around since prices vary wildly. You also need this tester. It is the only device that will functionally test your electronic controller without having a trailer attached, a great investment for peace of mind that your truck is ready to tow. ... https://www.amazon.com/Tekonsha-6562-Trailer-Emulator-Display/dp/B004BCA9B8 John Davies Spokane WA1 point
-
I debated long and hard with myself on whether I would order a single or double axle Ollie. A tandem offers some real advantages but you really lose maneuvearbility. A triple is a nightmare I choose to never experience.... never mind the extra toad. I decided that the extra load capacity and towing stability of four wheels overweighed my desire to make lots of jack knife turns. We will see what the future brings.... Thanks for the pictures. John Davies Spokane WA1 point
-
Reed, Thanks for the reply, sounds like your AC runs the same way ours does on Gen-Set Power. Assume after Easy Start installation, the fan would not stop when the compressor turns on. Would appreciate learning if your fan continues to operate when the compressor turns on after Easy Start installation. John (Raspy), My first concern was about AC reliability when using a Gen-Set, too. Since we're on the east coast, I had not given much thought to reduced power at higher elevations, you make valid points. We will be taking the Ollie out west to higher elevations. Thanks for sharing your approach to Gen-Set use while camping. Would appreciate learning how your inverter system works out. Believe Larry (Mountainborn) uses a Yamaha 3000W Gen-Set, enjoy learning from his high elevation camping experience, too. John Davies, This Yamaha takes only one pull to start, even when the fuel valve was turned off to run the fuel out of the carburetor during shut down. Let it sit for a year after letting it run out of fuel during shut down. Had a little surging when I cranked it up, so removed the old gas and filled it up with fresh gas. Still had surging. Removed two panels secured with four screws, removed air filter, and carburetor. Found a little fuel left in the carburetor during disassembly and a little build up in a jet, cleaned it out with compressed air. Reassembled the unit and it runs fine. It only took 1 1/2 hours to take it apart, clean the carb jet and reassemble, very easy unit to work on. If left without running for a long period of time in the future, would remove one side panel secured by two screws, drain the carb float bowl completely and reassemble, probably taking 15 minutes. Always liked Honda and Yamaha motorcycles, they build quality Gen-Sets, recommend the Yamaha EF2400iSHC, too. Thanks for the comments,1 point
-
Eisleen and all the Casita folk said that the Honda 2000i would run the Dometic AC, so I started it up tonight and it did the same as yours with the fan starting first, etc. It was running at full throttle but it worked fine and cooled the trailer with the fan on low in just a few minutes. I had kicked the fan down to low to see if there was any noticable difference but I couldn't hear any change at all, it just stayed on high throttle. I bought the easy start but haven't had a chance to install it yet as we have been either in the rain or enjoying our trip and haven't been home yet where the ladders are waiting :)1 point
-
1 point
-
1 point
-
Beat me to it. Those are the same ones I use. Cheap and seemingly indestructible. They also make good door stops in the garage!1 point
-
We've used the very heavy, but inexpensive, rubber chocks from harbor freight for years. http://m.harborfreight.com/solid-rubber-wheel-chock-96479.html?utm_referrer=direct%2Fnot%20provided1 point
-
No sense in chocking up hill, so I will chock all 4 on the downhill side on a steep slope. I have these at home, didn't have any room for them when we came to pick up the trailer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008CE0R40/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=DVETVI1ZF5E8&coliid=I3MU7GSP5PHL8K&psc=1 Then I bought these Camco super chocks until I make it home and I'm really not impressed with them at all. But I have a roll of V-matting that Oliver puts in the cupboards that I will line them with and try out again. https://www.amazon.com/Camco-44492-Super-Wheel-Chock/dp/B0007TR4CQ/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1489676854&sr=8-6&keywords=Camco+chocks Being that they are hard plastic they have a tendency to slide on concrete, and I can't drive them in because they slip back out... so I really love the rubber ones that I have had for years and I also have a set of chocks cut from 4x4's that can be driven in hard under the tires on steep slopes with a rubber mallet or dead blow hammer that I have with me. Being that I level with the jacks,I readjust the chocks or hammer them in again after leveling. Definitely Do Not buy the Camco Super Wheel Chocks... I was just reading the first review on Amazon and saw that they actually have an expiration date because of the UV rating in the plastic... Lol. Couple that with the slide and... Naw... They will work until we get home anyway... :)1 point
-
John, Nice looking emergency chocks! I bought four of the chocks in the link below. I tied a loop of rope on each handle to facilitate easy handling. They are nothing special but they seem to get the job done and have been very durable. https://www.amazon.com/MaxxHaul-70072-Solid-Rubber-Heavy/dp/B008CE0R5E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489670213&sr=8-1&keywords=rv+chocks+rubber Buzzy1 point
-
Recent Achievements
