Cracked Door Panel

We are new to RV ownership so maybe this is to be expected; our door panel, on the inside, is cracking. See photos.

Is this normal? If not, what has caused this? 'Sun' comes to mind but I do not think that pertains to us.

What should we do? I am inclined to cover each crack with white duck tape. Is this a good idea? Or ????

I am concerned that all of the laminate, or whatever this bumpy material is, will peel totally off & leave the door looking like ???. 🙂

ty

PXL_20240326_144104157.jpg

PXL_20240326_225228450.jpg

• Thanks 1

SGC & GRC

Hull 224 [2017]

2017 GMC Sierra HD Crew Cab Diesel

ALARDEFLGAINLAMEMDMNMSMOMTNJNCNDOHPASCSD   Map of Provinces I Visitedimage.png.f8ebba1142570e619cdfe801998f4b4d.png

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory

Definitely not normal. I've never seen anything like that before. The doors are basically hollow - fiberglass exterior and that plastic (fiberglass?) on the inside. Our Oliver door has foam insulation inside.

I assume you bought this trailer used? Can't tell from the photos, are the cracks pushed in, or pushed outward? Any damage to the outside of the door? The window with shade is aftermarket. Maybe the damage was caused by that installation?

The door can be replaced if you wish. I probably would.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

I agree with Stephanie and Dudley. That is not normal. I have never seen anything like it either. My question would also be about the installation of the aftermarket window in the door first, then some other damage done to it.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

image.jpeg.09f40a09983d95bd862eb789e3430148.jpeg

2019 Ram 1500 5.7L V8, 3.92 axle ratio - 2020 LEll - Hull676

• Moderators
Posted (edited)

Your profile shows a 2017. Even so, I'd open a service ticket.

Those cracks look like the door was let go in wind, and stressed, to me.

White duct tape will seal it for now. I'd guess a new door is in order. Imo.

Edited by SeaDawg
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 4

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Looks like a pretty cool door! Our a 2016, a little older, only has a bathroom-style frosted glass window. Would this be a custom door, DIY replaced? The picture shows an accordion style roll-up shade, clear glass behind. This is a special RV door!

It would be difficult to replace one with like options. I would think about repairing the interior skin. You could remove the window bezel and then remove the interior skin and replace that with sheets of 1/8" textured white plexiglass.

You have cracks everywhere! Many around the window appear to the exactly horizontal and then the obvious one, down the bottom-left corner. Does anybody else here have this style of door? If so, then yes service ticket, but it looks like a mod to me.

If it was mine, I'd love to replace the interior door skin, and make it better than new!

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

Another suggestion...
What caused this? I would say it's the door banging in the wind!

If you take time and money to replace or rebuild this door, spend another few bucks to eliminate the cause: Amazon.com: Lippert RV Entry Door Friction Hinge Kit for 5th Wheel, Travel Trailer and Motorhome Pack of 2 : Automotive

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, jd1923 said:

The picture shows an accordion style roll-up shade, clear glass behind.

That window with integrated shade is aftermarket and uses the original door. You can find them online and install it yourself. Not too difficult. However, if they do replace the entire door, they can buy one with that option already installed.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

Like mentioned earlier, it looks like the door could have been caught by a wind gust judging by the crack being nearer to the hinges.  Short of replacing the inner skin (which is totally doable, we've done one in a previous SOB), suggest finding both ends of the crack (under the window moulding and along hinge line) and "stop drilling" a 1/8" hole there.  This process will stop the crack from getting longer.  Its a foam-core door, so there shouldn't be any "draft" ambient air penetrating the inside crack from outside.

Screenshot2024-03-27at7_02_31AM.thumb.png.5c5b4fd1fd23f22423421c6ec1b9c2ab.png

We've got one a couple inches under our window moulding that runs horizontally for about 10".  We "stopped drilled" the crack on @ScubaRx's suggestion after he saw it in Quartzsite last JAN.

Good luck, cool maintenance/repair opportunity for you, @Steve-Gwenne - let us know how it turns out!

Cheers!

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo S GX, Other Victron Stuff: SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller,  DC-DC Charger, 12VDC Starlink kit, and Alcan 5-pack Leaf Springs
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

Looking at the photos of the cracks, it appears they all are located around the aftermarket window.  That makes me wonder if the installation, in conjunction with wind, might be the culprit.  I’d consider removing the window to see if there is excessive compression of the door materials due to the fitting of the new window.  

While the cracks are an eyesore, I’m not certain they’re catastrophic.   Instead of duct tape, you might consider using Eternabond repair tape. Maybe first stop drilling the cracks to limit their ability to run.

Edit:  looks like Art and I were on the same page, same time.

Edited by Wandering Sagebrush
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Hull #364 - The Roadrunner 

2023 F350 CCLB SRW 6.7L

ALAKAZARCACOFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMSMO

• Moderators
Posted (edited)

Several questions here - 

1 - I've only seen one other door on an Oliver that had these same "symptoms".  I believe that the owner replaced the door.

2 - All of the original doors on Olivers are NOT made by Oliver.  I believe that Lippert makes them but am not positive.  All doors originally come with "frosted/textured glass".  There are a couple of "treatments" that can include replacement glass that is tinted such that it matches the rest of the windows (except for the bath) in the Ollie.  

3 - I agree with the posts above that the "cracking" probably started with the replacement window being installed improperly.  Add to this the black frame on the window would have different thermal properties causing it to expand/contract at different rates as compared to the surrounding white material.  Add slamming the door or a wind guest and once the cracks start you'll more than likely get more cracks.

4 - given #1 above - it is likely that the cracking will continue and that the material will start "flaking".  Perhaps tape of some sort will slow that process.  But, most likely the process will get water/moisture behind it and simply start cracking/flaking in another spot.  Therefore, either replace that interior portion of the door or get a new door.

Good luck!

Bill

p.s.  HERE is a company/product that many Oliver owners (to include myself) have used to change the glass AND install a "shade" inside the window.

Edited by topgun2
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

My 2017 LE2 door looks identical!  I do not think wind had anything to do with it, but maybe sun exposure.  It has puzzled me for several years and I haven’t really figured out how to fix it.  The skin does pull the styrofoam apart, so I’m not sure if replacing the skin is the answer.  I am leaning towards applying something to the existing skin, just haven’t figured out what.

Mossey

• Thanks 1
  • Like 5
  • Sad 1

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

Our door has cracked all around the window area as well. Being the original owner I can say that our door has not been abused. I’ve seen a few other doors with the same issue as well. I’m guessing that this may be age related. I feel like this is definitely not an Oliver issue. The door is basically a thick piece of styrofoam with a thin fiberglass sheet glued to the outside and a thin sheet of plastic glued to the inside. Probably if you tried to peel the inside sheet off of the styrofoam it would damage the styrofoam. I’ve tried to figure out how to fix the cracking without having to completely replace the door, but probably will have to live with it.

Edited by mountainoliver
Added content
  • Thanks 4
  • Like 1

2017 Elite II, Hull #208

2019 Chevy HD 2500 Duramax

Are all the cracked doors on 2017 Olivers?  Me thinks maybe there’s something goin’ on with a batch of doors.  I’ve had Lippert door leak problems on two different truck campers, so I’m inclined to suspect Oliver may have been the recipient of another bad batch.

The campers were custom built pop ups made in California by a friend, and component quality has been an issue for him.

This may be worth having a discussion with Oliver about their supplier.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 5

2023 F350 CCLB SRW 6.7L

I didn't realize the window alone was aftermarket. I mentioned wind, but now it appears it could simply be over-tightening of the window mounting screws. 

We first experienced cracks in the fiberglass interior of the door about four years ago.  Initially, there were only a few.  Over time, the cracks spread spider-web like over most of the door, widening as they spread.  When the cracks first appeared, I had contacted the Oliver Service Dept. for guidance.  Service did not know what would cause the cracks.  The only option was to replace the door (Mike Sharpe also checked with a tech who had tried to replace the  cracked fiberglass in another door, but had determined that was not feasible.). I also contacted Lippert, the door's manufacturer, for its take on the possible cause, but Lippert had nothing to offer on what might have caused it.  We lived with the spreading and widening cracks for four years, but bit the bullet earlier this year and replaced the door while in Hohenwald for other work on the Ollie.  The new door is still manufactured by Lippert, and still features the same pebbled fiberglass on its interior.  A major difference, however,  is that the door closes much more easily.  Now, a nudge will close it whereas the old door had to be firmly closed (a light slam?.). I have to wonder if that continuous hard closing caused the cracking?  The other feature that I don't remember from the first door is the new door appears to have first installed within a frame, which would have then been attached to the Ollie's frame.  I never noticed if the first door was built into its own frame, or not.  

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Russ & Mary Caslin

2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 3.0L diesel

2021 Tundra SR5 Double Cab 5.7 V8

image.png.6c46b7d70855cd1c9364e28641ce0762.png AZARCOFLGAIDILKYLAMIMOMTNMNCOKSCTNTXUTWYmed.jpg

• Moderators

3 hours ago, mossemi said:

My 2017 LE2 door looks identical!  I do not think wind had anything to do with it, but maybe sun exposure.  It has puzzled me for several years and I haven’t really figured out how to fix it.  The skin does pull the styrofoam apart, so I’m not sure if replacing the skin is the answer.  I am leaning towards applying something to the existing skin, just haven’t figured out what.

Mossey

FYI,

Mossey

IMG_3887.thumb.jpeg.6e3d5401e1dc37e1f436ad1e2a7b5b74.jpegIMG_3889.thumb.jpeg.786848d07303953f8e2bb8c4516c5c97.jpegIMG_3888.thumb.jpeg.f3d2d5ff703c890b45ad32cad2dedaf7.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
  • Sad 3

• Moderators

Even though it appears as though the "major" crack that comes from the window could have been (at least in part) from over tightening the lower left screws in the window mount, the rest of the cracks/delamination appears to be caused by either the glue that holds the outside material to the foam underneath or a failure of this plastic material itself.  Either way - it ain't pretty.

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

35 minutes ago, mossemi said:

FYI,

Mossey

IMG_3887.thumb.jpeg.6e3d5401e1dc37e1f436ad1e2a7b5b74.jpegIMG_3889.thumb.jpeg.786848d07303953f8e2bb8c4516c5c97.jpegIMG_3888.thumb.jpeg.f3d2d5ff703c890b45ad32cad2dedaf7.jpeg

I am out in the shop and realize that my window does not have screws on either interior or exterior trim, but it looks like I do have some of that parallax that was recently discussed.  No that’s not bird poop on the exterior photo, it’s shop light reflection.image.thumb.jpg.e59c41009e74964393e36f8bb91e59a3.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.b31e1913e376c8699c8f2757c7d0525d.jpg

• Thanks 1

2023 F350 CCLB SRW 6.7L

• Moderators

Your window has "clips" versus the screws that the older Ollies enjoy.

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, mossemi said:

Mossey

It would take a little work to make a precise template, and you would need a router, but I bet a white piece of Formica would work well to cover up the damage.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 3

2010 Elite II, Hull #45.  2014 Toyota Sequoia Platinum 4WD 5.7 with tow package.

• Moderators
6 hours ago, topgun2 said:

Either way - it ain't pretty.

I was content thinking it was unique!  Now that I know it isn’t, I agree.

Mossey

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Ok everyone, Thank you for all the replies. It is much appreciated. I know that anyone else that has this problem is not pleased but, I am at least glad we are not the only ones experiencing this.

At someone's suggestion, I did open a Service Ticket. I heard from Mike in less than 24 hours. He said the door would need to be replaced. I responded by stating, "$$$$". Mike responded by stating that some people have covered the cracks with state park stickers. I think we'll go with white duck tape until we cannot stand it anymore or it gets much worse.

We are the original owners of #224. Our window did not have clips. We changed our window in 2018. [the cracks have only recently appeared] In early 2018, there had been many Forum posts about alternate windows. One was the one that togun2 referenced & another is the one we used. I really like it

Again, ty

Gwenne - of Steve & Gwenne 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

SGC & GRC

Hull 224 [2017]

2017 GMC Sierra HD Crew Cab Diesel

ALARDEFLGAINLAMEMDMNMSMOMTNJNCNDOHPASCSD   Map of Provinces I Visitedimage.png.f8ebba1142570e619cdfe801998f4b4d.png

• Moderators
11 hours ago, Steve-Gwenne said:

I responded by stating, "$$$$".

Can you tell us how much?

Biil

• Thanks 2

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo S GX, Other Victron Stuff: SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller,  DC-DC Charger, 12VDC Starlink kit, and Alcan 5-pack Leaf Springs
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

• Moderators

I wonder just how many National Park stickers I can buy for that?😉

• Haha 2