ERV's are the future!

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Travel Trailers for Sale
View Inventory

Starting at $300 Gs!!! 😵 I'm thinking my Ollie is just fine. 

• Love 2
  • Haha 2

What's today?............. the most frequently asked question as a retiree 🙄

Chris and Stacie Neuhaus Greenfield, Indiana

2021 Ford F350 7.3L Tremor (Redzilla)

LE2 #1373 - Ordered 10/21/22 - Delivered 05/10/23

States Visited Map

5 hours ago, Ollie-Haus said:

Starting at $300 Gs!!! 😵 I'm thinking my Ollie is just fine. 

x2 Brother! Such a hard pass! See you and your bride at the rally!  

• Like 4

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor 

IMG_2879.jpeg

It's the black walnut accents, 3400 watts solar array, 18 kW inverter and 72 kWh LiPo energy package that got me. Wow, just amazing to see available at any price. 

LVSOLAR.thumb.jpg.4d0118f8e29e742990fa6bc1cf4b5185.jpg

• Like 1

- Mike

Nashville, TN

2018 Elite II - Spirit of Adventure Hull #308  - Toyota Tundra 

9 hours ago, Jason Foster said:

Gotta be able to pull it with my truck....

Soon they will couple to hitch automatically using AI and camera, have built in electric motors to pull and stop themselves in tandem with PV and then you will get out and use app to park them independently on site. They actually have this implemented in other ERV just not this one yet!

• Like 1

- Mike

Nashville, TN

• Moderators
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Jason Foster said:

3D Tesla GIF by shanef3d

Unfortunately. You'll need more truck than the cybertruck or the Rivian to pull one of these. My understanding is that even the 24 footer Living vehicle starts out at a whopping 11k dry weight, max towing capacity of either of these electric trucks, and goes up from there.

I see they have a new cyberTrailer coming  on their website. Hopefully it will be light enough...

Edited by SeaDawg

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

https://pebblelife.com/

Propulsion assist, app parking. Starts 125k.

The most interesting thing to me about the LV is the focus on all electric abilities and the priority of the roof real estate for solar. The OTT is still my favorite camper but the roof seems as if solar was just an afterthought. That has to change….

M

• Like 1

- Mike

Nashville, TN

2 hours ago, rideadeuce said:

https://pebblelife.com/

Propulsion assist, app parking. Starts 125k.

The most interesting thing to me about the LV is the focus on all electric abilities and the priority of the roof real estate for solar. The OTT is still my favorite camper but the roof seems as if solar was just an afterthought. That has to change….

M

I agree that the solar panel is a real drag.

• Haha 2

2014 Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel 4X4 Truck

2024 Oliver Legacy Elite II Hull 1460

ARILINIAKSKYLAMIMNMONMOHOKPASDTNTXVAmed.

• Moderator+
Posted (edited)
On 5/3/2024 at 10:47 PM, Jason Foster said:

One of the former owners sold his Oliver, bought a Super-C and a Jeep to pull behind it, sold that and ordered an LV. It took nearly two years to get it and cost around $500k. They require you to have a one ton truck before they will sell you one. His weighed 18,000 pounds. 

Edited by ScubaRx
  • Like 2
  • Wow 2

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

On 5/4/2024 at 9:35 PM, Jason Foster said:

I agree that the solar panel is a real drag.

As the flexible solar module technology progresses - I'm thinking flex modules that contour to the roof lines would look cooler than the flat modules we have now.  It would be nice to have 400-600watts up there mounted in a "stealthy" fashion...

• Like 4

Smallmap.png.d17a029e6120e02125f6c41a599aa915.png

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca"
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

On 5/6/2024 at 8:04 AM, MAX Burner said:

As the flexible solar module technology progresses - I'm thinking flex modules that contour to the roof lines would look cooler than the flat modules we have now.  It would be nice to have 400-600watts up there mounted in a "stealthy" fashion...

Some of us like the “Flying Nun” look of the current solar panels (said the old guy)!  🤪

• Love 1
  • Haha 7

2021 Elite II, Hull# 898

2018 Toyota Tundra, 2003 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9l SRW

2 hours ago, Mountainman198 said:

Some of us like the “Flying Nun” look

Dude!  You're cracking me up, big time!  Sally Fields will never be quite the same now!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 2022 TUNDRA

On 5/6/2024 at 2:04 AM, MAX Burner said:

Aesthetically pleasing, low aerodynamic impact, and high power output, and not damaging to our Gel Coat!  Been waiting 6 years for the technology to mature.  Now we need to add at a "reasonable cost".  

GJ

• Like 3

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

On 5/3/2024 at 9:47 PM, Jason Foster said:

3D Tesla GIF by shanef3d

Well, yesterday we spotted our first Cyber Truck in eastern OK - it was a silver model westbound on I-40 strapped, what appeared to be, very securely to the flat bed of a tow truck...???

• Love 1
  • Haha 2

• 2022 TUNDRA

15 hours ago, MAX Burner said:

Well, yesterday we spotted our first Cyber Truck in eastern OK - it was a silver model westbound on I-40 strapped, what appeared to be, very securely to the flat bed of a tow truck...???

Those Cyber Trucks look cool to me, but not sure if I want to shell out 100k for something that only goes 340 miles before needing 17 hours to recharge.

2014 Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel 4X4 Truck

2024 Oliver Legacy Elite II Hull 1460

ARILINIAKSKYLAMIMNMONMOHOKPASDTNTXVAmed.

Nothing but a buncha b$, living vehicles, EVs for anything more than a daily commute, solar farms, wind farms (that kill eagles and whales), and the like.

I appreciate the application of technology, never tech for tech's sake. Learned that working 10 years for Motorola during the 90s. We aren't there, not even close, even though too many mindless politicians say so.

Will tow with my old diesel 'til the day I can no longer drive. And our recent investment in an Oliver will be our last RV of any kind. "No brag, just fact." 

• Like 2

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, jd1923 said:

I appreciate the application of technology, never tech for tech's sake. Learned that working 10 years for Motorola during the 90s. We aren't there, not even close, even though too many mindless politicians say so.

Interesting take on this topic. To me Motorola during the late 90s early 2000s big mistake was not changing with the times fast enough, staying stuck in the mud with physical keyboards, outdated form factor, old software that was cumbersome and couldn't be updated OTA, etc. things customers were starting to demand. 

What makes OTT foundation so great is the incredible build quality and use of double hull fiberglass construction #1 IMO. But not looking long term and seeing that 100% electrification of Ollies and cars for that matter is the future would be a mistake. I mean Ollie's are already essentially fully electrified hybrids just need to make the roof  and battery compartments more friendly for larger solar arrays and battery banks. Great technology combined with a great structural foundation is what makes the travel trailer so uniquely usable. Pull/boon-dock almost anywhere!

Just my opinion... I would love for them to stay out front with one of the best campers ever made. We can all can continue to customize and use as we see fit. We shall see what the future holds. 

My wants:

1) FLAT roof for expandable solar panels/ awnings (could double-triple the solar wattage)

2) Larger battery bank compartment and better use of empty basement space. 

3) More robust, unified energy system (Victron would be my vote) from the factory so we don't have to drill holes in the beautiful fiberglass, etc.

4) Built-in water filtration

5) While wishing a 28-32 ft version with separate BR and dry bath would be awesome.

Chime in!

Best, Mike

Edited by rideadeuce
  • Like 1

- Mike

Nashville, TN

1 hour ago, rideadeuce said:

My wants:

1) FLAT roof for expandable solar panels/ awnings (could double-triple the solar wattage)

3) More robust, unified energy system (Victron would be my vote) from the factory so we don't have to drill holes in the beautiful fiberglass, etc.

5) While wishing a 28-32 ft version with separate BR and dry bath would be awesome.

Just some random thoughts:

1)  The roofline is designed for the storage lockers, electrical chases, and headroom down the fore/aft passageway.  But, how about a more curved roofline to accommodate future efficient flexible solar module?  Massive investment required for designing and making new body molds.

2) Right now, the current size battery compartment can hold 2 x 200A-Hr lithiums (I'm thinking there was recently a post on this 400A-Hr upgrade).  

The question is, "how many A/Hrs of storage do I need?"  That's an individual decision - some camping styles are met with a single AGM w/95A-Hr capacity and other owners need 600A/Hrs to meet their camping needs, neither one is right or wrong -- "if it fits, wear it!"  

For us, 300A-Hrs works perfectly well for the camping style we practice.  A larger battery compartment sounds great, but, like a new roofline, means designing new fiberglass molds - a huge expense that may not yield a return Oliver's investment unless that "600A-Hr market" is bigger than one could imagine.  Obviously, more battery capacity can be gained by solar generators or using space in the TV for more lithiums - to make up for the current compartment size if someone's style of camping needs it.

3) We're 100% onboard with a full-on Victron package - but, again, that's for our style.  We learned just yesterday from Josh, OTT sales manager, that 2024 models now have an available DC-DC charger.  That upgrade was a game changer for us.  The point being, OTT may be listening to owners and their needs through these forums.  It appears that someone in the OTT decision chain keyed-in on this need - and it's now a reality.  As we know, Victron, Renogy, Xantrax, and others have integrated suites (controlled/monitored by a single mobile device app) of smart solar MPPT controllers, shunts, inverter-chargers, touch screens, tank monitors, etc., that can bring the basic OTT well into the future of RV'ing.  

4) Built-in water filtration would be nice.  There's a rather large list of options from in-line activated charcoal filters to whole-RV reverse osmosis systems - goes back to, y'all know by now, "individual camping style."  For us, we keep a Travel Berkey in its carry case under the front dinette seat.  Deploys to the nightstand and out of the way of the flat screen.  We disinfect the fresh water tank and plumbing no less than 2x/annually, always fill the FWT at the start of the trip with "softened" well water from the house (keeps mineral buildup lower).

5) OK - sometimes size matters, right?  A 28 - 32 footer wouldn't fit in our shop, so for us, that's a no-go.  A 27'ft- OTT would fit if my storage racks along the back wall were removed - not happening.  However, think of what a 28 - 32 foot OTT would look like - would it still be 7 feet wide?  That would make it look like an Oscar Meyer Wiener going down the road... IMO!

We like the maneuverability of the LE2 - same (basic) width as the TV, great turning radius, great GVWR, and a dream to haul around.  Don't even mind the "wet-head."  Would a slightly wider (same length) option be favorable?  Heck yes... 7-1/2' wide, might be a winner.  The LE2 interior length is roughly 18' - that would be another 9-sqft of hard-to-come-by real estate inside!  But those new hull molds literally cost in the $-millions to manufacture.

So another question might be, "How long can OTT ride the current "RV market wave" using existing hull molds?"  Perhaps greater capacity solar modules and a more integrated/higher capability electronics suite could be on their radar - but who knows?

End of random thoughts...

Cheers!

• Like 3

• 2022 TUNDRA

41 minutes ago, MAX Burner said:

2) Right now, the current size battery compartment can hold 2 x 200A-Hr lithiums (I'm thinking there was recently a post on this 400A-Hr upgrade).  

Our 2023 Platinum solar package has two 320A/h batteries, for a total of 640. A lot more solar would be needed to support long term use. Mine takes a full day of sunshine to recover 10% of the battery capacity. 

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

-----
Steve - Northern Ohio, USA
Wandering around on occasion, always lost.
2021 Toyota Land Cruiser - 2023 Oliver Elite II Twin Hull #1360 “Curiosity”
Facebook - Instagram

Camped in Curiosity = Green —— Visited with Curiosity = Gray

map.jpg

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, rideadeuce said:

Interesting take on this topic. To me Motorola during the late 90s early 2000s big mistake was not changing with the times fast enough, staying stuck in the mud with physical keyboards, outdated form factor, old software that was cumbersome and couldn't be updated OTA, etc. things customers were starting to demand. 

What makes OTT foundation so great is the incredible build quality and use of double hull fiberglass construction #1 IMO. But not looking long term and seeing that 100% electrification of Ollies and cars for that matter is the future would be a mistake. I mean Ollie's are already essentially fully electrified hybrids just need to make the roof  and battery compartments more friendly for larger solar arrays and battery banks. Great technology combined with a great structural foundation is what makes the travel trailer so uniquely usable. Pull/boon-dock almost anywhere!

Just my opinion... I would love for them to stay out front with one of the best campers ever made. We can all can continue to customize and use as we see fit. We shall see what the future holds. 

My wants:

Chime in! Best, Mike

What many do not realize is that Motorola only dabbled in consumer electronics (10-20% of sales), through the years, and yes often failed from poor marketing. Motorola was an engineering company, manufacturing backend systems for commercial use and government, along with semiconductor manufacturing used by Apple, HP and so many others.

The point I was making was the useful application of technology. First point, I certainly do not need a TT that is so heavy, I would need a 550-grade commercial truck to pull it! Many locations we camp, a rig >24FT would not go. I see the 3-axles Air Streams and fifth wheels everywhere and wonder. They may soon downsize as we have. Honestly, you want these features, flat roof with 10+ solar panels, buy a Class-A RV.

We also don't need a balcony on our TT, OMG! 🤣 If you can't walk down 2-3 steps and plant your feet on the ground, why are you camping? Sure it's cool, but is it useful application of technology? I think not. I also see aluminum and rivets in their builds. They offer 100-gal FWT which is another 800+ LBS when full. I could not find a spec sheet without filling out a form and wonder re actual GTWR.

Should OTT improve their design? Of course. Flat roof? Not for me. It will create more wind drag and take away from the elemental beauty of the OTT. All the tech in that Living Vehicle and they offer the same 2000W Inverter that we have? I was amazed how our old 340W solar and 450AH lead-acid kept us dry-camping 2 1/2 weeks and battery charge never got below 80% (we do live in the sunny dry SW). I will upgrade to LI and 3000W inverter, only to run a new efficient AC to be fully self-contained. We can do all that in our old hull for just a few thousand dollars.

All those bells and whistles have their cost, upfront and down the road. The $300K base package (their 24' model) is approx. 3x the cost of an Oliver. I imagine some of you have that money, but we only had enough discretionary, for this purpose, for our used Oliver.

The Oliver cannot be considered a hybrid, as it cannot be driven down the road on its own accord. An EV Truck for camping? 🤣 What are you going to charge first? Your house batteries or the EV TV? How much extra solar wattage would be required for the EV TV? Living Vehicle advertises their product can charge the EV. Problem is when the EV TV needs recharging is when the sun is setting...

LI batteries do weigh less, but batteries in an EV TV and enough batteries in the TT to recharge the TV add up to 1000s of LBS in batteries. Some of us worry about 50 LBS of water in the HWH. Wonder when Living Vehicle will get up to over 1500 units sold?  

Edited by jd1923
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Steve Morris said:

Our 2023 Platinum solar package has two 320A/h batteries, for a total of 640. A lot more solar would be needed to support long term use. Mine takes a full day of sunshine to recover 10% of the battery capacity. 

Wow, only 10%! What is your rooftop solar wattage? Perhaps a third panel in your future. I dislike the idea of portable, but many here do that.

You are based in N Ohio. I wonder if your same package was camping out here in the SW, would 10% increase to 20% or some better number?

8 hours ago, rideadeuce said:

To me Motorola during the late 90s early 2000s big mistake was not changing with the times fast enough, staying stuck in the mud with physical keyboards, outdated form factor, old software that was cumbersome and couldn't be updated OTA, etc. things customers were starting to demand. 

Motorola had it's reasons for the design of their land mobile hand held radios.  We need to keep in mind who at the time their PRIMARY customer was....  The Military.

Troops in the field have used their heavy, ugly, bulky, near water and mud proof and almost indestructable hand held radios successfully for many years.  They have even been used as a weapon of last resourt to throw at combatant.  We called them a "Brick" for that reason.  Did I mention heavy?  Any troop could pick up one and use it.  Push and talk it communicated.  

But for the civilian perspectice you are spot on......

GJ

• Like 2

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, jd1923 said:

Wow, only 10%! What is your rooftop solar wattage? Perhaps a third panel in your future. I dislike the idea of portable, but many here do that.

You are based in N Ohio. I wonder if your same package was camping out here in the SW, would 10% increase to 20% or some better number?

The 2023 has 400W of solar at 24VDC. I ran the air conditioner using the batteries in the driveway to see how much it used. I don’t recall the exact numbers now, but it was in a post from when we picked up last March. I think it worked out that one hour of air conditioner use ate up 10% of the battery, and took one day to recover. Another time I ran the AC about ten hours and had 20-some percent left, so it isn’t a simple 1 hour= 10% =24 hours. 

I have a Bluetooth 200W 12V panel, but can’t tie it in to the Oliver’s Victron charge controller due to the different panel voltages. I have a second smaller Victron charge control to add parallel to the main one using the Zamp port,  but haven’t gotten around to doing that yet. 

Edited by Steve Morris
  • Like 4

-----
Steve - Northern Ohio, USA
Wandering around on occasion, always lost.
2021 Toyota Land Cruiser - 2023 Oliver Elite II Twin Hull #1360 “Curiosity”
Facebook - Instagram

Camped in Curiosity = Green —— Visited with Curiosity = Gray

map.jpg

6 hours ago, jd1923 said:

I will upgrade to LI and 3000W inverter, only to run a new efficient AC to be fully self-contained. We can do all that in our old hull for just a few thousand dollars.

We're headed along that path also - I'm not even going to think about it until the 2kW Xantrax dies its slow death.  But for now it meets all our boon docking needs.  Granted, we're not in the southern states durning summer when AC is needed at times.  In the summer Rockies -- all one really needs are good window screens or maybe a CLAM.  Running the AC off the battery bank is definitely appealing - but for us, only after we've used up the the 2kW inverter and he's totally given up the ghost...  Then we'll look at the inverter/charger option with our Lithiums.

• Like 4

• 2022 TUNDRA