Tire Recommendation?

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Travel Trailers for Sale
View Inventory
On 6/11/2024 at 1:55 PM, rideadeuce said:

The Wildpeaks don't just look tough, they are tough…

Nothing wrong with Cooper. Many have them here for TV and TT. We have them on our GX, the AT model and they don’t pick up stones.

Must say I like the tread on these Wildpeaks, 5 ribs 4 grooves should track nicely. Will give them a good look next time we need tires. Thx 

• Like 4

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

We've had no issues with our Cooper tires that came with our trailer.  They track great and wear great.  It's a shame that Goodyear bought Cooper and stopped production.  You made a good choice and were lucky to get some.  Enjoy!  

Before each trip, we go to a CAT scale and check out the TV and trailer weights and tire pressures.  We use the attached Excel workbook to help us out Towing Weights.xlsx.  We copy a new worksheet for each weighing and use the date to name the worksheet.  Our most recent trip we ran with low tongue weight (new ebike and racks on back) but had no issues in high cross winds during trip.  Still, we need to correct this.

Edited by Jim and Frances
added content
  • Like 2

SE Texas  | 2021 Elite II  Twin Bed # 927  "Lucy"  |  2019 F250 FX4 6.7

Jim:  Several of us run with 500 pound tongue weights on the OE2.  Last year Art and I weighed my tongue weight on a really neat scale for this purpose.  Mine was 540 pounds.  I travel out west in significant truck and cross winds with never a problem with sway.  And with your F-250 why worry about yours in the 600 range?  I would not.

GJ

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

On 6/11/2024 at 8:19 AM, Patriot said:

My TV 35” Nitto Ridge Graplers clean up nicely. 

You recommended the Nitto's some time ago.  I put a set on my TV and LOVE them!  Good tire all around.  🙂 

GJ

• Like 2

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

On 6/11/2024 at 8:19 AM, Patriot said:

My TV 35” Nitto Ridge Graplers clean up nicely. 

You recommended the Nitto's some time ago.  I put a set on my TV and LOVE them!  Good tire all around.  🙂 

G

On 6/11/2024 at 10:55 AM, rideadeuce said:

Wildpeak A/T 35s on the Tundra have the added Duraspec, which is 3-ply sidewall construction

Thank for the in-depth on the Wildpeak tires.  I like the no stone tossing tread and super sidewall design.  For that reason I would not put the Nitto's on Ollie.  Like mentioned, I want my TV to Tow and my Trailer to Follow without hurting Ollie".  And the price is reasonable for E-rated tires.

• Like 2

Congratz on the new tires @csevel.  I'm too late to this thread, but I also went with new Michelin Agilis Cross Climate - LT225/75 R16.  I love 'em, but I'd love any good reliable tire that is round and black.  Many folks love those coopers.  Keep them covered when not in use!

I'm still a bit confused though.  After all these years of many forum threads mentioning pressure from the factory, why are they still putting 80psi in them?  I understand if one blows that will place more "pressure" on the others, but 80psi is one hell of a hard ride.  I also keep mine at just under 50psi, but I travel extremely light too.  No much extra in the way of toys, yet. 

I'll be at the factory in July getting the new suspension upgrade and windows on the old #110.  I'll ask that question there.  I forgot to open up that can of worms at the Alabama rally.  LOL

• Like 2

Chris
2016 Legacy Elite II  o--o  Hull #110 o--o  Wayfinder  o--o  Twin Bed  o--o  2020 RAM 1500 Limited 5.7L 
Augusta, Georgia

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, Wayfinder said:

After all these years of many forum threads mentioning pressure from the factory, why are they still putting 80psi in them? 

I understand that the factory started putting less psi in the tires some time ago.

Bill

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Near Asheville, NC

I'll carry a pressure gauge when I'm at the factory.  That won't look suspicious at all.  LOL. I'll wear my Oliver hat I got at the rally.  hehe

• Haha 1

Chris
2016 Legacy Elite II  o--o  Hull #110 o--o  Wayfinder  o--o  Twin Bed  o--o  2020 RAM 1500 Limited 5.7L 
Augusta, Georgia

Replaced 7.5 year old  Michelin's with Cooper Discoverer HT3 LT225/75R16 a year ago. Have run about 9,000 miles inflated at 45psi. Have had a few sets of Cooper AT3 on the f250 and my former Tundra. All been great tires. 

Edited by taylor.coyote
typo
  • Like 1

2016 Legacy Elite II, Twin Beds, Hull #124

Tow Vehicle: 2019 Ford F250 4x4  / Short Bed / Crew Cab / 6.7 Diesel

Fieldbrook, Ca

Michelin Tires.... period.  

Goodyears... on Airstreams and the owners go to Michelin tires.

I bought a new 2019 27 foot Airstream with 15 inch Goodyears, removed them and replaced with 16 inch wheels and Michelin's.   A guy bought the Goodyears to put on a flat bed to haul junk.  New tires and wheels for him and I paid about 50% more to get 16 inch wheels and Michelins.

You will not be disappointed with the Michelin tire that will fit your rims.  They will 'age out' before wearing out.  Agilis... sell them.  I have Michelins on all our vehicles, a  2019 27 foot Airstream and our 2019 Oliver Elite II.  The tires will Rot Out before they Wear Out.

I have owned three Airstreams.  Michelin tires. The Goodyears on the 2006 23 foot Airstream were 14 inch wheels with Goodyears.  I called the the C Rated Blow Out tires.  Never a complaint with Michelins and on an Oliver... will go on and on and... so on.  

On 6/18/2024 at 9:52 AM, BoondockingAirstream said:

27 foot Airstream with 15 inch Goodyears, removed them and replaced with 16 inch wheels and Michelin's.

Same here, brother.  We've had 2 AS's and a Casita - they got either Michelin Ribs or Defenders.  We put 16"-er's on both AS's and never looked back.  We're running Cooper Discover HT3s on our LE2 because they were new when we bought it used from the original owner.  We've put close to 20K miles on the Coopers and have absolutely no concerns.  I suspect we'll see way north of 50K on this set - we rotate in the spare every 5K miles.

FYI, after upgrading to the Alcan 5-spring leafs, new shocks, and D52 axles, we increased our tire pressure from 40PSI to 45cold - we're close to 5K miles since the running gear upgrade and are very confident in the tow of our Oliver.

Cheers...

A & D (reporting to you from Garden City, UT on the banks of Bear Lake)

• Like 1

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca"
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

ALAZARCOIDLAMSMTNMOKTNTXUTWYsm.jpg

11 hours ago, MAX Burner said:

we rotate in the spare every 5K miles.

What is your rotating sequence?

2020 OLEll, Twin, 579

2012 Silverado 1500 4x4

No installed solar, Renogy 40A DC-DC charger, 460Ah LFP battery bank/Victron SmartShunt, Hughes Autoformer, dual Lagun tables

On 6/18/2024 at 11:52 AM, BoondockingAirstream said:

Michelin Tires.... period.  

...  Agilis... sell them.  I have Michelins on all our vehicles, .... 

I must be miss-reading this, with my old brain.  But "Agilis" CrossClimates are Michelin.  They're awesome so far.  But time will tell.

• Like 4

Chris
Augusta, Georgia

On 6/23/2024 at 4:12 AM, Ronbrink said:

What is your rotating sequence?

Real simple - whichever wheel is the spare it goes to the right rear.  Then rotate anti-clockwise until the left rear becomes the new spare.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

• 2022 TUNDRA

I think my spare on #110 is smaller than my current, and original Michelins.  Not sure I can get one of the main tires into the spare cover.  I've kinda tried once.  Seemed like it would be too tight.  

Anyone else seen that before?

• Like 2

Chris
Augusta, Georgia

YES.  

You may want to PM @ScubaRx and ask Steve what hull number cutoff went from the smaller spare to the current style which has a larger spare tire carrier compartment.  Our's is Hull 226, a 2017 model year, with the larger compartment.  So, somewhere between Hull 110 and 226 they made them larger.  Steve keeps track of that stuff.  I'd ask him...

• 2022 TUNDRA

3 hours ago, Wayfinder said:

I think my spare on #110 is smaller than my current, and original Michelins...

Yes, mine too. When the spare is of smaller size, you cannot work the 5-tire rotation that @MAX Burner has described. I got to tell you that tire rotation on a trailer is not all that important. Trailer tires merely follow the TV .They do not steer and have much in lateral forces.

PLEASE do NOT allow the Maintenance Gods of the OTT forum strike me down in blasphemy! 🤣 I'll just run mine until they need replacing, and life is good.

All y'all with strong adherence to dedicated tire rotation will get more miles on the lot. And if you tow >15.000 miles per year, it can make a small difference. My tires will wear out more quickly due to climate, vs. miles. I did rotate mine when I serviced the trailer bearings/brakes but will likely not worry again.

"What me worry?" (Alfred E. Neuman)

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jd1923 said:

Yes, mine too. When the spare is of smaller size, you cannot work the 5-tire rotation that @MAX Burner has described. I got to tell you that tire rotation on a trailer is not all that important. Trailer tires merely follow the TV .They do not steer and have much in lateral forces.

PLEASE do NOT allow the Maintenance Gods of the OTT forum strike me down in blasphemy! 🤣 I'll just run mine until they need replacing, and life is good.

All y'all with strong adherence to dedicated tire rotation will get more miles on the lot. And if you tow >15.000 miles per year, it can make a small difference. My tires will wear out more quickly due to climate, vs. miles. I did rotate mine when I serviced the trailer bearings/brakes but will likely not worry again.

"What me worry?" (Alfred E. Neuman)

I agree with this.  I do not rotate trailer tires.  My cattle trailer, horse trailer, cargo trailer, camper trailers and heavy-duty equipment trailer never had their tires rotated and I never had an issue with uneven wear.

Now my vehicle tires are another matter altogether.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2014 Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel 4X4 Truck

2024 Oliver Legacy Elite II Hull 1460

ARILINIAKSKYLAMIMNMONMOHOKPASDTNTXVAmed.

8 hours ago, jd1923 said:

And if you tow >15.000 miles per year, it can make a small difference.

I agree, JD, in my pea brain I'm thinking we might get another 10-12% more miles out of this set of sneakers by rotating them.  Last year we logged 8,597 miles and the new Coopers didn't even show wear.  So far, in the first 6 months of this year, we're sitting at 7,841 and the Discoverers show wear around the outer edges, but the main ribs are looking strong and the grooves are deep.  We may hit 15k for the year...

Definitely concur that the environmental factors will wear them out more so than being towed.  I just hate to think of a pristine spare sitting back there doing nut'n!  Put him to work, I say!  HA!

• Like 1

• 2022 TUNDRA

On 6/18/2024 at 8:52 AM, BoondockingAirstream said:

You will not be disappointed with the Michelin tire that will fit your rims.  They will 'age out' before wearing out.  Agilis... sell them.  I have Michelins on all our vehicles, a  2019 27 foot Airstream and our 2019 Oliver Elite II.  The tires will Rot Out before they Wear Out.

Messed that up when 'proof reading'. The Agilis (Michelins).  I edit while typing and prior to posting... missed that.  I have five Agilis Cross Climate Michelins on the Airstream.

2019 Airstream 27/28 foot: Agilis Cross Climate LT225/75/R16 Michelins.

2019 Oliver Elite II: Defender LTX M/S 225/75/R16 Michelins.

2016 F 350 4x4 Diesel Tow Vehicle: LTX AT2 - LT275/70/R18 Michelins.

"Agilis...sell them"... When editing it was intended for another... brand to sell... now gone from memory. Probably ST tire's which I do not use or want on any travel trailer I own.  

Thanks for catching that. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mike and Carol said:

Hull 135 has the smaller spare.

Ours too and it will sit back there, hopefully never needed. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jason Foster said:

I agree with this.  I do not rotate trailer tires.  My cattle trailer, horse trailer, cargo trailer, camper trailers and heavy-duty equipment trailer never had their tires rotated and I never had an issue with uneven wear.

Now my vehicle tires are another matter altogether.

I rotated mine last year, only because I had the wheels off to do bearings. No other reason, except for why not, but yes otherwise it's just a waste of time.

Keep this a secret though! You would not want to start an argument with a trained sales associate at Discount Tires. 🤣 They might want to invalidate your warranty.

• Haha 1