Tall guy sleeping question

We are Olly wannabes but have yet to see one in person. My big question is: at 6’4 am I gonna have sleeping room in a twin set up Legacy II?  This would be a real deal breaker if not and maybe listening to some of your experience would help. Thanks in advance. 😃

• Like 1

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Travel Trailers for Sale
View Inventory
  • Moderators

You might want to send Patriot a private message (PM) on this topic.  He is about that height.  Obviously, some of this will have to do with how you prefer to sleep (i.e. arms over head, legs out straight, etc.)

Certainly you will not be able to stand up straight in the shower - I'm right at 6'0" and I just make it.  The main cabin should be no problem for you.

Bottom line - you really should see one in person - a call to the sales office will get you to the closest one to you.  Note that Oliver sales is NOT a pressure operation and they will not "bug" you until the cows......

Bill

• Like 3

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Near Asheville, NC

40 minutes ago, Against The Wind said:

... at 6’4 am I gonna have sleeping room in a twin set up Legacy II?

I'm 6' 2" and it seems I just make it lying flat on my back. I believe the inside edge is right at 76" which is 6' 4" but then the other side is curved a ~16" radius so less room for the outside foot (given your head is up at the kitchen side). I'm mainly a side sleeper which makes the length OK but then the 30" seems very narrow. I've gotten used to it after a few trips. Some owners have removed the nightstand and built a platform to create a RV king bed space which gives much more width and some length on an angle. Going this route, you lose the nightstand, seating area, and the hallway which makes it difficult to get in and out of bed.

Edited by jd1923
Added last sentence
  • Like 3

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

So much good intel! We thought about the standard Legacy 2 with the king setup but realized if we used an additional mattress instead of the cushions, we have lost that end of the trailer to just bedding. No sitting room. So, the twin setup seems the best of both scenarios. And yes, I figured on the shower being too tight for me so we had planned on outside sources (campground bathhouses, etc.) and me using the shower in extreme conditions. 

• Like 2

I am 6’6” tall and have the twin beds layout. I pondered the standard layout in order to have a larger bed but did not want to lose floor space in a already small space. My solution was to build a temporary platform about 2 feet long that spans the bed wings between twin platforms near the galley.  My sleeping mode is head to the aft so the platform allows me to throw one leg onto the platform (I am a side and stomach sleeper). So far it is quite comfortable. Sorry but I do not have pics.

I believe Foy Sperring’s  aisle/bed platform would accomplish the same thing

Best wishes in your shopping  

• Like 5

2021 Elite II, Hull# 898

2018 Toyota Tundra, 2003 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9l SRW

3 hours ago, Against The Wind said:

We are Olly wannabes but have yet to see one in person. My big question is: at 6’4 am I gonna have sleeping room in a twin set up Legacy II?  This would be a real deal breaker if not and maybe listening to some of your experience would help. Thanks in advance. 😃

I am 6’3 and a 99.9% a side sleeper and actually sleep really well in the twin. We crafted 10” thick memory foam mattresses with a cooling gel in them. Essentially I took a Casper Queen mattress we purchased at Target and sliced it in half and cut the radius with an electric turkey carving knife. Long story short, it all came together and no trouble with getting a great night of deep Zzzzzzzzzs! 😴😄.

Like @topgun2 suggested go see an Oliver especially since it appears you live in Tenn. Maybe take a day trip and do the factory tour. The factory tour convinced us that we were on point when we were thinking about purchasing an Oliver. Looking back, so glad we did.

• Like 5

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR”

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor 

North Carolina 🇺🇸

IMG_2879.jpeg

14 hours ago, Against The Wind said:

And yes, I figured on the shower being too tight for me so we had planned on outside sources (campground bathhouses, etc.) and me using the shower in extreme conditions. 

One can always sit on the closed toilet to shower, after all it is a wet bath! However, care would need to be taken in doing so with a composting head. 

2020 OLEll, Twin, 579

2012 Silverado 1500 4x4

No installed solar, Renogy 40A DC-DC charger, 460Ah LFP battery bank/Victron SmartShunt, Hughes Autoformer, dual Lagun tables

If you're talking about a stock Oliver with no modifications, I don't think you'll be comfortable. The bed will be tight and you'll need to slouch in the bathroom. But, as evidenced above, everyone's different. You really should see one in person. Lie in the bed, stand in the bathroom. I'm 6'. When we visited @StillGame to see their LE2 the bathroom was almost a dealbreaker for me because my head rubbed on the ceiling. Then they suggested I try it with my shoes off and that worked fine, so we went ahead with the purchase. 

• Like 1

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

6 hours ago, Ronbrink said:

One can always sit on the closed toilet to shower, after all it is a wet bath! However, care would need to be taken in doing so with a composting head. 

The toilet area in the Oliver has more room than in most RVs. When we had the Bigfoot Class C with a large bathroom area, I had to have the door open with one leg in the hallway! Shower height not being tall enough is about the same as other RVs. Just realized why I've taken more outdoor showers (when boondocking) and campground showers since owning an Oliver. At 6' 6" tall very few showers are tall enough.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, jd1923 said:

Shower height not being tall enough is about the same as other RVs...

... of comparable size. If the OP wants more space there are options like fifth wheels with lots of room to spread out. Of course, that's a completely different experience than an Oliver.

• Like 1

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

I am 6'2".
Sleeping is great on twin bed.  Very cozy.
But the bathroom is not built for me.  I'm OK with that.  Cuz my wife loves it.  And I'm camping.

In 72 camping nights so far, I have always found someplace else to shower.  My wife chose the Ollie 71 times.

As others have said, there is no substitute for getting inside one and decide for yourself.  Best of luck!

• Like 1

2024 OLEII - Hull MDIV, born 3/13/24

Ram 1500  5.7L 8 cyl hemi, 4wd, max tow, air shocks, 6’4” box, crew cab

visited-united-states-map.png

18 minutes ago, Dennis and Melissa said:

In 72 camping nights so far, I have always found someplace else to shower.  My wife chose the Ollie 71 times.

It's only been 30 nights for us in our first year. I've showered in 2 times (don't like getting everything wet) and Chris uses it 100%, she loves the bathroom as-is! 

23 hours ago, Against The Wind said:

at 6’4 am I gonna have sleeping room in a twin set up Legacy II?

I am 6'0", and can fit in the twin bed space.  That said, once I was able to lie down on a twin bed model we opted for the standard bed configuration in our Hull #1291 because my shoulders hung off the twin bed platform enough that I was not comfortable.  The twin bed area may not be either long enough or wide enough for you.

We have been pleased with the standard, king-sized bed.  It works for us because we just leave the bed made up and limit ourselves to the dinette area for eating/reading, etc,

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

Thanks to all for this amazing intel. I believe you’re all correct in saying, “Go see one for yourself!”. Kinda like trying on hats, I guess…you gotta see if it fits😀 This is really great, friends, hearing from each of you and your vast knowledge. Thanks to all for your insights 😃

• Like 1

On 6/22/2024 at 1:21 PM, jd1923 said:

Some owners have removed the nightstand and built a platform to create a RV king bed space which gives much more width and some length on an angle.

We built a "Lagun Table" with grooved edges underneath so as to place between the twin rails.  When in place, the tabletop now supports the added cushion between the twins turning the sleeping area into a single/larger area that's more than enough for my 6' frame and D's 5'7" physique.  This way, we keep the nightstand and sleep port/stbd instead of fore/aft.

As far as @topgun2's shower comment - 100% concur.  If I was 6'4", I'd likely sit on the toilet to wash rather than stoop.  How do you handle "rain locker" operations, @Patriot?

• Like 2

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca"
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

ALAZARCOIDLAMSMTNMOKTNTXUTWYsm.jpg

1 hour ago, MAX Burner said:

We built a "Lagun Table" with grooved edges underneath so as to place between the twin rails.  When in place, the tabletop now supports the added cushion between the twins turning the sleeping area into a single/larger area that's more than enough for my 6' frame and D's 5'7" physique.  This way, we keep the nightstand and sleep port/stbd instead of fore/aft.

As far as @topgun2's shower comment - 100% concur.  If I was 6'4", I'd likely sit on the toilet to wash rather than stoop.  How do you handle "rain locker" operations, @Patriot?

@MAX Burner

Pre delivery, we had Oliver custom cut a hole in the shower ceiling directly above my head and then add a water tight automatic rain locker “moon roof” for that little extra 1” of clearance. This is a one off mod and Oliver wanted me to keep it low key. 🤣🤣

In all seriousness, it has not been an issue for me at all at 6’3. I can’t stand completely straight up, but it all works out, a total non shower 🚿 issue here. 😊

Onward!

Edited by Patriot
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR”

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor 

North Carolina 🇺🇸

IMG_2879.jpeg

I am 6'3" and at 240 lbs, I fit fine.  Laying on my back, my head is clear by about an inch or so and the balls of my feet touch the cabinets.  This is likely because I am not lying flat, head on pillow and butt sinking into the mattress.  It doesn't bother me since I rarely stretch out on the bed.  I sleep on my side and 30 inches wide is just about right.

The bathroom is cramped but I don't spend much time in there anyway, so I don't care.  

• Like 1

2014 Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel 4X4 Truck

2024 Oliver Legacy Elite II Hull 1460

ARILINIAKSKYLAMIMNMONMOHOKPASDTNTXVAmed.

• 3 weeks later...

At 6’6”, now down to 200#, I wondered the same.  1 king or 2 twins. 
I am a side sleeper, and must have like the fetal position so much in the womb, that I sleep (legs) tucked up a bit.
So no brainer for me. 2 twins. 
Added benefit, if I get a leg cramp, rather than have to jump up in the middle of the night, then try to stand up to stretch out a calf/foot…  I just stretch out that leg an press against the wall.  Works every time.  And Maggie sleeps right thru it. 

Bathroom shower is difficult for me.
So I sit on regular toilet seat and then shower.
I am looking for a reinforced lid though… the thought me splitting/cracking the lid and part of me that is sitting down getting pinched does concern me, however, I have not heard of that happening. 

B~Out

• Like 3

Maggie & Bryan | Arnegard, ND | 2020 LE II "Twins" Hull #665 | 2021 RAM 2500  6.4L HEMI Gasser  4dr  6.5' bed

ABBCMBNBNTNSONPEQCSKYTALARCTDEFLGAILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMONENHNJNYNCNDOHOKPARISCSDTNTXVTVAWVWIxlg.jpg.d41b39fcf844ad1935d35acdc8a6c203.jpg

14 hours ago, SNY SD UP said:

So I sit on regular toilet seat and then shower.
I am looking for a reinforced lid though…

Why not just sit normally on the toilet seat, lid open? It's certainly more comfortable too!

• Moderators
2 hours ago, jd1923 said:

Why not just sit normally on the toilet seat, lid open? It's certainly more comfortable too!

Wouldn't work well with a composting toilet. 

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

4 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

Wouldn't work well with a composting toilet. 

Would never had thought of that! Another reason I’m never owning one of them. I put them with EVs, modern products NFM!