How To: Bathroom Door Hold Open

John E Davies

You know how it is when you are parked just slightly off level toward the street - the door will not stay open, no way, no how....

IMG_3048.thumb.jpg.f5c84719dd53d2987e1f811c013f1b8e.jpg

IMG_3050.thumb.jpg.f00bc6e2b186c765acbe49777bd157a4.jpg

The eyelet is a thin piece of stainless steel, with a hole in it just large enough to allow two sections of standard nylon paracord to slide through it with a good amount of drag. When installing onto the door, be sure to support the bottom of the door or it might come apart, since that screw holds the frame together at the upper corner.

The cord is adjustable for length just by sliding it, and you can remove it entirely by pulling through the eyelet since there is no knot in the left side of it.

Set the length so that it will just slip under the knob at the bottom for travel.

IMG_3053.thumb.jpg.a9d93b1d1718d214453deccc5a6ccef8.jpg

IMG_3054.thumb.jpg.dc7cece5c2e9b9542622eaba975c14ab.jpg

Works good, if you slip the end under just the outer arm of the coat hook, you can still hang stuff like hats from it.

Be sure to sear the cut ends or they will look nasty. And you don't have to use bright green ;)

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

We just got the small door magnets. On Command strips hold one on the bottom of the door and one on the side under the dinette seat. They work well and not very noticeable at all. Mike

• Thanks 4
  • Like 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

no way, no how….

Mr. MacGyver, this one cracked me up. I appreciate your ingenuity. To my level-headed-farm-boy husband's dismay, I'm a bit of a nerd myself & was wondering ... [Keep in mind I've only been inside an Ollie II once & that was a couple months ago.] Could you slice one side of a swim noodle & cut it to fit the width of the door jam, then shove the noodle over the edge of the jam to keep the door open?

Chris & Duke Chadwell
🐾Maddie & Baxter🐾
Elite II Hull 292
2022 F-250 Lariat 7.3 Godzilla 4x4 Lakeland,FL

Could you slice one side of a swim noodle & cut it to fit the width of the door jam, then shove the noodle over the edge of the jam to keep the door open?

Sure, a noodle or a piece of slit water pipe insulation would work for off season ventilation, but that will only hold it art way....

This is intended for when you are occupying the trailer for a short time, for example a Rest Stop, and want to keep the door fully open. Sometimes we don't disconnect and/or run down the jacks down for overnight, if I can get the trailer close to level by maneuvering. If the trailer has a slight right cant, the door won't stay open without this string, or the magnets mentioned above, which I was too dim to think of.

We keep the dog water bowl in the bathroom, so the door needs to be open most of the time.

You can always prop it open with a shoe or some other object, but that doesn't work very well.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators
Mike & Carol – Ya got a picture of your door magnets? Bill

I don't right now. We're going to drive over to the storage in a bit to make sure all is OK. Will bring back pics.

Mike

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• 10 months later...

HI Mike, I like your magnets to hold the bathroom door open. I ordered the same item. It came with holes to attach with screws but I don’t want to put holes in my Oliver. You mentioned that you attached with 3M tape. Did you use a special kind of 3M tape and is it remaining secure after using for awhile?

• Moderators

Nana -

I'm sure that Mike & Carol will respond, but, in the meantime -

I also used their idea and like you I didn't want to drill to install them. I used Command double sided tape:

https://www.amazon.com/Command-General-Decorative-20-Strips-GP023-20NA/dp/B0751VFF2P/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1530229593&sr=8-5&keywords=command+strips&dpID=51vrI6-Vl1L&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

of the appropriate size a year ago and there has been absolutely no movement in either magnet to date.

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• 2 weeks later...

[attachment file=Bath Door Magnet.pdf]

[attachment file=Bath Door Magnet2.JPG]

We used the magnet method also. Ours are a little flatter. Used the 3M Adhesive/sealer Oliver used on trailer. Not near trailer right now to take pics but attached is where I ordered.

Bath-Door-Magnet.pdf

• Like 1

Scott&Ricki

2017 Legacy Elite II Twin, Hull 225, The Bus 
2007 Tundra 
Prev: 2003 Casita, 2009 Weekend Warrior 

Well Well Well ,

We won't pick up our Ollie until next week, and I ordered two pair from the big "A". Thanks guys, I'm ahead of the game-- for once...

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

Mike, just received my magnets from Amazon and installed them with Command tape. I have been looking for something just like this to replace the bungee cord that I have been using. This works great and looks much better, thanks!

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2017 Elite II, Hull #208

2019 Chevy HD 2500 Duramax

• Moderators
Mike, just received my magnets from Amazon and installed them with Command tape. I have been looking for something just like this to replace the bungee cord that I have been using. This works great and looks much better, thanks!

It’s been a year since we stuck our magnets on and they show no signs of coming off! Glad it’s working for you. Mike

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I used Mike's magnet-and-Command-Strip method, but found that I could put one magnet on the door and the other one inside the compartment under the seat. This has two advantages as far as I can tell:

It eliminates adding another protuberance.

It weakens the magnetic pull, making it easy to pull the door back and not put any strain on the door. (These magnets are pretty powerful.) I think that someone mentioned having to put something over the magnets to weaken the pull. Putting one magnet inside the compartment accomplishes the same thing.

IMG_8246.thumb.jpg.bf234cb482f30c824a89f1bd50cb90f7.jpg

• Thanks 5
  • Like 3

Onward through the Fog!

EarthPicks of Cochise County

AZCACOKSMONVNMORTNTXUTmed.jpg

• Moderators

Jeff, brilliant! What a great idea! Why didn’t I think of that? I’m going to do as you did when I have the trailer here later this week. We’re loading up to head to Quartzsite (passing through Cochise County!) then on to California. Mike

• Thanks 1

What a great idea! Why didn’t I think of that?

Well, Mike, I wouldn't have thought of it if you hadn't thought of the magnet-Command-strip solution in the first place. If it works out, and you have a stay over in our neck of the woods, perhaps we can connect. It was viewing your Ollie that cinched our decision to get one.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Onward through the Fog!

EarthPicks of Cochise County

AZCACOKSMONVNMORTNTXUTmed.jpg

• 2 years later...
On 1/13/2019 at 11:55 AM, Spike said:

I used Mike's magnet-and-Command-Strip method, but found that I could put one magnet on the door and the other one inside the compartment under the seat. This has two advantages as far as I can tell:

It eliminates adding another protuberance.

It weakens the magnetic pull, making it easy to pull the door back and not put any strain on the door. (These magnets are pretty powerful.) I think that someone mentioned having to put something over the magnets to weaken the pull. Putting one magnet inside the compartment accomplishes the same thing.

IMG_8246.thumb.jpg.bf234cb482f30c824a89f1bd50cb90f7.jpg

Spike,

did you use the same magnets that Mike & Carol used?

if not, which magnets did you buy???

Maggie & Bryan | Arnegard, ND | 2020 LE II "Twins" Hull #665 | 2021 RAM 2500  6.4L HEMI Gasser  4dr  6.5' bed

ABBCMBNBNTNSONPEQCSKYTALARCTDEFLGAILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMONENHNJNYNCNDOHOKPARISCSDTNTXVTVAWVWIxlg.jpg.d41b39fcf844ad1935d35acdc8a6c203.jpg

We ordered on Amazon the same magnetics that Mike and Carol have in their picture and they came with screws and double sided tape.

We put one magnetic on the bottom corner of the door and (instead of placing the other magnetic on the face of the fiberglass under the dinette seat) the second magnetic was installed inside of the cabinet, out of site, and this installation holds the door open with no problem.

• Like 3

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine