Outdoor propane grill and griddle recommendations

hobo

I'm sure somewhere on this forum, this subject has been addressed but for the life of me, I can't seem to figure out to do a "search" for select subject matters.

In any case, the existing info might be a little dated anyway so I'll just ask the collective for suggestions.

Looking for specific recommendations for a grill as we plan on doing as little inside cooking as possible, weather permitting.

We do have the external propane ports on our trailer (to be delivered 1 May).

Thanks for any insight.

Hobo

2018 Elite II, Hull #414 (the very last 2018 produced).  Trailer name "2 HOBOS" .   2018 F250 4X4 Crew Cab, 6.7L diesel

Most people will tell you to get the Weber Q grill and I agree that's probably the best all around model.  I'm used to using an infrared grill at home, so we opted instead for the Charbroil Grill2Go.  I've been happy with it, but I could have gone either way.

With either one, you'll have to swap out/convert the regulator to work with the low pressure system on the Ollie. With the Weber, you can buy a kit, but I had to make my own for the Charbroil.

@ Hobo:

To search you first must log in.

Then go to Forums/Recent Topics.

There is a bar just below the words "Recent Topics".

Enter in your search string.  Try:  "Outdoor propane grill and griddle recommendations".

It will lead you to a robust discussion of this topic.

The Search function of our Forum is a great resource.  I use it all the time!

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

@ HOBO:

Welcome to our Forum!  You may want to fill in some info in your Profile, such as your tow vehicle and which Oliver you are purchasing.

IF you don't have a pick-up style tow vehicle (TV), then you are most likely going to want to carry your grill in/on your Oliver.  If that is the case for transporting your grill, four options come to my mind:  Jerry rig a mount for it on the bumper (Ugly), the rear storage compartment, in the trailer tongue box or get creative with another option.

You will find that very quickly you will fill up your rear storage space with items that need to go there (Search:  "Milk Crate" or "buckets").  The front tongue storage "box" for owners that have not yet converted their TV to a pick-up, generally use the front box for muddy things such as "dunage" or "Chocks"  (Lots of discussions on those two topics can be searched),  maybe their "generator" (Another great Forum topic to search), or possibly a 2 1/2 gallon "gas can" should you be a boondocker or not have a mega gas tank in your TV.  And some of us use the front tow box for all of those items.

Problem is that most of the popular grills take up more space than is available to those owners that don't have a pick-up style TV's.  I quickly found that the obvious spaces get filled with other higher priority things, or take up space (Front storage box) that is needed by things that get messy.  I am now thinking of a grill that can be put into a storage case and sat on the floor of the bathroom for transport!  That way if it "leaks", the impact and clean-up would be contained and easy to deal with.  I would be very interested in hearing what other creative ideas our Owners have come up with for their grills.

Should this be your situation, I  recommend that you not "pre-buy" a grill, but wait until you shake out the storage spaces first.  Then buy a grill that is sized to fit the place you plan on transporting and storing it.   Sort of a "Measure twice and buy the grill once" approach.

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

• Moderators

I prefer cooking over a campfire, when possible. We carry a grate in a trash bag.

We used to carry a small infrared grill. I loved it, but, since we love a wood fire more, it got little use. It's been in the garage for years...

Sherry

Edited by SeaDawg
Spelling

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

@ HOBO:

Welcome to our Forum! You may want to fill in some info in your Profile, such as your tow vehicle and which Oliver you are purchasing.

IF you don’t have a pick-up style tow vehicle (TV), then you are most likely going to want to carry your grill in/on your Oliver. If that is the case for transporting your grill, four options come to my mind: Jerry rig a mount for it on the bumper (Ugly), the rear storage compartment, in the trailer tongue box or get creative with another option.

You will find that very quickly you will fill up your rear storage space with items that need to go there (Search: “Milk Crate” or “buckets”). The front tongue storage “box” for owners that have not yet converted their TV to a pick-up, generally use the front box for muddy things such as “dunage” or “Chocks” (Lots of discussions on those two topics can be searched), maybe their “generator” (Another great Forum topic to search), or possibly a 2 1/2 gallon “gas can” should you be a boondocker or not have a mega gas tank in your TV. And some of us use the front tow box for all of those items.

Problem is that most of the popular grills take up more space than is available to those owners that don’t have a pick-up style TV’s. I quickly found that the obvious spaces get filled with other higher priority things, or take up space (Front storage box) that is needed by things that get messy. I am now thinking of a grill that can be put into a storage case and sat on the floor of the bathroom for transport! That way if it “leaks”, the impact and clean-up would be contained and easy to deal with. I would be very interested in hearing what other creative ideas our Owners have come up with for their grills.

Should this be your situation, I recommend that you not “pre-buy” a grill, but wait until you shake out the storage spaces first. Then buy a grill that is sized to fit the place you plan on transporting and storing it. Sort of a “Measure twice and buy the grill once” approach.

Dog gone it;  I was sure I filled in my profile because someone made the same suggestion a little while ago.  I must be doing something wrong.  Can someone give me a refresher on this?  Thanks for noticing that.  Hobo

2018 Elite II, Hull #414 (the very last 2018 produced).  Trailer name "2 HOBOS" .   2018 F250 4X4 Crew Cab, 6.7L diesel

OH, I do in fact tow with pickup truck so space, although not unlimited, is less of an issue for me than some.

Hobo –

PM sent re editing profile.

Bill

Thanks Bill.

Per your instructions, I think I just fixed it.  Thanks and if someone sees it's NOT fixed, please let me know.

• 2 months later...

Hi y'all,

I have a Camp Chef Mountain Series Everest High Pressure 2-Burner Camp Stove, and I use the green bottles or larger tanks of propane to fuel it.  That said, I would like to be able to hook up the stove directly to the Oliver's quick connects located outside the trailer to save on the added space and work of bringing "offline" propane tanks.  I understand that there may be an issue relating to simply connecting the stove using the existing regulators (one on the trailer's tanks and the other on the stove).  It seems that you cannot have two regulators connected in series as the flow would be decreased too much and therefore provide an insufficient amount of propane to properly fuel the stove.

Some have suggested modifications, which may include the removal of the stove's regulator which would only leave one regulator in play (the regulator connected to the RV's tanks).  I believe the RV pressure is considered "low-pressure" If I were to do this, would the pressure be sufficient to fuel a "high-pressure" stove?  Trying to figure this out as best I can, please help if you have direct relevant experience.  Thank you and all the best!!

2016 RAM 2500 LARAMIE MEGA CAB 4X4

2017 OLE2 - King Bed

To supply a high pressure appliance, you'll have to split the line at the one of the tanks - attach the trailer's regulator to one end and your high pressure line to the other.  Then coil up the high pressure line and keep it stowed by the tanks with bungees or something.  I have a high pressure stove and used it that way for the first year.  Worked fine, but it was a bit of a pain to deal with, plus the splitter and collection of adapters I needed to connect my particular high pressure line didn't inspire confidence.

• Thanks 1

We use a Camp Chef. It is a two burner unit with an oven. We have even baked a cake in it. Biscuits too. We have a grill/griddle that we modified to fit the burners…

Maniac,  Does the Camp Chef require any modifications to run directly off of the trailer external connections?  We just purchased the Camp Chef three burner from Costco but don't have our trailer yet.

Does the Camp Chef require any modifications to run directly off of the trailer external connections?

We bought the Camp Chef RV Connection Hose from Amazon. The connection hose comes straight down from the stove, or staight up during storage. I discovered that placing other things on top of the stove in the tow vehicle caused the hose to kink right at the point of connection, affecting propane flow. So I purchased a 90° elbow connector so that the connection hose now projects sideways, and that solved the problem.

• Thanks 1

David Stillman, Salt Lake City, Utah

2016 Oliver Elite II  Hull 164    |    2017 Audi Q7 tow vehicle. 

Travel and Photography Blog: http://davidstravels.net

I ordered our new Elite II with the quick disconnect LP couplers, I have also purchased a 1/4"  25' LP extension hose and this connector, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KXPVCXQ/ref=sspa_dk_detail_17?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B07KXPVCXQ  I attached it to the end of the new 25' extension hose and the quick coupler fitting to the other to plug it into the trailer. I can just connect any LP appliance to it, be it a LP grill, campfire, or any LP product that need LP fuel. Yes you will be using two regulators which does nothing to LP gas performance to the accessories and anyone can bring there grill, etc. over and just plug it in if need be.

trainman

• Thanks 1

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

Unfortunately that’s not true.  I wish it were as that would make things much simpler. But many appliances will need their regulator replaced with a valve and some will require you to bypass Oliver’s regulator entirely, since they require higher pressure than what that regulator provides.

Thanks for that.  I ended up purchasing a 4-way valve, and hooked it up as you said...upstream on one side of the regulator.  The 4-way comes with one 1-lb male connection, which I can hook up a hose to and simply attach it to the regulator on my Camp Chef Everest stove.  Should work fine, and I will update this comment if it does not.  Definitely saves some space on not having to bring so many green or larger propane bottles/tanks.  Anyhow, thanks again!!

• Thanks 1

2017 OLE2 - King Bed

Very impressed with Campchef stove run off the propane tanks---easy set up and with a 60K burner and Pizza Oven, you can get to 700 degrees for a crisp pizza margherita.  Seems prudent to cook outdoors whenever possible with the Ollie.  I suspect you could fry up a nice pile of perch or shellcrackers  as well!

• Thanks 1

Tow with 2018 Chevy Colorado baby Duramax, plug-in solar--dual awnings.  

Unfortunately that’s not true. I wish it were as that would make things much simpler. But many appliances will need their regulator replaced with a valve and some will require you to bypass Oliver’s regulator entirely, since they require higher pressure than what that regulator provides.

I'm sure there are exceptions , but for the small grill and Little Red Campfire that I use it has not been a problem. I have this setup on our Casita at the present time with no problems. For appliances that require a larger volume of LP gas to power them correctly you would be right on the regulator setup.

trainman

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

I ended up purchasing a 4-way valve

Choied,

Can you post the retailer whom you purchased this valve. Brand, manufacturer, specs. It appears this is what I need - thanks

RB

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

I purchased the following on Amazon: Camco Propane Brass 4 Port Tee- Comes with 5ft and 12ft Hoses, Allows for Connection Between Auxiliary Propane Cylinder and Propane Appliances (59123)

2017 OLE2 - King Bed