Our New Forum

topgun2

• Moderators

Thanks to months of hard work by Jason Walmsley we are now allowed to play in a brand new sandbox.  Over the past weeks the Moderators have had the ability to poke around, throw some sand and generally play as we tested and tried to make things break.  As we get familiar with these new surroundings, we trust that everyone will find the new Forum easier, more stable and yet more flexible while still allowing for the great discussions, stories and information that we have always had.

If anyone has problems with the Forum, be sure to let any of the Moderators or Jason Walmsley know so that we can seek a solution right away.

Enjoy!

• Thanks 5
  • Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Well, this is a huge issue for me, I hope this new Attachment Limit  is not permanent feature.... I would post a screen shot but I am no longer allowed to post pics. I have use up 141% of my Attachments. There is a 488 MB limit now, which is not actually very big.

I am a prolific image poster and if I have to start deleting old ones to free up room for new images, then it will destroy any value in those older tech posts.

Comments? Is this temporary? I hope? 

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Another issue, all of the links on this page work are now broken... is there any way to bring them back so that I do not have to painfully reconstruct the entire page?

https://olivertraveltrailers.com/forums/topic/3244-john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Thanks,

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

The attachment limit was noted in testing but I think we weren’t sure at the time if the limit was part of the test software. It’s not something that the moderators can change so I’ll ask Jason if he can look into it. 

The issue with the links looks like it’s because there’s now a new level /forums/ in the addresses. I think that may be a remnant of having both forums going at once during testing, with the new one being in a different directory. I’ll ask about that as well. 

• Administrators
10 hours ago, John E Davies said:

Well, this is a huge issue for me, I hope this new Attachment Limit  is not permanent feature.... I would post a screen shot but I am no longer allowed to post pics. I have use up 141% of my Attachments. There is a 488 MB limit now, which is not actually very big.

I am a prolific image poster and if I have to start deleting old ones to free up room for new images, then it will destroy any value in those older tech posts.

John Davies

Spokane WA

I increased file sizes limits on images.

John, I added urlmatch redirects, so far testing your URLs in your post and it appears to be working for me. 

Please message me if you have any issues or have any questions.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Full Stack Developer/Marketing @ Oliver Companies

Oliver Forums Guidelines & Rules

• Moderator+

Can the justification be changed from center back to left?

• Like 3

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

14 hours ago, JWalmsley said:

I increased file sizes limits on images.

Can you please tell us what the new limit for Attachments is? I am sure everybody would like to know. I don't see any way of determining that at this end. All I see is the list in descending order by date and a total number, not how much storage is left.

Will a user get a notice when he is approaching the limit? 

BTW thanks for promptly taking care of things. I like the new forum so far.

EDIT: Never mind, I tried adding an image and it said Max File size 511MB. Is that for real?

The Drag File feature is very cool and long overdue, it is quick and easy on a Desktop computer.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Max File Size.png

Edited by John E Davies

• Administrators
5 hours ago, John E Davies said:

Can you please tell us what the new limit for Attachments is? I am sure everybody would like to know. I don't see any way of determining that at this end. All I see is the list in descending order by date and a total number, not how much storage is left.

Will a user get a notice when he is approaching the limit? 

BTW thanks for promptly taking care of things. I like the new forum so far.

EDIT: Never mind, I tried adding an image and it said Max File size 511MB. Is that for real?

The Drag File feature is very cool and long overdue, it is quick and easy on a Desktop computer.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Max File Size.png

Hi John, It is currently set to unlimited - however the server settings have their own defined allowable file size. This should be perfect for any and all photos.

Thanks Jason! This new forum software looks great!

Questions: 

1)On the old forum I could click on the banner at the top to go to the Oliver website. Clicking on the banner above no longer goes to the Oliver website. How do I get to the Oliver website from this forum?

2)There used to be a “slide out” or “drop down” menu with a tab to access Service. How do I access Service now? 

3)How will posts created in the old forum react to being modified in the new forum?

The following picture is a test insertion 

6DFC4A4C-3AD6-43F2-BDD6-229A98487AC1.jpeg

And we can now insert videos 

Edited by Townesw
Playing around with the new forum
  • Like 1

Bill and Martha

2018 LEII Hull 313

2019 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax

• Moderators

You can get to the factory website by clicking on the three stacked bars, upper right, then click on " home".

Hope this helps. SherryScreenshot_20191026-172554_Chrome.thumb.jpg.96744b1e7b8b987fdbdaf4ac66000c03.jpg

Edited by SeaDawg
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

RE question #1 - What Sherry said - or - if you are using a computer versus a tablet or phone - simply click on the "Home" tab at the top of the page in order to get to the Oliver website.

Re question #2 - From this "Home" tab which takes you to the Oliver website you can then hit "contact" and a drop down menu will show "Service".

Re question #3 - I don't know (yet) - so, I'll have to leave this one to another Moderator or Jason.

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Administrators
3 hours ago, Townesw said:

Thanks Jason! This new forum software looks great!

Questions: 

1)On the old forum I could click on the banner at the top to go to the Oliver website. Clicking on the banner above no longer goes to the Oliver website. How do I get to the Oliver website from this forum?

2)There used to be a “slide out” or “drop down” menu with a tab to access Service. How do I access Service now? 

3)How will posts created in the old forum react to being modified in the new forum?

The following picture is a test insertion 

6DFC4A4C-3AD6-43F2-BDD6-229A98487AC1.jpeg

And we can now insert videos 

B6B3F93C-8AE7-416C-AE1E-C6CCE4A1A808.MOV 3.96 MB · 5 downloads

1) Answered by Topgun and Sherry. Thank you!

2) There is now a "Service" menu items in the forums Header Navigation Menu, complete with "Tickets" dropdown menu.

3) There should be no problems with editing pre-conversion topics. I edited several during the testing phase and post-conversion phase as well and have had no negative effect. 🙂

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

On 10/25/2019 at 9:23 PM, John E Davies said:

John Davies

Spokane WA

I think the graphics should be kept, maybe selectively deleted based upon a 5 star rating system.in general, delete the lower stars after a set amount of time, but keep the blue chip ones, which would be generally viewed as more valuable, and therefore, protected from automated deletion.

2016 Oliver Legacy Elite II;  #129

Ordered in 2015, picked up in 2016.  My friend Don Thompson picked his up right in front of me, very cool dude.

2016 Nissan Titan XD, Diesel

• Moderators

Vector -

Jason has already increased file size limits as per his post above.  If that doesn't cure the issue, I'm sure that other steps will be taken.  Thanks for the suggestion!

Bill

• Moderators

After I go in and look at the notifications items, the bell dot disappears.  I haven't found a way to delete the listed items. I'm guessing a certain number of items stay, then roll off ?

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Just now have had the chance to jump onto the new Forum.  Thanks to all those involved for the hard word on the improvements.  I’m trying to get used to the new format....is there still a “recent topics” page?  

Thanks!!

Jim & Mary

Bozeman, Montana

2017 Legacy Elite II-Hull #294

2019 GMC Sierra 2500

Thank you Jason for the new Forum! Pages load much faster!

I am very happy with the new search tools! They work so much better!

1 hour ago, RunninOnMT said:

is there still a “recent topics” page?  

Thanks!!

At first I was unhappy about the loss of the Recent Topics link, but the All Activity link seems to serve a similar purpose. I have replaced my old http://olivertraveltrailers.com/recent-topics/  bookmark with https://olivertraveltrailers.com/forums/discover/.

The new search tools work really well. On a desktop browser, entering a search term and hitting enter retrieves your search results. Now if one clicks on the More Search Options button you get to an Advanced Search page. Would it be possible to have a link to the Advanced Search page on the main forum page for desktop browsers? On iOS devices simply selecting the search icon opens up the Advanced Search page. 

Minor things. 

The signature lines under posts appear to be triple spaced. Could the go back to single spaced?

I agree with ScubaRx about the center justification on an iPhone, which is disconcerting. It is fine (left justified) on an iPad. 

There is a “This stream auto-updates” on a desktop browser and on the iPad. This is very cool! That text does not appear on an iPhone. Can that functionality be added to the iPhone? Edit. This does work on the iPhone. 

Another Edit. 

I had a bell icon Notification about a Private Message. However, in the past I got an email about a PM. Is that feature no longer working? 

One very cool new feature: We can now send documents to another forum member via the PM system! 

Edited by DavidS
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

David Stillman, Salt Lake City, Utah

2016 Oliver Elite II  Hull 164    |    2017 Audi Q7 tow vehicle. 

Travel and Photography Blog: http://davidstravels.net

• Moderators

Pm and other email notifications have not been turned on yet, as far as I can see. Probably best, until we all get used to the new formats, and set up our personalized notification settings. 

Sherry 

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators
3 hours ago, RunninOnMT said:

I’m trying to get used to the new format....is there still a “recent topics” page?  

Thanks!!

I click on the pages symbol at the top to see activity since I  last looked.

Or, you can go to the dropdown menu (3 horizontal bars), and click on activity, with more selections.

Screenshot_20191027-192803_Chrome.jpg

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators

And, there's this on the bottom of the Forums page, if that's where you normally look.

And, any forums containing posts you haven't seen are bolded. When you click on the forum, the unread posts are bolded, and a black dot appears beside unread posts.

Screenshot_20191027-194102_Chrome.jpg

Edited by SeaDawg

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

20 hours ago, DavidS said:

The signature lines under posts appear to be triple spaced. Could they go back to single spaced?

Each forum member needs to do this themselves.

From your picture on the upper right of the page, click to see the drop-down menu and select Account Settings. On the left side select Signature. Edit your signature and then click Save. 

• Thanks 2

David Stillman, Salt Lake City, Utah

2016 Oliver Elite II  Hull 164    |    2017 Audi Q7 tow vehicle. 

Travel and Photography Blog: http://davidstravels.net

Thanks for all the feedback on my "Recent Topics" question.  It's snowing here in southwest Montana and temps are forecasted to hit record lows tonight....so I have an excuse to hunker down and get used to the new platform.

• Like 1

Jim & Mary

Bozeman, Montana

2017 Legacy Elite II-Hull #294

2019 GMC Sierra 2500