Jump to content

Towing Report: 2022 Subaru Limited + 2022 Elite I


DunnYet
 Share

Recommended Posts

Wanted to provide my experiences with our first trip home from the factory with 2022 Subaru Ascent Limited “Blue Moose” and Oliver Elite I Hull #1030 “Reset.” Your mileage and experience may vary from mine. Note: I’m missing some numbers here (intended to stop at a scale and get weights) so those will either be added to the comments or edited directly into this post at a later date.

The Tow Vehicle

Blue Moose is a 2022 Model Year Limited trim line in the 8 seat (middle bench seat) version. We went with the Limited for the middle bench seat as we anticipated it being a cargo platform more than a seat. We opted for the factory towing package, which includes pre-wired 4 and 7 pin receivers as well as an under dash pre-wired brake controller plug in. Rated towing capacity is 5,000 lbs on the 2 inch hitch receiver. We opted not to purchase the Subaru hitch and ball, instead opting for an aftermarket hitch and ball.

Brake Controller

I installed a Redarc Tow Pro Elite V3 unit behind the dash secured with zip ties and automotive adhesive tape to the beam behind the steering wheel. Unfortunately, I did not take photos but I may go back and get those and add to a separate article. The Redarc unit stock cable matches up perfectly with the Subaru brake controller harness provided with the factory tow package – connect color to color. 

On this trip I ran the controller in proportional mode at setting 3 – will likely move to 5 on the next run. This likely deserves it’s own writeup and I would appreciate collaboration with other on the forum regarding your setup, testing and experience with the Redarc.

Towing Setup

After reading a large number of different opinions on hitch height, I opted for a 2-inch drop / 4-inch rise hitch and installed it in the 4-inch rise position. This was anticipating a 2-inch sink once Reset was connected. However, it turned out that even with all the items in the back of the ascent that would eventually move to the trailer, the 4-inch rise was way too high and we flipped it to the 2-inch drop side during delivery. Pulling out of the bay we were slightly nose down on the trailer, however once we moved the cold food, the trailer furnishings, and the cooking gear the weight shifted and the tow vehicle and trailer rode almost precisely level.

I think that once we put our normal camping load in we may end up needing to move to an effectively “flat” hitch. I am planning to add the new Weigh-Safe Ball with an integrated scale to get more precise measurements of tongue weight. Another future edit.

Towing Experience

We set up our return trip using the 3 hours / 300 miles guidelines, even though we had towed our prior trailer much longer days in the past. Our goal was to be able to work through the launch and landing process carefully, and then have a shorter drive each day to learn the feel of the trailer. The first day (Hohenwald to Memphis) I limited speed to 65 mph max as that was the max on our previous setup. Stability was rock solid, engine RPM’s drifted in the high 1k to low 3k depending on the hills.

We had no issues on the “back-roads” section between Hohenwald and Lexington, handling both the curves and ups and downs of the hills. We were driving in intermittent rain at slightly above freezing temperatures and had no traction or steering problems. The engine spent no significant time above 2500 RPM at the mid 40’s speeds.

Once we pulled onto the highway, I brought it up to 65 mph and allowed the Eyesight driven adaptive cruse control to take over. The Ascent has a tendency to gear high in Adaptive cruse, generally adding 300 to 500 RPM onto what a careful human foot can achieve. Engine RPM settled into the 2-3k band with the instant gas milage reading settling around 14 MPG.
Based on mileage calculation filling up at the fuel pump, the tank average was 12.92, however there was some significant idling time with warming up the car and also having it running while doing pre-launch activity in the morning.

Second day was Memphis to Little Rock. Temperatures were cold and we spent some time during the day with a crosswind. Again, the Elite I was rock steady. At about the midway point I decided to start edging up the speed, first to 70 then to 75. Making measured steady passes of big trucks while towing was a new experience from our prior unit, which due to being light would get very tail happy above 60.

Engine RPM drifted higher as I moved up to 75, settling in at 3,500 for the majority of the day and breaking the 4k line on the occasional hill pass. Even at 75 in the light crosswind Reset followed true, not giving any indication of wanting to move side to side. Display MPG dropped to the mid 13 mid, and tank fill calculation was 13.13 for the day.

Final day we decided to make the Little Rock to Dallas leg a single run. The day was a repeat of the prior day – most of the day spent between 70 and 75 where permitted and display MPG in the low 13s given the longer stretches above 70. Tank fill MPG was 13.18 for the day.

Observations

The Ascent + Elite I combination has me impressed. If you need a “daily driver” that is a car frame and want something with a quiet comfortable ride, the Ascent made for an excellent long distance vehicle. It steers like a much smaller vehicle, and offers a solid feel both with and without a towing load. I will update this with better weight, hitch height information, and future impressions as we go forward, but my hope is this this info will help others considering this equipment combination.

Safe travels all!
 

 

20220224_143014929_iOS.jpg

  • Like 3

2022 Subaru Ascent "Blue Moose" towing 2022 Oliver Elite I - Hull #1030 "Reset"

AZARCACONMTXsm.jpg

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m impressed that you could return over 13mpg with the engine holding 3.5-4k rpm’s!  Thanks for the detailed report, could you provide the payload capacity shown on your door jam sticker?

  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

How are the brakes, are they working properly yet? Have you tried a really hard stop? Got TPMS? I am glad this has worked out so well, but you should slow down. A tire failure on a single axle trailer at 75 mph is going to be horrendous.

Have you considered an OBD2 monitor so you can see what is happening inside the engine, CVT and alternator?

https://www.scangauge.com/x-gauge-commands/2019-subaru-ascent/

How is the trailer charging, is that working? Does Reset have lithiums?

I have owned a couple of older Roos and I would be extra extra cautious about your engine and drivetrain durability, be very aggressive about fluid changes and I suggest full synthetics, if the Subaru OEM ones are not that type. My sister tows a 1200 pound braked teardrop trailer with a 2015 Forester CVT, without paddle shifters. I am waiting for a report that she has crashed  going down some steep Oregon grade. Do you use yours at all? How well do they help? Is there a Tow/ Haul setting? Subaru trannies are fairly reliable, better than the old automatics, but they are not repairable, they have to be replaced. And out of warranty that is going to be $$$: https://www.subaruforester.org/threads/2015-transmission-cvt-failure-report.808670/

Sorry for all the questions, you are a pioneer here, I think, with your Subaru. Please post pictures! I fixed the one you posted earlier. Thanks.

John Davies

Spokane WA

 

49A86508-E35F-4B43-BCF0-0E8E81603F1D.jpeg

  • Like 2

"Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II NARV (Not An RV) Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 33" LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for a great towing report.  You have truly set the bar high for this type of feedback.  I agree with John Davies on travelling speed.  IMO.. the biggest not talked about problem with Oliver trailers it how easy they tow and how that can lead us to travel at higher speeds than we might with a less forgiving trailer.  We tow our LE2 with a 2016 F150.  I use cruise control a LOT on the highway because it keeps me at or under 65 mph.  Under manual speed control you often look at the speedo and see that you're going over 70 and didn't even know it.   I always check my tires and do a complete walk around at rest stops, but you never know.  And, there is no shortage of idiots out there who for some reason love to cut in front of folks pulling trailers.   

Best of Luck to you with your new rig and welcome to the family.  Hope to see you on the road someday. 

Scotty

  • Like 3

Gregg & Donna Scott and Piper the Westie  -    The Flying Sea Turtle - Hull # 145     Western NC


CTDEGAMDMANHNJNYNCPASCTNVAxlg.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nice write up.  Seems your set up fits well with smaller Elite. I share the concern over braking - I would give the system a good test - just to ensure the worst case is manageable. Towing at 70 with a larger vehicle is much different than with a car based platform. Good travels

RB 

 

  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I forgot to ask, this is off topic a whole lot, how is the grass holding up at the Oliver CG? It looks pretty bad in your pic; from images posted last summer it appears that the contractor laid down and compacted a huge gravel parking lot, then put sod directly on top of that to delineate the campsites..  😳 Zoom in and study the grass, I think the first time somebody tries to mow it, the sod is going to lift up into the mower deck. It appears to be a “low bid” job…

F2883940-4564-4442-8967-E64FFB7AA48E.thumb.jpeg.a1e4de99bcd75289eb360289dc4ae2da.jpeg

Also I quite like your wheels, I am looking for a set of Acura takeoffs like yours. Now back to your towing thread. 

John Davies

Spokane WA

  • Haha 1

"Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II NARV (Not An RV) Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 33" LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nicely written report. Thank you. I will say I also cringed when you talked about speeds from 70-75 MPH. Having a trailer in tow adds so many variables to the equation that I want a little extra safety buffer if something goes wrong. RVing is supposed to be relaxing and fun. I'd rather take my time and arrive less stressed.

  • Thanks 1
  • Like 5

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.e6391b9064a3f8f0951751f985664135.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, DunnYet said:

Wanted to provide my experiences with our first trip home from the factory with 2022 Subaru Ascent Limited “Blue Moose” and Oliver Elite I Hull #1030 “Reset.” Your mileage and experience may vary from mine. Note: I’m missing some numbers here (intended to stop at a scale and get weights) so those will either be added to the comments or edited directly into this post at a later date.

The Tow Vehicle

Blue Moose is a 2022 Model Year Limited trim line in the 8 seat (middle bench seat) version. We went with the Limited for the middle bench seat as we anticipated it being a cargo platform more than a seat. We opted for the factory towing package, which includes pre-wired 4 and 7 pin receivers as well as an under dash pre-wired brake controller plug in. Rated towing capacity is 5,000 lbs on the 2 inch hitch receiver. We opted not to purchase the Subaru hitch and ball, instead opting for an aftermarket hitch and ball.

Brake Controller

I installed a Redarc Tow Pro Elite V3 unit behind the dash secured with zip ties and automotive adhesive tape to the beam behind the steering wheel. Unfortunately, I did not take photos but I may go back and get those and add to a separate article. The Redarc unit stock cable matches up perfectly with the Subaru brake controller harness provided with the factory tow package – connect color to color. 

On this trip I ran the controller in proportional mode at setting 3 – will likely move to 5 on the next run. This likely deserves it’s own writeup and I would appreciate collaboration with other on the forum regarding your setup, testing and experience with the Redarc.

Towing Setup

After reading a large number of different opinions on hitch height, I opted for a 2-inch drop / 4-inch rise hitch and installed it in the 4-inch rise position. This was anticipating a 2-inch sink once Reset was connected. However, it turned out that even with all the items in the back of the ascent that would eventually move to the trailer, the 4-inch rise was way too high and we flipped it to the 2-inch drop side during delivery. Pulling out of the bay we were slightly nose down on the trailer, however once we moved the cold food, the trailer furnishings, and the cooking gear the weight shifted and the tow vehicle and trailer rode almost precisely level.

I think that once we put our normal camping load in we may end up needing to move to an effectively “flat” hitch. I am planning to add the new Weigh-Safe Ball with an integrated scale to get more precise measurements of tongue weight. Another future edit.

Towing Experience

We set up our return trip using the 3 hours / 300 miles guidelines, even though we had towed our prior trailer much longer days in the past. Our goal was to be able to work through the launch and landing process carefully, and then have a shorter drive each day to learn the feel of the trailer. The first day (Hohenwald to Memphis) I limited speed to 65 mph max as that was the max on our previous setup. Stability was rock solid, engine RPM’s drifted in the high 1k to low 3k depending on the hills.

We had no issues on the “back-roads” section between Hohenwald and Lexington, handling both the curves and ups and downs of the hills. We were driving in intermittent rain at slightly above freezing temperatures and had no traction or steering problems. The engine spent no significant time above 2500 RPM at the mid 40’s speeds.

Once we pulled onto the highway, I brought it up to 65 mph and allowed the Eyesight driven adaptive cruse control to take over. The Ascent has a tendency to gear high in Adaptive cruse, generally adding 300 to 500 RPM onto what a careful human foot can achieve. Engine RPM settled into the 2-3k band with the instant gas milage reading settling around 14 MPG.
Based on mileage calculation filling up at the fuel pump, the tank average was 12.92, however there was some significant idling time with warming up the car and also having it running while doing pre-launch activity in the morning.

Second day was Memphis to Little Rock. Temperatures were cold and we spent some time during the day with a crosswind. Again, the Elite I was rock steady. At about the midway point I decided to start edging up the speed, first to 70 then to 75. Making measured steady passes of big trucks while towing was a new experience from our prior unit, which due to being light would get very tail happy above 60.

Engine RPM drifted higher as I moved up to 75, settling in at 3,500 for the majority of the day and breaking the 4k line on the occasional hill pass. Even at 75 in the light crosswind Reset followed true, not giving any indication of wanting to move side to side. Display MPG dropped to the mid 13 mid, and tank fill calculation was 13.13 for the day.

Final day we decided to make the Little Rock to Dallas leg a single run. The day was a repeat of the prior day – most of the day spent between 70 and 75 where permitted and display MPG in the low 13s given the longer stretches above 70. Tank fill MPG was 13.18 for the day.

Observations

The Ascent + Elite I combination has me impressed. If you need a “daily driver” that is a car frame and want something with a quiet comfortable ride, the Ascent made for an excellent long distance vehicle. It steers like a much smaller vehicle, and offers a solid feel both with and without a towing load. I will update this with better weight, hitch height information, and future impressions as we go forward, but my hope is this this info will help others considering this equipment combination.

Safe travels all!
 

 

20220224_143014929_iOS.jpg 2.81 MB · 16 downloads

This is perfect. The info on the hitch setup and the Weigh Safe Ball with integratred scale is particularly helpful. My Ascent is the Premium Trim level but all the other Ascent details are the same as you describe.  I am now much more confident in it's use.  Thanks!

Ron

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That's Subaru does a very good job pulling your new Elite I, sounds like you have a good combination between the two. We don't get a lot of info on pulling the Elite I on the forum, so glad you posted this for new owners of the Elite I to see. Sounds like your set for some camping fun.

trainman

  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #489, 2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators

Yes, thank you. We in the Elite crowd are a minority, and reports are hard to come by. 

The weight of the ascent and a reasonably loaded Elite seem to be a good match.

My brother just bought a gas Maverick, and loves it. I'm still skeptical of this as a tow vehicle,  but as a daily driver, he lives it, and the mpg.

If we do get to Minnesota this summer,  I'll see if we can do a test tow with his truck. It would be fun. 

 

 

  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/3/2022 at 5:36 AM, John E Davies said:

How are the brakes, are they working properly yet? Have you tried a really hard stop? Got TPMS? I am glad this has worked out so well, but you should slow down. A tire failure on a single axle trailer at 75 mph is going to be horrendous.

I carried a TPMS unit with me to install at the factory. Rolled out to the campsite without doing it. Decided that losing fingers in 28 degree rain was not worth installing them on the trip. Risk of losing fingers vs risk of brand new tire blowing out came down on the fingers side of the equation.  Possibly I have an unreasoned faith in the tire manufacturers. Installed the TPMS in 75 degree temps on the driveway today 🙂

Fortunately, traffic on the way back was calm so no crash stops. Focused on burnishing the brakes on the Ollie, light to medium braking. Eyesight kicked in a couple of times and I saw the indicator on the Redarc go red, so I know that the wiring harness is correct and the automatic brakes are being relayed to the trailer.  

On 3/3/2022 at 5:36 AM, John E Davies said:

Have you considered an OBD2 monitor so you can see what is happening inside the engine, CVT and alternator?

https://www.scangauge.com/x-gauge-commands/2019-subaru-ascent/

 

I have, had not pulled the trigger yet, but this sounds like a good excuse. I will tell Rebecca that "John said I need one." 🙂

On 3/3/2022 at 5:36 AM, John E Davies said:

How is the trailer charging, is that working? Does Reset have lithiums?

I need to verify this, but my understanding is that the Subaru factory harness on the Ascent does not support pushing charge power back to the trailer. Unlike a truck, the alternator is not sized for charging loads. However, this is based on reading the Ascent forums as well as the owners manuals, which can be a bit contradictory at times. Will do some work with the old multi-meter and try to update on the charging.

On this trip it was raining and grey all the time, and I know that we got to our second night with the batteries at 80% after running the fridge all day. So definitely something I need to get a better understanding on as we want to be able to do some light boondocking in the near future.

Reset is equipped with the 2022 Lithium Plus package for the Elite I, so two Lithionics batteries and the rooftop solar. Will be reading all the back posts in the forum on care and feeding for those.

On 3/3/2022 at 5:36 AM, John E Davies said:

I have owned a couple of older Roos and I would be extra extra cautious about your engine and drivetrain durability, be very aggressive about fluid changes and I suggest full synthetics, if the Subaru OEM ones are not that type. My sister tows a 1200 pound braked teardrop trailer with a 2015 Forester CVT, without paddle shifters. I am waiting for a report that she has crashed  going down some steep Oregon grade. Do you use yours at all? How well do they help? Is there a Tow/ Haul setting? Subaru trannies are fairly reliable, better than the old automatics, but they are not repairable, they have to be replaced. And out of warranty that is going to be $$$: https://www.subaruforester.org/threads/2015-transmission-cvt-failure-report.808670/

I had a Forrester with the CVT when we started looking at our Happer Camper HC1 back four years ago. The HC1 is about 990 lbs dry and likely 1200k the way we had it kitted out. When I discussed it with our Subaru tech his comment was "I'm in service, not sales. However, I would not recommend anything more that utility towing with the Forester. The Outback has the CVT setup properly for small travel towing. I would not be surprised to have problems on a Forester CVT with that load."

Good advice is invaluable. We replaced the Forester with an Outback. Lots of trips over four years, including a Dallas, New Mexico, Colorado, across Death Valley, Los Angeles, Phoenix, and Arizona trip. That one made liberal use of the paddle shifters in and out of Phoenix and through the Durango area. No issues with the CVT, traded the Outback with 100k miles in great condition on the current Ascent.

You are absolutely correct - being on top of the fluid changes is key. I am one of those people who has the dealership do all my adjustments and fluid changes so they keep the Subaru approved stuff in and I always discuss the "suggested" service bulletins so they are generally keeping up with the hidden ones as well as the public ones. Thus the relationship with my Subaru tech and the reason he felt comfortable shooting straight with me.

Fun fact - my son currently drives my older 2004 Forester (not the one mentioned above but it's predecessor) with over 360k miles. 🙂 Pre-CVT of course.

Now - Tow - Haul setting. That's a bit of black magic on the Ascent, lots of people have lots of opinions. You can't use anti sway hitch on an Ascent since it has special anti sway capabilities built in that are activated when it detects a connected 7-pin. No idea what else is activated when that 7-pin goes in, however just from "feeling" the way it changed after picking up the trailer my gut tells me that they are tweaking the shifting and power ratios.

On 3/3/2022 at 5:36 AM, John E Davies said:

Sorry for all the questions, you are a pioneer here, I think, with your Subaru. Please post pictures! I fixed the one you posted earlier. Thanks.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Love the questions, makes me think through things and possibly gives me questions of my own. Will post more photos - after I get the road salt and grime off of Reset. Appreciate the fix on the photo - I need to play with photo posting on this forum. iPhone photos and the new heic format are a PIT* when working from the laptop.

And now - without starting a new post...

On 3/3/2022 at 9:12 AM, John E Davies said:

I forgot to ask, this is off topic a whole lot, how is the grass holding up at the Oliver CG? It looks pretty bad in your pic; from images posted last summer it appears that the contractor laid down and compacted a huge gravel parking lot, then put sod directly on top of that to delineate the campsites..  😳 Zoom in and study the grass, I think the first time somebody tries to mow it, the sod is going to lift up into the mower deck. It appears to be a “low bid” job…

Of course everything was dormant grass wise, I don't know when they laid it down but I don't think it got much time to get settled before the winter. The worst thing was the drainage around the pad - I thanked them for the "lakefront" camping spot (Slot #1) for our overnight stay. I looked out of the trailer around midnight the little lights that mark the edge of the pad were glowing underwater at the rear of the pad. In the morning one had broken half way free and was floating.

On 3/3/2022 at 9:12 AM, John E Davies said:

Also I quite like your wheels, I am looking for a set of Acura takeoffs like yours. Now back to your towing thread. 

John Davies

Spokane WA

These are the stock wheels for the Ascent Limited (think they are the same on the Touring but not sure), I do like the way they look. When I first started looking at the Ascent platform I felt it was a bit clunky, but have come to really appreciate the details of "Blue Moose" in our first 4k miles. 

Thanks John for all the great questions - I don't think I missed any 🙂

Kevin

  • Like 4

2022 Subaru Ascent "Blue Moose" towing 2022 Oliver Elite I - Hull #1030 "Reset"

AZARCACONMTXsm.jpg

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/2/2022 at 9:40 PM, ChrisMI said:

I’m impressed that you could return over 13mpg with the engine holding 3.5-4k rpm’s!  Thanks for the detailed report, could you provide the payload capacity shown on your door jam sticker?

Would love to - even went out and took a photo. Unfortunately I can't figure out a way to attach a photo currently. Have tried three different image hosting sites as well as direct upload and nothing seems to be working. Will try again later.

  • Like 2

2022 Subaru Ascent "Blue Moose" towing 2022 Oliver Elite I - Hull #1030 "Reset"

AZARCACONMTXsm.jpg

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, DunnYet said:

Would love to - even went out and took a photo. Unfortunately I can't figure out a way to attach a photo currently. Have tried three different image hosting sites as well as direct upload and nothing seems to be working. Will try again later.

Not sure what is going wrong with posting pics, but I do know that some pics that I would like to post from the internet will not transfer to My Pictures on my computer, they go into File Explorer, but can't get them out a pics.

trainman

  • Thanks 1

Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #489, 2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators

I'm going to forward this to our admin, and start a new thread to see if others are having similar issues.

I moved your detailed response to the new thread. 

  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators
On 3/5/2022 at 6:00 PM, DunnYet said:

… Unfortunately I can't figure out a way to attach a photo currently.  Will try again later.

Or, You could just post the weight carrying capacity. 

  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Steve, Tali and the dogs: Reacher and Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie and Lucy (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD Diesel 4x4 

 

             801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, ScubaRx said:

Or, You could just post the weight carrying capacity. 

I’m not sure why I’m always so curious about payload.  Same thing with useful load…if someone lists their plane for sale I could care less what color it is.  I want to know what it’ll haul!

  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ChrisMI said:

I’m not sure why I’m always so curious about payload.  Same thing with useful load…if someone lists their plane for sale I could care less what color it is.  I want to know what it’ll haul!

We are always curious about payload/cargo rating of the tow vehicle because it does affect “what it’ll haul”.   Tongue weight of the trailer counts towards the tow vehicle payload number.   And a lot of people are unaware that they have exceeded their payload limit with the trailer hooked up, driver and passenger(s) weight, any installed accessories on the tow vehicle like a bed liner, bed cover, or bed cap, a toolbox, a loaded cooler, camping gear, etc. all loaded up.  It’s surprising how low the payload number is on some vehicles, even some 1/2 ton pickup trucks.   An Elite II tongue weight plus a driver and 1 passenger are ~1,000 lbs. of payload.   Even an Elite 1 with driver and passenger is ~750 to 800 lbs of payload.   But that Subaru Ascent looks like a pretty good match for an Elite I.   

  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2019 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #461

Tow Vehicles:

Primary - 2019 Ford F-250 SuperCab 4x4, 6.2L Flex-Fuel engine 

Backup - 2019 Nissan Armada 

visited-united-states-map.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A quick search for that Ascent Limited shows 1485 pounds "as delivered". I can't vouch for the accuracy, but it is a pretty decent figure for a unibody SUV..

John davies

Spokane WA

 

 

  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

"Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II NARV (Not An RV) Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 33" LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators
25 minutes ago, John E Davies said:

but it is a pretty decent figure for a unibody SUV..

Actually - that is remarkable.

  • Like 2

2017 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, topgun2 said:

Actually - that is remarkable.

(Referring to the 1485 lb. payload capacity of a Subaru Ascent).  That number exceeds, by 50 lbs ., the specified payload capacity of my 2019 Tundra Double Cab 5.7L with standard bed and towing package.

It is truly remarkable for a unibody SUV.

  • Like 2

Hull #?

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II with expected delivery November, 2022.

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, John E Davies said:

A quick search for that Ascent Limited shows 1485 pounds "as delivered". I can't vouch for the accuracy, but it is a pretty decent figure for a unibody SUV..

John davies

Spokane WA

 

 

That is the manufacturers provided number for the trim level.  On many other vehicles it seems like they are optimistic by 10-15%.  Still curious to see the actual but agree it is very impressive for that size of car. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/6/2022 at 12:16 PM, SeaDawg said:

I'm going to forward this to our admin, and start a new thread to see if others are having similar issues.

I moved your detailed response to the new thread. 

Yep - the whole time I was typing that I was thinking “This really should be a new thread.” Thanks for helping me out!!

  • Thanks 1

2022 Subaru Ascent "Blue Moose" towing 2022 Oliver Elite I - Hull #1030 "Reset"

AZARCACONMTXsm.jpg

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sorry for the delay in getting back to this, was on a work trip first part of the week and have some seat time flying back tonight to catch up.

Seating Capacity : Total 8

Front: 2

Rear: 6

The combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed 600kg or 1323 lbs. 

Again this is from the Limited Trim line without the sunroof.

B1544537-71F5-4942-ACA9-D58CB3F670B1.jpeg

  • Thanks 2

2022 Subaru Ascent "Blue Moose" towing 2022 Oliver Elite I - Hull #1030 "Reset"

AZARCACONMTXsm.jpg

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...