Model Year Changes - 2020 to 2023/2024

4 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

Our labor (however long it takes) is free, since we're retired.

Even "semi-retired", we convert our time into "money saved" and "projects completed!"  Love'n it!

• Like 2

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo S GX, Other Victron Stuff: SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller,  DC-DC Charger, 12VDC Starlink kit, and Alcan 5-pack Leaf Springs
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory

I bought a used 2016 LE2 2 years ago and have upgraded it in phases. First 2 270AH Battleborn GC2’s, wiring and all Victron components including 3000 watt inverter. We were forced to install a new Aquago due to the failure of the old. Recently installed the Houghton and Cruise 130 compressor refrigerator. I have been surprised with how much I use the heat pump on the Houghton when hooked up. I put the remote above my head in bed and fire it up before getting up. 

Financially we are about $25K better off than buying a new one, though a new one would be nice. All the major work was done by service techs as it is over my head. But the prices for service haven’t been that bad. I paid $1800 to install the refer and A/C in So. Calif. 

We have taken the trailer to Alaska and back. And numerous other trips, and so far no problems. However, I am aware that I have an older machine and think about the axles and other issues you could avoid by going new. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

2016 Oliver Legacy Elite II.  2021 Ford F250 Diesel

19 minutes ago, Southbird401 said:

and think about the axles and other issues

Just curious... what axle issues are you concerned with?

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo S GX, Other Victron Stuff: SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller,  DC-DC Charger, 12VDC Starlink kit, and Alcan 5-pack Leaf Springs
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

• Moderators
55 minutes ago, Southbird401 said:

However, I am aware that I have an older machine and think about the axles and other issues you could avoid by going new. 

We’ve got a 2016 and have close to 100K miles.  No axle issues.  I’m not aware of any other older trailers with axle issues either.  I will be replacing our brakes in the spring.  As soon as I decide on which quiet AC to get I’ll replace our jet-engine Dometic, although is still cools fine.  I’ve replaced the inverter, batteries, 7pin connector, power inlet on the side of the trailer and a few other small items that simply wore out.  Are there other areas you are concerned with?  I feel like I’ve got ours broken in pretty well as we start our 8th year.   Mike

• Like 6

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators

Anyone who buys a used trailer has to think about aged gear, and, gee, what did the previous owner do, or not do, for maintenence and care.

And, did they do mods with safety in mind, and a background to do them?

I'd offer mine (2008) up as an example. We've done most of our own mods. Dc fridge, pulled and reinstalled windows, 400 watts solar on an elite. Installed our own replacement Houghton ac, and maxxair dome plus bath fan. Among others...

We have the skills, and my retired husband was licensed.  But, hey, we have probably 150k miles on our little Elite.

No odometer. You'd have to trust us on that "meticulously " maintained thing (which it is, but who knows, except looking at our service log.) And, of course, our history of comments here.

Most Ollie owners take good care of their trailers. A few here have purchased used trailers with less than stellar maintenance,  and have had to do a lot of work. Most seem happy.

As far as axles, most things can be vetted via visual inspection. And/or replaced. 

Mine will likely never go up for sale. Btw. But, when we're gone, if my daughter doesn't want to camp anymore,  maybe. We've (daughter and I)  already had this conversation.  

Worst thing for any vehicle, or trailer, imo , is to sit, unused.

If you can't use it, sell it, imo.

• Like 5

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

To answer Max Burner, it is not a specific concern, more a general one re all the running gear under the trailer. I don’t know the actual mileage, or the lifespan of those components. So far I’ve replaced the brakes and I lube the zerks and all is well. But it isn’t new. 

2016 Oliver Legacy Elite II.  2021 Ford F250 Diesel

1 hour ago, Southbird401 said:

To answer Max Burner, it is not a specific concern, more a general one re all the running gear under the trailer. I don’t know the actual mileage, or the lifespan of those components. So far I’ve replaced the brakes and I lube the zerks and all is well. But it isn’t new. 

Since your springs have the heavy duty hardware, they should last indefinitely with regular servicing, a warning sign that you need to relube is creaks or pops when making tight turns. They should be dead silent otherwise. Keep an eye on the rubber cushions in the equalizers and the shocks, they can deteriorate from sun exposure. (Clean the grease residue off so you can see what’s underneath.) Check all the hardware for correct torque, look for sagging or unusual tire wear. Check for blown shocks, they occur when running too much air in the tires, the LT tires should be set to 50 psi max. Shocks are not expensive and have a lifetime warranty, you should consider just installing new ones, the trailer will ride better. 

A good degreasing followed by a pressure wash will make them look much better, obviously you must lube them afterwards.

While you are underneath with your tools, check the mount bolts for all three jacks, you will definitely find them loose.

I have Hull 218, almost as old as yours, here is the belly and suspension after a very intense detail session,on my back, which wore me out 😉 prepping it for sale. Old doesn’t mean bad, on a trailer. The owner is a different story entirely…

IMG_2577.thumb.jpeg.eac59ff5095178d824f9c9d0d0667924.jpeg

FYI the equalizer shackles are flipped, that happens after taking off the wheels, they should flip back right away when towing.

What hull number? Please add that to your signature. And pictures are always welcome here.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 6

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

4 hours ago, Coach and JoJo said:

We decided against solar when we purchased our 2022 Elite II.

Yup that was also our plan, I was going to install lithium and solar panels until I found out they stopped prewiring for solar panels in 2021. Didn’t want to go through the hassle of snaking wires through the inside of the hulls so we went with the lithium package. 

• Like 1

2023 Elite II, Hull# 1386, Lithium Platinum Package (640AH, 400W Solar, 3000W Xantrex Inverter)
Truma water heater & AC

TV: 2024 Silverado 2500HD 6.6L 10-Speed Allison

• Moderators
4 hours ago, rich.dev said:

I was going to install lithium and solar panels until I found out they stopped prewiring for solar panels in 2021. Didn’t want to go through the hassle of snaking wires through the inside of the hulls so we went with the lithium package. 

I didn't know Oliver stopped prewiring for solar in 2021. Thanks for the update. 

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

I didn't know Oliver stopped prewiring for solar in 2021.

I didn't know this either  - are you sure?

It seems strange to me that Oliver would take that portion of the electrical harness out of the loop when evidence would suggest that Oliver has taken great pains to "standardize" as much as they can on the production line.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

1 hour ago, topgun2 said:

I didn't know this either  - are you sure?

Yup that’s what I was told from my my rep (Josh) at Oliver last year September…..his words “we stopped prewiring for solar panels around a year or so ago”!

• Like 2

2023 Elite II, Hull# 1386, Lithium Platinum Package (640AH, 400W Solar, 3000W Xantrex Inverter)
Truma water heater & AC

• Moderators
12 hours ago, rich.dev said:

Yup that’s what I was told from my my rep (Josh) at Oliver last year September…..his words “we stopped prewiring for solar panels around a year or so ago”!

In the immortal words of Artie Johnson - "Very interesting".

p.s.  PM sent asking for clarification from Oliver on changes to the wiring harness.

• Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

In the usual Oliver fashion - we have a very quick response to the question:

"Oliver has stopped prewiring ALL travel trailers for solar panels" (note my emphasis on the word "ALL")

The Oliver response to this statement is:

"For trailers without solar, they are not being pre-wired. Just a cost saving for production. The only trailers that do not have solar are ones with the base wet cell batteries. All AGM and Lithium battery power packages include solar and inverters. We rarely sell any with just the wet cell batteries anymore."

Hope this helps clarify the subject.

Bill

• Thanks 5
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, topgun2 said:

"Oliver has stopped prewiring ALL travel trailers for solar panels" (note my emphasis on the word "ALL")

"For trailers without solar, they are not being pre-wired. Just a cost saving for production. The only trailers that do not have solar are ones with the base wet cell batteries. All AGM and Lithium battery power packages include solar and inverters. We rarely sell any with just the wet cell batteries anymore."

Bill

I can’t imagine solar not being ordered on a new Oliver especially now that they are no longer prewired. Just me.

Patriot🇺🇸

• Like 3

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor 

IMG_2879.jpeg

24 minutes ago, Patriot said:

I can’t imagine solar not being ordered on a new Oliver especially now that they are no longer prewired. Just me.

Patriot🇺🇸

For resale value alone. At this price point, add-ons are not overly significant in the price increase and makes it easier to sell. 

• Like 4

2020 Legacy Elite II Hull 625 - 2013 Lexus LX 570

San Antonio/Boerne - Texas Hill Country

44 minutes ago, Patriot said:

I can’t imagine solar not being ordered on a new Oliver especially now that they are no longer prewired

Agreed, that’s why we went with lithium/solar, it was either you get the solar package or no prewiring! 

• Like 3

Truma water heater & AC

17 minutes ago, rich.dev said:

Agreed, that’s why we went with lithium/solar, it was either you get the solar package or no prewiring! 

Had they offered Lithium/solar in 2020 we would have been all in. It’s a nice option! 

• Like 1

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor 

IMG_2879.jpeg

25 minutes ago, Patriot said:

Had they offered Lithium/solar in 2020 we would have been all in. It’s a nice option! 

Yes and I think reasonably priced. 

• Like 2

Truma water heater & AC

• Moderators
6 hours ago, topgun2 said:

Bill

Well, that makes us the odd duck. 

Agm and lots of solar. (400+ watts bifacial  fixed, 200 watts portable.

My husband and I have discussed a lithium upgrade for a few years now. If we go that way when the current agms die, it will likely be a single battleborn.  Maybe two.

We'll see.  

Times have definitely changed, but so has technology. 

The heavy gauge wire and labor is a significant $$$ number, but I'm still a bit disappointed at no announcement.  Our 2008 was not "pre-wired", but it's a heck of a lot easier to work with a 2008. No foam insulation, no cabinet liners.

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

7 hours ago, rich.dev said:

I wonder if they would agree to prewire for an additional charge if you didn't want the solar package?

• Like 2

2010 Elite II, Hull #45.  2014 Toyota Sequoia Platinum 4WD 5.7 with tow package.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, CRM said:

I wonder if they would agree to prewire for an additional charge if you didn't want the solar package?

I was wondering that, as well.

Pre-wiring was undoubtedly super expensive,,with heavy gauge wires.

It would be nice to know the hull # when the practice was abandoned. 

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators
13 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

It would be nice to know the hull # when the practice was abandoned. 

I agree but those few trailers that have been ordered since the start of 2021 that were ordered without solar and with wet cell batteries should be the only ones affected.  I'd guess that we could count those on one hand.

Bill 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, CRM said:

I was told the factory or service department will not prewire the trailer, due to having to drill holes in the external fiberglass and then having to possibly repair the fiberglass. The only option I was offered, was that they could add a solar port on the side of the trailer for a suitcase solar panel if I was not getting any other solar package. 

• Like 2

Truma water heater & AC