Truma A/C, Low versus night mode

John Welte

Hi all, we have the Truma A/C.  It has four fan speeds.  High, medium, low and night.  I can't tell the difference between low and night.  For those owners with a Truma A/C, do you notice a difference between low and nighttime fan speeds?

John

• Like 4

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Travel Trailers for Sale
View Inventory
  • Moderators
8 minutes ago, John Welte said:

do you notice a difference between low and nighttime fan speeds?

The nighttime speeds are a bit darker? 😁

• Haha 5

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

50 minutes ago, John Welte said:

do you notice a difference between low and nighttime

I don’t notice a difference so was wondering same! 

2023 Elite II, Hull# 1386, Lithium Platinum Package (640AH, 400W Solar, 3000W Xantrex Inverter)
Truma water heater & AC

TV: 2024 Silverado 2500HD 6.6L 10-Speed Allison

No noticeable difference, but we sure are grateful for our super quiet Truma. Best mod to date.

• Like 5

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor 

IMG_2879.jpeg

From the manual (and from memory, so I could be wrong), the difference between low an night is that at night the fan in the rooftop portion is also on low, making it quieter for those around you. Should use less of your battery, too. 

At the rally we had ours on night mode all day, and could barely hear it sitting outside. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 6

-----
Steve - Northern Ohio, USA
Wandering around on occasion, always lost.
2021 Toyota Land Cruiser - 2023 Oliver Elite II Twin Hull #1360 “Curiosity”
Facebook - Instagram

Camped in Curiosity = Green —— Visited with Curiosity = Gray

map.jpg

14 hours ago, johnwen said:

No difference on our retrofit.  Jason E from OTT said that most people can't tell a difference between those speeds.

John

Thanks John.  I couldn't either, but I like how quiet it is.  After I turn the A/C off lately I have run the vent to maybe dry the inner parts of the unit.  Not sure if it's necessary, but that's what I do now.

John

• Like 3

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

5 hours ago, Steve Morris said:

From the manual (and from memory, so I could be wrong), the difference between low an night is that at night the fan in the rooftop portion is also on low, making it quieter for those around you. Should use less of your battery, too. 

At the rally we had ours on night mode all day, and could barely hear it sitting outside. 

I could or should read the manual.  That makes sense to be quieter outside on night mode.  I can experiment to see if the sound is different.  Usually I run it on low after running it high for a few minutes.

John

spacer.png

8 hours ago, Steve Morris said:

You nailed it Steve. If you stand outside and listen to the difference between regular low and night mode, the outside unit is much quieter, can hardly hear it when the compressor comes on. Night mode I believe is more of a courtesy for the surrounding campers. And yes the unit draws the lowest amount of current while running on night mode. This greatly reduces the work load for a generator. It also allows the AC to run longer on the Lithium batteries if you are dry camping. Of course the AC also has a much reduced cooling capacity on night mode, but from my experimenting with the system, even on night mode the camper is able to be cooled to a lower temperature than I need.

As I am typing this comment, the outside temp is 88 degrees in the shade. The temperature on the inside of the camper in direct sunlight is 64 degree inside, burrrrrrr. I have the thermostat set on 70 so as you can see, the Truma can really chill the camper down.  The Truma AC unit gives us spectacular options with ample capacity for our campers. I love the fact that I can run the AC all night without being "that guy" in the campground. 😁

• Thanks 1
  • Like 7

What's today?............. the most frequently asked question as a retiree 🙄

Chris and Stacie Neuhaus Greenfield, Indiana

2021 Ford F350 7.3L Tremor (Redzilla)

LE2 #1373 - Ordered 10/21/22 - Delivered 05/10/23

States Visited Map

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Ollie-Haus said:

you can see, the Truma can really chill the camper down.  The Truma AC unit gives us spectacular options with ample capacity for our campers. I love the fact that I can run the AC all night without being "that guy" in the campground. 😁

"That guy" is who none of us want to be. 

Years ago, at Gooseberry falls cg in Minnesota,  I  thought we were having an earthquake, or an air attack. A guy near us got up (before quiet hours ended), fired up his extremely loud genset, and probably just made coffee. Lasted 15 minutes. But, of course, I couldn't go back to sleep.

Good on Truma to take care of you, and your neighbors. 

• Like 5

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

On 7/1/2023 at 6:09 PM, Ollie-Haus said:

You nailed it Steve. If you stand outside and listen to the difference between regular low and night mode, the outside unit is much quieter, can hardly hear it when the compressor comes on. Night mode I believe is more of a courtesy for the surrounding campers. And yes the unit draws the lowest amount of current while running on night mode. This greatly reduces the work load for a generator. It also allows the AC to run longer on the Lithium batteries if you are dry camping. Of course the AC also has a much reduced cooling capacity on night mode, but from my experimenting with the system, even on night mode the camper is able to be cooled to a lower temperature than I need.

As I am typing this comment, the outside temp is 88 degrees in the shade. The temperature on the inside of the camper in direct sunlight is 64 degree inside, burrrrrrr. I have the thermostat set on 70 so as you can see, the Truma can really chill the camper down.  The Truma AC unit gives us spectacular options with ample capacity for our campers. I love the fact that I can run the AC all night without being "that guy" in the campground. 😁

Great report Chris. The super quiet “Truma chiller” as we now call it is a game changer full on! With the Truma being so efficient on low, I don’t think we will ever really need to run ours on med or high. I also really like the use of the original Oliver OEM condensate drain tubing which really makes for a sano install on the retro fit. Happy and cool! 😎

• Like 5

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor 

IMG_2879.jpeg

Since the OP's question has been answered, and I see several of you have retrofitted yours to the Truma A/C, could I ask a question related to Truma?

Have you all gone to OTT for the retrofit? Anybody had one worked locally? I would love to visit OTT one day, and fortunately a prior owner did a whole lot of service there just 2 years ago, but a quick tow from AZ to TN is not in our near future! 

I visited the Truma website, and it appears you must purchase and have it installed by an authorized service rep. There is some service organization, mobile install for FL, TX and AZ.

Can you purchase the Truma A/C without paying for installation? For me that would be the only way to afford it this year (after just buying our E2 and TV!). With my son's help (he's strong and the rooftop guy) we could install it and a new thermostat in a weekend. We did this 2 years ago on a Class-C, replacing a failed Dometic with a Furrion (great improvement in cooling efficiency, but only slightly quieter). Would love to purchase the unit, but afraid it's not possible. Thanks for your help and advice. 

• Like 1

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

I was the second Oliver that Truma tried to do an install on.  We couldn't get the unit off the roof and didn't want to risk damaging the fiberglas.

Since then Oliver has done a number of them and seems to have worked out any bugs and established a pretty complete conversion, i.e., new fiberglass platform for the AC, a couple of thermostat options, etc.

I'm scheduled for the end of August, but I keep bugging them, hoping someone cancels a scheduled service sooner.

If not doing it real soon, you might keep track of the new Dometic low noise AC, mentioned here and elsewhere.  May be more plug and play.

• Like 3

2020 Legacy Elite II Hull 625 - 2013 Lexus LX 570

San Antonio/Boerne - Texas Hill Country

Thank you so much Ralph, as this is truly helpful!

Your first sentence surprises me, since OTT should be able to remove an AC they installed, so many times in production. 

I have not seen drawings, or installation documentation of either unit yet. I just figured that all RV AC units should mount with 4 bolts in the standard RV 14x14 square opening. 

Yes agreed, if we need custom fiberglass work to retrofit these units, the Truma brand is not for me. Thanks again.

• Like 1

• Moderators
4 hours ago, jd1923 said:

Your first sentence surprises me, since OTT should be able to remove an AC they installed, so many times in production.

Oliver hasn’t tried to install the Truma on Ralph’s trailer, it was a Truma installer.

16 hours ago, Ralph Mawyer said:

I was the second Oliver that Truma tried to do an install on.  We couldn't get the unit off the roof and didn't want to risk damaging the fiberglas.

• Like 3

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Thank you, Mike & Carol. I get it now. This also validates my wanting to purchase a new AC unit to install ourselves.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• Moderators
6 hours ago, jd1923 said:

Thank you, Mike & Carol. I get it now. This also validates my wanting to purchase a new AC unit to install ourselves.

I’m hoping the Dometic Freshjet works out, it sould make switching to a quieter AC easier.

• Like 2

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

On 7/12/2023 at 6:03 AM, Mike and Carol said:

I’m hoping the Dometic Freshjet works out, it sould make switching to a quieter AC easier.

We've got the factory Dometic Penguin II AC unit on our rig, and I'm told by my better half that our's is pretty loud.  A great working AC unit otherwise, IMO.  The integrated MaxAir Soft Touch 'stat was a game changer mod for us...FYI.

However, working around loud sounds my entire life, has left my hearing WAY less than adequate.  Add to that a nice layer of constantly screaming tinnitus, and its not motivating me to swap out our fine-cooling 'Ol Penguin because its "too loud" - largely because I don't hear how bad its noise really is.

But, that said, I take everyone's word how the Penguin got its moniker, "NoiseMaker"!  Especially, D's!  

We've replaced several AC units ourselves over the years high atop Vintage AS rigs - these replacements were because of an INOP/unservicable unit, not because they were "too loud."  With all this into account, I'm detecting another AC replacement on my radar screen.

We too, look forward to the jury's decision regarding the Freshjet's performance - as it would be nice to have a relatively straightforward AC R&R effort.  Changing out a Dometic for a Dometic sounds appealing rather than trying to engineer a size 13D foot into a size 9B boot.

We shall keep a weather-eye on Dometic Freshjet posts!

Not so quietly staying cool,

A & D

• Like 3

Smallmap.png.d17a029e6120e02125f6c41a599aa915.png

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca"
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX