Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted

I hope this issue has not previously been addressed on the forum.  I could not find anything on this topic with a search.  So, here goes.

I have always assumed that the fresh water tank in our 2022 Elite II could be filled until water flows out of the overflow tube underneath the fridge, regardless of the fresh water sensor reading. 

This approach is recommended on p. 61 of our 2022 Oliver Owners Manual:  "fill until water starts to run from the freshwater overflow..."  I have regularly done just that with no issues--until a few days ago.  When filling the fresh water tank, the aisle floor bulged upward, the entire trailer shifted to the curb side binding the door, and then, with a loud CRACK, the backsplash on the sink side of the galley countertop separated by about 1/2" from the fiber granite countertop, because the corner of the countertop near the sink was sloping toward the curbside!  After we recovered from the shock, my wife and I immediately ran fresh water (via the pump) into the gray water tank through the galley sink until the trailer shifted back into equilibrium.  Fortunately, this enabled the aisle floor to level out again, the door to unbind, and the countertop to slowly rise up again to meet the backsplash, so the two once again line up.

When we get home, I plan to re-caulk the joints that separated, and carefully inspect for any additional damage.  So far, all appears to be "back to normal" while we continue our extended trip.

Lesson learned: despite what is recommended in your Owners Manual, monitor the fresh water tank level when filling, and once the sensor reads close to 100%, SHUT OFF THE WATER!  DON'T WAIT FOR WATER TO FLOW FROM THE OVERFLOW TUBE!

  • Wow 4
  • Sad 1

 

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

Oliver Travel Trailer for Sale
Find Oliver Travel Trailers for Sale
New Travel Trailers for Sale
Posted

Wow, I’m really sorry this happened. I’ve heard of similar issues with other trailer brands when there’s little or no effective overflow outlet. That’s why most trailers are filled using a flex‑hose insert—to let air escape properly. With the direct connection on our trailers, it’s difficult to manually fill at the inlet and allow that air to escape. In your case, it sounds like the overflow tube may have been restricted, or the incoming water volume and pressure simply exceeded what the overflow tube could handle.

Thanks for sharing this experience. And again, I’m sorry you had to deal with it.

  • Like 2

TV: 2019 F-150 Super Crew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, 10 Speed Transmission, Max Tow and Offroad package.

Oliver: 2022 – Hull 953, Twin Bed, with Lithium Platinum Package (640ah Lithionics lithium batteries), Outdoor Pro Package, 16” wheels, D52 axles, 5-leaf Alcan Spring package, Bulldog HD Shock Absorbers, 2 5/16 Bulldog coupler and LT tires.

After market: Victron MultiPlus-II 4000, Two Victron 100/50 MPPT Solar Charge Controllers, Victron IP65 500A/50mV SmartShunt, Victron Lynx Distributor, Orion DC – DC charger, Cerbo GX MK2 with GX Touch 70 Display.

Misc: Custom Wood Accessories by Foybles. Seabiscuit Metal Designs front storage box and moose rack.

Posted (edited)

@Rivernerd
Remove the drawers on the left side of the drawer stack under the kitchen sink. Look for a hatch plate in the bottom of the cavity. If you have one you should be able to remove the overflow tube to check for and remove any obstructions. 
 

IMG_2045.thumb.jpeg.eb68bb4bff23fc698c163c744021786c.jpeg
 

IMG_2046.thumb.jpeg.724ca3746b6871a7838f39bdb5907b50.jpeg

 

IMG_2047.thumb.jpeg.492dabfd1d856bec5609766c23d1f7e1.jpeg
 

The service dept cut that hole and installed the hatch in May 2018 when I suspected that the hose clamp on the through-hull fitting was loose. I have on my to-do list (still) to enlarge that opening to allow easier access to that area between the hulls. I think the factory started placing that access hatch in trailers built after that.

 

Bill 

2018 Hull 313

Edited by Townesw
  • Like 2

Bill and Martha

2018 LEII Hull 313 Original owners 3/14/2018

2019 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax

 

Posted

Townesw:

Thanks for the tip.  I neglected to mention that water was actually flowing from the overflow tube when the trailer shifted, yet the bowing/damage still happened.

Our 2022 hull #1291 has a 1/4" plywood cover over a hole in the location you described.  I plan to remove it and verify if there is an obstruction of the overflow tube.

That said, I still plan to monitor the fresh tank sensor when filling, regardless of what I find!

  • Like 1

 

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

Posted

Wow. Sorry you went through that! Hope everything's ok. Unfortunately for us, going by the tank monitor is ineffective. It reads full long before the tank is actually full. We will use a pressure regulator when filling and monitor closely, though. Thanks for the warning.

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAKAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.8d6179af838543a7abc85c7c1c8a994b.jpg

Posted

Steph and Dud B:

Good point re: using a pressure regulator when filling the fresh tank.  I have both a filter and a pressure regulator set to 35 PSI on the "trailer" end of my fresh water hose.  Both were in place when the event described above occurred.  

 

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information