Single best spot you parked Ollie.

BackofBeyond

As 2020 quickly approaches its end - thank you- my thoughts wandered off to 2021. Putting aside - for a moment- the "rona" implications - planning for the next journey - had me thinking on where we have been - and which was the most satisfying - where scenery met serenity- and was overall an great camping spot.

There are many we really enjoyed - but for 2020 - boondocking off a county road - perched on a bluff over looking the vast valley leading into Dinosaur National Monument  - was the number one. It was tough choice - one with great competition.

What was your number one.

• Like 1

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

• Moderators

Bob - 

For me this is easy - Box Creek de-commissioned NFS campground.  N 43degrees 51 minutes 42.5 seconds W 110 degrees 17 minutes 39.0 seconds.

P1020694.JPG

• Like 5

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Love it -

had to do search-

From a not so boondocker :

Campendium review:

"Why anyone would want to actually camp there, other than for a wilderness trip, is beyond me. That's why the FS deactivated it. There are tons of better spots including the FS's Turpin Meadows Campground just down the road. There are tens of thousands of acres of pure Forest Svc dispersed camping all over Togwotee Pass. If you want to get away this is the place!"

Therefore - its on my 2021 list - its right up my alley - is there good fishing near by??

RB

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

• Moderators

The Buffalo River is very close and the fishing there can be OK if you are willing to do a bit of walking between runs.  This campground has a pit toilet (surprisingly clean in that it is not maintained by the Forest Service - therefore you have to bring your own TP) and several hiking trails right out of camp.  While there is a nice view from the meadow at the western side of the camp, the better views are from Buffalo Valley Road about a mile to the west from the campsite.  Potable water and trash bins are available  in the Turpin Meadows campground - located about 9/10 of a mile east of the campsite.  But, the really nice thing is that this campsite is free.  However, several years ago, there was a "resident" griz that came into this camp every so often - there are still bear boxes in the campground for that reason.  I could not get a cell signal from camp - if you travel back down to route 191/89 and turn south (left) there is a commercial campground/gas station/store on the right where you can get WiFi and/or a strong cell signal.  For a fee you can also dump tanks here while you look at a wonderful view of the Tetons.

Bill

• Like 3

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Super easy for us since we just picked up last month and have only camped at David Crocket SP and now Badin Lake CG in Uwharrie National Forest (close to home in NC) in 2020.  DCSP was nice, but we were too busy unpacking and checking things to really relax.  This latest trip to Badin Lake was fantastic (just got back today).  Our first boondocking trip and I am happy to finally color in my own state on the map!  🙂

IMG_2712.thumb.jpg.481f8da424f8a13a56d6f8936b7b706d.jpg

• Like 6

States Visited Map

2020 Elite II, Hull 688 --- 2021 Silverado 2500HD, 6.6L Duramax Diesel

• Moderators

Well, that’s not an easy question.... We’ve also been to many, mountains, canyons, beach, tough to say.  If we could go back to one (and we tried) it would be at a private campground outside of Sylva, NC.  It was a site owned by a former Oliver owner, Cobra1169.  He ended up selling the campsite before we could return.  It was just outside of Smokey Mountains National Park, the site backed up to a babbling creek, was very private and had a covered sitting area right on the creek. It’s a favorite because the week we were there we had great weather and had a very relaxing stay.

17CEB23F-123F-4043-9F53-CA3897E59E1F.jpeg

D7AB5F24-4198-4888-9109-B08B6C60FDC8.jpeg

1E9279F3-792F-4FFC-82F2-1919F5735B18.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Wow 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

I think our favorite campsite of 2020 is the one we’re sitting in right now on Sanibel Island hanging out in our brand spanking new Oliver....

• Thanks 1
  • Like 10

Mark & Deb..2020 Elite II..Dearie..Hull #685..2016 Tundra

AZARCAFLMSNMOKPATNTXsm.jpg

• Moderators

There are so many beautiful places that we have enjoyed that it's hard to pick one.

So, I'll go with Deer Island Point campground in New Brunswick.

We took the (free) ferry from letete, nb, and planned to stay one night, then ferry to Campobello, and on to Maine.

The campground was "officially" closed for the season, but the tourist office said we could dry camp. No services, but no fees. Don't leave a mess.

Our site, right at the point, (may have been a tent site, not sure) was just amazing. Marine life, walk down to see the maelstrom, (old sow), and watch the ferries. Absolutely incredible. 

We kept rearranging our schedule,  and stayed four days, leaving our special quiet place, with a heavy heart.  

The little island is lovely,  and quiet, off season. It was cool/cold, but so very beautiful. Probably more crowded in season.

Campobello was a fascinating day, when we finally left. 

Edited by SeaDawg
  • Like 8

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• 3 weeks later...

My (Chris) favorite is a secluded boat launch on the Tsirku River about 30 miles outside of Haines, AK. It is primarily used by folks who have homes on Chilkat Lake that are only accessible by boat. 

https://maps.app.goo.gl/qXKAupauU1tLi9N2A

20210102_090039.jpg

Screenshot_20210102-085905_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20210102-085745_Photos.jpg

• Like 4
Chris & Duke Chadwell
🐾Maddie & Baxter🐾
Elite II Hull 292
2022 F-250 Lariat 7.3 Godzilla 4x4 Lakeland,FL

I don't have an Ollie until Feb, but I just had to reply and say,  "THIS IS A GREAT THREAD!"

Thank you all for sharing your responses and inspiration.  Happy New Year.

Edited by BillATX
typo
  • Like 3

Hull #735 - 2021 Elite 1 (Shorty)  |  2021 Toyota Tundra

• Moderators

Wow . . . a very difficult question . . . so many choices . . . for serenity, I'd say camping amongst the Giant Redwoods in Northern California, at Humbolt Redwoods State Park.  For the view, I'd select boon docking at a high elevation (9150') mountain lake at Pinnacles, in the Shoshone National Forest of Wyoming.  But for serendipity and a most unexpected wonder, I must choose a public campground on Fogo Island, in northern Newfoundland, at Brimstone Head Park, where you can hike up a hill to one of the four corners of the earth, as recognized by The Flat Earth Society. If you're lucky, you might wake up and discover an ICEBERG has run aground at your campsite!  When that happens, extend your stay a few days and relish in the awesomeness.

IMG_0746.jpg

Edited by bugeyedriver
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Wow 1

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

Was traveling solo, to eventually meet up with the spouse in 10 days or so! Some where, can't remember where, there was a city park type place. An old stone mill building, by a stream, with a turning water wheel. Lots of grass with gravel pull outs. Split rail fence. Half an hour at a picnic table eating supper, and then an eight hour nap. Would like to go back! It was late winter/early Spring. You could tell, and smell,  the grass wanted to start growing. Two nights south, out of Maine, at least the roads were paved, but not all had yellow lines...

• Like 1

seadawg, when were you in new brunswick? 

The area was a favorite of ours in 1994 - and we had a flat tire, replaced all four tires on a Sunday. Looking forward to a return trip.

2014 Toyota Tacoma 4x4

2021 Elite I #758       

image.png.d972b5fc86270818b1e0f030bfaa433a.pngMap of Provinces I Visited

• Moderators

We were in beautiful New Brunswick in 2010. 

Interesting story about your flat tire. We had a flat on the truck just north of the NB line, in Quebec. Fortunately,  there was a tire store in the closest English town, backtracking a few miles. We bought a tpms for the trailer as soon as we got home from that trip.

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Dent Acre's Campground - Idaho - 

Dworshak Dam - Army COE Campground with Full Hookups .

This campground has a tiered system so each row of trailers is higher than the ones below so there are great views of the lake.

https://www.recreation.gov/camping/campgrounds/233487

IMG_3325.thumb.jpeg.bdd6630d73e0e9cc488c4ad86d911766.jpeg

• Like 3

2019 Elite II (Hull 505 - Galway Girl - August 7, 2019 Delivery) 
Tow Vehicle: 2021 F350 King Ranch, FX4, MaxTow Package, 10 Speed, 3.55 Rear Axle
Batteries Upgrade: Dual 315GTX Lithionics Lithiums - 630AH Total
Inverter/Charger: Xantrex 2000Pro 

Travel BLOG:  https://4-ever-hitched.com

IMG_5421.jpeg.c1f697a00240a9bd6729b0930bd3a4aa.jpeg

• Moderators
20 hours ago, ctshort09 said:

Dent Acre's Campground - Idaho - 

Dworshak Dam - Army COE Campground with Full Hookups .

This campground has a tiered system so each row of trailers is higher than the ones below so there are great views of the lake.

https://www.recreation.gov/camping/campgrounds/233487

IMG_3325.thumb.jpeg.bdd6630d73e0e9cc488c4ad86d911766.jpeg

Yes, it is quite the special campground, and you get to put your mountain driving skills to the test as you first, climb a steeeeeep hill and descend the precipitous downhill approach to the lake. You really appreciate the relaxing views after your arrival!

• Like 2

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

That descent was what finally caused my wife and I to upgrade to a F350 Diesel.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1

2019 Elite II (Hull 505 - Galway Girl - August 7, 2019 Delivery) 
Tow Vehicle: 2021 F350 King Ranch, FX4, MaxTow Package, 10 Speed, 3.55 Rear Axle
Batteries Upgrade: Dual 315GTX Lithionics Lithiums - 630AH Total
Inverter/Charger: Xantrex 2000Pro 

Travel BLOG:  https://4-ever-hitched.com

IMG_5421.jpeg.c1f697a00240a9bd6729b0930bd3a4aa.jpeg