How do you store your Oliver?

I have seen people talking about the calmark cover on here, as well as some who store under an awning or carport. 

I think we are leaning toward leaving it outside, not covered with anything for the first couple months of ownership. Aren’t they meant to be used outside anyway? Am I completely wrong lol?

I’d love to know, how do you store you Oliver?

2021 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Twin Bed - Hull 762 | 2018 F150 3.5L Ecoboost V6 w/ Max Tow package

The previous owner (in Michigan) kept it outside. This is my first winter with the Ollie and I kept it outside as well. It gets snow on the Ollie and on the solar collector but it seems to melt guickly on the solar collector and if not I have taken a brush and cleaned off the collector. Even this winter, the sun has kept the batteries charged up. I also plan to wax the Ollie, spring and fall, so hopefully that will be sufficient instead of installing a cover.

I haved also debated if I should cover the Ollie in the winter with a cover or a temporay shed but then I would feel I should plug it into power so the batteries stay charged.

At this point, I do not plan to install a cover or keep it inside in the winter.

Edited by dewdev
  • Like 2

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine 

• Moderators

We store ours at a storage facility.  It is covered and has electricity.  It gets dusty after a few weeks there, so I end up giving it a quick wash before we travel.  I used to keep it plugged in to keep the AGM’s charged.  Now, with lithium’s, I don’t.  I turn the batteries off.  If it wasn’t covered I would keep the batteries on and let the solar keep them charged.  

• Thanks 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

1 hour ago, jordanv said:

Aren’t they meant to be used outside anyway?

We cover ours with the Calmark cover. But you’re right, the Ollies are meant to be outside, so covering it isn’t about protection so much as just keeping it looking good.   It’s not like you can easily run the Oliver through most standard car wash places, and it’s a lot of external surface area to keep clean so it’s a pain to wash by hand, especially the roof.  Since it’s a gloss white finish it shows dirt pretty quickly, and we all just want to keep our Ollies nice and shiny as much as possible.  

Edited by FrankC
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Thanks for the insight you guys, I think we will move forward without a cover for now, then possibly a calmark. If we are not comfortable with this, then maybe install an awning.

I was going to install an awning on the side of a metal building on my parent's property to store the Oliver, but the quote was 5K+ and that just didn't sit well with my wife and I.

Edited by jordanv

2021 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Twin Bed - Hull 762 | 2018 F150 3.5L Ecoboost V6 w/ Max Tow package

• Moderators

Ours has spent its entire 13 years outside. It has been partially shaded by the house, and some palm trees, but that's it. We wax twice a year.

The fiberglass is fine, it's the white vinyl and plastic that gets the brunt of the uv. Our front jack cover used to be white. It's pretty yellow, as is the door window trim ring, which is also some type of plastic on our 2008. 

Edited by SeaDawg
  • Love 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

We use a good (Mequires) Wash and Wax Spring and Fall. Still looks like new. Thinking maybe we will start a polish/wax regimen this year (3 square feet at a time), starting with the 4 corners. Unless the Strippers or Mackerel are running, then all bets are off...

7 minutes ago, jordanv said:

I was going to install an awning on the side of a metal building on my parent's property to store the Oliver, but the quote was 5K+ and that just didn't sit well with my wife and I.

Did you just get the one quote? You need three, at a minimum. That will give you enough info to tell what bid is a realistic figure. Make sure each specifies the same product, and breaks down labor and materials separately. I just got a bid on an installed gas shop heater and it just was a flat price, which sucks. I asked them again twice for a breakdown, no response, so that contractor gets crossed out. Once you know the material cost and how many man hours it will take, you should know better.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Love 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

6 minutes ago, Mainiac said:

Unless the Strippers or Mackerel are running, then all bets are off...

I would be pretty distracted by strippers too...... 

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

3 minutes ago, John E Davies said:

Did you just get the one quote? You need three, at a minimum.

I agree, but since this would be attached to a building on my parents property, I went with who my dad has regularly used for the past 5-10 years.

• Like 1

• Moderators

That's one heck of a "barn". 😁

Sure do wish I had the ability to have my Oliver right here near me versus having to store it in a commercial "storage yard".

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"