Anti-theft devices

Does anyone use anything to prevent someone from pulling up to the trailer and hauling it off when you aren't there

Edited by SeaDawg

ALAZARCOFLGAKSKYLAMSMTNENVNMNYOHOKPATNTX

#837 started this new traveling experience in the summer of 2021 and loving it.

TV is 2020 Durango Citadel or 2021 Dodge 1500 diesel V6.  2021

This is a common (thread) question, and a couple of devices mentioned before are as follows.

Amazon.com: REESE Towpower 72783 Universal Coupler Lock, Adjustable Storage Security, Heavy-Duty Steel: Automotive

Amazon.com: Master Lock - Universal Size Fits 1-7/8", 2", and 2-5/16" Couplers - Trailer Locks #389DAT: Automotive

Variations of these can be found on the AZMN website, so you will have a choice.  The Yellow & Red are colors that show up from a distance, and say "this wont be easy-peazy", to those that are looking for an opportunity.  Comments from others may show preference. 

Some on the forum have commented they have camped for years, and never had any issues.  For what it is worth, I just bought the “red” one, I may use it when boon docking, but probably not when in a regular sited campground.

John Davies (“JD”) has I believe a ball-bering (2" ?) that fits into the ball of the hitch, then locks the hitch.  Another thing I started doing (based on comments of JD) is to lock my hitch safety latch “Whilst Towing”, just to make sure that it does not (very un-likely) spring open while under way, or to make sure no one just happened to lift it just for bad…fun.

If someone wants something that is not theirs bad enough, they will go to great lengths to get it.  And with all the battery power tools with cut-off wheels, no matter what you do, it may not stop them.  What you want to do is show them, it is not going to be easy if they pick you.  You should have Travel Trailer Insurance (another thread to search), and you deal with a theft it if it ever happens.  just do not let it bother you every time you unhook from the trailer.

In the meantime, ask away (you have hundreds of years of experience here) and do searches on the Forum and ENJOY CAMPING IN YOUR OLLIE...

Maggie & Bryan | Arnegard, ND | 2020 LE II "Twins" Hull #665 | 2021 RAM 2500  6.4L HEMI Gasser  4dr  6.5' bed

ABBCMBNBNTNSONPEQCSKYTALARCTDEFLGAILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMONENHNJNYNCNDOHOKPARISCSDTNTXVTVAWVWIxlg.jpg.d41b39fcf844ad1935d35acdc8a6c203.jpg

• Moderators

Many if us use the Collar lock, towing or camped. Plus a ball lock while camped.

Screenshot_20210311-151129_Chrome.jpg

• Like 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• The title was changed to Anti-theft devices
  • Moderators

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Thanks for your responses.  When I first did a search on the forum nothing came up.  I will have to search the forum using less words probably.  We appreciate your input

ALAZARCOFLGAKSKYLAMSMTNENVNMNYOHOKPATNTX

#837 started this new traveling experience in the summer of 2021 and loving it.

TV is 2020 Durango Citadel or 2021 Dodge 1500 diesel V6.  2021

• Moderators

Donna, the collar lock is great, at camp or towing, as the bulldog cannot be operated with it in place.

Most people use something (proven lock, ball bearing, trimaran, etc), as an extra preventer. It keeps someone for dropping the bulldog on a smaller ball, and pulling away.

The bulldog is a bit unique, so it sometimes requires different strategies.

We use a locking hitchpin, as well, for safety. 

First step, imo, collar lock, and a quality padlock.

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

AH-HA the every mystifying "Search"...

here are a few that will dredge up some additional deterrents.  as well as some comments from the OTTO's (Oliver Travel Trailer Owners) as to their experiences.

Anti-theft
securing valuables
security locks
Lock

You will also see other topics pop up, but that is because sometimes we (Just might) morph a conversation tread onto another topic.   Only to be reigned in by our wonderful Moderators to "Start a new Thread", just so the SEARCH will find these little nuggets.  

• Haha 1

Maggie & Bryan | Arnegard, ND | 2020 LE II "Twins" Hull #665 | 2021 RAM 2500  6.4L HEMI Gasser  4dr  6.5' bed

ABBCMBNBNTNSONPEQCSKYTALARCTDEFLGAILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMONENHNJNYNCNDOHOKPARISCSDTNTXVTVAWVWIxlg.jpg.d41b39fcf844ad1935d35acdc8a6c203.jpg

Here is the Proven Lock\Proven Industries setup on the 2-5/16" coupler. It is heavy and overkill for anything other than long term storage. Even then it is overkill 😜

IMG_20210311_165727.thumb.jpg.339146ebe80527ca58ecd1bf222e3be4.jpg

Edited by Jairon
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

2019 Toyota Land Cruiser

2021 Oliver Elite II, Hull #748

I consider the x-chocks a theft deterrent. If they were to hook up & try to drive off, the trailer isn't going anywhere. Sure, they can undo them, if the have the wrench or socket or time, but hopefully the jerk has deemed my Ollie too much of a hassle & moved on.

• Like 1
Chris & Duke Chadwell
🐾Maddie & Baxter🐾
Elite II Hull 292
2022 F-250 Lariat 7.3 Godzilla 4x4 Lakeland,FL

All those anti-theft devises work well for the honest thieves, but the actual thieves just backup to your trailer and throw a chain around the tongue of the trailer and the truck rear bumper and go.  This is why we put insurance on our trailers, if it's stolen I don't want it back.

trainman

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

Another set of threads to read concerns gps trackers, so you or the cops can find your “gone missing” Ollie. I don’t feel the need for one, however I just installed a hard wired iPad Mini 2 to use as a monitor to watch over the health and charge status of my new lithium batteries. It is the cellular model which has the built-in gps chip, so it always knows about where it is, and as long as the device is not powered down I can maybe perhaps locate it with Apple’s Find My app. Well, sort of, as long as it is close to a phone that it can connect to with Bluetooth.  It is not real likely to be effective if it is locked in somebody’s remote barn (tho it always shows the last known position), but having that capability does make me feel a little better, which is what those external locks and hardware tricks provide: peace of mind. How much of that you require depends on where you store it and where you leave it unattended when camping.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• 1 month later...
On 3/11/2021 at 2:06 PM, Jairon said:

Here is the Proven Lock\Proven Industries setup on the 2-5/16" coupler. It is heavy and overkill for anything other than long term storage. Even then it is overkill 😜

IMG_20210311_165727.thumb.jpg.339146ebe80527ca58ecd1bf222e3be4.jpg

Is anyone using something like this:

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Coupler-Locks/Blaylock-Industries/BLTL-20-40D.html

I should know this, but I don't 😀  Is the Elite II Bulldog coupler 2" or 2-5/16"?

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

20 minutes ago, Ray and Susan Huff said:

Is anyone using something like this:

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Coupler-Locks/Blaylock-Industries/BLTL-20-40D.html

I should know this, but I don't 😀  Is the Elite II Bulldog coupler 2" or 2-5/16"?

I could get through that in a five minutes with a battery powered saber saw.... the pin is hardened, which it should be, but "aircraft grade aluminum" will cut like butter. On second thought, make that 60 seconds per side, assuming a new blade and a fresh battery in my saw. Then the ball falls out. If the housing was forged steel it would be fine with a high quality padlock, not a $10 one.

You have a 2" coupler, unless you specifically requested Service to upgrade it.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

2 minutes ago, John E Davies said:

I could get through that in a five minutes with a battery powered saber saw.... the pin is hardened, which it should be, but "aircraft grade aluminum" will cut like butter. On second thought, make that 60 seconds per side, assuming a new blade and a fresh battery in my saw. Then the ball falls out.

You have a 2" coupler, unless you specifically requested Service to upgrade it.

John Davies

Spokane WA

I figured that would be the case 😏

Ray and Susan Huff

• Moderators

Susan, that lock, plus the collar lock, is what we've used for 13 years. Even if the Blaylock is cut, the collar lock would  keep the hitch from opening. More effective, imo, than collar lock plus ball bearing. At least two more minutes and tools...(John's estimate).

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators

GregHoke - 

Back to your original question.

Everything that I've read tells me that the safety chain s hooks do not "go" inside the cylinder of that Proven Industries coupler lock.  However, I do not have one of those myself.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

1 hour ago, topgun2 said:

GregHoke - 

Back to your original question.

Everything that I've read tells me that the safety chain s hooks do not "go" inside the cylinder of that Proven Industries coupler lock.  However, I do not have one of those myself.

Bill

Bill,

I have the proven lock and you are correct, the safety chains do not “go” or fit inside the lock. 

- Patriot

• Like 1

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

54 minutes ago, Patriot said:

Bill,

I have the proven lock and you are correct, the safety chains do not “go” or fit inside the lock. 

- Patriot

Does this diminish the effectiveness of the Proven Lock?

Ray and Susan Huff

2 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

Susan, that lock, plus the collar lock, is what we've used for 13 years. Even if the Blaylock is cut, the collar lock would  keep the hitch from opening. More effective, imo, than collar lock plus ball bearing. At least two more minutes and tools...(John's estimate).

If a ball bearing is used with the collar lock, wouldn't the "thief" have to breach the collar lock in order to remove the ball bearing?  I get that the ball bearing or Blaylock prevents someone from towing the trailer away with a smaller than 2" ball.  But just how likely is that to happen?  Would you fell secure with just the Collar lock?

Trying to keep it simple and eliminate the need for two padlocks.

Ray and Susan Huff

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Ray and Susan Huff said:

If a ball bearing is used with the collar lock, wouldn't the "thief" have to breach the collar lock in order to remove the ball bearing?  I get that the ball bearing or Blaylock prevents someone from towing the trailer away with a smaller than 2" ball.  But just how likely is that that?

I'd be ok with a ball bearing and a bulldog. Not an empty hitch.

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

On 3/11/2021 at 3:12 PM, SeaDawg said:

Many if us use the Collar lock, towing or camped. Plus a ball lock while camped.

Screenshot_20210311-151129_Chrome.jpg

We use the collar lock shown above with an ABUS lock. https://www.taylorsecurity.com/abus-20/80-diskus-padlock/0021102/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIx5vzoLC88AIVnP7jBx0i1QrmEAYYAyABEgJSgvD_BwE  

The ABUS lock is German made and has been tested to be one of the very hardest/ most difficult locks to pick.  Other similar locks take only seconds to pick by someone who knows what they're doing.  I use an ABUS lock when it counts.

2018 Elite II, Hull #414 (the very last 2018 produced).  Trailer name "2 HOBOS" .   2018 F250 4X4 Crew Cab, 6.7L diesel

Do you have a picture of how this collar lock works?  I don’t have my Ollie I yet and would love to see a picture. I plan on using the proven lock and a collar lock but I am undecided on the collar lock. 
Carl

2021 Legacy Elite I | "Lil' Tow" | Hull #924

Tow Vehicle: 2020 Jeep Gladiator