Greasing Dexter EZ flex suspension.

I have just noticed some suspension creaking noise.  My last suspension was at Oliver last September and have certainly traveled over 3000 miles since then so it is time to buy a grease gun and figure out what to do.  You Tube to the rescue.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

As I'm guessing that Ken has found out by now - this is not a "hard" job as long as you have the right tools.  Zerks (the things that you attach the grease gun hose to) can get plugged making it all but impossible to get any grease flowing.  The grease gun can be difficult to attach and remove from those zerks.  The entire job can be a bit messy given that you are dealing with grease and crawling around under the Ollie.  But, the job doesn't really take that long to do and it creates a good number of points for your "man" card.

Bill   👷‍♀️

• Haha 1

2017 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

3 hours ago, topgun2 said:

As I'm guessing that Ken has found out by now - this is not a "hard" job as long as you have the right tools.  Zerks (the things that you attach the grease gun hose to) can get plugged making it all but impossible to get any grease flowing.  The grease gun can be difficult to attach and remove from those zerks.  The entire job can be a bit messy given that you are dealing with grease and crawling around under the Ollie.  But, the job doesn't really take that long to do and it creates a good number of points for your "man" card.

Bill   👷‍♀️

I have found the God send of all greese guns.  Dewalt 18v cordless  greese gun.  I hated all greese guns,  clumsy need three hands hold the gun, pump it and try to hold the end on the fitting.  The cordless is great chuck snaps on pull the trigger Done.  Shocking price for one,  but what isn’t these days. Well worth the price after one use.

• Like 2

Can't find number of zerks on a single axle trailer in any manual.  Found that there was no grease in fittings at delivery. Or they dried out completely, no grease, in short time

2014 Toyota Tacoma 4x4

2021 Elite I #758       

image.png.d972b5fc86270818b1e0f030bfaa433a.pngMap of Provinces I Visited

The first time doing any job is usually a learning experience as simple as it might seem.  Well the first thing I learned is that the grease gun is not like a caulking gun.  The plunger needs to be pushed all the way in.  Mine would not go in and back to you tube for the answer which was to wiggle it a little with the cylinder unscrewed a bit.  Next, the LocknLube came with a great tip which locked on the zerk allowing up to 10,000 psi of force.  Unfortunately, I could only reach one zerk because the tip was so long the tires were in the way of the rest.  Since I was doing this at the storage lot not close to any autoparts store I proceeded to remove the wheels and finish the job.  When I got home I ordered a 90 degree tip from Amazon. The suspension creaking that alerted me to the problem was solved.

44 minutes ago, Ken_Judy said:

The first time doing any job is usually a learning experience as simple as it might seem.  Well the first thing I learned is that the grease gun is not like a caulking gun.  The plunger needs to be pushed all the way in.  Mine would not go in and back to you tube for the answer which was to wiggle it a little with the cylinder unscrewed a bit.  Next, the LocknLube came with a great tip which locked on the zerk allowing up to 10,000 psi of force.  Unfortunately, I could only reach one zerk because the tip was so long the tires were in the way of the rest.  Since I was doing this at the storage lot not close to any autoparts store I proceeded to remove the wheels and finish the job.  When I got home I ordered a 90 degree tip from Amazon. The suspension creaking that alerted me to the problem was solved.

Care to post a link to the 90 degree tip on Amazon? Thank you in advance!

2020 Ford F-250 6.7 liter Powerstroke Lariat Ultimate “Tremor” High Cap tow pkg  - 2020 OLEII - Hull #634