Toyota Tundra enough truck for an Elite II?

• Moderators

You will need the Andersen weight distribution hitch and you will need to watch your cargo carrying capacity.

Bill

• Like 1

2017 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

We used to tow with a 2016 5.7L Tundra 4X4 and could reach the pickup's GVW quickly with the LE2 Ollie connected.  Here's a few post on page 6 of this thread for our new 2022 Tundra towing our LE2. So far no pickup modifications made with stock coil springs on the rear differential, but air bags would be a nice factory option.

2022 Tundra 2015 LE2 #75

We tow with it’s SUV brother, a 2010 Sequoia, which has a 9500lb. tow rating and 1320lb. payload; just 2 of us, and our tent-camping habits allow us to easily stay within the payload capacity. We’ve used CAT scales in winter, when we’re carrying the heaviest payload, with no problems. The Anderson is a must; we get 12-10 mpg, depending on flat land or mountain towing.

• Like 1

2022 Elite II Twin “Katie”

2010 Toyota Sequoia 

FYI the Tundra comes with much better axle ring and pinions for towing, 4.30 ratio. The Land Cruisers and Sequoias have taller gears (my 2013 LC200 is 3.90, later ones are 3.03 😳) and they will struggle more in the mountains. Your Tundra will do fine in that respect. I would love to put two sets of Tundra gears in my truck, but $$$$$.

John Davies

Spokane WA

"Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II NARV (Not An RV) Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 33" LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel.

3 hours ago, topgun2 said:

You will need the Andersen weight distribution hitch and you will need to watch your cargo carrying capacity.

Bill

Agree with Bill. We had a 2014 Tundra and eventually bumped up to a F350 6.7 diesel one ton. Our 14 Tundra ran much higher RPMs in the mountains and never really felt as planted as our Super Duty. Quite honestly no comparison between the two trucks.
We looked hard at the new 2022 Toyota, unfortunately with a cargo capacity of only 1400 lbs we knew this was not adequate for cargo our needs and we would be quickly close or over legal weight limits. We always pull our Ollie with a full fresh water tank and plenty of camping gear, and a generator in the bed which quickly eats up 1400 lb limit.

With the F350 we are well within our safety margin of cargo weight which eliminates that concern. Also the larger Super Duty Cab we find so much more comfortable and we feel safer on long trips than we did with the Tundra for many reasons. We sold our Andersen hitch after we sold our Tundra as it is not needed with our Super Duty. The Super Duty also has a longer bed than our former Tundra which again helps accommodate all of our gear, tools, etc.

Good luck with your choice!

• Like 3

2020 OLEII - Hull #634   TV -2021 F 350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate “Tremor”

The 2010 Sequoia with the tow package & 5.7 engine had the  4.3:1 final drive ratio….it truly is a SUV version of a Tundra, at least for the era that I own.

• Like 2

2022 Elite II Twin “Katie”

2010 Toyota Sequoia 

I have a '20 Tundra TRD Sport which was purchased before I knew I'd own an Oliver and right after Covid began and dealers were desperate.   

I have done no suspension modifications but added taller Michelin Defender tires.    I do have the TRD sway bars and Bilstein shocks which I think are helpful features.  I have no squat at all with the WDH.  Outside of payload, which is low..around 1300# .. I find it to be a perfectly acceptable tow vehicle for the ILOVHER.   It has plenty of power with the V8 and when using the Tow/Haul mode, the transmission comes to life.    RPMs at times can tip up to 3k+ if you're a lead foot but doesn't stay there.   I like the integrated brake controller and the plug and play seven pin.   

I am certain when its time to do brakes, I'm going big ProComp slotted.  I would just feel safer with bigger braking power.  The other thing I will add at a later date is  an external transmission cooler.   Somehow Toyota slipped that out of the builds starting in 2019 and uses some kind of heat exchanger.    All three of my pre 2009 V8 4Runners had external coolers.  There is a big stink on the Tundra forums about this as people are scan gauging pretty high ATF temps while towing.

I pack light and distribute weight inside the camper if necessary (like the cooler of ice and beer)  I don't do much mountain driving and if I did, the Tundra would do the job but certainly not as safely as a 3/4 ton or 1 ton diesel.   I also think it's crucial with a half ton truck to have the Andersen WDH; no doubt there!

With all of the above said, if money were no object, I certainly would love a larger truck but it's not in the cards as of now.   The Beast is my daily driver and gas just shot to 5.29 here so I'm going to stick with her for now.   With my travel primarily on the east coast, and not full time as of yet, I think its a good dependable truck for towing my baby ILOVHER.

20210606_132854.jpg

• Like 8

2020 Toyota Tundra TRD Sport 5.7L V8 

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Hull #184 ~ "ILOVHER"

• Moderators

“Love the one you’re with…”

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2

Steve, Tali and the dogs: Reacher and Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie and Lucy (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg