First chip

Well, it finally happened. Got our first chip in the gelcoat. It's a tiny chip, about the size of the head of a pin, just below the beltline.

First question: is it hurting anything (other than my pride)? On a regular trailer I'd be worried about water intrusion, delamination, etc. 

Second question: Easy fix for a tiny chip?

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

• Moderators

1st question - nope, you are good to go.  Over time, dirt and grime will tend to collect in those chips and you might notice them more.

2nd question - Kind of like fixing paint chip on a car or truck.  I've never been very good at it such that the "touch-up paint" doesn't show.  One of the big problems in doing chip fix is getting the correct color - yes all Olivers are white but they are not all the same white.

Or, you can wear those chips with pride.  Kind of like a hard earned patina. 😉

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Like 6

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

You can buy marine white gel coat on Amazon and repair it. Easy to do but the color will probably not be the same white…..

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

Elite2 2022, #1120. RAM 3500 Laramie 2022 diesel SRW

Quebec, Canada

previous rig:  35 foot fifth wheel with Ford f350 2018 diesel DRW 

For reference, here’s a couple pics of what the outer Oliver hull fiberglass construction is like.  I have this piece from a 2” diameter hole I cut in the lower hull for a modification I did.  The total thickness in the area I cut through is about 1/4”.  Some high stress areas are thicker with additional reinforcement in the fiberglass.  The outer white gel coat layer is about 1/32” thick.  A small pin head size ding is not a problem for an Ollie 🙂

A6F91BF8-F9D4-4D8D-A312-311961136792.jpeg

8197CC60-45B5-4DE1-B4E9-EB331E450705.jpeg

• Thanks 2
  • Like 3

For a boat that sits in the water long term (in a slip), you definitely need to fill cracks and chips in the gelcoat, it can cause blistering and possibly delamination and rot otherwise. Your Ollie is not a worry. You will see a lot accumulate behind the rear tires, under the curve of the hull, unless you add mudflaps. Those chips can be unsightly, but most likely only the person who washes will notice.

Once there are a few bugs stuck down, nobody will notice chips.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 2
  • Like 5

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Steph and Dud B said:

First question: is it hurting anything (other than my pride)? On a regular trailer I'd be worried about water intrusion, delamination, etc. 

I’ve got a bunch of chips.  All is good.  I wish mine were the size of a pin head, but most are larger.  I may fix them at some point, but right now we’re too busy camping.  Mike

• Thanks 1
  • Like 6
  • Love 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

4 hours ago, Frank C said:

For reference, here’s a couple pics of what the outer Oliver hull fiberglass construction is like.  I have this piece from a 2” diameter hole I cut in the lower hull for a modification I did.  The total thickness in the area I cut through is about 1/4”.  Some high stress areas are thicker with reinforcement in the fiberglass.  The outer white gel coat layer is about 1/32” thick.  A small pin head size ding is not a problem for an Ollie 🙂

A6F91BF8-F9D4-4D8D-A312-311961136792.jpeg

8197CC60-45B5-4DE1-B4E9-EB331E450705.jpeg

Frank, was that painful to cut into the Ollie?  Thanks for the pictures.  It looks well made.

John

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

8 hours ago, John Welte said:

Frank, was that painful to cut into the Ollie?  Thanks for the pictures.  It looks well made.

John

It’s always a bit tense when cutting or drilling into the nice pristine glossy surface of the Ollie, you just have to make sure that the drill bit or hole saw doesn’t go skidding across the surface and create a big ugly scar, and also taking care not to crack or chip the gel coat layer.   But I’ve had very good success using diamond grit hole saws on the Ollie for making holes.  The diamond grit hole saw makes a very nice clean cut, and doesn’t cause any chipping or cracking of the top gel coat layer.  The center pilot bit creates a nice starter hole to keep the hole saw from shifting while drilling.  

062D7D7D-E080-47B8-AC8D-A819B65878C5.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 7

Frank, that is good to hear, are the diamond saws expensive? I use plain old bimetal steel ones from a kit. which work well enough, though they do leave frayed fibers on the back side of the hole. I just use 80 grit sandpaper to CAREFULLY hand sand that smooth. Use gloves because those fibers make nasty splinters in your fingers that are nearly impossible to see and remove, because they are clear glass (silica). I have lost count of how many big holes I have drilled in “Mouse”.  The first one requires bravery, after that, no big deal. I do try to not drill when I can use velcro or VHB tape instead.

John Davies

Spokane WA. 

• Like 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

8 minutes ago, John E Davies said:

Frank, that is good to hear, are the diamond saws expensive? 

From Lowe’s, $40 for the 2” hole saw plus $18 for the pilot bit.  So definitely more expensive than standard hole saws.  But very nice results. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frank C said:

From Lowe’s, $40 for the 2” hole saw plus $18 for the pilot bit.  So definitely more expensive than standard hole saws.  But very nice results. 

Yikes, too pricy for me….l I bought this set on sale at HD for around $65.

EC1E34D7-A07E-4DDE-8162-0C9363217EA8.thumb.png.1e78722592c1a840c7fc45c38b13301d.png

The individual saws are affordable, I used a 4” one to cut two holes in fiberglass and two in 1/8” aluminum plate. The aluminum took a while and a drill press with cutting oil and lots of patience. (I literally shattered a 20 volt DeWalt 1/2” drill gearbox trying this by hand 😳) Milwaukee makes specialty ones, for example this carbide unit, they are expensive and more suited for a production line application or a professional plumber or HVAC guy...

C3790F13-FCE9-45AB-A2C4-E2B818FCBE0A.thumb.png.1d164c088628e2948656603a572ce1b1.png

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Moderators

A bit of marinetex might fill the bit, and salvage your pride. A tiny chip isn't a big deal. We have a few. If the roving doesn't show, not a disaster. Seal it so the water doesn't intrude, if it's deep.

You can also open a ticket,  and ask for a bit of perfect match gelcoat.

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

34 minutes ago, SeaDawg said:

A bit of marinetex might fill the bit, and salvage your pride. A tiny chip isn't a big deal. We have a few. If the roving doesn't show, not a disaster. Seal it so the water doesn't intrude, if it's deep.

You can also open a ticket,  and ask for a bit of perfect match gelcoat.

Years ago, our Subaru came with a little container of touch up paint.  Does Oliver sell or provide a little touch up gel for those little chips.  

• Like 1

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

• Moderators

They buy gelcoat in big drums.

I don't think they supply a touch-up kit, as most folks never need it. And, it doesn't last long.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Touch up PAINT is different than gelcoat. Touchup paint can last a long time. SeaDawg is correct gelcoat would dry up very fast and not be useable.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine 

• 4 months later...
22 minutes ago, MnM said:

First chip is a big one for us somewhere in TX.  Will call Oliver Monday to see what they suggest for repair.  

F4FB8E91-FFEF-4A62-8984-84883705949D.jpeg

That is not a “chip”, it is a major hit. Did you hear it? I would take it to a marine repair shop that does boat stuff.

Is it located in front? Did the object come off your truck or was it one of those distressing ones you see coming toward you from the opposite lane? The kind where you think “Please please do not hit the windshield!!!’” Then CRACK, it hits right in your line of sight.., grrrr.

Good luck.

John Davies

Spokane WA

6 minutes ago, John E Davies said:

That is not a “chip”, it is a major hit. Did you hear it? I would take it to a marine repair shop that does boat stuff.

Is it located in front? Did the object come off your truck or was it one of those distressing ones you see coming toward you from the opposite lane? The kind where you think “Please please do not hit the windshield!!!’” Then CRACK, it hits right in your line of sight.., grrrr.

Good luck.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Didn’t hear it or even see it. Didn’t come from our truck as the mud flaps would protect that trajectory.  Guessing one of the hundreds of semis that zoomed past us in a 30 mph headwind on I-20 WB in TX.  Also got big windshield star right in front of the sensor array near rear view mirror same day.  Heard that one.   Will be calling Oliver on Monday about suggestions on this plus a power plug which already has the ground lug falling out (flops around)

Mike & Marianne Hermann, Scottsdale AZ

2022 RAM 2500 Hemi 4x4

Elite II Hull #1337

4 hours ago, MnM said:

Didn’t hear it or even see it. Didn’t come from our truck as the mud flaps would protect that trajectory.  Guessing one of the hundreds of semis that zoomed past us in a 30 mph headwind on I-20 WB in TX.  Also got big windshield star right in front of the sensor array near rear view mirror same day.  Heard that one.   Will be calling Oliver on Monday about suggestions on this plus a power plug which already has the ground lug falling out (flops around)

If it’s worth repairing, take it to Oliver and they will get you fixed up. They really know fiberglass and can do amazing repairs to fiberglass/gelcoat. It would look like nothing ever happened when they are finished.
I would never take it to a marine boat repair shop, just my 02 cents.
I hope it all works out for you.

Patriot🇺🇸

• Like 5

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

2 hours ago, Patriot said:

If it’s worth repairing, take it to Oliver and they will get you fixed up. They really know fiberglass and can do amazing repairs to fiberglass/gelcoat. It would look like nothing ever happened when they are finished.

Patriot🇺🇸

Being in AZ, getting it back to Oliver is not really an option for us.   Will call them and see what they suggest. We knew the one downside of getting the Ollie is no easy repairs from Oliver for us. I’m pretty inclined to do most mechanical things but I’ve never messed with Fiberglass. We have a highly regarded small local fiberglass repair shop.  I’d go there over the RV repair companies here local anyways.  

• Like 4

Mike & Marianne Hermann, Scottsdale AZ

2022 RAM 2500 Hemi 4x4

Elite II Hull #1337

10 hours ago, MnM said:

Being in AZ, getting it back to Oliver is not really an option for us.   Will call them and see what they suggest. We knew the one downside of getting the Ollie is no easy repairs from Oliver for us. I’m pretty inclined to do most mechanical things but I’ve never messed with Fiberglass. We have a highly regarded small local fiberglass repair shop.  I’d go there over the RV repair companies here local anyways.  

Sounds like you’re onto a good shop! It’s amazing what can be done with a fiberglass repair!  
All the best with your repair. 

Patriot 🇺🇸

• Like 2

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

• Moderators

MnM- 

The really big deal on the repair is getting the gel-coat the same color as the original.  The guys in Service at Oliver will be able to look up exactly what color of white your Ollie has on it and give that information to your repair shop.  Or, since this is such a small (relatively) chip, Service could possibly ship a small amount to you people so that they don't have to buy whatever the minimum quantity is and, of course, charge you for it.

Good luck!

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderator+
5 hours ago, Patriot said:

Patriot🇺🇸

The main problem with taking it anywhere other than Oliver is getting a perfect match on the color of the gel coat. My Hull #050 (and the next hundred or so builds) are a different color from the current ones. They no longer keep the old color in stock. 

• Like 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

Synthetic grout and white nail polish.  Ask a lady to pick out the color as us guys are color blind... At least that's what my wife says.

Then clear nail polish over that and poof gone to 99.9%.  They will never see it.

The bad new s that you, on the other hand will see it every time you walk by it. 

However, the not so good news is that in time your eyesight will diminish and the brain will forget about it.

🙂

GJ

• Like 3
  • Wow 3

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

• Moderator+
On 10/12/2022 at 12:34 PM, John E Davies said:

Yikes, too pricy for me….l I bought this set on sale at HD for around $65.

EC1E34D7-A07E-4DDE-8162-0C9363217EA8.thumb.png.1e78722592c1a840c7fc45c38b13301d.png

The individual saws are affordable, I used a 4” one to cut two holes in fiberglass and two in 1/8” aluminum plate. The aluminum took a while and a drill press with cutting oil and lots of patience. (I literally shattered a 20 volt DeWalt 1/2” drill gearbox trying this by hand 😳) Milwaukee makes specialty ones, for example this carbide unit, they are expensive and more suited for a production line application or a professional plumber or HVAC guy...

C3790F13-FCE9-45AB-A2C4-E2B818FCBE0A.thumb.png.1d164c088628e2948656603a572ce1b1.png

John Davies

Spokane WA

Through the years I have acquired every size hole saw that Dewalt makes from 9/16” to 6”. I have used them many times to cut perfectly sized holes in wood, acrylic, fiberglass, aluminum and mild steel. It’s much cleaner and easier if you can put your piece into a drill press rather than trying to use a hand drill. 

A14A3B9F-FC91-47EB-A29F-37913796C1C3.thumb.jpeg.ef8c49553f6fe781366ddbbe5faf2cee.jpeg

This is a deep scrub into the upper edge of the basement door. I had it open and moved the trailer forward allowing it to contact the concrete.

A4260030-FDDA-46D0-9025-49ED40BF820B.thumb.jpeg.8c122aef78bbfae1fdcfcf9de6375c01.jpeg

• Sad 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg