First chip

Well, it finally happened. Got our first chip in the gelcoat. It's a tiny chip, about the size of the head of a pin, just below the beltline.

First question: is it hurting anything (other than my pride)? On a regular trailer I'd be worried about water intrusion, delamination, etc. 

Second question: Easy fix for a tiny chip?

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.e6391b9064a3f8f0951751f985664135.jpg

• Moderators

1st question - nope, you are good to go.  Over time, dirt and grime will tend to collect in those chips and you might notice them more.

2nd question - Kind of like fixing paint chip on a car or truck.  I've never been very good at it such that the "touch-up paint" doesn't show.  One of the big problems in doing chip fix is getting the correct color - yes all Olivers are white but they are not all the same white.

Or, you can wear those chips with pride.  Kind of like a hard earned patina. 😉

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Like 6

2017 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

You can buy marine white gel coat on Amazon and repair it. Easy to do but the color will probably not be the same white…..

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

Elite2 2022, #1120. RAM 3500 Laramie 2022 diesel SRW

Quebec, Canada

previous rig:  35 foot fifth wheel with Ford f350 2018 diesel DRW 

For reference, here’s a couple pics of what the outer Oliver hull fiberglass construction is like.  I have this piece from a 2” diameter hole I cut in the lower hull for a modification I did.  The total thickness in the area I cut through is about 1/4”.  Some high stress areas are thicker with additional reinforcement in the fiberglass.  The outer white gel coat layer is about 1/32” thick.  A small pin head size ding is not a problem for an Ollie 🙂

A6F91BF8-F9D4-4D8D-A312-311961136792.jpeg

8197CC60-45B5-4DE1-B4E9-EB331E450705.jpeg

• Thanks 2
  • Like 3

2019 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #461

Tow Vehicle: 2019 Ford F-250 SuperCab 4x4, 6.2L Flex-Fuel engine  

visited-united-states-map.jpg

For a boat that sits in the water long term (in a slip), you definitely need to fill cracks and chips in the gelcoat, it can cause blistering and possibly delamination and rot otherwise. Your Ollie is not a worry. You will see a lot accumulate behind the rear tires, under the curve of the hull, unless you add mudflaps. Those chips can be unsightly, but most likely only the person who washes will notice.

Once there are a few bugs stuck down, nobody will notice chips.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 2
  • Like 5

"Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II NARV (Not An RV) Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 33" LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel.

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Steph and Dud B said:

First question: is it hurting anything (other than my pride)? On a regular trailer I'd be worried about water intrusion, delamination, etc. 

I’ve got a bunch of chips.  All is good.  I wish mine were the size of a pin head, but most are larger.  I may fix them at some point, but right now we’re too busy camping.  Mike

• Thanks 1
  • Like 6
  • Love 1

Texas Hill Country | Elite II #135 | Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

4 hours ago, Frank C said:

For reference, here’s a couple pics of what the outer Oliver hull fiberglass construction is like.  I have this piece from a 2” diameter hole I cut in the lower hull for a modification I did.  The total thickness in the area I cut through is about 1/4”.  Some high stress areas are thicker with reinforcement in the fiberglass.  The outer white gel coat layer is about 1/32” thick.  A small pin head size ding is not a problem for an Ollie 🙂

A6F91BF8-F9D4-4D8D-A312-311961136792.jpeg

8197CC60-45B5-4DE1-B4E9-EB331E450705.jpeg

Frank, was that painful to cut into the Ollie?  Thanks for the pictures.  It looks well made.

John

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. 

2022 Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), picked up November 7, 2022

8 hours ago, John Welte said:

Frank, was that painful to cut into the Ollie?  Thanks for the pictures.  It looks well made.

John

It’s always a bit tense when cutting or drilling into the nice pristine glossy surface of the Ollie, you just have to make sure that the drill bit or hole saw doesn’t go skidding across the surface and create a big ugly scar, and also taking care not to crack or chip the gel coat layer.   But I’ve had very good success using diamond grit hole saws on the Ollie for making holes.  The diamond grit hole saw makes a very nice clean cut, and doesn’t cause any chipping or cracking of the top gel coat layer.  The center pilot bit creates a nice starter hole to keep the hole saw from shifting while drilling.  

062D7D7D-E080-47B8-AC8D-A819B65878C5.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 7

Frank, that is good to hear, are the diamond saws expensive? I use plain old bimetal steel ones from a kit. which work well enough, though they do leave frayed fibers on the back side of the hole. I just use 80 grit sandpaper to CAREFULLY hand sand that smooth. Use gloves because those fibers make nasty splinters in your fingers that are nearly impossible to see and remove, because they are clear glass (silica). I have lost count of how many big holes I have drilled in “Mouse”.  The first one requires bravery, after that, no big deal. I do try to not drill when I can use velcro or VHB tape instead.

John Davies

Spokane WA. 

• Like 2

"Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II NARV (Not An RV) Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

8 minutes ago, John E Davies said:

Frank, that is good to hear, are the diamond saws expensive? 

From Lowe’s, $40 for the 2” hole saw plus $18 for the pilot bit.  So definitely more expensive than standard hole saws.  But very nice results. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frank C said:

From Lowe’s, $40 for the 2” hole saw plus $18 for the pilot bit.  So definitely more expensive than standard hole saws.  But very nice results. 

Yikes, too pricy for me….l I bought this set on sale at HD for around $65.

EC1E34D7-A07E-4DDE-8162-0C9363217EA8.thumb.png.1e78722592c1a840c7fc45c38b13301d.png

The individual saws are affordable, I used a 4” one to cut two holes in fiberglass and two in 1/8” aluminum plate. The aluminum took a while and a drill press with cutting oil and lots of patience. (I literally shattered a 20 volt DeWalt 1/2” drill gearbox trying this by hand 😳) Milwaukee makes specialty ones, for example this carbide unit, they are expensive and more suited for a production line application or a professional plumber or HVAC guy...

C3790F13-FCE9-45AB-A2C4-E2B818FCBE0A.thumb.png.1d164c088628e2948656603a572ce1b1.png

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Moderators

A bit of marinetex might fill the bit, and salvage your pride. A tiny chip isn't a big deal. We have a few. If the roving doesn't show, not a disaster. Seal it so the water doesn't intrude, if it's deep.

You can also open a ticket,  and ask for a bit of perfect match gelcoat.

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

34 minutes ago, SeaDawg said:

A bit of marinetex might fill the bit, and salvage your pride. A tiny chip isn't a big deal. We have a few. If the roving doesn't show, not a disaster. Seal it so the water doesn't intrude, if it's deep.

You can also open a ticket,  and ask for a bit of perfect match gelcoat.

Years ago, our Subaru came with a little container of touch up paint.  Does Oliver sell or provide a little touch up gel for those little chips.  

• Like 1

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. 

2022 Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), picked up November 7, 2022

• Moderators

They buy gelcoat in big drums.

I don't think they supply a touch-up kit, as most folks never need it. And, it doesn't last long.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Touch up PAINT is different than gelcoat. Touchup paint can last a long time. SeaDawg is correct gelcoat would dry up very fast and not be useable.

• Thanks 1

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2018 RAM 1500 Rebel 4 x 4, 5.7 Hemi, 3.92 gear ratio

Maine