MAXXAIR Fan remote stopped working

All was working well until we got home from our camping trip. Now the remote will not activate the fan. Changed the batteries, but old ones or replacements both show full charge on the remote LCD screen and all the functions show on the remote LCD screen. The little transmit icon goes on as well, but no BEEP and no response on the MAXXAIR fan. Any ideas? Thanks

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory
  • Moderators

Well, two things.

On old school push button phones, stuff would get gummed up, over time. I'd unplug the phone, and push sharply and repeatedly on keys, and try again. Usually worked. (Worked on my mom's TV remote a few months back.)

If that brings no joy, open up the battery compartment,  remove batteries, and clean the contacts. Reinsert batteries, and see if you have success.

If that doesn't work, if it were me, I'd be ordering a new remote.  Then again, could be the receiver in the fan...

• Like 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Thanks SeaDawg, I appreciate your help and quick response!

Of course, you're not here and cannot see what's going on, but I don't think it is the remote, unless the IR output of the remote has failed. The remote is extremely clean, no dust around the buttons, like it has hardly been used at all. Every button works, and as you click the various buttons the large LCD screens respond in changing the icons and numbers up and down as it should.

When we got home, it was the first time I used the buttons on the fan to control it. I was wondering if there is something I could have done, in working the main controls to disconnect the fan from the remote. Is the remote not sending the IR signal, or is the fan not receiving the IR signal? I get no fan control from the remote, but it makes the changes on the screen, and I get no fan beeps in using the remote. I've read some issues here with the control board of these fans. 

I'm going to try a fan reset. Though, it is 95 degrees here today at 5400 ft in Prescott AZ, so I will have to brave out and run the "got earplugs" AC for a while first! Not sure a reset will change things. I'll pull the fuse too. Keep you posted and other ideas are certainly welcome from all! Thanks again. 

MAXXAIR Remote.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Thank you Bill, for your very kind offer! 🙂

Turns out, I'm good now. Please allow me to start by apologizing for wasting the time of those reading. 

I should have thought to reboot first, like when your PC is acting up. The reset function only resets the fan turn-on temp to 78. So, I climbed down to lay on the floor (Why did OTT mount a power panel, designed with the door opening in the wrong direction? Where you can only see and access the 12V fuses with your head down by the table post?). Quite painful. So, I pulled the 3rd fuse, and power to the fan cutoff. Laid there another half minute and installed the fuse. When I got up, I was very happy to see that the remote was able to power the fan and all functions worked! Set the turn-on temp and fan speed and it appears all is working again as designed.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, jd1923 said:

Thank you Bill, for your very kind offer! 🙂

Turns out, I'm good now. Please allow me to start by apologizing for wasting the time of those reading. 

I should have thought to reboot first, like when your PC is acting up. The reset function only resets the fan turn-on temp to 78. So, I climbed down to lay on the floor (Why did OTT mount a power panel, designed with the door opening in the wrong direction? Where you can only see and access the 12V fuses with your head down by the table post?). Quite painful. So, I pulled the 3rd fuse, and power to the fan cutoff. Laid there another half minute and installed the fuse. When I got up, I was very happy to see that the remote was able to power the fan and all functions worked! Set the turn-on temp and fan speed and it appears all is working again as designed.

Another secret incantation to remember!  I would not have thought of that, thanks for sharing!

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Hull #364 - The Roadrunner 

2023 F350 CCLB SRW 6.7L

ALAKAZARCACOFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMSMO

Your can check to see if an IR transmitter is working with many cell phone cameras. In a dark room, point the remote at your cell camera and press a button. Most cell phone cameras can see IR light.

FYI, another thing to watch with MaxxAir fans: some cell phones have a IR transmitter on the screen side. (It's used to detect when the phone is near your face, so your face doesn't press buttons while talking on the phone.) In our last trailer the fan was over the bed. If we left a cell phone face up on the bed the IR from the cell phone would interfere with the MaxxAir remote. (Took me forever to figure that one out!) I imagine the same could happen with a cell phone by the stove or pantry in an Ollie.

• Thanks 4
  • Like 1

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

Thanks guys, I guess I was not wasting your time. We all love writing and talking about our toys, the Ollie being new for me, for sure!

I wonder could the IR from one of our cellphones (mine is a years old iPhone, but Chris has a brand-new Samsung) was what caused the MAXXAIR to get confused in the first place? 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, jd1923 said:

I'm going to try a fan reset.

Resetting the fan is the trick.  Not sure why the control board forgets who and where it is BUT all energy has to be taken away to reset it - that includes the energy from the solar panels.  You could do that via the resettable fuse below and near the pantry.

Charlie.

• Like 3

ALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMA

Arizona | 2020 Oliver Elite II Twin bed Hull #617 | 2021 Ram 1500 e-Hemi 4x4

I take pics of things I have trouble seeing, and after crawling on the floor to get to the fuse panel, I took a pic for future reference (attached). Yours may have a different layout, but on mine it's the 20A DC fuse #3 that feeds both fans. It actually doesn't matter whether solar, generator or shore power is connected, the DC branch circuits feed off the batteries. Pulling this fuse will remove "all energy" to the fans, no matter what incoming power feeds are connected.

This is true of all fuses and breakers, whether it's an automotive DC fuse box, and AC panel in your home or an RV which has the combined AC/DC panel. The only power getting to this fan is through this 12V fused circuit. The only reason to throw a main switch is to disconnect all power, coming from the batteries and any connected sources. This would only be necessary if you need to replace the power panel, add a new run for an appliance, wire a new breaker, or other major electrical surgery!

Oliver Electrical Panel.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

I did just read another post about the MAXXAIR where it stated there was no fuse for the fan! Why in the world would any manufacturer do that? If yours does not have a dedicated fuse for the fan, then what Charlie suggested would be required, turn the battery master switch to the open position.

• Thanks 2

52 minutes ago, jd1923 said:

what Charlie suggested would be required, turn the battery master switch to the open position.

And you'll probably have to throw the fuse switch for the solar panels - at least you do on ours.  Since my post yesterday I have found it's our garage door opener being used in the proximity of our Ollie with the fan on that causes ours to go crazy 🤪 

Charlie.

• Thanks 1
  • Wow 2
  • Sad 1

ALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMA

Arizona | 2020 Oliver Elite II Twin bed Hull #617 | 2021 Ram 1500 e-Hemi 4x4

• Moderators
On 7/12/2023 at 9:27 PM, jd1923 said:

Why did OTT mount a power panel, designed with the door opening in the wrong direction?

That’s the way they are manufactured.  I believe that John Davies has a post in his how to library explaining his rework of the left swing door on the Progressive Dynamics power control panel.

On 7/14/2023 at 3:22 PM, jd1923 said:

I did just read another post about the MAXXAIR where it stated there was no fuse for the fan! Why in the world would any manufacturer do that?

Our LE2 has a breaker marked Blower in the attic that controls the power to both the MaxxAir and Ventline fans.

Mossey

IMG_2563.thumb.jpeg.234b5f61d3a075b63423d75edc7f9615.jpeg

• Like 3

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

2 hours ago, mossemi said:

Our LE2 has a breaker in the attic

In the attic above the emergency exit window? There's no breaker in current production, unless it is hidden behind the street side panel.

-----
Steve - Northern Ohio, USA
Wandering around on occasion, always lost.
2021 Toyota Land Cruiser - 2023 Oliver Elite II Twin Hull #1360 “Curiosity”
Facebook - Instagram

Camped in Curiosity = Green —— Visited with Curiosity = Gray

map.jpg

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Steve Morris said:

In the attic above the emergency exit window? There's no breaker in current production, unless it is hidden behind the street side panel.

The picture shows the breaker panel mounted to the front of the panel for easy access.

Mossey

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

8 hours ago, mossemi said:

That’s the way they are manufactured.

And there are likely many other models, by this panel manufacturer and others, that have a RHS door opening. BTW, they could have mounted this same unit upside down and turn the label 180 degrees. It would be as easy as that! I will make the correction at some point. I'll Check JD's post.

Issue is, they are selling $100K TTs this way and it only would take 10 cents of reasoning to deliver a better design here, one that we would not have to modify. This will sit at the bottom of my list for a long time, and I'll cuss each time I have to lay on the floor to check a fuse.

Wow, that breaker panel in your attic. Looks like something from Lost in Space! I'm glad I have a fan fuse and not have a secondary breaker panel. Thanks for showing this. I'm learning all I can about these OTT works of art!

• Like 2

• Moderators

In all fairness,  it is a bit of a pita to get under the small dinette table (in ours), but when and how often does it happen? A handful of times, for us, in 16 seasons.

In rentals we've delivered, and other rvs we've owned, the panel was in equally awkward and inconvenient locations. (Often, under the bed.)

You could always move it, but fuses and breakers should logically be located as close to the power source (batteries) as possible, imo.  For us, in our 2008, that's that not so fun spot, under the small dinette.

Do I enjoy getting down on the floor to check? No. But, it's a rare occurrence.  I'll live with it, and we have for 16 seasons.

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• 5 months later...

My arms on my MaxxFan have broken, noticed this on the last camping trip in the summer. If I don't replace the arms, what is the preferred fan to replace it with? Same model?  Mine was built in late 2015/early 2016, #129. Any assessments are appreciated.  Thank you.

2016 Oliver Legacy Elite II;  #129

Ordered in 2015, picked up in 2016.  My friend Don Thompson picked his up right in front of me, very cool dude.

2016 Nissan Titan XD, Diesel

27 minutes ago, Vector - Lanham said:

My arms on my MaxxFan have broken, noticed this on the last camping trip in the summer. If I don't replace the arms, what is the preferred fan to replace it with? Same model?  Mine was built in late 2015/early 2016, #129. Any assessments are appreciated.  Thank you.

A new MaxxFan is expensive, but replaced mine with a new MaxxAir on #75. Lower priced MaxxAir fans can be found on internet compared to the following link.  Left the original MaxxAir roof mount in place only needed to remove four screws and disconnected two wires to remove MaxxAir unit, if I remember correctly. Individual MaxxAir parts might be available online, too. Someone on the forum already has my old remote control.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ZOF09Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

2015 LE2

22 minutes ago, Vector - Lanham said:

I would just replace it with the Maxxfan deluxe.  

• Thanks 1

2014 Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel 4X4 Truck

2024 Oliver Legacy Elite II Hull 1460

ARILINIAKSKYLAMIMNMONMOHOKPASDTNTXVAmed.

Is it the arms or the lifting gearbox? There was a batch of MaxxFans about the age of your trailer that had weak lid-lifting gearboxes that would fail. MaxxAir sells an improved replacement part (I found them on etrailer.com). They're inexpensive and easy to replace. I replaced all 3 on our fifth wheel.

They call it an operator mechanism. Here's a video on the problem and repair: https://youtu.be/bcnbfPuu-bM?si=pdYe1hsefngecYHW

• Thanks 3
  • Like 1

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

• Moderators

I believe that Mike and Carol replaced the operating arms on their fan.  Perhaps a private message (PM) to Mike would be in order.

Bill

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

Replacing the "operators" is likely much easier than replacing the fan.

If you go the second route, there are many options, depending on the level of sophisticated operation you want. They're all designed for the 14 x 14 opening. All replacements require getting on the roof, and cleaning old sealants, resealing, etc.

I'd pm @Mike and Carol, if I were you.

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4