Dumping Surprise

I dumped the gray water tank this morning, and got a bit of a surprise.  The dump hose had a crack in it, about a foot from the outlet connection.  Waste water leaked out on the ground.

I am so thankful that we have a composting toilet, and that it wasn’t a black water dump.  In several decades of RV camping, I’ve never had this happen, but it serves as a good reminder that things break or wear out, and it might be a good preventive idea to replace them occasionally.

• Like 2
  • Wow 3

Hull #364 - The Roadrunner 

2023 F350 CCLB SRW 6.7L

ALAKAZARCACOFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMSMO

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory
  • Moderators

And your experience is a classic example of why those of us with the "standard" toilet should always release a bit of grey water first prior to dumping the black.

This makes sure that the hose connections are solid AND that the hose is not going to leak.

Bill

• Thanks 2
  • Like 3

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

2 hours ago, topgun2 said:

This makes sure that the hose connections are solid AND that the hose is not going to leak.

Absolutely @topgun2!  We dumped this AM at the house after returning from Mexico yesterday PM...  We've always released a small amount of grey water before dumping the good stuff.  It may also assist in moving the black effluent down what would otherwise be a dry hose.  

With the OTT wastewater holding tank flushing feature, (we didn't have this in our previous RV) we're now in the habit of running a wastewater holding tank full of freshwater to dump through the hose after the gray water's been eliminated.  A final step that seems to work for us - on many levels.  HA!

• Like 6

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo S GX, Other Victron Stuff: SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller,  DC-DC Charger, 12VDC Starlink kit, and Alcan 5-pack Leaf Springs
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

3 hours ago, Wandering Sagebrush said:

The dump hose had a crack in it,

It's also why I almost immediately got rid of the gray/yellow hose that came with the Ollie and went back to my normal Rhino Extreme hose. I have never had an issue with Rhino's but I have known several people that have had the gray ones fail.

BL

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Our original hoses from Oliver cracked after a year , and we bought much better  quality thicker walled Rhino flex replacement hoses.

Listed them in the Oliver Outfitters Guide on Amazon 

https://4-ever-hitched.com

• Like 1

2019 Elite II (Hull 505 - Galway Girl - August 7, 2019 Delivery) 
Tow Vehicle: 2021 F350 King Ranch, FX4, MaxTow Package, 10 Speed, 3.55 Rear Axle
Batteries Upgrade: Dual 315GTX Lithionics Lithiums - 630AH Total
Inverter/Charger: Xantrex 2000Pro 

Travel BLOG:  https://4-ever-hitched.com

IMG_5421.jpeg.c1f697a00240a9bd6729b0930bd3a4aa.jpeg

Same story, the waste hose shredded on a cold day last January returning from Oliver.  Luckily the Oliver supplied waste hose came in two section and we could utilize the second section.  We then replaced the hose with a Rhino and that's been working fine. We have a composting toilet and are very happy with that decision.  

• Like 3

Tom & Doreen • 2023 Elite ll • Hull #1321 • 2023 Tundra Platinum Crew Max • Cheshire CT 

States1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/2/2023 at 2:38 PM, Brian and Brandelyne said:

got rid of the gray/yellow hose that came with the Ollie and went back to my normal Rhino Extreme hose.

Same here.  Never had a problem with them...

• Like 2

spacer.png

• 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo S GX, Other Victron Stuff: SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller,  DC-DC Charger, 12VDC Starlink kit, and Alcan 5-pack Leaf Springs

• Moderators
On 10/2/2023 at 1:15 PM, Wandering Sagebrush said:

I dumped the gray water tank this morning, and got a bit of a surprise.  The dump hose had a crack in it, about a foot from the outlet connection.  Waste water leaked out on the ground.

I am so thankful that we have a composting toilet, and that it wasn’t a black water dump.  In several decades of RV camping, I’ve never had this happen, but it serves as a good reminder that things break or wear out, and it might be a good preventive idea to replace them occasionally.

Yes. Those corrugated "reinforced" hoses only last so long.

Hill #12,,2008, 3rd (maybe 4th) set of hoses.

Highly recommend Rhino.

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Ours are 3 yo.  My problem is I have accidently stepped on them while dumping.  Some slight oval-ing, but no cracks or leaks.

I think I will replace before next outing...

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Maggie & Bryan | Arnegard, ND | 2020 LE II "Twins" Hull #665 | 2021 RAM 2500  6.4L HEMI Gasser  4dr  6.5' bed

ABBCMBNBNTNSONPEQCSKYTALARCTDEFLGAILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMONENHNJNYNCNDOHOKPARISCSDTNTXVTVAWVWIxlg.jpg.d41b39fcf844ad1935d35acdc8a6c203.jpg

Since i only have grey water i opted for just an 8ft garden hose its much slower but easier to handle and has worked well for me so far. except when 2 other trailers decided to pull up behind me at the dump station the other day right as i started. Some dirty looks since it was taking so long.

• Like 2

2018 F150 FX4 5.0v8 

2022 Oliver Elite Hull #1285

2023 Oliver Elite Hull #1434

I transitioned from Rhino Extreme with twist-on lug fittings to Waste Master with CAM lock fittings. I didn’t like the way the Rhino would ‘snake’ and expand in length when dumping, and carrying two 10’ sections, just in case extra length was needed, was a tight fit in the rear compartment. The WM 20’ hose is more robust and smoother inside for better flow and ease of cleaning, compresses to ~5’, holds the desired extended length when setup; and has a clear view port, 90° discharge with a handle, control valve and rubber doughnut at its’ terminus.

IMG_1382.thumb.jpeg.021e6af48ac7fdae0a1937f7bc68da81.jpeg

IMG_6354.thumb.png.c20d15d43351d77f325c057e27de9fb5.png

• Thanks 2
  • Wow 3

2020 OLEll, Twin, 579

2012 Silverado 1500 4x4

No installed solar, Renogy 40A DC-DC charger, 460Ah LFP battery bank/Victron SmartShunt

• Moderators

In addition to using the Rhino Extreme hose, I never lay it across the ground, where a gravel rock or some other sharp object could puncture the stinky slinky.  instead, I cradle it in one of those gradually descending support structures, such as the Camco Sidewinder 20-Ft Camper/RV Sewer Hose Support which can also be useful for routing around obstacles.

• Like 5

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Ronbrink said:

I transitioned from Rhino Extreme with twist-on lug fittings to Waste Master with CAM lock fittings.

I haven't purchased any of these waste hoses in awhile - but - they sure seem to be "proud" of this one.

Bill

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Wandering Sagebrush said:

and it’s on “sale”.

Dang!

I missed that part.  Perhaps I'll have to change today's schedule and run out to get one before they are all gone.😇

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, topgun2 said:

I haven't purchased any of these waste hoses in awhile - but - they sure seem to be "proud" of this one.

Bill

Yep, in good keeping; Oliver owners ‘spare no expense’!

• Haha 4

2020 OLEll, Twin, 579

2012 Silverado 1500 4x4

No installed solar, Renogy 40A DC-DC charger, 460Ah LFP battery bank/Victron SmartShunt

• Moderators
12 hours ago, topgun2 said:

Bill

Everything made of plastic (petroleum)  has become more expensive.  Little  pvc fittings are two or three times the price of a few years ago .  It's kind of astounding to shop the plumbing fittings aisle, honestly. 

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

So what's the consensus? Do we think the Orange/black Rhino Extreme, Thetford Titan (black with green ends), or the big green Waste Master? I'm standing by ready to order on Amazon!!

spacer.png

Albert & Terri Sterns

Paonia, Colorado

Elite II Hull #1125 Standard Floorplan / 2017 Ford F250 gas

...getting a bit "stinky-slinky envy" going on here  🤪

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

spacer.png

8 hours ago, AlbertNTerri said:

So what's the consensus?

My thought in buying the Waste Master was that if it lasts 2X longer than the leading competitor at twice the price then nothing lost, right?  My Amazon purchase three years ago was $133, double the cost of the former Rhino Extreme setup. Now get this, I listed the Oliver Camco (still in the box) and the Rhino Extreme (used one year) on Marketplace, and sold for $17 and $80, respectively. I should mention the Rhino also went with an orange garden hose (for black tank/sewer hose rinse) and a Valterra Twist-On waste valve. That said, in actuality my upgrade was not that expensive. No regrets, the upgrade resolved a year’s worth of frustration trying to stuff the ‘uncooperative’ Rhino into its’ cage and other cumbersome antics, and having a single connection with the very secure CAM lock is unsurpassed satisfaction. Another worthy note, there is less anxiety at the dump station that ‘all will go well’ as either dump valve is opened; think sewer hose staying in place and/or hose end jumping out of position at the sewer receptacle, thus resulting in a much dreaded unintentional release, yuk! I can now open the ‘primary’ dump valve at the OTT, then hold in place the sewer hose terminus as the ‘secondary’ valve is opened. WOW, I never imagined this task being fun as opposed to just a chore, but I’ve digressed! NOW. when curious drive-bys slowly pass while dumping, I’m never certain if they’re checking out the Oliver or the Waste Master! 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

2020 OLEll, Twin, 579

2012 Silverado 1500 4x4

The outlet head on the Waste Master looks quite large. Question for those who own a Waste Master. 

Is it difficult to fit the Waste Master outlet head into the Oliver back bumper storage compartment due to size?

Thanks.

2022 Oliver Legacy Elite II, Hull 1242, 9/26/22

Lithium Platinum Power/Solar Package

Tow with Supercrew Cab 2019 F-150 4 x4, 5.0L 4-Valve V8 with 3.73 axle ratio & 157" wheelbase.

F-150 GCWR of 16,900 lbs with maximum load trailer of 11,500 lbs.

When dumping my gray tank, I discovered a crack in my discharge hose. Luckily all I had to do was turn the crack to the top of the hose and continued to empty the gray tank without any further leak. Obviously I replaced the hose after that.

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine 

• Moderators
11 hours ago, AlbertNTerri said:

I'm just using it for gray water since we have the Nature's Head

Why not use a "garden" hose?  

Even a 3/4 inch one would be a bunch easier to handle versus ANY slinky I know of.

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2