What were your deciding factors when you purchased your Oliver, Legacy Elite?

Bobby P

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Travel Trailers for Sale
View Inventory
  • Moderators

Bobby- 

Once you have really looked at the Oliver versus any of the other brands you mentioned - you WILL know the difference.

I too looked at most of what you have looked at and the quality difference in the Oliver versus any of them is immediately apparent.

Bill

• Like 6

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Near Asheville, NC

We were in an Airstream Basecamp 16x prior to the purchase of our Oliver LE2. There were several important factors in our decision.

First and  foremost is the quality of the trailer. The trailer is very well designed and speced out with excellent components. The floorplan is very well thought out and important infrastructure in the trailer is easily accessible. The interior finishes are beautiful and the trailer is light inside with plenty of windows and lights.
Secondly, Oliver support is fantastic. They are very helpful with questions and have been very responsive regarding the few minor issues we have had, (a bad bearing in the bathroom fan and a defect in the surround for the microwave oven.  Oliver University is a great source of information that is easily accessed and searched.

Lastly, the Oliver has good ground clearance, significantly better than our Airstream, which allows us to get to places we wouldn’t be able to otherwise

• Like 5

Robert and Cheryl, Louisville, KY, Legacy Elite II Hull #1390 Oliphino, TV F250 Tremor

As topgun2 and Rolind mentioned, the quality of the Oliver is one of the best in the industry. Oliver is far above the others in support of their owner's (both new and used).

Contact the Oliver company and they will let  you know where the closest Owner's are located to your location who can show you their Oliver. They will also set up the meeting day and time for you. I suggest that you look at both the Elite and the Elite II for comparision.

• Like 5

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine 

What everybody said above, also I believe Oliver is the only fibreglass trailer with an inner and outer hull, ie 2 bottom and 2 top, and no carpet like “liner” on the inside . The insulation is achieved by the gap between the inner/outer top hulls and thinsulate type of insulation. Some people don’t like the sterile inside look of the Oliver, I love it! 

Nothing beats seeing an Oliver in person, but here are some good YouTube videos about the Oliver.

• Like 7

2023 Elite II, Hull# 1386, Lithium Platinum Package (640AH, 400W Solar, 3000W Xantrex Inverter)
Truma water heater & AC

TV: 2024 Silverado 2500HD 6.6L 10-Speed Allison

Our 2022 Oliver is our 4th trailer: 1 travel trailer and 2 fifth wheels prior. Our main goal in moving to a molded fiberglass trailer was to reduce potential roof leaks and the damage they can cause. Ease of towing was a secondary reason. When it comes to the molded fiberglass trailers, Oliver has no equal, as you'll find when you see one in person. (Note that Olivers are heavier than their molded fiberglass competitors, requiring a more substantial tow vehicle.)

What we've found to be the Oliver's strengths are: construction materials, size/maneuverability/ease of towing, the lithium/solar package (love this), and sound proofing (the double hulls and dual pane windows can really block outside noise at night). Service has also been better than most RV manufacturers. Weaknesses have been various errors made during its construction and the inherent limitations of its size (limited storage, smaller tanks, etc.), but we understood that we were downsizing.

To be 100% honest, our Oliver has not been as trouble-free as we had hoped, perhaps because it was a COVID-era unit. I've detailed our problems in this forum so I won't repeat them now. Fortunately, Oliver service has largely lived up to their reputation in addressing our issues quickly and we're starting to enjoy our trailer more now. Also, to be honest, we've heard far worse from many people who bought non-Oliver RVs in the same time period, so I suppose it was still a net-positive for us. There's only one other manufacturer I would consider today, and they're brand-new, so it remains to be seen if their reality can match their promise.

How do you plan to transport your sea kayaks while towing the trailer? Rooftop on the truck?

• Like 5

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

• Moderators
  • Quality
  • Durability
  • Easy towing
  • Maneuverability, especially in tight campgrounds
  • Service Department
  • Owner network
  • Family owned
  • Annual Oliver sponsored rally
  • This forum

Mike

• Like 9

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

21 hours ago, Mike and Carol said:
  • Quality
  • Durability
  • Easy towing
  • Service Department
  • Owner network
  • Family owned
  • This forum

Mike

I second what Mike wrote.  We're able to see around the trailer with just our stock mirrors on our Ford Expedition.  It tracks in the same area as the tow vehicle, so it's easy to tow and we're not concerned with where the trailer wheels are.

John

• Like 6

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

3 hours ago, Steph and Dud B said:

Our 2022 Oliver is our 4th trailer: 1 travel trailer and 2 fifth wheels prior. Our main goal in moving to a molded fiberglass trailer was to reduce potential roof leaks and the damage they can cause. Ease of towing was a secondary reason. When it comes to the molded fiberglass trailers, Oliver has no equal, as you'll find when you see one in person. (Note that Olivers are heavier than their molded fiberglass competitors, requiring a more substantial tow vehicle.)

What we've found to be the Oliver's strengths are: construction materials, size/maneuverability/ease of towing, the lithium/solar package (love this), and sound proofing (the double hulls and dual pane windows can really block outside noise at night). Service has also been better than most RV manufacturers. Weaknesses have been various errors made during its construction and the inherent limitations of its size (limited storage, smaller tanks, etc.), but we understood that we were downsizing.

To be 100% honest, our Oliver has not been as trouble-free as we had hoped, perhaps because it was a COVID-era unit. I've detailed our problems in this forum so I won't repeat them now. Fortunately, Oliver service has largely lived up to their reputation in addressing our issues quickly and we're starting to enjoy our trailer more now. Also, to be honest, we've heard far worse from many people who bought non-Oliver RVs in the same time period, so I suppose it was still a net-positive for us. There's only one other manufacturer I would consider today, and they're brand-new, so it remains to be seen if their reality can match their promise.

How do you plan to transport your sea kayaks while towing the trailer? Rooftop on the truck?

Our sea kayaks are 16 foot. They will be on the roof of the tow vehicle.

Just curious what is the name of the other manufacturer?

First time we saw an Oliver Legacy Elite was before the Legacy Elite 2 was available. We loved the looks of the interior and exterior of the Legacy Elite and wanted to eventually buy one. 

One of our previous campers had a wood floor that eventually started to rot from a previous water leak. When we were in the market for a Ollie or Airstream, the Airstream was only available with a wood floor (at that time) and Ollie was built with inner and outer fiberglass hulls.  We decided to buy an Oliver. Found a used 2015 LE2 for sale during 2016.

Since purchasing Ollie we fixed leaks from porch lights and rear Oliver sign. Also had a PEX pipe to leak in the basement. After fixing these leaks, we don't have to worry about having a wood floor that will rot.

Camping with Ollie has been a wonderful way to explore and stay at places around the USA we always wanted to visit. Two things learned since buying our LE2, Ollie has gained value above the used purchase price and has wonderful towing manners.

Best way I can explain it is Ollie is very pleasant to camp with.

2023011212211496--233327372255770592-L.j

• Like 3

Bill & Debbie / 2015 LE2 #75 / 2024 F-150 5.0L / North Carolina

We cover the 10 choice requirements in our blog here:

https://4-ever-hitched.com/ggs-blog/f/how-did-we-choose-an-oliver-travel-trailer

• Like 1

2019 Elite II (Hull 505 - Galway Girl - August 7, 2019 Delivery) 
Tow Vehicle: 2021 F350 King Ranch, FX4, MaxTow Package, 10 Speed, 3.55 Rear Axle
Batteries Upgrade: Dual 315GTX Lithionics Lithiums - 630AH Total
Inverter/Charger: Xantrex 2000Pro 

Travel BLOG:  https://4-ever-hitched.com

IMG_5421.jpeg.c1f697a00240a9bd6729b0930bd3a4aa.jpeg

• Moderators
32 minutes ago, HDRider said:

Why is the OP an image?

image.png.7aca94b891794a9edc64c335b6598ac0.png

Probably because he posted the same text to several travel trailer forums in his information seeking quest and just wanted to type his narrative once.  Mike

• Like 2

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

17 hours ago, Bobby P said:

Our sea kayaks are 16 foot. They will be on the roof of the tow vehicle.

Just curious what is the name of the other manufacturer?

Just a wild guess (and probably wrong), but it might be Alliance from the 5th wheel world.  I’ve heard nothing but good comments on the quality and warranty response.  I don’t want a 5er, but if I did this would get a serious look from me.

Hull #364 - The Roadrunner 

2023 F350 CCLB SRW 6.7L

ALAKAZARCACOFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMSMO

4 hours ago, Mike and Carol said:

Probably because he posted the same text to several travel trailer forums in his information seeking quest and just wanted to type his narrative once.  Mike

That is exactly what I did.

• Like 1

• Moderators

He posted the same, with various manufacturer's names, in other forums.

I'm just like, hey, I'm good, 16 years later.

Pick what you want, listen to whining on other websites. 

Our trailers are easily "upgraded" as we have done. 

My February 2008 looks like new.  Easy to maintain . Double hull gives incredible strength,  plus warmth. Molded furniture means no lrot.

Back in 2007/2008 we looked at everything. Seriously.  

Hull #12, checking in. Happy campers, for 16, going on 17  seasons.

Done.

• Like 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

The Oliver checked all the boxes. 

Before buying, while shopping, I asked my self the following about various trailers:

1. How's this thing gonna do off road? How's the clearance, suspension, tires, etc?

2. How's this thing gonna tow? Aerodynamic? Good tracking? Too big or too small?

3. How's this thing gonna do with upkeep? Will screws pop out? Will things fall off? Will parts of the trailer de-laminate?

4. What's the deal with the manufacturer? Will they stand by their product? Will they answer my phone calls? How's their quality control?

5. How well can I boondock? How are the water tanks, propane system, solar generation, etc? 

6. Is it pretty?

After renting a Jayco and an Airstream, and kicking the tires on a lot of other trailers, the only thing I could find that had the right answers to the questions above was Oliver. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

2021 Elite II #841, 2020 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4, 3.0 diesel

7 hours ago, Cameron said:

Before buying, while shopping, I asked my self the following about various trailers:

1. How's this thing gonna do off road? How's the clearance, suspension, tires, etc?

2. How's this thing gonna tow? Aerodynamic? Good tracking? Too big or too small?

3. How's this thing gonna do with upkeep? Will screws pop out? Will things fall off? Will parts of the trailer de-laminate?

4. What's the deal with the manufacturer? Will they stand by their product? Will they answer my phone calls? How's their quality control?

5. How well can I boondock? How are the water tanks, propane system, solar generation, etc? 

6. Is it pretty?

After renting a Jayco and an Airstream, and kicking the tires on a lot of other trailers, the only thing I could find that had the right answers to the questions above was Oliver. 

Great check list of criteria!

• Like 1

2023 F350 CCLB SRW 6.7L

8 minutes ago, Wandering Sagebrush said:

We are SOOooo thankful there's no more "popped rivet patrol" duty.  We were tired of replacing popped interior rivets in the AS...!

Talking about things falling off - we met a young couple at an AS rally in Pagosa Springs years ago.  After having just collected their brand new 31' AS from the factory, about halfway to Pagosa they stopped for the day and discovered the entire aft overhead storage cabinet decided to release and crash down on the rear couch/dinette area.  Tore up the upholstery bad, the quality check just wasn't there.  It took several of us to man-handle the cabinet from inside and get it into their TV truck bed so they could "somewhat" enjoy their first rally.  AS sent a truck out before the end of the rally to bring the rig back to their "mothership" to attend to damages...  Whew!

• Wow 3

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca"
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

ALAZARCOIDLAMSMTNMOKTNTXUTWYsm.jpg

23 minutes ago, MAX Burner said:

We are SOOooo thankful there's no more "popped rivet patrol" duty.  We were tired of replacing popped interior rivets in the AS...!

Talking about things falling off - we met a young couple at an AS rally in Pagosa Springs years ago.  After having just collected their brand new 31' AS from the factory, about halfway to Pagosa they stopped for the day and discovered the entire aft overhead storage cabinet decided to release and crash down on the rear couch/dinette area.  Tore up the upholstery bad, the quality check just wasn't there.  It took several of us to man-handle the cabinet from inside and get it into their TV truck bed so they could "somewhat" enjoy their first rally.  AS sent a truck out before the end of the rally to bring the rig back to their "mothership" to attend to damages...  Whew!

We only had the shower door and one side of the curved under sink cabinet fall off while traveling .  Thankfully, no damage done, and easy repairs.  It’s interesting that most of the SOB trailers go downhill from that mark.  😳

• Like 3

2023 F350 CCLB SRW 6.7L

On 1/16/2024 at 11:17 AM, Mike and Carol said:
  • Quality
  • Durability
  • Easy towing
  • Service Department
  • Owner network
  • Family owned
  • This forum

Mike

11 hours ago, Cameron said:

6. Is it pretty?

Two great check lists.  My only comment is that I rated this Forum very high in my list.  Think about the potential for such a forum as a measuring tool of customer satisfaction and the type of people that buy their products.  In this rating world, OTT is so far ahead of every body else in the Universe.  

GJ

• Like 4
  • Love 1

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg