Made in USA leaf springs

Did Oliver discuss anything  about the leaf springs at 2024 Oliver Owner Rally during the Oliver Service Session Presentation?

Best Regards,

Allen 

Edited by Allen Lee Rohner

2021 Oliver Elite II, Hull # 867,    Shiloh, IL

2022 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4, 3.0L Diesel, CarbonPro

IMG_0966.jpeg.4f037cb1afdf8eed3dac8f2618d92271.jpeg

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Travel Trailers for Sale
View Inventory

We are currently in the Maritime Provinces of Canada and lost a the rear, street side leaf spring on our LE2.  I was able to get a replacement for now and will be changing mine out when we get back to NC.  Fortunately we were near Quebec City and was able to get a one  leaf spring. I will be following this topic over the next several weeks.  

2019 Ram 1500 5.7L V8, 3.92 axle ratio - 2020 LEll - Hull676

We have a 2022, so I'm keeping a close look on our springs.

When we do switch it will be to Alcan.

Somewhere I read that we need to supply the axel diameter to Alcan. Can someone confirm this

Can Oliver confirm the diameter or do I just take a string and then measure. What has everyone done? Thanks.

• Like 1

John & Susan Dorrer, 2013 F250, 6.2 gasser, 4x4, 2022 Legacy Elite 2, twin beds, Hull #1045, Jolli Olli

-ALARCOIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMAMIMNMSMOMTNENHNY

19 minutes ago, John Dorrer said:

We have a 2022, so I'm keeping a close look on our springs.

When we do switch it will be to Alcan.

Somewhere I read that we need to supply the axel diameter to Alcan. Can someone confirm this

Can Oliver confirm the diameter or do I just take a string and then measure. What has everyone done? Thanks.

John,

If you tell Alcan you want a set of springs for a Oliver Legacy Elite II they have a default for undersprung install and 3” u bolts  

almost all Oliver E2s should have a 3” diameter axle. I double checked mine with a set of calipers just to calm my ocd.  The reason to check is just to reassure the correct u bolts are ordered at time of purchase as there had been at least one report of replacement axles on older E2s being of different diameters.   Springs should be the same regardless

You can certainly do the string circumference then to the math for diameter. 

You can also check the stickers on your axles. It should look something like this and say D52 capacity - 3500 lbs as our trailers are only a year apart you and I should have very similar axle specs

IMG_8232.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2021 Elite II, Hull# 898

2018 Toyota Tundra, 2003 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9l SRW

@John Dorrer - John; that's correct.  You'll need to examine your Dexter D35 axles and determine if you've got 2-1/2" or the 3" diameter units.  I believe most Olivers were initially configured with the 3" diameter D35's, but Dexter makes both sizes.  

Lew or Mike at Alcan will sell you the appropriate U-bolts for your axles with your leaf spring order.  Note that U-bolts are a one-time use item, so you shouldn't re-use your current U-bolts/nuts/washers.  Also, the new Alcan-made U-bolt kits arrive unpainted, it would be a good time to clean off the machining oil and hit them with a good oil-based product such as Rust-Oleum to slow down the accumulation of oxidation on them.  Plus, it will make those nice Alcan 5-packs and running gear look "all new and shiny."

Keep us posted on your upgrade efforts!

Cheers!

• Like 3

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca"
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

ALAZARCOIDLAMSMTNMOKTNTXUTWYsm.jpg

31 minutes ago, John Dorrer said:

John, if you haven’t already, contact Dexter and request a spec/build sheet of your axle/spring assy. You will have to provide them with your axle serial number. 

Attached is a copy of my build sheet with all the info on the axles and springs, under “shop order notes and options” you can see my axles are 3” diameter. The axles and springs are supplied from Dexter as an assembly, D52 = 5200lbs capacity and the springs are 1750lbs capacity. 

image.thumb.jpeg.e51972b58ba3c07e26c1958c988b572f.jpeg

• Thanks 2
  • Like 4

2023 Elite II, Hull# 1386, Lithium Platinum Package (640AH, 400W Solar, 3000W Xantrex Inverter)
Truma water heater & AC

TV: 2024 Silverado 2500HD 6.6L 10-Speed Allison

2 hours ago, rich.dev said:

John, if you haven’t already, contact Dexter and request a spec/build sheet of your axle/spring assy. You will have to provide them with your axle serial number. 

Attached is a copy of my build sheet with all the info on the axles and springs, under “shop order notes and options” you can see my axles are 3” diameter. The axles and springs are supplied from Dexter as an assembly, D52 = 5200lbs capacity and the springs are 1750lbs capacity. 

The way I read your label, the model # is D52, but the weight rating is 3500 lbs. Yes, springs are rated at 1750 lbs. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rich.dev said:

Our trailer is a 2022, picked up on 3/10/22, with the Easy-Flex. I would assume ours is the same, but I will confirm.

John & Susan Dorrer, 2013 F250, 6.2 gasser, 4x4, 2022 Legacy Elite 2, twin beds, Hull #1045, Jolli Olli

26 minutes ago, Jack Coddington said:

The way I read your label, the model # is D52, but the weight rating is 3500 lbs. Yes, springs are rated at 1750 lbs. 

Axle weight rating is 5200lbs/axle, spring weight rating is 1750lbs (x 2 = 3500/axle, hence the 7000lbs GVWR), GVWR of 7000lbs is based on the weakest link, ie the springs

• Like 4

2023 Elite II, Hull# 1386, Lithium Platinum Package (640AH, 400W Solar, 3000W Xantrex Inverter)
Truma water heater & AC

TV: 2024 Silverado 2500HD 6.6L 10-Speed Allison

3 hours ago, rich.dev said:

Within 5 minutes of texting Dexter with a screen shot of the axel label, I got a text and an e-mail with the document attached. Wow! Thanks for the suggestion.

• Like 4

On 7/18/2024 at 8:38 AM, Ray Kimsey said:

I will be following this topic over the next several weeks.  

Everything has been said, great info here from many members.

It's a long 17-page read! 🤣

• Like 4

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

I started to install the ALCAN springs that came while I was on vacation. I was surprised to find the 1/2 U bolts were 2 1/2 in instead of 3 in. I have #3500 lb axles with 3 in tubes. I guess they can be either size diameter.  Contacted Lew and he quickly verified pics and said new ones would be in the mail tomorrow. This is just a reminder for everyone that orders to make sure and give them the tube diameter of your axles. If anyone is in need of the 2 1/2 U-bolt set I have just message me. 

IMG_9740.jpeg

IMG_9750.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

- Mike

Nashville, TN

2018 Elite II - Spirit of Adventure Hull #308  - Toyota Tundra 

My Oliver  storage building door has very limited height clearance for my Oliver L2. If I install new ALCAN springs will it result in raising the height of my Oliver? If so, by how much? If so, is there an alternative solution?

Thanks.

• Like 1

2022 Oliver Legacy Elite II, Hull 1242, 9/26/22

Lithium Platinum Power/Solar Package

Tow with Supercrew Cab 2019 F-150 4 x4, 5.0L 4-Valve V8 with 3.73 axle ratio & 157" wheelbase.

F-150 GCWR of 16,900 lbs with maximum load trailer of 11,500 lbs.

Thank you to everyone who has shared their thoughts in this thread. I'll admit that I knew very little about leaf springs until one of ours failed last week on our 2019 LEII. What can I say? I'm the wife and am not too interested in discussing the mechanical operation of things but I am also the detail-oriented and "let's make sure we have all the information before making a decision" half of this team. You all educated me on this topic and I appreciate the knowledge as we decide what springs to go with moving forward. For the record, ours broke in the same trouble spot as many of the other Dexter 1750# 4-leaf ones and we have done mostly highway driving. I would venture to say, since there were 5 of us in the span of a few days who reported broken springs, that this is likely more common than some may have thought. I'll be submitting a ticket to Oliver just so they'll have record of the break.

Mindy

• Like 6

Joe and Mindy ▪️ 2019 Legacy Elite II ▪️ Hull 457

ALAZARFLILIAKSKYLAMNMSMONENMOKTNTXUTWI66

• Moderator+
8 hours ago, rideadeuce said:

... If anyone is in need of the 2 1/2 U-bolt set I have just message me.

At about $16 per U-Bolt, Lew would probably like to have those back.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• Moderator+
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, jdmmtx said:

...I would venture to say, since there were 5 of us in the span of a few days who reported broken springs, that this is likely more common than some may have thought. I'll be submitting a ticket to Oliver just so they'll have record of the break.

Mindy

I've been following the number of broken springs for over three years. All were four leaf springs and all have broken in exactly the same place and manner. Being a moderator here on the forum and an admin on the primary FB page, I've heard about or seen probably 30-40 reports of broken leafs. But because only about 10% of the owners are active on either or both platforms, I suspect the number of spring failures that have occurred is actually much greater than has been reported. There are well over 1600 Oliver TT that have be built. Elite I's comprise about 16.5% of them. Since they have always had the heavier 5-leaf spring pack and the 5200 pound axles they are the least likely to fail. I've not heard of any so far. That leaves nearly 1400 trailers that have the weaker springs all of which are subject to failure. As everyone knows, all the Elite II's built since 2022 have come with 5200 pound axles BUT they are still built with the 1750 pound 4-leaf spring packs. The springs are the weakest link in your suspension systems.

I can not tell you that you WILL have a spring failure. There are many that have not. But I will promise you that, if you do, it will NEVER be in a convenient, dry, warm or cool, flat, smooth place. It will be on the side of the road or in a parking lot somewhere. Replacing one at home with all the tools you need is a challenge. Replacing one while you are on the road with no help will be daunting, dangerous and all but impossible. You WILL need more tools than you likely brought along. And all that's assuming you have all the proper parts with you in the first place.

I've replaced a bunch of springs in the last few years and have some owners coming to Tupelo in the next few weeks so I can help them replace theirs. It is not an easy job but it is easier to be pro-active rather that re-active. If you are so inclined and can afford a set of the Alcan's, I highly recommend them. If not, buy a pair of cheap replacements to take along with you and some extra $$ to pay someone to install them for you. Don't forget to have a full set of new U-Bolts also as they are a one-time use only item.

Edited by ScubaRx
  • Thanks 4
  • Like 7

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

5 hours ago, ScubaRx said:

At about $16 per U-Bolt, Lew would probably like to have those back.

I suspect it was not worth the shipping cost for him because he did not do an exchange just shipped out the correct U-bolts same day. I had talked about my axle tube widths when the order was placed due to the confusion about what U-bolts to order expressed here on the forum (2 1/2 in vs 3 in tube width). Lew did say that most D35 axles he had seen from us were 2 1/2 in tube width. So, I believe, that is why he sent them. Called mine an oddball and that from now on he will make sure that the width of the axle is confirmed. Excellent customer service from Lew and others at ALCAN spring. It doesn’t hurt that over 100 Oliver owners have ordered upgraded springs from them. 

Again, if anyone can use them on this forum and can do a local pick-up, just PM me. They are our yours, I don’t need them.

Edited by rideadeuce
  • Like 1

- Mike

Nashville, TN

4 hours ago, ScubaRx said:

If you are so inclined and can afford a set of the Alcan's, I highly recommend them. If not, buy a pair of cheap replacements to take along with you and some extra $$ to pay someone to install them for you. Don't forget to have a full set of new U-Bolts also as they are a one-time use only item.

I agree and have previously posted that DIY spring changes on the road is NOT something to even consider doing.  

However, as also previously posted, I woud NEVER suggest replacing the 1750 springs in kind.  Not enough steel.  For some the ALCON 2700 springs are an option.  But also for others who want a more compliant but stronger spring, the logical alternatve is the Dexter 2400 pound PB4 springs.  

Always be aware that spring sizing can be too little or be "over sprung".  Changing from 1750 to 2700 springs is a huge difference.  Some at OTT have confidentially stated that they are a bit too "over sprung".  But if your trailer is really heavy or your are a near full time boondocker then they likely would fill the bill well.

GJ

Edited by Geronimo John
  • Like 4

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

15 hours ago, rideadeuce said:

I started to install the ALCAN springs that came while I was on vacation. I was surprised to find the 1/2 U bolts were 2 1/2 in instead of 3 in. I have #3500 lb axles with 3 in tubes. I guess they can be either size diameter.  Contacted Lew and he quickly verified pics and said new ones would be in the mail tomorrow. This is just a reminder for everyone that orders to make sure and give them the tube diameter of your axles. If anyone is in need of the 2 1/2 U-bolt set I have just message me. 

IMG_9740.jpeg

IMG_9750.jpeg

Also, I hope someone can confirm what Lew told me. Torque setting for 1/2" diameter U-bolts is 65#, and 90# for those with 9/16" diameter U-bolts. Thanks. 

12 minutes ago, Jack Coddington said:

Also, I hope someone can confirm what Lew told me. Torque setting for 1/2" diameter U-bolts is 65#, and 90# for those with 9/16" diameter U-bolts. Thanks. 

1/2 is 65 ft/lbs

9/16 is 90 ft/lbs

Is correct.

Make sure to tighten bolts in a cross-pattern and re-torque after 100 miles. 

• Thanks 1

- Mike

Nashville, TN

11 hours ago, jdmmtx said:

Thank you to everyone who has shared their thoughts in this thread. I'll admit that I knew very little about leaf springs until one of ours failed last week on our 2019 LEII. What can I say? I'm the wife and am not too interested in discussing the mechanical operation of things but I am also the detail-oriented and "let's make sure we have all the information before making a decision" half of this team. You all educated me on this topic and I appreciate the knowledge as we decide what springs to go with moving forward. For the record, ours broke in the same trouble spot as many of the other Dexter 1750# 4-leaf ones and we have done mostly highway driving. I would venture to say, since there were 5 of us in the span of a few days who reported broken springs, that this is likely more common than some may have thought. I'll be submitting a ticket to Oliver just so they'll have record of the break.

Mindy

The homework on Alcan 5-leaf springs has been done for you😊

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, ScubaRx said:

I've been following the number of broken springs for over three years. All were four leaf springs and all have broken in exactly the same place and manner. Being a moderator here on the forum and an admin on the primary FB page, I've heard about or seen probably 30-40 reports of broken leafs. But because only about 10% of the owners are active on either or both platforms, I suspect the number of spring failures that have occurred is actually much greater than has been reported. There are well over 1600 Oliver TT that have be built. Elite I's comprise about 16.5% of them. Since they have always had the heavier 5-leaf spring pack and the 5200 pound axles they are the least likely to fail. I've not heard of any so far. That leaves nearly 1400 trailers that have the weaker springs all of which are subject to failure. As everyone knows, all the Elite II's built since 2022 have come with 5200 pound axles BUT they are still built with the 1750 pound 4-leaf spring packs. The springs are the weakest link in your suspension systems.

I can not tell you that you WILL have a spring failure. There are many that have not. But I will promise you that, if you do, it will NEVER be in a convenient, dry, warm or cool, flat, smooth place. It will be on the side of the road or in a parking lot somewhere. Replacing one at home with all the tools you need is a challenge. Replacing one while you are on the road with no help will be daunting, dangerous and all but impossible. You WILL need more tools than you likely brought along. And all that's assuming you have all the proper parts with you in the first place.

I've replaced a bunch of springs in the last few years and have some owners coming to Tupelo in the next few weeks so I can help them replace theirs. It is not an easy job but it is easier to be pro-active rather that re-active. If you are so inclined and can afford a set of the Alcan's, I highly recommend them. If not, buy a pair of cheap replacements to take along with you and some extra $$ to pay someone to install them for you. Don't forget to have a full set of new U-Bolts also as they are a one-time use only item.

Great write up Steve. Thanks.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, rideadeuce said:

1/2 is 65 ft/lbs

9/16 is 90 ft/lbs

Is correct.

Make sure to tighten bolts in a cross-pattern and re-torque after 100 miles. 

IMG_8358.thumb.png.3d91113b97d9bb488ae78a09a0f98cb2.png

• Thanks 2
  • Like 2

2021 Elite II, Hull# 898

2018 Toyota Tundra, 2003 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9l SRW

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Geronimo John said:

Always be aware that spring sizing can be too little or be "over sprung".  Changing from 1750 to 2700 springs is a huge difference.  Some at OTT have confidentially stated that they are a bit too "over sprung".  But if your trailer is really heavy or your are a near full time boondocker then they likely would fill the bill well.

I may have missed this fact in this great 17 pages and growing post, does Alcan make a 4 leaf spring pack that would also work for a LE2 and still be a capacity upgrade?

Mossey

• Like 1

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”