Made in USA leaf springs

7 hours ago, Mountainman198 said:

I don't know about the other owners who have experienced a broken spring(s) but I opened a ticket the day after it broke and remained in contact with them until I sourced new springs.

Thank you for doing the right thing!

I encourage all owners that have had a spring failure to do the same.  Even if it was reported years ago.  With a dozen or so first hand reports. OTT would have the ammo they need to "dance" with Dexter. 

OWNERS: 

• If you have had a spring failure, please follow Mountainman's lead. and report it.  Even if it was yeas ago.
  • If you know an owner who has had such a failure, please reach out to them and encourage them to also report the incident.  If they can not do a first hand report, please consider submitting one on their behalf with full disclosure.

Thanks

GJ

• Thanks 2
  • Like 2

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory
37 minutes ago, jd1923 said:

This has been answered theoretically, but sure we all want to know what @Mountainman198 and @hobo experience. The 5200 LB axle makes no difference, except to be very happy they ran out of 3500 stock, and you got better bearings and brakes. 2000 LB rated 5-leaf springs vs. 1750 LB, like I wrote before is 14% stiffer, maybe a little more bang on occasion and less up and down.

I think for a variety of reasons, I will be dropping my PSI in the tires down from the 60 PSI (probably too much anyway) that I have been using down to somewhere between 45/50 PSI.  I don't think the 14% stiffer springs will even be noticeable.

I also have to keep in mind that Mike at ALCAN stated that (in his opinion), regardless of the spring quality issue, the 3500 lb springs used on the Olivers are too light.

I'll have 5300 miles in the next 6 weeks to see if we notice any weird stuff going on in the trailer with the new springs. 

Edited by hobo
  • Like 7

2018 Elite II, Hull #414 (the very last 2018 produced).  Trailer name "2 HOBOS" .   2018 F250 4X4 Crew Cab, 6.7L diesel

On 3/7/2024 at 5:52 AM, Rivernerd said:

All trailers delivered since 2022 have been supplied with two 5200 pound axles with the Dexter Nev-R- Lube hubs on them. However, they stuck with the 3500 pound 4-Leaf spring packs

Ralph:

So that the 5200# and 3500# owners are on the same page, can you confirm that both axles use the SAME spec replacement spring?

Thanks

GJ

• Like 2

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

On 3/9/2024 at 11:40 AM, ScubaRx said:

Never had any interior problems. Our trailer, with water and ready to camp, has always weighed north of 7000 pounds. And, for years we ran 80 psi in all our tires.

Hey Scuba, your Olivers (yes, plural case) are so, soooooo old! Weren't they just made better, back in the day! (you have always had a special connection to OTT to make yours one of the BEST). Most of us who have endured a long hard lifetime, working hard every day. That has made us better!

I have found that our older Hull #113 has very few of the problems cited at length in this forum. Older is better IMHO, reason why I have an older OTT and an older TV too! I can see why @SeaDawg has relished hers, for what now 16 years?

My street bike is a 1984 GL1200, just hit it's 40th anniversary! I know y'all are biased, thinking nothing prettier than a kept Oliver, right? This old classic looks pretty good for 40, right! I'd say older, mo' better! The main thing I enjoy (relish) re this forum, is us like-minded individuals. Those of us wanting to work hard to make this very important OTT investment, better and better!

GL1200.JPG

• Like 2

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

• Moderator+
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, jd1923 said:

Hey Scuba, your Olivers (yes, plural case) are so, soooooo old! Weren't they just made better, back in the day! (you have always had a special connection to OTT to make yours one of the BEST). Most of us who have endured a long hard lifetime, working hard every day. That has made us better!

I have found that our older Hull #113 has very few of the problems cited at length in this forum. Older is better IMHO, reason why I have an older OTT and an older TV too! I can see why @SeaDawg has relished hers, for what now 16 years?

My street bike is a 1984 GL1200, just hit it's 40th anniversary! I know y'all are biased, thinking nothing prettier than a kept Oliver, right? This old classic looks pretty good for 40, right! I'd say older, mo' better! The main thing I enjoy (relish) re this forum, is us like-minded individuals. Those of us wanting to work hard to make this very important OTT investment, better and better!

It would be hard to say that the Older Oliver's were "made better."  They were certainly made more slowly, taking an average of about 3 months of actual construction time. This was partly because the company was in a state of constant flux. They were always coming up with better ways of building them but basically they were still built one at a time making each system as they went along. It took them over 3 years to make the first 49 trailers and there were no two exactly alike. There were also some major setbacks during that early 2007-2010 run that caused Oliver to make some tough financial decisions including one that involved a recall of every trailer they had built up until that time and another that shut their doors for four years. Find me at the rally for full details. And the owner's must of been a major pain in their ass as we were always changing our mind throughout our builds. Poor Robert Partee, the former sales manager and, to many of us, the face and voice of Oliver, it was he that had to field our numerous requests and then find a way to try and make them happen. But, to his credit, it seems like he always did. The one thing he balked at and staunchly refused to entertain was my request to have my first Oliver painted green. To paraphrase his response, "No frickin' way, Buddy..."

The main thing that differentiates a brand new 2024 model and my 10 year old 2014 model is the amount of innovation and improvement Oliver has poured into the trailers through the years. Solar was a relative new frontier in 2014 and now there is hardly an Oliver sold without it. Who would have thought that in this short decade we'd go from choosing between Flooded Lead-Acid batteries or upgrading to AGMs to now trying to decide how many hundreds of amp hours of Lithium we can't live without.

The new 2024 Oliver Elites and Elite II's are, by far, much slicker than those built even a couple of years ago let alone those built a decade or more ago. Many people have been very happy with their trailer and have kept them for many years. Proof of this is seen in the number of units that are still in the possession of their original Owners. For the past few years I have been assisting Anita compile as accurate a list as is possible on the provenance of the older trailers and the people who have owned them through the years. We have been using early company data as well as records I compiled myself with information gleaned during the early days. To date, the Oldest Trailer still in the Original Owner's possession we found to be Hull # 007, delivered in early January of 2008. It was delivered to some guy named Bond.... 😄 just kidding about the name.

Edited by ScubaRx
  • Like 7
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

8 hours ago, jd1923 said:

My street bike is a 1984 GL1200, just hit it's 40th anniversary! I know y'all are biased, thinking nothing prettier than a kept Oliver, right? This old classic looks pretty good for 40, right! I'd say older, mo' better! 

I tend to agree, the key word is ‘classic’! This is my ‘82 CJ-8 Scrambler, less than 70,000 made in the 1980-1985 model years. 

IMG_1940.thumb.jpeg.6916c64538460306dcb39278191c79ba.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2020 OLEll, Twin, 579

2012 Silverado 1500 4x4

No installed solar, Renogy 40A DC-DC charger, 460Ah LFP battery bank/Victron SmartShunt

28 minutes ago, Ronbrink said:

I tend to agree, the key word is ‘classic’! This is my ‘82 CJ-8 Scrambler, less than 70,000 made in the 1980-1985 model years. 

Agree with @Ronbrink and @jd1923:  "Old" is not necessarily a bad thing (sometimes).  Here's my '84 R90, just north of 35k miles (my son and I literally took it to bare metal and brought it back to life in '06):

Screenshot2024-03-12at7_08_48AM.thumb.png.5553b1f436ee86878f7eb0910460e555.png

• Like 3
  • Love 2

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo S GX, Other Victron Stuff: SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller,  DC-DC Charger, 12VDC Starlink kit, and Alcan 5-pack Leaf Springs
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

OBTW:  Our new USA-made steel 5-pack springs should arrive from ALCAN Springs (Grand Junction, CO) around MAR26-ish.  $671 (incl. new U-bolts), no tax, plus shipping to NM from CO.  

FYI:  Owners interested in this mod should note that according to Mike from ALCAN, U-bolts are a one-time use item.  Once they're mounted and torqued to specification and re-torqued after 50 miles, they form a "stretch fit" and cannot be reused once originally fixed to an axle.

Screenshot2024-03-12at7_21_47AM.thumb.png.00b06c95ff07b1bbee19e8b03f157996.png

• Thanks 3
  • Like 6

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo S GX, Other Victron Stuff: SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller,  DC-DC Charger, 12VDC Starlink kit, and Alcan 5-pack Leaf Springs
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

17 hours ago, Geronimo John said:

Ralph:

So that the 5200# and 3500# owners are on the same page, can you confirm that both axles use the SAME spec replacement spring?

Thanks

GJ

We must ask ScubaRx.  The above quote came from him, not me.

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

8 hours ago, MAX Burner said:

OBTW:  Our new USA-made steel 5-pack springs should arrive from ALCAN Springs (Grand Junction, CO) around MAR26-ish.  $671 (incl. new U-bolts), no tax, plus shipping to NM from CO.  

FYI:  Owners interested in this mod should note that according to Mike from ALCAN, U-bolts are a one-time use item.  Once they're mounted and torqued to specification and re-torqued after 50 miles, they form a "stretch fit" and cannot be reused once originally fixed to an axle.

Screenshot2024-03-12at7_21_47AM.thumb.png.00b06c95ff07b1bbee19e8b03f157996.png

Hey Max, 
I spoke to Mike at Alcan yesterday and asked him several questions and also what his warranty is on these leaf packs?
He said 90 days.
Just passing this along for anyone interested in these leaf packs.

Edited by Patriot
  • Thanks 2

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor 

IMG_2879.jpeg

2 hours ago, mountainoliver said:

“Agree with @Ronbrink and @jd1923:  "Old" is not necessarily a bad thing (sometimes).”

I agree as well.IMG_0052.thumb.jpeg.3e5744102cafeed40fc45ea118a38fb1.jpeg

I agree but it means a lot of maintenance.

IMG_1573 2.JPG

• Like 6

2018 Elite II, Hull #414 (the very last 2018 produced).  Trailer name "2 HOBOS" .   2018 F250 4X4 Crew Cab, 6.7L diesel

17 minutes ago, Patriot said:

Hey Max, 
I spoke to Mike at Alcan yesterday and asked him several questions and also what his warranty is on these leaf packs?
He said 90 days.
Just passing this along for anyone interested in these leaf packs.

That's a little disappointing... Even Dexter gives a 5 year limited warranty.

• Like 2

2010 Elite II, Hull #45.  2014 Toyota Sequoia Platinum 4WD 5.7 with tow package.

59 minutes ago, CRM said:

Not fair to compare a small custom shop to Dexter. The $670 total for 4 custom leaf springs and required hardware is extremely fair. They could charge $995 and provide for a warranty. They are likely a small family-owned business and cannot have 5-years of future liability.

Your choice 1) Alcan, 2) find another supplier, or 3) buy Dexter springs with 5-year coverage for China junk, that has a high likelihood of failure. Have any of you filed warranty claims on your broken springs? I prefer the promise of craftsmen, and the product looks great in the pics, more HD in all aspects. I'd rather go better quality, less cost and forfeit the warranty. But that's me; one who NEVER pays for extended warranties (a hugely profitable industry).

If they are not right, you'll know in 90 days. And from what has been written here re their exceptional CS, they would likely work with you if their work was determined to be at fault.

Edited by jd1923
  • Like 5

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, jd1923 said:

Have any of you filed warranty claims on your broken springs?

Given that the Dexter (EMCO, TexTrail) springs are only $70/pr, I felt my time better spent playing guitar and drinking coffee than documenting and substantiating the claim to Dexter only to possibly be rewarded with another set of their springs.

Edited by Mountainman198
clarification
  • Like 3

2021 Elite II, Hull# 898

2018 Toyota Tundra, 2003 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9l SRW

54 minutes ago, Mountainman198 said:

Given that the Dexter (EMCO, TexTrail) springs are only $70/pr, I felt my time better spent playing guitar and drinking coffee than documenting and substantiating the claim to Dexter only to possibly be rewarded with another set of their springs.

Like I suggested, how important is the warranty? Just buy what you need.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jd1923 said:

Not fair to compare a small custom shop to Dexter. The $670 total for 4 custom leaf springs and required hardware is extremely fair. They could charge $995 and provide for a warranty. They are likely a small family-owned business and cannot have 5-years of future liability.

Your choice 1) Alcan, 2) find another supplier, or 3) buy Dexter springs with 5-year coverage for China junk, that has a high likelihood of failure. Have any of you filed warranty claims on your broken springs? I prefer the promise of craftsmen, and the product looks great in the pics, more HD in all aspects. I'd rather go better quality, less cost and forfeit the warranty. But that's me; one who NEVER pays for extended warranties (a hugely profitable industry).

If they are not right, you'll know in 90 days. And from what has been written here re their exceptional CS, they would likely work with you if their work was determined to be at fault.

Take Dexter out of the equation. Having only a 90 day warranty on springs that should last a decade or more is kind of ridiculous. A year at least would be reasonable. I'll probably still buy them but will now wait to see how they hold up for others who have purchased them already.

And honestly, I would pay the $995 for 2 sets if they came with a 5 year warranty. It's not about the money, it's about a company standing behind their product. I doubt even a set of Chinese Dexter's would fail that quick. 

• Like 3

2010 Elite II, Hull #45.  2014 Toyota Sequoia Platinum 4WD 5.7 with tow package.

2 hours ago, CRM said:

@CRM yes, I agree. Mike seems like a super nice guy while speaking with him on the phone yesterday. He is proud of his company and products. Per my notes from yesterday, Mike quoted me $742.68 plus a $75.00 shipping (estimate) to my zip code via UPS. Seems a little bit of a  price increase from what @MAX Burner buyers order/receipt quote shows. 

I presently have a 5 yr or 100k warranty on my new 5200# axles and leaf springs through dexter. I think I will stay in a holding pattern for now. 

• Like 2

IMG_2879.jpeg

1 minute ago, CRM said:

Take Dexter out of the equation. Having only a 90 day warranty on springs that should last a decade or more is kind of ridiculous. A year at least would be reasonable. I'll probably still buy them but will now wait to see how they hold up for others who have purchased them already.

And honestly, I would pay the $995 for 2 sets if they came with a 5 year warranty. It's not about the money, it's about a company standing behind their product. I doubt even a set of Chinese Dexter's would fail that quick. 

You sir are on point 💯.

• Like 1

IMG_2879.jpeg

8 hours ago, jd1923 said:

If anyone’s custom shop is that good there should be no reason why they can’t stand behind their product 💯%  with a very solid 3-5 year warranty. Mike at Alcan told me he has been in business 40 years and they have never had a broken leaf spring returned. 

A 90 day warranty is honestly laughable on custom suspension leaf springs costing over $700.00.
Agree with @CRM stand behind your product if it’s as good as stated. Gotta have some skin in the game and up the warranty. 

Just an observation.

Edited by Patriot
  • Like 3

IMG_2879.jpeg

15 minutes ago, CRM said:

I completely understand where you are coming from. 

However, coming from a rock crawling and jeeping background I can understand the warranty period for their products as their main business is building custom suspensions for people who will take their 4x4 rigs to places like Moab and do things to them that a teenager wouldn't do to a stolen rental car. Over time and as ALCAN gets more into the RV suspension business, perhaps their RV spring warranty will split from their off-roading line and fall more in line with that which we are used to seeing in our world.   Until then and knowing what their rock crawling customers do to their products and that the springs I purchased for my trailer are built with the same raw materials and using the same process as their offroad springs I am confident of my purchase. 

• Like 7

2021 Elite II, Hull# 898

6 minutes ago, Mountainman198 said:

I completely understand where you are coming from. 

However, coming from a rock crawling and jeeping background I can understand the warranty period for their products as their main business is building custom suspensions for people who will take their 4x4 rigs to places like Moab and do things to them that a teenager wouldn't do to a stolen rental car. Over time and as ALCAN gets more into the RV suspension business, perhaps their RV spring warranty will split from their off-roading line and fall more in line with that which we are used to seeing in our world.   Until then and knowing what their rock crawling customers do to their products and that the springs I purchased for my trailer are built with the same raw materials and using the same process as their offroad springs I am confident of my purchase. 

For example

• Like 4

2021 Elite II, Hull# 898

12 hours ago, MAX Burner said:

Agree with @Ronbrink and @jd1923:  "Old" is not necessarily a bad thing (sometimes).  Here's my '84 R90, just north of 35k miles (my son and I literally took it to bare metal and brought it back to life in '06):

Screenshot2024-03-12at7_08_48AM.thumb.png.5553b1f436ee86878f7eb0910460e555.png

A beauty Max, Nice work.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

IMG_2879.jpeg

This video is exactly the reason the shop only offers 90 days. The idea behind the 30- or 90-day warranty is for replacement of something not right upon delivery. You would be nuts to own a small business and have guys who drive like this come back after near 5 years of abuse! 🤣 
Stop for a minute and try to think from their point of view.

Want to spend another $325 ($995-670=$325) for warranty insurance on a $600 leaf spring purchase? Hmmm, WOW not me, are you crazy!?! You can for sure contact an extended warranty company and they will take your $$$ in a heartbeat! Why would you pay 54% MORE than your purchase for such coverage? OMG, just spend another $300 instead and buy another full set of leaf springs. The warranty WILL NOT HELP YOU broken down in Alaska or even 20 miles from home! Please think about what you are saying. This may be a very good supplier for our forum OTT owners. 

Lot of negativity expressed here (last half dozen posts) re the warranty, and @Mountainman198 and likely all, yes, I bet all of the other OTT owners that have had failed springs have NOT used the warranty they already have. So, if one of these springs fail on you, are you going to file for warranty? Or are you going to do what you need to do, to get back on the road. Uh, the latter.

Let's PLEASE get off this trivial subject. BUY the spring or DON'T, it's a free marketplace. I'm happy to see they already have 10+ orders for servicing our OTT Community, and I will certainly buy a set as @MAX Burner did today within the next year (already put $6K into our money-pit OTT in the 8 months since we took possession).

• Thanks 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Mountainman198 said:

Love to meet you one day, get around the campfire and play some guitar! Sounds Great! I usually travel with one, and always on longer trips.😂

• Like 4