Air Conditioner Short Cycling

Good morning!

We have a 2021 LE2 #743 that we picked up mid-February. Our first few trips we had no need for the A/C. We did turn it on after pick up to make sure it came on and cooled but didn't really run it for any amount of time with it being winter with snow on the ground in Tennessee.

Our past few trips when we have used it overnight and some during the day it short cycles (that's the term my husband used). The fan comes on runs 5 or so minutes then cuts off.  Five or so minutes later it does the same thing. About every 4th time the compressor will kick on for a few minutes and then right back off. It cools fine however it is impossible to sleep with the constant on and off cycling. Friends that we camped with this past weekend even asked us what was up with the constant cycling of the A/C. We were hooked up to shore power every time we have used the A/C.

Anyone have any ideas? It's the Dometic 11k A/C unit and is brand new.

Guess we'll start a ticket with service unless someone here has ideas on what could be wrong.

Thanks,

Cindy

Charlie & Cindy / Cleburne, TX / 2021 Elite II Hull #743 / 2013 Ford F250 Diesel 4WD Supercab

ALLATNTXmed.jpg

There are so many possible reasons that the average owner won't be able to do much. I think you need to have an AC technician check everything, it may be low on refrigerant, have faulty wiring or control board, or perhaps the evaporator coils are icing up, if it is super humid outside. The latter can be solved by running on just fan for an hour so the ice can melt. Good luck.

John Davies

Spokane WA

"Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II NARV (Not An RV) Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 33" LT tires, airbags.

A few things to consider:

What was the voltage displayed on the progressive readout before the unit cycled the fan, during the fan, and when the compressor tried to cycle.

Do you have the easy start?

RB

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

We do have the easy start but we have only run the A/C while hooked to shore power. Does it still use the easy start then or only when on generator or invertor?

Charlie & Cindy / Cleburne, TX / 2021 Elite II Hull #743 / 2013 Ford F250 Diesel 4WD Supercab

ALLATNTXmed.jpg

• Moderators
20 minutes ago, Time2Go! said:

Does it still use the easy start then or only when on generator or invertor?

Yes the ac will use the Easy Start any time it powers up regardless of the source of power.

• Like 1

2017 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Not sure if this will help your problem?  My Ac would cycle  often if it had been a hot day. I found when you first start your Ac open all you cabinet doors your pantry, closet and the bathroom door.  A lot of heat gets trapped in those areas. Once all that radiated heat  is removed the interior remains cooler. And the Ac unit didn’t cycle as often. In stead of every 5 mins it was 20-30 minutes. Worth a try. 

I totally agree with John E Davies comments - Googling " rv ac compressor starts then stops" is not reassuring!

I just happened on this on Keystone forum...maybe helps or worthless.

Then this in info I found on the Easy Start site about short-cycle prevention - maybe looking at the Easy Start display could be a clue?

Unfortunately, the list of potential issues (and links to things) is very long), like the above, or overheating, or ....

Good luck on finding the cause and solution!